LaCrosse / Wausau, WI - HDTV - Page 48 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1411 of 1547 Old 11-13-2009, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have accomplished my goal...I have Fox in HD off the air in the valley here in Prairie du Chien. Thanks to the data on tvfool.com, I felt I had a chance to obtain a signal, so I bought an Antennacraft MXU59 and 28db preamp from my local Radio Shack and installed it in my attic. On a cheap RCA digital converter in the attic I was able to obtain a 47% signal, so I wired it the rest of the way to the Sony and I have been enjoying the Packers in HD even though they currently stink.

I am not able to receive WXOW at all...probably due to the higher UHF channel and the fact that I'm looking through my roof. I realize that a big snowfall would most likely kill the WLAX signal, but I am willing to face the music, and if Mediacom ever decides to transmit Fox in HD, I'll just sell the antenna and preamp at a garage sale and still claim victory!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1547 Old 12-08-2009, 02:06 PM

For those South of La Crosse, the Iowa Public Television repeater in Lansing, IA is now up broadcasting KYIN from Mason City on channel 38. I don't know how
long it has been up, but it just came up when I did a rescan.

Here's the coverage map:

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...LD1298190.html

This is huge coverage expansion from the previous analog channel 41 from this tower. I wasn't even expecting to receive it, so it was a pleasant surprise.
post #1413 of 1547 Old 12-08-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdub View Post

For those South of La Crosse, the Iowa Public Television repeater in Lansing, IA is now up broadcasting KYIN from Mason City on channel 38. I don't know how

This is huge coverage expansion from the previous analog channel 41 from this tower. I wasn't even expecting to receive it, so it was a pleasant surprise.

Here on the northside of La Crosse WHLA is my strongest station, often coming in at 100% power.
post #1414 of 1547 Old 12-09-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elocs View Post

Here on the northside of La Crosse WHLA is my strongest station, often coming in at 100% power.

WHLA comes in great for me too and yeah, IPTV has roughly the same PBS programming that WPT does, but they do have quite a few programs that WPT doesn't so it's nice to have options if you can recieve it. The Red Dwarf and Red Green re-runs sold me. Also, unlike the other networks, PBS doesn't seem to dictate a schedule so there's almost always different programming on IPTV and WPT at any given time.
post #1415 of 1547 Old 12-16-2009, 06:47 PM

Liked: 11
Here are the Eau Claire HD locals carried on Charter digital cable if you have a cable box:
600 WHWC-DT - PBS
605 WEUX-DT - FOX (note - this is really WLAX-DT, since it's in HD)
606 WEAU-DT - NBC
608 WKBT-DT - CBS
618 WQOW-DT - ABC
I recently hooked up a TV with a QAM tuner, and I was able to recieve 600, 606, 608 and 618 all in HD. But 605 (WLAX) is missing. And since that's the channel with approximately 12 Packers games per year (more if they make the playoffs) that might be a problem if we get a second HD set and don't want to rent a second HD cable box.
Has anyone in the Eau Claire area gotten FOX HD over QAM without a box from Charter?
P.S. Clear QAM channels also include the music channels (audio only), the public access channels from various cities in the area, and the WPT subchannels (Wisconsin Channel and Create.)
post #1416 of 1547 Old 12-16-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeway36 View Post

Here are the Eau Claire HD locals carried on Charter digital cable if you have a cable box:
600 WHWC-DT - PBS
605 WEUX-DT - FOX (note - this is really WLAX-DT, since it's in HD)
606 WEAU-DT - NBC
608 WKBT-DT - CBS
618 WQOW-DT - ABC
I recently hooked up a TV with a QAM tuner, and I was able to recieve 600, 606, 608 and 618 all in HD. But 605 (WLAX) is missing. And since that's the channel with approximately 12 Packers games per year (more if they make the playoffs) that might be a problem if we get a second HD set and don't want to rent a second HD cable box.
Has anyone in the Eau Claire area gotten FOX HD over QAM without a box from Charter?
P.S. Clear QAM channels also include the music channels (audio only), the public access channels from various cities in the area, and the WPT subchannels (Wisconsin Channel and Create.)

Yes
102-1 on a Vizio. coming in tonight
25-1 on a Panny, not coming in tonight, has in the past
post #1417 of 1547 Old 12-17-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdub View Post

Here's the coverage map:

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...LD1298190.html

Neat info!

Here on the La Crosse south side with my little indoor antenna, I can't pull it in, though if I point the antenna in the right direction it does pause on ch 38 for quite a while before ultimately not grabbing it. Something new to shoot for!
post #1418 of 1547 Old 12-17-2009, 08:06 AM

I need all your help...any idea why I wouldn't be able to get WEAU 13.1 when I live right in Eau Claire?!?!? I have satellite, so it isn't a problem, but it just bugs me. I have the OTA tuner box that I use with the satellite and can get WQOW 18.1 and FOX 48.1 perfectly. Very strange to me. I would like to get 13.2 24/7 weather.
post #1419 of 1547 Old 12-17-2009, 03:43 PM

Liked: 12
Are you using an indoor antenna or a rooftop antenna? WEAU transmits digitally on channel 13 (VHF High), and VHF High DTV stations have been notoriously hard to receive with indoor antennas. It doesn't help that WEAU's transmitter is about 30 miles out of town, near Fairchild.
post #1420 of 1547 Old 12-17-2009, 04:17 PM

Just inside...I'm just surprised that they would expect people right in the city that don't have cable/sat to have to put an outdoor one up just to watch tv from that close...amazing. I take it that ABC and FOX transmit differently then? They pull in up to 100% with no problem at all. Thanks for your input.
post #1421 of 1547 Old 12-17-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamilky View Post

Just inside...I'm just surprised that they would expect people right in the city that don't have cable/sat to have to put an outdoor one up just to watch tv from that close...amazing. I take it that ABC and FOX transmit differently then? They pull in up to 100% with no problem at all. Thanks for your input.

Yes, 18s transmitter is right in town and 48s is out towards Elk Mound.
post #1422 of 1547 Old 12-17-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamilky View Post

As Jon Ellis said, DTV on VHF has been a bit of a mismatch from the analog days. VHF channels (2 through 13) have a HUGE range compared to the higher UHF range. That' s why VHF towers are typically located a long distance from the host city. Channel 10 in Rochester is in Blue Earth, Channel 8 in La Crosse is in Galesville, and Channel 13 is in Fairchild, but they have a an enormous coverage area compared to the UHF channels for those cities. The digital conversion seems to have caused a lot of trouble for people with indoor antennas in these areas. However, on the whole the range is still great if you have a good antenna. For example, I am able to receive channel 10 perfectly at over 60 miles away in a valley and channel 13 occasionally at 80 miles. I'm sure you could pick up 13 fine with an improved antenna if it's worth it to you.
post #1423 of 1547 Old 12-18-2009, 06:57 AM

Hey Itsamilky:

If you're using rabbit ears for channel 13, shorten each rod to ~13", lay the rods out flat (horizontal and in the same axis) and broadside to the E/W. It would also help to put the antenna in an East-facing window as high as possible. Unless you're in the third ward, you should get 13. You should still get ch 18, and probably ch 48. Hopefully you're also getting 28 ;>)

Good luck!!

Ustabe
post #1424 of 1547 Old 12-19-2009, 04:42 PM

Thanks. We just got a Vizio too and 102-1 is FOX.
post #1425 of 1547 Old 01-14-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
The FCC approved the sale of WBIJ to WAOW/WYOW today.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #1426 of 1547 Old 01-30-2010, 10:19 AM

I just noticed that TitanTV now thinks there's a WXOW-DT3 19.3, This TV. It's not actually on the air as of now, but I'm guessing it'll be added soon...?
post #1427 of 1547 Old 02-01-2010, 07:16 PM

WXOW 19.3 is now on the air as of today, carrying This TV.
post #1428 of 1547 Old 02-02-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunmanik View Post

WXOW 19.3 is now on the air as of today, carrying This TV.

Thanks for the heads up, I wouldn't have noticed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_TV

That's an interesting choice. I was counting on WXOW picking up RTN instead though since they're listed as the RTN affiliate in the La Crosse market. Oh well, I'll take it.
post #1429 of 1547 Old 02-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
This TV is better than RTN in my opinion. RTN is available on fox 55 as 55.3 in Wausau. WAOW in Wausau carries This TV. My family enjoys This TV much more. While ther are good shows on RTN, This TV has a lot of obscure movies with big names as well as a few bigger classics sprinkled here and there. Many of the obscure movies are quite good, while the big movies are classics, such as John Wayne in The Alamo and Clint Eastwood in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Just my opinion.

Bill
post #1430 of 1547 Old 02-02-2010, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am only using a converter, so I don't have a display of the bit rate of 19-3. But it isn't high as I noticed quite a bit of pixelation during a movie with very rapid scene changes.
post #1431 of 1547 Old 02-03-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachmn View Post

I am only using a converter, so I don't have a display of the bit rate of 19-3. But it isn't high as I noticed quite a bit of pixelation during a movie with very rapid scene changes.

Might have just been a bad encoding job or transmission errors. The stream appears to be the same rate as all of the other sub-channels I get:

19.1: MPEG2 1280x720 (aspect 3) 59.940 fps 12900.0 kbps (1612.5 kbyte/s)
19.2: MPEG2 704x480 (aspect 2) 29.970 fps 2592.0 kbps (324.0 kbyte/s)
19.3: MPEG2 704x480 (aspect 2) 29.970 fps 2592.0 kbps (324.0 kbyte/s)
post #1432 of 1547 Old 02-05-2010, 07:47 PM

I used to own the cable company Charter now operates here. But I haven't had cable tv since roughly 1993. I just lit up WXOW-19.3 digital myself tonight (Fri, 2/5/10). I've been receiving digital channels from rabbit ears here on a hill poised next to I-90 on Sparta's south side near its Country Kitchen. I live at Apple Blossom Apartments. I mostly collect films on DVD and only watch network newscasts off the local stations here. I watch the films on an Epson projector for old school NTSC signal, but will eventually get a high def projector. I planted a beige dish-like radio shack omnidirectional UHF-vhf antenna in a utility closet where all rg-59 ends of my apartment's antenna system converge. There are four outlets, one in each of four rooms including two bedrooms, the kitchen and living room. Lately I'm getting everything but Eau Claire NBC 13 on the Radio Shack Omni, which, incidentally, has a pre-amp that plugs in. In the experimental days of digital, the antenna hung from a light bulb fixture in that closet and I turned it to maximize what minimal digital signal I could find. Most of you probably know that the FCC's digital experiment has failed and the agency is likely to be allowing new translators to reach the people 'lost in transition.' I haven't heard anything about it yet, but translators are the natural solution to the problem unless something new develops. Anyway, I am the third single floor apartment in a stack of six arranged north to south. 19, 25 and 31 are due west of me in Minnesota, three transmitters all grouped together, and it sounds like KTTC with a translator off the Fox 25 tower. My family owns an FM over Winona (WFBZ 105.5) with a translator on 25's tower too, transmitter insider the building. Its pretty crowded over there. Channel 8's vhf tower is north somewhere near Holmen and on the Wisconsin side of the Mississippi. 13's tower is in Fairchild and the hardest of all for me to get. I get it off an $8 pair of rabbit ears from Wally World in my bedroom which is the northernmost of the 2 bedrooms I have. Its perfect all the time and the ears are right on top of the set, which is convenient. But I can't get 13 NBC anywhere else in this building except there that I know of. I use VCRs to tape the network news and any off air programs I'm interested in, from those ears and from the Omni in the closet. I watch close to nothing live, all tape and DVD. Occasionally I watch Netflix or Hula or something straight off the Net to my laptop, s-video out to the projector. I watch some occasional **********s that way too. I once made a VHS copy of a CBS Evening News broadcast I had missed right off the net just to see how good the quality is. It's not quite as good from CBS's website as it is off air here. There's an RCA (just a name these days, owned by Thompson Europe now I think) adjustable vhf-uhf with pre-amp laying over my cupboards in the kitchen, with which I feed ABC 19 to a small set in the kitchen with., yes, a vcr right beneath it. I can't even remember how many digital converters I have, but I'm using just five, and actively looking at tape from just three normally. A little $45 sansonic model converter I bought at Target in Atlanta is the best of them. The folks watching cable don't know that their normal vhf pics don't come near the clarity of what is available converted into digital NTSC pictures coming right off the air. In Atlanta I got 28 digital channels off the air with that $8 set of rabbit ears. I have a number of 25 and 32 inch old school NTSC TV sets that I paid nothing for to watch most TV because it strikes me the the HDTV sets are mostly too small for the price, producing not really that much more picture. My projector cost $600 and projects a larger than hdtv picture on my off-white wall that is completely satisfactory. I can buy a High Def for $1,200 and probably eventually will. I bought one of those 32 inch sets in Atlanta for $20 from a company that conducted satellite business TV conferences to save the expense of travelling for corporate employees. The company had switched to Hi Def. There are still five sets available there. You can probably get a practically new 25 to 32 inch here too with an ad on Craigslist anywhere.

I've figured out what Dave Magnum is likely to do with channel 23 in La Crosse, channel 50 in Tomah and a low power UHF in Eau Claire. He bought La Crosse 23 in early 2009 after owning and experimenting with channel 50 in Tomah for a few years. He clearly plans to launch all three of his TV stations, probably with the same 24 hour network - ION right now in Tomah- and get all three of them onto Charter Cable which mostly follows the outlines of the La Crosse-Eau Claire TV market Charter mostly dominates. That will put him in the unique position of having an 'indy' channel in the air and on cable, a market niche that he can sell advertising with. I know Dave because he and my family are radio competitors in Monroe and La Crosse county. He's got two FMs and an AM and so do we. Interestingly, there is the prospect now of there being more competition in the TV business than there is in radio in this area. Add up all the digital TV channels now operating or planned, all the cable channels and the satellite channels too. TV is becoming so splintered, the advertising communities for each little channel base are shrinking. Magnum will be compelled to go Hi Def with his little low powers eventually too. But TV is splintering into so many small components, with cable having to share now with satellite, that TV advertising is bound to cost less than it does now eventually. There are going to be a lot of new business models growing out of that. Of course radio will have its own digital revolution within the next few years too. There's digital on the air everywhere. If you get a receiver you can get it all now. But there will eventually be internet radio you can pick up while moving in your car too. So who knows what that will eventually look like.
post #1433 of 1547 Old 03-15-2010, 06:19 AM

Looks like WQOW lit up "This TV" on 18-3 late last week. I wonder how long it will take before the PSIP program guide info is available for the new channel?
post #1434 of 1547 Old 03-25-2010, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustabe View Post

Looks like WQOW lit up "This TV" on 18-3 late last week. I wonder how long it will take before the PSIP program guide info is available for the new channel?

Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't aware of the new channel. I did a rescan and now pick it up.

Find your Perfect BOOM! at
boomfinder.com
post #1435 of 1547 Old 05-01-2010, 02:20 PM

A little tip for any NPR fans. On Charter cable in Eau Claire and La Crosse, Winona's public access channel is digital channel 987. The audio feed is KZSE-FM from Rochester -- the news/talk channel of Minnesota Public Radio.
post #1436 of 1547 Old 05-21-2010, 08:25 AM

Anyone know what happened to FOX HD QAM channel? It isn't in the 102's anymore for me. Eau Claire Charter.
post #1437 of 1547 Old 05-21-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudl3r View Post

Anyone know what happened to FOX HD QAM channel? It isn't in the 102's anymore for me. Eau Claire Charter.

I don't know about Eau Claire, but they have recently moved the QAM channel locations here in the LA Crosse area as well for HD channels... here are the locations here in La Crosse... hopefully it is helpful to you in Eau Claire...

77-2 WKBT- CBS
77-3 WXOW- ABC
78-1 WEAU- NBC
79-5 WLAX- Fox
79-8 WHLA- PBS

here are some highlights for SD channels I found when I rescanned...

17-2 WCCO- CBS- Twin Cities
17-3 KMSP- Fox- Twin Cities
17-4 KTTC- NBC- Rochester

77-4 THIS (WXOW-DT3)
78-4 24/7 Weather (WEAU-DT2)
79-4 WIS Channel (WHLA-DT2)
79-6 Create/ PBS Kids (WHLA-DT3)
80-4 through 80-51 Music Choice
106-4 ion (not KQEG, but full network schedule)
post #1438 of 1547 Old 05-26-2010, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the lead on the 70's range... I found our FOX HD at 77.1. All our others are still in the 600's as before.

Thanks again.

Oh my, just noticed your first post was to try and help me out. Wow. I think they'll like you here!
post #1439 of 1547 Old 06-18-2010, 10:03 PM

This is probably old news.. WMOW Crandon is now on the air rebroadcasting WAOW.. Except the CW is on the main carrier on Channel 4.1.. WAOW is on 4.2.. This TV is on 4.3.. (the actual digital channel is 12)

I haven't played around with it to see if 4.1 is the CW network in 1080 HD..

The signal overlaps greatly with Channel 34 Eagle River.. So it might sound silly to see both stations almost sharing the same coverage.. BUT... Since the CW network is the primary channel on 4.1. I believe WAOW could now file Must Carry and force Dish Network, Directv, and other smaller cable systems in the Wausau market to air the WAOW's feed of the CW Network..
post #1440 of 1547 Old 06-18-2010, 10:39 PM

Wow, I just DXed this Friday morning from 213 miles away.
Friday I had all (afaik) the W*OW stations: WAOW, WKOW, WMOW, WQOW, WXOW, and WYOW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grgeiger View Post

This is probably old news.. WMOW Crandon is now on the air rebroadcasting WAOW.. Except the CW is on the main carrier on Channel 4.1.. WAOW is on 4.2.. This TV is on 4.3.. (the actual digital channel is 12)

I haven't played around with it to see if 4.1 is the CW network in 1080 HD..

The signal overlaps greatly with Channel 34 Eagle River.. So it might sound silly to see both stations almost sharing the same coverage.. BUT... Since the CW network is the primary channel on 4.1. I believe WAOW could now file Must Carry and force Dish Network, Directv, and other smaller cable systems in the Wausau market to air the WAOW's feed of the CW Network..

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page