Phoenix, AZ - HDTV - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #391 of 11171 Old 04-18-2005, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, someone needs to tell the folks at channel 12 to flip the switch - I need my Medium in HD!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 11171 Old 04-18-2005, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

According to the schedule on NBC.com neither Las Vegas nor Medium are in HD tonight.

Link:

http://www.nbc.com/nbc/header/TV_Schedule/index.html

"With the advent of high-definition television, home viewers will see actors with extreme clarity and detail. Thus they will demand the stars of "Sex and the City" change their names to "The Golden Girls." -Conan O'Brien, In The Year 2000: Ted Danson Edition-
post #393 of 11171 Old 04-18-2005, 09:44 PM

Lovely... I use TitanTV as my guide and it lists them both as being in HD. Oh well, I guess I'll trust NBC's site. The weird thing is that it's in letterbox...
post #394 of 11171 Old 04-18-2005, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I like watching Medium and CSI Miami, but both are on at the same time. I chose to record CSI Miami in my ht room in HD and record Medium on the bedroom Tivo. I guess I made the right decision since Medium was not in HD tonight.

BTW, anyone know why Medium has not been shown for a few weeks until now? I was beginning to wonder if the ratings were low and the show was pulled or something. The wife and I both really enjoy this show and were hoping it would return.

Don
post #395 of 11171 Old 04-19-2005, 01:50 PM
odt

Quote:

Originally posted by Shink
Anyone else having quite a few problems with ABC 15 OTA HD lately? I've noticed a few times that the sound has either gone out completely or has been badly distorted. During Alias this week I couldn't watch it because the sound was badly distorted.

Shink,

I've had tinny audio on ABC 15 OTA for the past 4 weeks. We normally don't watch ABC 15, but ever since the premier of Grey's Anatomy, the audio has had bouts of tinniness. It may have existed before, but I don't watch ABC enough to know.

I receive my OTA via a DirecTV HD Tivo with the sound coming through the television -- no receiver in this case.

Sometimes when the sound blinks when coming back from commercial, it'll either fix the problem if it existed before the commercial break or cause the problem if it didn't.

There was a post on the AZ HDTV forums from a couple other people who are experiencing this. Haven't seen an update for a couple weeks.

You are not alone.
post #396 of 11171 Old 04-19-2005, 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by odt

You are not alone.

That's kind of an ominous way of ending the response

As a total aside, just got a call from a friend saying that they just saw Britney Spears at Fashion Square mall. So if anyone is interested, maybe you can run down there and rub her belly before her bodyguards beat you up
post #397 of 11171 Old 04-19-2005, 04:31 PM
odt

Quote:

That's kind of an ominous way of ending the response

The truth is out there!

Don't panic!

Other random sci-fi quotes!

To stay slightly on-topic -- ABC 15 is wrought with technical issues, though that's not exactly news.

Thanks goodness ESPN will soon(ish) be the new home of Monday Night Football.
post #398 of 11171 Old 04-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

PQ should improve thanks to the move.

"With the advent of high-definition television, home viewers will see actors with extreme clarity and detail. Thus they will demand the stars of "Sex and the City" change their names to "The Golden Girls." -Conan O'Brien, In The Year 2000: Ted Danson Edition-
post #399 of 11171 Old 04-19-2005, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I almost always have one issue or another with ABC-15, be it not HD at the start, video hiccups after commercials, and tinny audio. Even when the audio sounds okay, I can almost always still hear just a tad of the tinny sound at times, usually voices. However, of all the shows that seem okay, Grey's Anatomy is at the top of the list along with most shows in the 9:00-10:00 slot. Unless it gets really bad and stays that way, I generally don't even notice it anymore.

Cheers, Dave
post #400 of 11171 Old 04-20-2005, 08:16 AM
odt

Quote:

Originally posted by DoubleDAZ
I almost always have one issue or another with ABC-15, be it not HD at the start, video hiccups after commercials, and tinny audio. Even when the audio sounds okay, I can almost always still hear just a tad of the tinny sound at times, usually voices. However, of all the shows that seem okay, Grey's Anatomy is at the top of the list along with most shows in the9:00-10:00 slot. Unless it gets really bad and stays that way, I generally don't even notice it anymore.

Interesting. Grey's Anatomy seems to be the worst for me. We've only watched the first 15 minutes or so of this past Sunday's episode and the entire 15 minutes is tinny. On the other hand, we watched the most recent episode of Eyes last night and it was fine the whole way through except for a few seconds of silence after the last commercial break.

Meh. At least it's not my Tivo.
post #401 of 11171 Old 04-20-2005, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

... Grey's Anatomy is at the top of the list along with most shows in the 9:00-10:00 slot. ....

Hmmm. Everytime I watch something in the 9-10 slot, it always switches to SD for the last two minutes (they always seem to make sure that switch is in right position for their news show even though they can rarely get it in the right position for the prime time programming).
post #402 of 11171 Old 04-20-2005, 03:46 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Mac The Knife
Hmmm. Everytime I watch something in the 9-10 slot, it always switches to SD for the last two minutes (they always seem to make sure that switch is in right position for their news show even though they can rarely get it in the right position for the prime time programming).

I mentioned this same thing in a previous post. I've hadn't experienced this in the other market where I lived before coming to Phoenix.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #403 of 11171 Old 04-20-2005, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mac & AFH, I was talking more about video glitches and the tinny sounding audio. Oftentimes, we head for the bedroom during the last commercial and finish the program in SD there. I generally still record them, so I'll try to remember to check the last couple of minutes to see the switch to SD. I have no reason not to believe that is the case, I'd just like to see how often if happens.

Also, remember that we in Arizona are somewhat unique because there is not always (ever?) a separate Mountain feed and we live off recorded material. Other markets don't have that same problem and that may be why the switch to SD is not seen in those markets, etc., perhaps the timing is easier to match.

FWIW, I just checked my Blind Justice recording and, sure enough, 2 minutes out the old switcheroo to SD.

Cheers, Dave
post #404 of 11171 Old 04-20-2005, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by odt
...There was a post on the AZ HDTV forums from a couple other people who are experiencing this. Haven't seen an update for a couple weeks...

The reason you haven't seen an update is because nothing has been done to correct the problem. It is always there, and has been since 15 did their 5.1 upgrade, but apparently it is too subtle for the trained engineers over there to even realize that they have a problem. Lucklily, once you have been on the channel for 10 minutes it kind of becomes not as noticeable, but when changing to 15 from a channel with real quality audio (pretty much everyone else), it is pretty shocking. I guess that's the same theory behind why a skunk can't smell its own stink.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
post #405 of 11171 Old 04-20-2005, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by TomCat
I guess that's the same theory behind why a skunk can't smell its own stink.

ROTFLMAO!!!! You do have a point though. I don't recall exactly, but I might notice it more when I tune to channel 715 from some other channel vs watching 715 for most of the evening. It could also have something to do with 5.1 vs 2.0 and I really don't keep track of that all that much, too busy just enjoying the HT experience.

Cheers, Dave
post #406 of 11171 Old 04-20-2005, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

I only watch KNXV for Lost and love the PQ but the audio does need some work...

post #407 of 11171 Old 04-20-2005, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What, no Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, Eyes, or Blind Justice? Along with Lost, those are the five I watch/record on ABC these days, though NYPD Blue is sorely missed. RIP!

Cheers, Dave
post #408 of 11171 Old 04-20-2005, 08:13 PM

Grr, channel 12 hasn't flipped the switch on Revelations tonight through the first commercial break. I still don't understand why this is so hard...
post #409 of 11171 Old 04-20-2005, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Nope. Just Lost for me...

post #410 of 11171 Old 04-20-2005, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Grr, channel 12 hasn't flipped the switch on Revelations tonight through the first commercial break. I still don't understand why this is so hard...

It's so hard because the engineer on duty is probably busy taking care of something else to do with the analog stuff or otherwise occupied. It doesn't help that the first hour (7:00-8:00) was SD, or at least I assume Dateline i\\was SD. It would probably not be as bad if they needed to do things on the same schedule every night, flip the switch at 7:00 and the flip it back at 10:00. FWIW, they seem to get it right at 10:30 when Leno comes on. Could just be that the engineer watches Leno in HD and not the other stuff.

FWIW, Smallville on WB never got switched over tonight, so it's not just NBC. At least they figured it out after the commercial.

Cheers, Dave
post #411 of 11171 Old 04-20-2005, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Soundmaster10.2
Nope. Just Lost for me...

Have you tried the others and are not interested or have you just not had time to try them? Or are there other programs on different channels that apeal to you more?

Cheers, Dave
post #412 of 11171 Old 04-20-2005, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

The reason KNXV switches to SD for the end is so they can squeeze the credits to lay on their promo junk for the 10PM news.

The reason the sound is tinny for some and not others is that the dialog in a real 5.1 setup is supposed to come from the center channel only, with the front right and left speakers used mainly for directional effects. However, KNXV mixes the center channel out to all 3 front speakers. This is no problem for a 5.1 system, because it decodes correctly. However, when downmixing to 2.0, the mix of center+left+right to left/right basically duplicates the center channel with a few ms delay, in addition to what was already on the left right, creating a nice echo/tinny sound. Anyone with a PC HD capture card and 2.0 speakers or headphones can tell this quite easily. Switch your AC3 decoder's output preference to 5.1, and the echoes go away since you only hear what is on the front left and front right channels in the AC3, but switch it to 2.0 and you hear everything mixed down to 2.0, including a delayed center channel.
post #413 of 11171 Old 04-20-2005, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by coyoteaz
The reason KNXV switches to SD for the end is so they can squeeze the credits to lay on their promo junk for the 10PM news.

You're absolutely correct, I should have remembered that as it's been explained before.
Quote:

The reason the sound is tinny for some and not others is that the dialog in a real 5.1 setup is supposed to come from the center channel only, with the front right and left speakers used mainly for directional effects. However, KNXV mixes the center channel out to all 3 front speakers. This is no problem for a 5.1 system, because it decodes correctly. However, when downmixing to 2.0, the mix of center+left+right to left/right basically duplicates the center channel with a few ms delay, in addition to what was already on the left right, creating a nice echo/tinny sound. Anyone with a PC HD capture card and 2.0 speakers or headphones can tell this quite easily. Switch your AC3 decoder's output preference to 5.1, and the echoes go away since you only hear what is on the front left and front right channels in the AC3, but switch it to 2.0 and you hear everything mixed down to 2.0, including a delayed center channel.

I think I understand what you are saying here, but I have a 5.1 system (Denon 3803) and still get the tinny audio sometimes. For example, it was there when I first switched over to Eyes from L&O tonight, but then it went away after a few seconds and is just fine now. I suppose it could be the short time it takes to switch from whatever the L&O audio was on NBC to that for Eyes on ABC. or just switching to ABC from any other channel. I'll have to keep an ear out for a while and see if I can pin it down to soemthing like that. It's been quite a while since it's lasted an entire program though.

Cheers, Dave
post #414 of 11171 Old 04-20-2005, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Have you tried the others and are not interested or have you just not had time to try them? Or are there other programs on different channels that apeal to you more?

Both but mostly because I am busy and don't have time. I wish the HD gods would bless me with a DVR. Once I start my Masters Program, I will not be a able to watch hardly any TV at all...

post #415 of 11171 Old 04-20-2005, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

With regard to the audio problem, all I can say is e-mail Ryan and complain.

Ryan Stewart: rstewart@abc15.com

post #416 of 11171 Old 04-21-2005, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

Originally posted by coyoteaz
... However, KNXV mixes the center channel out to all 3 front speakers. This is no problem for a 5.1 system, because it decodes correctly. ....

With my Yamaha receiver in DD mode, I get the dialog spread evenly across all three front channels.

If KNXV thinks that it decodes so that the dialog is (mostly) on the center channel in all 5.1 systems they are sadly mistaken.

While we are at it, why the hell are they about -10db below all the other stations? Isn't there any kind of standard reference level for these guys?
post #417 of 11171 Old 04-21-2005, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Mac The Knife
While we are at it, why the hell are they about -10db below all the other stations? Isn't there any kind of standard reference level for these guys?

It seems like someone quite awhile ago explained that there is no volume level standard for digital like there is for analog, but I could have misunderstood exactly what was being said. I don't do a lot of channel surfing, so it doesn't bother me all that much, just when they switch to commercials and I have to turn it down, then back up after. I wish they would at least keep that at a constant level.

Cheers, Dave
post #418 of 11171 Old 04-21-2005, 06:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I don't do a lot of channel surfing, so it doesn't bother me all that much, just when they switch to commercials and I have to turn it down, then back up after. I wish they would at least keep that at a constant level.

Dave,

Your TV might have an menu option to keep the volume at the same level at whatever you set it.......most of my TV's have that capability......I screwed up on a couple, in so much I forgot to see if that option was available on them when I purchased.

Regards,

Rich
post #419 of 11171 Old 04-21-2005, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You know, it just might at that. I remember I turned all the aurto stuff off when I first got my HDTV. It was mostly to set up the video and avoid burnin, but I'm sure there were some audio settings in the mix too. I'll look into it this weekend, thanks for reminding me.

Cheers, Dave
post #420 of 11171 Old 04-21-2005, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I understand what you are saying here, but I have a 5.1 system (Denon 3803) and still get the tinny audio sometimes. For example, it was there when I first switched over to Eyes from L&O tonight, but then it went away after a few seconds and is just fine now. I suppose it could be the short time it takes to switch from whatever the L&O audio was on NBC to that for Eyes on ABC. or just switching to ABC from any other channel. I'll have to keep an ear out for a while and see if I can pin it down to soemthing like that. It's been quite a while since it's lasted an entire program though.

L&O is definitely in 2.0 since it's an NBC show, and KPNX still hasn't mastered the black art of time-delayed 5.1. Most likely, your receiver decodes the 5.1 ABC as 2.0 for the short time it takes to realize that there are 6 channels there, then gets it right and decodes them all, and no more problem.

KNXV is just down the street from me...maybe I should pay them a visit and slap the engineers around a bit so they can fix the center channel being decoded to the front right/left speakers, which is probably just a remnant of the 2.0 days.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page