post #421 of 11174 Old 04-22-2005, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally posted by coyoteaz
KNXV is just down the street from me...maybe I should pay them a visit and slap the engineers around a bit so they can fix the center channel being decoded to the front right/left speakers, which is probably just a remnant of the 2.0 days.

ROTFLMAO!!! Oh, if it were only that easy.

Cheers, Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 11174 Old 04-23-2005, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by DoubleDAZ
It's so hard because the engineer on duty is probably busy taking care of something else to do with the analog stuff or otherwise occupied. It doesn't help that the first hour (7:00-8:00) was SD, or at least I assume Dateline i\\was SD. It would probably not be as bad if they needed to do things on the same schedule every night, flip the switch at 7:00 and the flip it back at 10:00. FWIW, they seem to get it right at 10:30 when Leno comes on. Could just be that the engineer watches Leno in HD and not the other stuff.

FWIW, Smallville on WB never got switched over tonight, so it's not just NBC. At least they figured it out after the commercial.

You might be reading too much into it. Or not.

Most of the switching of DT between the pristine network feed and the upconverted SD network feed (as well as in and out of local commercials) is done with auxillary commands built into the SD channel's automation. IOW, they have a computer program that controls switching of the sources for the SD channel, and with the addition of a few auxillary switch events it can control the DT channel, too (as long as it carries the same programming as the SD net feed, yet in HD). When a program is SD-only from the net, such as "Scrubs", it probably comes down in SD both on the HD net feed as well as the SD net feed, so that should not enter in to the equation other than when the local station decides to futz with the aspect ratio. I'd like to think that all of the local stations do it this way, but there might be a straglgler of two that is actually still manually "flipping the switch" on occasion (if you a carrying the WB, this might mean you).

While in theory that should mean that we always get the right feed at the right time, there are a few things that can thwart this plan. First, the SD feed is typically the backup for the HD feed. If any part of the signal chain has problems, the backup is switched in (the SD feed typically has a second SD backup feed, so we don't notice when that happens).

Also, few stations own HD graphic equipment to date, so when an amber alert, weather alert, or whenever an overzealous promotions manager enters the picture, again we get the backup.

The other thing is that there is still not a lot of monitoring of the HD feed, as it is a secondary task and comes about 7th in line after all the other tasks master control operators are asked to do these days, so a lot of stuff gets by them. Also, there is a tendency for traffic typos in the automation playlists to be more prevalent and less noticeable for the DT side than the SD side, usually for the same kinds of reasons. It shouldn't be that way, but it is. Chalk it up to still being in the infancy stage of HD.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
post #423 of 11174 Old 04-23-2005, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, I've seen the coding that does this (when I toured KPHO's digital/HD facility). The point is that if anything goes wrong anywhere in that process, things get out of whack and it takes an engineer's intervention to put things back on track. Also, I'll assume that there could be minor timing hiccups that cause a given program to start at 8:58:30 vs the 8:59 the IPG shows. I also assume that if a news program runs over by a minute or so, there also needs to be some intervention to again put things back on track, the same with news cut-ins. Specifically with ABC-15, there has to be more to it than that since they seem to have the most problems starting Lost, etc., in HD mode and getting the audio right. If it were as simple as a set of coding instructions to make things run right, there wouldn't be so many problems week after week IMO, unless they make the same coding mistakes. I suppose some of ABC-15's difficulties may also be caused by their older equipment.

Mind you, I'm not the one complaining, but there are a few who just don't seem to want to accept the fact that, like you said, we are still in the infancy stage of HD and these things will happen.

Cheers, Dave
post #424 of 11174 Old 04-23-2005, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

...unless they make the same coding mistakes...

IMO, that is the operative phrase. With broadcast automation, once you get past the growing pains 99% of the problems are because the computer does exactly what we instruct it to do. It's just that in all of those cases that don't end well, we've given it the wrong instructions.

Quote:

...I'll assume that there could be minor timing hiccups that cause a given program to start at 8:58:30 vs the 8:59 the IPG shows. I also assume that if a news program runs over by a minute or so, there also needs to be some intervention to again put things back on track, the same with news cut-ins...

EPG times vs. actual times are another example of computers doing exactly what we ask, but not exactly what we had in mind. I want Tivo to get all of "Lost", not just the last 59 minutes of it, but without human intervention, if the EPG says 8:59 and ABC starts it at 8:58, that will likely not happen.

You would think that overruns, breaking news, etc., would be things that automation vendors had designed their software to handle. Unfortunately, those are usually afterthoughts, partly because the people who both buy and sell automation software are too far removed from the trenches to realize how important those things are. Consequently, running "in the mud" becomes one of the most difficult things for an operator to do. Manual operation is much better suited to it.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
post #425 of 11174 Old 04-24-2005, 01:20 PM

Liked: 10
Wha the hell is up with KTVK 3-1? It's got audio but no video. Just wanted to watch the Dbacks on there today.
post #426 of 11174 Old 04-26-2005, 02:29 PM

Is there a way to erase all the programming lists "recording lists" or do you have to goto each and every one and delete them individually? I have too much customization and am missing programs and want to start with a clean slate, but need to know if there is an easy way?

Miguel
post #427 of 11174 Old 04-27-2005, 10:42 AM

Are the dbacks in HD on 3-1? Are they ever in HD (besides ESPN-HD)?
Has anyone had luck getting HD locals via DirecTV? If so, what process did you go through and how long did it take?
Also does anyone have any recommendations for a calibrator in the SE valley and the approximate cost (for a 60" Panasonic LCD rear projection).
Thanks,
Steve
Gilbert, AZ
post #428 of 11174 Old 04-27-2005, 11:03 AM

The Diamondbacks are not in HD on Channel 3. The SD for the games isn't even very good - especially from the center field camera.
post #429 of 11174 Old 04-27-2005, 12:36 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by splatt
Are the dbacks in HD on 3-1? Are they ever in HD (besides ESPN-HD)?

Don't know since I don't watch regular season baseball.

Quote:

Has anyone had luck getting HD locals via DirecTV? If so, what process did you go through and how long did it take?

Well, b/c our local Fox affil is a O&O (Owned and Operated by Fox) station, you can get the hd Fox station from LA thru DTV. However, Directv is launching three new sats this summer, one launched yesterday and is in space, that will provide hd lil. The first 12 markets to get local hd stations this summer/fall from DTV have been announced and Phoenix is not a part of that group. I would assume that Phoenix would be in the second or third group. So in short, you'll have to wait until, lets say, later this year to get our hd local stations from DTV.

Quote:

Also does anyone have any recommendations for a calibrator in the SE valley and the approximate cost (for a 60" Panasonic LCD rear projection).

Alas, I cannot help you with this one! Lombana may be able to tell you. I think that he or she has had his or her projector calibrated.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #430 of 11174 Old 04-27-2005, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

One of the best calibrators in the country:

Michael Hamilton
The Real Picture
Video Calibration / System Design, Consulting & Installation
Scottsdale, AZ. (and travel)
Lion A/V Associate
mhamilton@therealpicture.tv
Office: (480)419.3532

"With the advent of high-definition television, home viewers will see actors with extreme clarity and detail. Thus they will demand the stars of "Sex and the City" change their names to "The Golden Girls." -Conan O'Brien, In The Year 2000: Ted Danson Edition-
post #431 of 11174 Old 04-27-2005, 02:39 PM

We should be getting HD locals in the 2nd wave if they go by subscriber base. Phoenix is like 14th on the list or so.

As for Dbacks on 3.1, it's much, much better looking than on regular channel 3. It may not be in HD, but it looks pretty damn good.
post #432 of 11174 Old 04-27-2005, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Soundmaster10.2

Michael Hamilton
The Real Picture
Lion A/V Associate

I will second Michael Hamilton. He calibrated my CRT pj and did an excellent job. Michael is a perfectionist and won't leave until the job is done right!

Don
post #433 of 11174 Old 04-27-2005, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Deftones17
We should be getting HD locals in the 2nd wave if they go by subscriber base. Phoenix is like 14th on the list or so.

As for Dbacks on 3.1, it's much, much better looking than on regular channel 3. It may not be in HD, but it looks pretty damn good.

DirecTV is already in talks with the local stations to carry their HD channels. KTVK-DT upconverts their signal to 1080i.

"With the advent of high-definition television, home viewers will see actors with extreme clarity and detail. Thus they will demand the stars of "Sex and the City" change their names to "The Golden Girls." -Conan O'Brien, In The Year 2000: Ted Danson Edition-
post #434 of 11174 Old 04-28-2005, 07:07 AM

Thanks for all the replies.
What would I expect to pay for a calibration?

Regarding HD locals on Directv, I called them and asked for the locals and they said they'd request waivers for me. I reminded them that Fox was O&O and they said it didn't matter, they still had to request the waiver. I was under the impression that Fox could be added immediately.

Also, would anyone happen to know where I could get a Toshiba 34HF84 locally? The big boxes don't seem to carry it.
Thanks,
Steve
post #435 of 11174 Old 04-28-2005, 07:39 AM

Fox should be able to be added immediately. You need to speak to a supervisor or something. When I called, they added it within 5 minutes of the call.
post #436 of 11174 Old 04-28-2005, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Soundmaster10.2

Michael Hamilton
The Real Picture
Lion A/V Associate

That's exactly who I was going to recommend, however be prepared to wait for his services, he's booked solid and typically very busy, he's in the ISF Masters group so he does a lot of work in the industry.

Miguel
post #437 of 11174 Old 04-28-2005, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for all the replies.
What would I expect to pay for a calibration?

Regarding HD locals on Directv, I called them and asked for the locals and they said they'd request waivers for me. I reminded them that Fox was O&O and they said it didn't matter, they still had to request the waiver. I was under the impression that Fox could be added immediately.

Also, would anyone happen to know where I could get a Toshiba 34HF84 locally? The big boxes don't seem to carry it.
Thanks,
Steve

Call DirecTV and ask for the HD Distant Locals Eligibility Department. They should hook you up right away.

I would go read about the 34HF84 over in the CRT Forum. From what I understand there are some major issues with that HDTV.

post #438 of 11174 Old 04-28-2005, 06:10 PM

Hi Soundmaster,
I did call the eligibility department directly and got no instant access. I will try again.
From what I have read over at the CRT forum the 34HF84 gets excellent reviews. It's the 30HF84 that seems to be suspect.
I might wait for the 34HF85 but am a little wary of being one the first to try it.
Steve
post #439 of 11174 Old 04-28-2005, 06:36 PM

What happened to the AZ HDTV forum on infopop? Are people allowed to post links to other sites? I couldn't find it on Google.
post #440 of 11174 Old 04-28-2005, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Without going into a lot of the history, no, we are not allowed to post a link to the AZ HDTV Forum and any attempt to do so will result in a link that is automatically censored to make it unuseable. Check your PMs for some more info.

FWIW, had you googled AZHDTV, you would have probably found AZ HDTV Net and it has links to this (AVS) and other AZ-related HDTV forums, including the AZ HDTV Forum site.

Cheers, Dave
post #441 of 11174 Old 04-28-2005, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi Soundmaster,
I did call the eligibility department directly and got no instant access. I will try again.
From what I have read over at the CRT forum the 34HF84 gets excellent reviews. It's the 30HF84 that seems to be suspect.
I might wait for the 34HF85 but am a little wary of being one the first to try it.
Steve

Splatt, good luck and keep us posted on how everything comes out...

post #442 of 11174 Old 04-29-2005, 10:03 PM

Does anyone know if I will be approved by my local channels?

My parents have been receiving HD programming from Direct TV because they cannot receive any UHF channels in Rio Verde 85263. Direct TV has shut there HD channels off. Now they have a $400 receiver and cannot watch TV in HD. Direct TV has put a request in to the local channel for them to again receive the HD feeds from Direct TV. They tell me that there is only a 1 in 5 chance that It will be approved. Does this sound right? I have tried to put a UHF ant up on there home but there is a mountain in the way of the transmitters on south mountain.
post #443 of 11174 Old 04-30-2005, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Threads merged.
post #444 of 11174 Old 05-02-2005, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

anyone get some preacher talking in the beginning of Vegas tonight?

Check out Dinger's
post #445 of 11174 Old 05-03-2005, 05:32 AM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dinger23
anyone get some preacher talking in the beginning of Vegas tonight?

Yes, it was bible study. Our NBC affil didn't get the audio problem corrected until about 15 to 20 mins into Vegas.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #446 of 11174 Old 05-03-2005, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

I think they may be working on 5.1 audio...

post #447 of 11174 Old 05-06-2005, 03:55 PM

Court blocks TV anti-piracy rules
Regulations would have limited how consumers record shows
The Associated Press
Updated: 1:24 p.m. ET May 6, 2005

WASHINGTON - A U.S. appeals court on Friday threw out new federal rules to require anti-piracy technology that would have limited how consumers could record and watch their favorite television programs in the future.

The three-judge panel for the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia determined the Federal Communications Commission had exceeded its authority when it announced it would require such technology in digital televisions and other consumer electronic devices sold after July 1.

"This opens up the future for consumers to have more wide-ranging video experiences," said Art Brodsky, a spokesman for Washington-based Public Knowledge, a consumers group. "They will be able to take advantage of new products and features that won't be dictated to them by the entertainment industry."

The controversial rules were challenged by consumer groups, including library associations. Their lawyers complained the FCC requirement would drive up prices of digital television devices and prevent consumers from recording programs in ways permitted under copyright laws.

The technology, known as the broadcast flag, would have been required after July 1 for televisions equipped to receive new digital signals, many personal computers and VCR-type recording devices. It would permit entertainment companies to designate, or flag, programs to prevent viewers from copying shows or distributing them over the Internet.

Entertainment companies said the technology was needed to block viewers from recording high-quality, digital versions of television shows and films and distributing them free online.

The FCC acknowledged the agency never had exercised the authority to impose regulations affecting television broadcasts after such programs are beamed into households, but it maintained that it was permitted by Congress since lawmakers didn't explicitly outlaw it.

"We categorically reject that suggestion," the appeals panel said.

The appeals decision will launch an aggressive lobbying effort by entertainment companies in Washington to persuade lawmakers to require new technology to enforce copyright protections.

Friday's ruling was no real surprise. During courtroom arguments, U.S. Circuit Judge Harry T. Edwards told the FCC it had "crossed the line" by requiring the new anti-piracy technology for next-generation television devices and rhetorically asked the FCC whether it also intended to regulate household appliances.

"You've gone too far," Edwards told the FCC's lawyer. "Are washing machines next?"
Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
post #448 of 11174 Old 05-06-2005, 05:08 PM

I was looking for an update form those in Maricopa that currently have OTA HD and Dish Network as well.

How good is the Dish Network HD signal?
What are you having to use, what are your signal strengths, and where do you have your antenna placed (top of TV, top of house, or in attic). My house will be done in approx 4 months and they are getting ready to do the wiring so I want to make sure I have all my bases covered.

Thanks,

Jesse
post #449 of 11174 Old 05-06-2005, 05:19 PM

My neighbor has Dish, I have Directv, and I thought it was comparable to Directv. Dish antenna needs to have a clear view of the southern skies. Directv needs to be pointed south-east.

My signal strength is 94.

You should check out both websites for their offers. I know Directv, in addition to their normal offerings, have tivo recorders for pretty cheap, and with the right package of programming there are no monthly fees, last I heard.

HTH alittle,

Rich
post #450 of 11174 Old 05-06-2005, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lombana
Court blocks TV anti-piracy rules

Best news I have heard in a while!