Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #541 of 11174 Old 05-26-2005, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knows if Cable America Broadcasts their HD locals in the clear like cox does? I'm looking at buying a HD Card for my computer and have emailed them but they don't seem to know what I'm talking about when I ask them if they do this. Anyone else out there have CA and know if they are putting them out in the clear for a QAM tuner card?

Thanks,

Lance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 11174 Old 05-26-2005, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I got Cable America today and hooked it up to my LG LST 3510a hdtv box. What I got was NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX in HD (I think). There was nothing being broadcast in hd except on CBS but it did tune these stations in. I also got all the digital music channels (audio only). I laso got a few channels that were just empty (they were scaned in but nothing showed on the screen) so I will run the scan again later to see what else I can pick up. I have only the basic plus service so give it a shot and see what happens.
post #543 of 11174 Old 05-26-2005, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

I got Cable America today and hooked it up to my LG LST 3510a hdtv box. What I got was NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX in HD (I think). There was nothing being broadcast in hd except on CBS but it did tune these stations in. I also got all the digital music channels (audio only). I laso got a few channels that were just empty (they were scaned in but nothing showed on the screen) so I will run the scan again later to see what else I can pick up. I have only the basic plus service so give it a shot and see what happens.

What channel numbers were you tuning in? Definitely let me know what you see tonight.

Thanks,

Lance
post #544 of 11174 Old 05-26-2005, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Lance, it looks like you got an answer and it seems to work pretty much the way Cox does. Here is what you get with Cox and Cable America will probably be pretty similar:

Quote:

Local channels available with an integrated QAM tuner and subscription to basic cable:
76-1 KSAZ-DT (Fox 10)
76-2 KASW-DT (WB 61)
79-1 KNXV-DT (ABC 15)
79-2 KPHO-DT (CBS 5)
82-1 KPNX-DT (NBC 12)
82-2 KAET-DT-1 (PBS HDTV)
82-3 KAET-DT-2 (PBS Kids until 4pm, then simulcast of the analog KAET-TV) (SD 480i)

Cheers, Dave
post #545 of 11174 Old 05-26-2005, 07:02 PM

Dave,

I just finally got an email reply from CA:

YES our HD channels are unencrypted and will work with your QAM tuner. But
ONLY the locals (CBS,FOX,NBC, and ABC). And how well it works will be
determined on your equipment.

Rachel
CableAmerica Customer Service Department

So it looks like they do send it out. That will at least get me started. Now I know i can order the card and get these channels off the cable.

Lance
post #546 of 11174 Old 05-26-2005, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What a coincidence! Maybe they read this thread and finally figured out what you were talking about.

Cheers, Dave
post #547 of 11174 Old 05-27-2005, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

This thread and its contributors have made big waves here and at other forums. We are not a group that sits back and let's "people*" roll over us. If we don't like something or feel like we are getting the shaft, we let that group or person know it. Be it AVS or a local channel or Cox/DirecTV/Cable America. Over the years Dave, I and many of the folks that post here and on the AZ HDTV Forums have made a lot of connections with the local channels. Thus, I think we probably have some of the best HD PQ of any city our size because we have direct input with the local channels. They listen to what we have to say and make changes accordingly. We have a great group of people that all want the best HD PQ they can receive.

*People: I use the term here to mean any number of groups/businesses/local channels/service providers/etc.

"With the advent of high-definition television, home viewers will see actors with extreme clarity and detail. Thus they will demand the stars of "Sex and the City" change their names to "The Golden Girls." -Conan O'Brien, In The Year 2000: Ted Danson Edition-
post #548 of 11174 Old 06-06-2005, 02:13 PM
fkh

Has anyone noticed that ABC changed channel identification. I have an HR10-250. ABC no longer shows up on 15-1. It shows up at 56-3, which shows no channel information. This is a issue, because now my TIVO can't auto record shows on ABC without any info.
post #549 of 11174 Old 06-06-2005, 03:11 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkh View Post

Has anyone noticed that ABC changed channel identification. I have an HR10-250. ABC no longer shows up on 15-1. It shows up at 56-3, which shows no channel information. This is a issue, because now my TIVO can't auto record shows on ABC without any info.

Yes!

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #550 of 11174 Old 06-08-2005, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I was channel surfing last night and noticed that PAX now has programming info in their PSIP stream. Also, they are either experimenting with multicasting or they screwed up their PSIP setting because all the subchannels are now enabled but do not have a signal.

So now most of us have 3 channels of dead air to annoy us when trying to surf since most tuners don't allow excluding just the sub channels.

Does anyone know what they are up to? If they don't do something about the dead air, I'll probably end up removing PAX from my channel list.
post #551 of 11174 Old 06-08-2005, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Seeing as how the deadline was January 30th, they're only about 100 days late. PAX never was and never will be in my channel list, and it will probably be another 8 years before they broadcast their first HD program.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
post #552 of 11174 Old 06-08-2005, 08:36 PM

[b]Need some advice. Having a 50" Panny Plasma delivered Saturday(6/11) and it looks like the "better half" wants it wall mounted. Can anyone in the Phoenix/Glendale area recommend a solid/reputable company that they would trust to intall(also in-wall wiring) the plasma.

Thanks to all...

George
post #553 of 11174 Old 06-09-2005, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georges326 View Post

Need some advice. Having a 50" Panny Plasma delivered Saturday(6/11) and it looks like the "better half" wants it wall mounted. Can anyone in the Phoenix/Glendale area recommend a solid/reputable company that they would trust to intall(also in-wall wiring) the plasma.

Thanks to all...

George

Audio Video Rescue did the wallmount/install on my Pioneer plasma and I was very pleased.

Phone: 602-692-8775
URL: doubleyuh dubbleyuh dubbleyuh dot avrescue dot com
Desc: Audio Video Rescue does set-ups on everything from Home Theater In a Box and entry-level components, all the way to dedicated theater systems. They also do whole-house audio systems, home automation, structured cabling, and remote integration.

Paul
post #554 of 11174 Old 06-09-2005, 11:19 AM

PBenjamin,

Thanks for the quick reply and help....will followup on your advice.

George
post #555 of 11174 Old 06-09-2005, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post

URL: doubleyuh dubbleyuh dubbleyuh dot avrescue dot com

Isn't it a shame we have to resort to this in order to help someone out?

Cheers, Dave
post #556 of 11174 Old 06-12-2005, 09:29 PM

Anyone able to get ABC 15 straightened out? My tuner won't pick it up anymore - is it just me or is it somehow related to the posts indicating they are showing up as 56-3?
post #557 of 11174 Old 06-12-2005, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

ABC-15 will down for a while (until around the last week in June). They are in the process of installing a backup transmitter.

"With the advent of high-definition television, home viewers will see actors with extreme clarity and detail. Thus they will demand the stars of "Sex and the City" change their names to "The Golden Girls." -Conan O'Brien, In The Year 2000: Ted Danson Edition-
post #558 of 11174 Old 06-13-2005, 02:24 AM

ABC-15 remains clueless. They couldn't wait until the NBA finals were over?
Nice timing. Good thing MNF is moving to ESPN.
post #559 of 11174 Old 06-13-2005, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No, they couldn't. AFAIK, the FCC deadline for this work is the end of June. I don't know what the lead time was for this, but they sure weren't going to shut down until after Primetime was over, not with hits like Lost and Desperate Housewives pulling in viewers. It's the same situation as it was with CBS last year when they had to shut down to meet an FCC deadline, it happens.

Cheers, Dave
post #560 of 11174 Old 06-13-2005, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

No, they couldn't. AFAIK, the FCC deadline for this work is the end of June. I don't know what the lead time was for this, but they sure weren't going to shut down until after Primetime was over, not with hits like Lost and Desperate Housewives pulling in viewers. It's the same situation as it was with CBS last year when they had to shut down to meet an FCC deadline, it happens.

Hmmm. There were three weeks of DH and Lost reruns before the NBA Finals started, so they really botched the timing of this shutdown.

Not to mention the fact that they shouldn't need to take the primary transmitter off the air just to install a backup (except for a couple of hours to test the backup after the installation is complete).

I haven't bothered trying to receive any of the Tucson stations, but maybe this will motivate me to give it a go. Unfortunately, I think I'm just too far up in the Northwest valley to get consistant signals from Tucson.
post #561 of 11174 Old 06-13-2005, 04:17 PM

I am located on central and greenway in moon valley cove. I have no line-of-sight to south mountain. There's a two story house next door, trees, and a couple of mountains. I've had 6 installers come out with 3 antennas and various amplifiers and none were able to get any signal strength from any channels although with the most powerful setup, I was able to get around 50% on a couple of Tucson stations (non-viewable, however).

What are my odds at getting stations to provide DirecTV with waivers for my HD TiVo? At this point, I think it's my only option until DTV starts the new mpeg-4 HD locals rollout.

I've already gotten them to turn FoxW on since it's O&O locally.

EDIT: Mountains between me and array include Lookout Mountain, North Mountain, Shadow Mountain, and a few others that are all near Thunderbird and Central. Antennas I've used include the indoor silver sensor (ha!), winegard metrostar, terk something or other... none were able to give me any signal on both the hd tivo and a set-top hd receiver I went and bought just to make sure the tivo wasn't broken.

Thanks!

-Waldorf
post #562 of 11174 Old 06-13-2005, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Hmmm. There were three weeks of DH and Lost reruns before the NBA Finals started, so they really botched the timing of this shutdown.

Yes, there were, but who knows when they got the parts, etc.

Quote:

Not to mention the fact that they shouldn't need to take the primary transmitter off the air just to install a backup (except for a couple of hours to test the backup after the installation is complete).

I think some of the discussion over on the AZ HDTV Forum was lost when the site got slammed, but there were reasons given there why it needs to be off, it's not just a matter of adding a second transmitter, tying the 2 together comes into play. Since I don't have the expertise to know better, I assume they are doing the best they can given what they have to do. Even if they aren't, there isn't much we can do about it.

Cheers, Dave
post #563 of 11174 Old 06-13-2005, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't forget that the primary timing issue for transmitter maintenance is when the sweeps are. With May a primary sweeps period, and July a secondary sweeps period, June is about all that's left.

All I know is that backup transmitters were installed at KSAZ and KUTP fairly recently, and neither was off the air for more than a couple hours in the middle of the night. Consequently, no one knew and nobody whined about it.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
post #564 of 11174 Old 06-13-2005, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, it's rather obvious that this is one of those subjects that no amount of explanation or reasoning will satisfy anyone, one station can always do it better than another (even if it may not be the exact same thing or that other issues may be involved). For the record, my comments are not intended to justify the downtime, lord knows I can't do that. They simply provide the explanation we've been given in various forums, etc. You are free to disagree withthose explanations and say you could do it better and all that. The bottom line is that they are down, may be down until the end if June, the "lousy" NBA finals are available in SD, and that's that. Now, surely there are other issues we can discuss, no?

Cheers, Dave
post #565 of 11174 Old 06-14-2005, 06:48 AM

Greetings,
I am planing on moving from St Louis, Mo to the Prescott, Az area late this year. I was hoping someone here could clue me in on what areas in and around Prescott have good HD OTA reception and which areas should be avoided. Will be looking for a house to buy and do not want to made a wrong OTA area choice.

(Jeez, where are my priorities? )

"Screaming!?!? A great many dramatic situations begin with screaming!"
post #566 of 11174 Old 06-15-2005, 05:08 PM

Has anybody heard when or if Cox is planning to add ESPN 2 HD and TNT HD to their HD lineup? I e-mailed them with this question but in usual Cox fine form I've never received and answer.

Thanks
post #567 of 11174 Old 06-16-2005, 08:47 AM

If you go to Cox's Phoenix Website and click on "Ask us live!" between 9 am and 6 pm Monday-Friday someone will answer your question in real time. The answer, of course, will be that they appreciate your input but have no information at this time about adding those channels.

Paul
post #568 of 11174 Old 06-16-2005, 11:25 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheerLuck_Homes View Post

Greetings,
I am planing on moving from St Louis, Mo to the Prescott, Az area late this year. I was hoping someone here could clue me in on what areas in and around Prescott have good HD OTA reception and which areas should be avoided. Will be looking for a house to buy and do not want to made a wrong OTA area choice.

(Jeez, where are my priorities? )

You can go to antennaweb.org, and enter these zip codes, 86301, 86302, 86303,86304, 86305, 86313, 86330, to find out which gets the most channels.
Of course, there are many other factors that could hinder you from getting channel(s).

Good luck,

Rich
post #569 of 11174 Old 06-23-2005, 11:03 PM

Waldorf,
I'm at Bell & 16th Street, not far from you. I also have Lookout mountain in the way. I have a Silver Surfer balanced on a stepladder by my pool, plus a +15db amplifier from Radio Shack. I can get all the OTA Phoenix channels fine (36 takes a while to come in but when it does it's great). I tried a HUGE antenna in the attic + amplifier but never had much success. So I have a cable running under the back door, across the kitchen floor to the living room.
I suggest you keep trying - good luck!
post #570 of 11174 Old 06-24-2005, 08:00 AM

OK, I have an OTA antenna as installed by DirecTV. It is attached off of the mounting bracket for my dish. It is circular and about 24" in diameter and is mounted flat, such that it looks like a circle from above and below, but you only see the edge from the side.

I have an RG6 run directly from the antenna to a power injector. Another RG6 run from the power injector to my HD Tivo.

I can get all of the channels (3.1, 5.1, 8.1, 8.2, 10.1, 10.2, and 12.1) that antennaweb lists as the easiest channels for me to get (yellow coded, or "small multidirectional antenna"). My first newbie question is why is there 10.1 and 10.2 when they both seem to have the same content?

Now, the other three HD channels are 61.1, 15.1, and 45.1. I can get 45.1 fine it seems. But 61.1 all I got was a black screen. And for 15.1, the one I'm most concerned about, I get "no signal detected". Now, I was doing this at midnight last night -- is it possible that nothing was being aired on 15.1 and/or 61.1, or that it was down, or am I just SOL?

Antennaweb lists all three of these as Red ("medium directional"). Now, I don't exactly know what kind of antenna I have, but I'm pretty certain it is not directional. It is also mounted fairly low on my roof, but at least on the south side of my house.

Now, here is my question -- do I need a higher mounting point for my antenna and/or a directional one pointing the proper way? It is weird because all of the HD signals are coming from exactly the same place, yet three of them are marked as harder to receive. Yet I can receive one of those three, but not the other two.

I can't really get higher on my roof, and am not sure I could accurately point a directional antenna. So is there anybody that you can recommend in the Phoenix area to come and install a directional antenna for me, if that is what is needed? I'm looking for the kind of guy that knows exactly what antenna I need and exactly where to mount it so that I can receive all of the Phoenix channels.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page