Phoenix, AZ - HDTV - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #31 of 11174 Old 11-28-2004, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I just jumped on the bandwagon for HDTV. I have a Pioneer Elite PRO620HD for the monitor. I get my locals OTA, and use Directv for the rest of it. Yes, I do have the HD service with directv and I got the standard wingaurd from DirecTV for $149 installed.

During the initial install, directv got me an RCA DTC210. All channels came in but one 15-1, even though I live near Desert Ridge 25.6 miles north of south mountain. Near 101 Fwy & Tatum Blvd.

As life would have it I decided to keep the installation and go forward. Not having my HDTV on 15-1 was a loss I was willing to take.

I then that evening went out and purchased an HD-DVR. Hooked it up, and everything came in. This time, I even got 15-1.

Question is though, after watching HD for the last 2 weeks, it looks really great. EXCEPT, my 15-1 looks really washed out. The signal strength is good.

Anyone else see that 15-1 DT signal really sucks or is it my location?

Ideas comments?

Thanks,
IOTP
HDTV via DirecTV MPEG4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 11174 Old 11-28-2004, 08:51 PM

IOTP,

I'm in Gilbert and 15-1 hasn't really impressed me except for Monday Night Football. Try to catch it and see what you think.
post #33 of 11174 Old 11-28-2004, 09:21 PM

I did catch the monday night football the day I got it. Man, that does look great. I watched other HD on 15-1 and wasnt all too impressed. Sporting events definately look awesome.

I watched the DEN .vs. OAK on ESPNHD tonight and man, it looks like an XBOX game.

Thanks,
Jim

Thanks,
IOTP
HDTV via DirecTV MPEG4
post #34 of 11174 Old 11-30-2004, 12:11 PM

iotp,
I am helping some friends in Carefree make a decision on upgrading to HD service with DirecTV. Do you know the model of the Winegard antenna? What did the $149 installation include? Have you checked the signal strength for the OTA channels?
Thanks,
John

John
post #35 of 11174 Old 12-02-2004, 01:50 PM

I have been following the Satellite Guys thread on D*HD. There seems to be a widespread problem of very frequent pixelation on HD broadcasts. I'm trying to decide between Satellite HD or Cable HD for a new home under contstruction in Maricopa. The cable co. in Maricopa has a very limited HD offering now, but promises to have premium HD by the time the home is finished. Any advice on SAT HD vs Cable?
post #36 of 11174 Old 12-02-2004, 02:14 PM

I have Cox cable and I love it. I have the 3250HD and I can record to a Mac using 1394 (Firewire).

Here is a list of the channels and products available..

COX HD Offeringss. Cox Cable in Phoenix offers the following High Definition (HD) channels (A/O 12/08/04):

Available to all subscribers:
705 - KPHO-5 (CBS)
706 - KASW-61 (WB)
708 - KAET-8 (PBS)
710 - KSAZ-10 (FOX)
712 - KPNX-12 (NBC)
715 - KNXV-15 (ABC)
720 - ESPN
721 - iNHD1
722 - iNHD2
724 - Universal HD (Coming Dec 8)

NOTE: From time to time, Cox will preempt iNHD2/722 programming for local sports teams being broadcast on Fox Sports Net in HD. The preemption will not always show in the IPG, so be sure to double-check iNHD2 on your own.

Available with subscription:
723 - Discovery HD

Available with subscription to specific movie package:
730 - HBO
740 - Showtime
750 - StarZ

Available with an integrated or stand-alone QAM capable receiver. Note: You must be a subscriber to at least basic cable service.
76-1 KSAZ-10 (FOX)
76-2 KASW-61 (WB)
79-1 KNXV-15 (ABC)
79-2 KPHO-5 (CBS)
82-1 KPNX-12 (NBC)
82-2 KAET-8 (PBS)
82-3 KAET-8 (PBS-Kids/PBS)

HD Receivers. Additionally, Cox Cable offers three HD receivers from Scientific Atlanta:

The SA3100HD is a first-generation HD receiver with limited capabilities. While there may still be some units in stock, most subscribers opt for a newer, more up-to-date receiver.

The SA3250HD is the standard HD receiver with mulitple audio/video outputs, including 1394 (Firewire). If you need Firewire support, this is the only unit currently offering such support.

The SA8300HD is an HD digital video recorder offering dual-tuners, multiple audio/video outputs, and up to 20 hours of HD recording capability. With it, you can record two programs while viewing a third previously recorded program, view one program while recording a second program, or view two programs using PIP features. Depending upon connections, you can also view a down-converted recorded program on one TV, view a second recorded program on another TV, and record two other programs. It costs $20/mo ($15 for the unit and $5 for the recording service).
post #37 of 11174 Old 12-02-2004, 07:49 PM

I hope someone can help. I just installed the new Tivo HD system and I'm using a Radio Shack Amplified digital HDTV antenna (15-1880). I'm able to pick up all the HD programming, most channels I receive a rating of 85+. Channel 15.1, 15.2, and 15.3 I receive 73+. The problem is this, at night I lose channel 15.1, 15.2 and 15.3. The rating goes down to 15 to 40. Why at night do I lose this channel? (as soon as the sun goes down, so does channel 15 HD) What can I do to fix this?
post #38 of 11174 Old 12-02-2004, 09:02 PM

Water1,

The Wingaurd antenna is the only one they send, send me a PM and I will take a e-picture and email it over. I was really amazed at the reception, and was wondering what I was really going to get. Upon the factory installation DTV brought out the RCA DTC210. A pretty good unit. Comes complete with RF remote (which was a bonus). The $149 installation came with the upgraded eliptical dishm wingaurd antenna installation, multiswitch if needed, and DTC210 receiver. It was basically a test.

Since I already had the newer upgraded dish. They didnt install it. I also had the Terk MS58 cascade multiswitch. So all they really installed was the wingaurd, and a couple of diplexers for the OTA locals.

I wasnt sure what I was going to get, and DTV guaranteed me that if I wasnt satisifed I could back out and pull the installation. Upon installation, the following HD channels came in: 3-1, 5-1, 8-1, 10-1, 12-1, 45-1, 51-1, and 61-1. NO 15-1 (ABC) feed.

I figured that was better then I was going to get, and kept the installation. I then went down to Showcase down on Camelback and picked up the HD-DVR. I've had TIVO for 4+ years and not without it wasn't an option. I plugged in the HD-DVR, and you know what? 15-1 came it. I was stoked.

Monday Night Football on 15-1 looked like XBOX NFL 2004. It looked amazing.

Check out the site www.antennaweb.org. You can punch in their address and see what results it gives you.

According to the HD-DVR my ANT-IN signal strength was 92%.

I have seen the COX HD setup at a friends house, I cannot remember what receiver they had, I wasn't too impressed with it comparitively with what my setup was. The hd monitors were pretty much the same. I have a Pioneer Elite Pro620HD, they had the Pro630HD. Both were plugged in component video feeds. I guess if you want simplistic installation,

I did notice that UltimateHD showed up on the DTV feed over the last few days. That was a bonus.

==========================

GregoryHarding: Remember they are the cable company. They make promises they cannot keep. Like digitial cable is so much better. You'll never pry my dish from my dead dying fingers.

Regards,
Jim

Thanks,
IOTP
HDTV via DirecTV MPEG4
post #39 of 11174 Old 12-02-2004, 09:05 PM

BradJames,

During the evening hours the atmosphere changes as does the climate. Because of the weather changes in phoenix during this time you'll singal drops. I all of a sudden lost 45-1 this evening.

It should be back tomorrow. Depending on where you are at. I am in Desert Ridge near 101 Fwy & Tatum Blvd. Perhaps a larger antenna might help, try a TERK or Winguard antenna.

Regards,
Jim

Thanks,
IOTP
HDTV via DirecTV MPEG4
post #40 of 11174 Old 12-03-2004, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the info. Now, I need to figure out how to get HD OTA. My HOA will not allow rooftop antennas. Do Phoenix HD broadcasts orginate from South Mountain? Maricopa is direct line to South Mountain, but is the distance too great?
post #41 of 11174 Old 12-03-2004, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
HOA cannot forbid rooftop antennas if you own your home.
post #42 of 11174 Old 12-08-2004, 09:06 AM

Hey guys,

I've been reading on other forums that Cox-Phoenix wasn't supporting DVI on their set top boxes (3250HD). The messages I read were a little older, but I wanted to know if this problem has been fixed yet..

Anyone have any clues?
post #43 of 11174 Old 12-08-2004, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

Originally posted by bradjames
I hope someone can help. I just installed the new Tivo HD system and I'm using a Radio Shack Amplified digital HDTV antenna (15-1880). I'm able to pick up all the HD programming, most channels I receive a rating of 85+. Channel 15.1, 15.2, and 15.3 I receive 73+. The problem is this, at night I lose channel 15.1, 15.2 and 15.3. The rating goes down to 15 to 40. Why at night do I lose this channel? (as soon as the sun goes down, so does channel 15 HD) What can I do to fix this?

I actually live in North Glendale and I was having similar problems with 15.1 until I switched to a Zenith Silver Sensor antenna. My previous antenna, which was an 8-bay hovermann (similar to an 8-bay bowtie) started to lose gain at about channel 50.

You need an antenna with really good gain at the highest UHF frequencies, because 15 is one of the highest (its actually 56).

The silver sensor has some problems with channel 21 (must be a dip in its gain at that frequency), but since 21 is just TBN, I didn't care that it's a little flaky.

[ed. fixed some typos and added some more info]
post #44 of 11174 Old 12-15-2004, 12:48 PM

Can someone verify that the QAM for Cox works?
post #45 of 11174 Old 12-17-2004, 05:42 PM

Is anyone else having problems with OTA Digital reception since last night (12/16)?

Just trying to figure out if my problem is equipment or with the networks. I am receiving PBS and NBC, but FOX, CBS, ABC, UPN, and WB are dark.

The power went out last night, so I think my receiver might have gotten fried despite the surge protector.

Thanks in advance.
post #46 of 11174 Old 12-18-2004, 05:48 PM

Yeah, with the big wind storm on Thursday night (12/16), we lost the digital reception to NBC. My wife was upset that she couldn't watch the final episode of "The Apprentice". I had my Voom receiver rescan for OTA channels, but RF 36 wasn't coming in at all. However, the next morning, everything was working again and we haven't had any problems since. The other interesting thing is, even though every other channel was working that night, the Voom receiver was showing my OTA signal strength of 0. Go figure.

Jon
post #47 of 11174 Old 12-20-2004, 07:35 AM

Thanks for the response. Turns out my Channelmaster Distribution Amp went bad.
post #48 of 11174 Old 12-20-2004, 09:44 AM

Hey all.

I live in Far East Mesa in the square mile bordered by Baseline, Ellsworth, Crismon, and Guadalupe. Closer to the Baseline + Crismon intersection. Anyway, I just got the new DirecTV HR10-250 receiver. In the attic I have just installed a big RCA ANT3036X antenna (36 element 110" boom length). I have aimed the antenna as direct towards south mountain (252 degrees) as possible, but not possible to get exactly 252 degrees with all the attic framing in the way.

Anyway, I get almost all stations in 92-95% with a couple being 88-90% except for channel 21.1 (TBN, frequency 20) which I get about 60%. The channels I get are: PBS, IND (3), UNI, FOX, PAX, CBS, NBC, UPN, WB, ABC, TBN.

I'm just wondering why TBN is weak - it's in the same location as all the other antennas (south mountain, 25 1/2 miles away)... are they running at a lower power?

Another question I have - is the 92% good? Can I get better? Is it worth installing a preamp on the antenna if I can? Or should I just leave it alone?

Thanks all!

Marv
post #49 of 11174 Old 12-20-2004, 11:22 AM

IMHO, 92% is a good signal. I wouldn't worry about installing an amp or anything. At that strength, you should be fine even in inclement weather. I'm pretty far away from S. Mountain as well, at int. of Tatum/Cave Creek. My signal strength is the same as yours.

TBN is a weak signal.
post #50 of 11174 Old 12-21-2004, 06:12 PM

We really want to keep AVS a place for all your answers. If there's something we can setup here to make this more workable for you guys, let me know. Up to this point, AVS has simply been a recruiting ground for external Phoenix forums. As a result there hasn't been a need for more than 1 Phoenix thread. If you think you'll have the activity, feel free to startup separate threads for OTA, Comcast, etc.

If whoever starts the threads will commit to keeping the first post up-to-date and accurate, it should offset the lack of stickies. The first post can contain an FAQ, channel lineup, list of installers, etc. It's not perfect, but with 130,000 members to draw from, it should only be a matter of time before enough members are here to keep things productive.
post #51 of 11174 Old 12-21-2004, 06:34 PM

CPanther95 thanks for the offer to tweak the AVS forums to accomodate those of us who have lost our HDTV home on the net....
post #52 of 11174 Old 12-21-2004, 08:54 PM

We can't do "sub-forums" or "threads within a thread", but we can make the threads more specific - if the activity warrants it. When I reorganized this particular forum, it was to make it more clean and easy to navigate. We eliminated all threads except for "Official" threads for each DMA. Tucson and Phoenix each have a thread. My goal wasn't necessarily to reduce the number of threads, although that was a side effect (there are only 213 active threads in this forum - all others are merged, moved, deleted or closed). The goal was more like pruning a bush - trim it, focus it, so it can grow bigger than before.

My goal is for the members of each DMA to take "ownership" of their area and create the threads that will be most helpful. NY has 6 different threads, Boston 5, etc. Those are based on the fact that there was enough activity to warrant separating the area into specific topics or geographic areas.

If you sort the forum threads in "ASCENDING" order and from "THE BEGINNING" - you see what the forum used to look like, and how many zero reply threads were on the front page at any given time. If people can't get their questions answered, they may not return.

We've used DMAs as our means of categorizing. As a result, Arizona is divided into Phoenix, Tuscon/Sierra Vista, and Yuma. Nobody has started a thread yet for Yuma. But all Phoenix or Tuscon threads started will be merged into their appropriate thread - and those threads are permanent so they will be there indefinitely.

If it were up to me, when someone entered the local forum, they'd go right into the thread index sticky, so they would be forced to locate their local thread. If they lived in Phoenix, they'd look under Arizona and the link to the thread is right there (they could also note that Phoenix is DMA #15, and next time just scroll down to #15 to find their home thread.) There really is no need to see the front page any longer.

It's up to you guys as far as what you want to see. For the past 4 months, anything regarding Arizona has been funneled into only 2 threads and it still hasn't yielded a tremendous amount of activity.

You can check out the Jacksonville and St. Louis threads. Jacksonville has a nice summary of the area on the first post. St. Louis uses the first three posts for station info, FAQ, etc.
post #53 of 11174 Old 12-21-2004, 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Soundmaster10.2
It looks like we have a number of options for new forums:

AVS
Lloyds Website
Carlos Website

The only down side of moving the forum to any new website is to get the word out to everyone.

Just to let you know...I have over 1500MB of disk space on my site server and 30GB of bandwith a month so handling images or heavy traffic would not be a problem.
post #54 of 11174 Old 12-22-2004, 07:12 AM

DAZ:

I'm not a big fan of links to various portions within the thread. I've been looking at the threads basically as having a First Post and a current post (at the end) since those are the two parts of the thread that are always One-Click away. The middle 10, 20, or 100 pages of posts are pretty much disregarded unless someone wants to read up on a bunch of discussion. Also all those posts are there if someone wants to do a search for something specific within the thread.

I think it is much more helpful to have all the pertinent info in the first post. If the originator of the thread is actively moderating the thread, instead of links to important posts, he could actually just add the info to the first post. Any important info that comes out of the general discussion is added to the first post so newbies can be told to review the first post before asking redundant questions. You can't expect someone to read the entire thread, but you can expect them to read one post.

That first post can be laid out however you choose to set it up.
Local Station Digital/HDTV Status
Tower Locations
Station Contact Info
Local Installers
OTA FAQ

A similar setup could be used for the cable threads with channel lineup, pricing packages, HD equipment offered, Cable FAQ, etc. The key is for whoever starts the thread needs to keep that first post current and basically act as a mini-moderator for that thread. The only reason I'm in this discussion is I'm keeping an eye on all low-post count threads to make sure questions are getting answered until there are enough members involved to take care of that. Generally, the only time I get involved with a thread is if there is a problem that was reported - so it's important for a local person to be involved to keep things productive.

Right now, you're correct, all threads re: Phoenix are rolled into a single thread. That's only the case because there isn't enough activity to separate it into sub-categories. That's to be determined by all of you. Wash/Balt. has a tremendous amount of members, yet they have no desire to have more than a single HDTV thread. Boston, OTOH, has it broken down. In fact there's a specific thread for a cable company that only services Shrewsbury, MA.

Personally, I don't really care how many threads there eventually are for Phoenix. My only criteria is that they be logically setup so newbies can look at the Phoenix, AZ part of the index and clearly determine which thread is the most appropriate for their question. I also want to make sure that there is enough activity/discussion to sustain the thread, and when the thread is started, a summary for that topic is placed in the first post.

Flagstaff, AZ - OTA may be a logical thread to have because they likely have their own reception issues - or a Flagstaff, AZ - Mediacom thread because Mediacom (just an example) only services the Flagstaff/Prescott area. However, there's no reason to setup a thread if there are not enough members to keep the thread active. Normally it progresses from a single HDTV thread that covers all issues until there is enough discussion to warrant splitting it up. The transition would be something like this:

Phoenix, AZ
Phoenix, AZ - HDTV

Phoenix, AZ
Phoenix, AZ - OTA
Phoenix, AZ - Cable

Phoenix, AZ
Phoenix, AZ - OTA
Phoenix, AZ - Comcast
Phoenix, AZ - Cox

Phoenix, AZ
Phoenix, AZ - OTA
Phoenix, AZ - OTA - Broadcast Engineering Thread
Northern, AZ - OTA
Phoenix, AZ - Comcast
Phoenix, AZ - Cox
Flagstaff, AZ - Mediacom

etc., etc., etc.

BTW, Norfolk has a Broadcast Engineering Thread with Rules established on the front page. The starter of the thread contacts me if someone violates the rules, and I'll delete the offending post. There's another post for general discussion, complaints etc., but the result of this thread is a tremendous amount of participation by most of the key broadcasters in Norfolk without fear of it becoming a bitch-fest.
post #55 of 11174 Old 12-22-2004, 08:36 AM

On a side note, do me a favor and handle any external forum discussion off-line. One thing the powers that be don't want is for AVS to simply be a recruiting ground for outside forums. Many members may head over to another forum, but those that want to make AVS their home for all things A/V will be left with no place to go to get their local questions answered.
post #56 of 11174 Old 12-22-2004, 11:05 AM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
CP's last post is right on the money. Before I moved to Phoenix, I found AVS and always monitored and participated in the Jacksonville thread. They have alot of good participation over there. When I moved to Phoenix/Chandler in Sept I was surprised that we didn't have a thread on AVS. When I did find the Society website I felt that it was good, but for people who visit AVS on a regular basis like myself, going to two sites for info can be a little disjointing. We can make this thread our own just like you guys did at the other site. Now that the other site is down, now is the time to get everyone who was at the other site to get involved. As CP said, if someone comes to the local forum section of AVS looking for the Phoenix thread they can look in the FAQ section and find Phoenix.

If Tucson has a thread the size that they do even when there was a Tucson thread at the other site, I'm sure we can also have that same type of participation. We just have to be willing to give it a try.

Daz, I think you mentioned that you didn't like the notion of people from outside of Phoenix chiming into the thread b/c it makes it more difficult to read thru. If I misread your post excuse me. I think that having knowledgable people chime in is always a good thing. Now I must say that having been involved in the Jacksonville thread since 2002, there have only been about 3 or 4 posts from people outside of the area chiming in to lend there expertise. But even when that happened no one didn't have a problem with it b/c the person provided knowledge that we may not have had. If you look at the Miami, Orlando and Tampa threads and other threads, you will see the same thing. People from Boston don't just jump into the Jacksonville thread and starting chatting away unless they are getting ready to move area and they want to know what they hd options are for the area.

AVS is the forum that people who are new to hdtv probably come to first. That includes people from the Phoenix metro area. With that being the case, I think that it's only logical that we make this thread a one-stop shop for the Phoenix metro area. That way, newbies will not have to wonder why there isn't a Phoenix local thread on what is quite possibly the most popular site for hdtv. Everything we need is here and as CP mentioned, the first post can serve as our FAQ with OTA, Directv, Cox, Dish and information about the antenna location and info about the stations. If metro areas the size of Tucson and Fort Meyers can do it, so can we.

Just a thought.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #57 of 11174 Old 12-22-2004, 04:29 PM

Hello all,

I live in Gilbert and recently purchased a Magnavox EDTV. After reading through these threads I saw that an antenna can help with the reception of channels. I went to Radio shack to pick up a 15-1880 but I don't see how it helps.

I plugged it directly into my TV and all I got was fuzzy channels. I plugged my COX DVR into it and flipped the switch for EXT but everything looks the same.

I keep hearing about these 3.1, 5.1 channels but what does that mean? I don't see the dots (.) in the channels. Sorry for such newbie questions but i'm lost.

Thanks for any help.

mkbean
post #58 of 11174 Old 12-22-2004, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

CPanther95,

I and the others are not trying to steer anyone away from AVS. We are just trying to setup a forum like we once had. This was an outlet to figure out what we can do. I am not trying to break any rules or step on any toes but we were all taken by surprised that the old forum went down and this thread allowed all of us to regroup. I thought AVS was a forum to get the best/most correct info out to people. I can understand AVS not wanting people to go to other sites but I use to link people all the time to AVS for answers to their questions. I think AVS should try to link up with other forums in order to get the best/most correct info out to the masses. I apologize for linking people to the old forum but I was just trying to get people the best/correct info. I want to help people the best way that I can.

-Carter-

"With the advent of high-definition television, home viewers will see actors with extreme clarity and detail. Thus they will demand the stars of "Sex and the City" change their names to "The Golden Girls." -Conan O'Brien, In The Year 2000: Ted Danson Edition-
post #59 of 11174 Old 12-22-2004, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Great I got here after the deleted posts. So now I do not know where everyone is going. Cpanther I can see your side to a certain point. Most members of our old website visited AVS and other forums as well.

I just wished we could of left a post where they decided to go.

Check out Dinger's
post #60 of 11174 Old 12-22-2004, 05:16 PM

Send PM's to each other if you are looking to reorganize elsewhere. Let's keep this on topic for those that are here to get answers.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page