post #631 of 11192 Old 07-31-2005, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCat View Post

There is a lot of pressure on any CBS affil that might be sucking wind in local news ratings to FOX and independent broadcasts. And actually, they might have the best newscast out there, even if Kent Dana was NOT the answer.

I prefer KPNX's newscast to anyone else in the valley. KPHO's is too sensational, KSAZ's is too lowbrow (but then, it's Fox), and KNXV's is just awful on all levels. KTVK's 5 and 10 PM newscasts are good, but the morning show is migraine-inducing.

Quote:

ROFLOL So IOW, they're not reaming our ears out on purpose, they might just not know it's even happening. BTW, the alumni I have encountered seem to uphold your assessment. I think "hellhole" is the term that usually comes up in conversation. A cryin' shame.

Oh, they know it's happening. Ryan Stewart is well aware of the audio issue. My guess is that they have no idea what's causing it, much less how to fix it. KNXV is just down the street from me. I wonder if they would let me into MC to have a little chat with the engineers about why their audio sounds like it's coming through a straw underwater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 11192 Old 08-02-2005, 02:56 PM

I am not able to get 15.1 or 15.2 with my antenna still. I get all the local HD channels with a great signal. I live in Ahwatukee, so I have a straight shot to the towers. Maybe I'm too close? I will keep cheking 15.2 and 15.2.
post #633 of 11192 Old 08-02-2005, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone heard any reports about FSN-HD carrying any Coyotes games this season? I would imagine that if they do, it would be similar to how the DBacks games are on Cox 722. There hasn't been any discussion of HD carriage on KASW or KTVK, but FSN definitely has the ability to carry them, and there was word at one point that they were in discussions.
post #634 of 11192 Old 08-02-2005, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

I prefer KPNX's newscast...KNXV's is just awful on all levels...I wonder if they would let me into MC to have a little chat with the engineers about why their audio sounds like it's coming through a straw underwater.

In one category I think KNXV is actually much better than the others. Their chief photog seems to have made sure that all of his guys can compose shots professionally, edit well, and shade their cameras properly. That is a rare quality which should be ubiquitous. Engineering seems to have more of a hand in the product there than in a lot of stations, and it makes it visually a lot easier to watch. On other stations levels are all over the place, the shots are always the same boring thing, and editing seems to be a lost art. Content is another thing...KTVK seems to be the only outlet with enough resources to really report the news well. Not that they usually do, but their people at least have a fighting chance.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
post #635 of 11192 Old 08-02-2005, 10:38 PM

I can surely appreciate channel 3's 3.1 digital feed. But the question remains, will they EVER broadcast ANYTHING in HD. Sure would be great if a dbacks or coyotes hockey would happen.

Is DirecTV going to add any FSN-HD feeds to their lineup?

Thanks,
IOTP
HDTV via DirecTV MPEG4
post #636 of 11192 Old 08-02-2005, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iotp View Post

I can surely appreciate channel 3's 3.1 digital feed. But the question remains, will they EVER broadcast ANYTHING in HD. Sure would be great if a dbacks or coyotes hockey would happen.

KTVK is all setup to broadcast HD content, but there is none available.
Syndicators have not started offering HD content yet, and the station equipment isn't setup to do the news in HD. KTVK is in the process of negotiating with Belo to get the money to upgrade all the equipment to HD for the news, but whether that will be approved remains to be seen.

The Diamondbacks produce all their own games, so KTVK just broadcasts what they're given. It seems that all the HD games are FSN games, so they are shown on Cox 722.

The negotiations for Coyotes games on KTVK/KASW are happening now, but apparently HD has not been mentioned. I'd guess we will see a Coyotes game in HD on 722 before KTVK or KASW. KTVK-DT has very little penetration, since it is not carried on any of the cable providers, so it just doesn't make a lot of sense to put a game there.

As for DirecTV, I thought they did carry some of the FSN HD baseball games, but I have Cox, so I can't confirm that.
post #637 of 11192 Old 08-03-2005, 01:49 AM

I live about 35 miles from the towers and was wondering which indoor antenna will get me the best reception? thanks
post #638 of 11192 Old 08-03-2005, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Tell the Belo guys to take a trip to Raleigh-Durham if they want to see how the news in HD looks and how viewers respond to news in HD.

Cheers, Dave
post #639 of 11192 Old 08-03-2005, 08:22 AM

3TV has some nice looking news staff - wouldn't mind seeing them in HD

I shudder at the thought of having to see Linda Williams (Fox 10) in HD though.
post #640 of 11192 Old 08-03-2005, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shink View Post

3TV has some nice looking news staff - wouldn't mind seeing them in HD

If you have ever seen Tara up close you may change your mind about seeing her in HD...unless she gets a better make-up artist. Kim Martinez on the other hand is quite the beauty.
post #641 of 11192 Old 08-03-2005, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borhan View Post

I live about 35 miles from the towers and was wondering which indoor antenna will get me the best reception? thanks

You might be on the edge for indoor reception. The Silver Sensor has the best rep in that regard. Try antennaweb.org. It also depends somewhat upon which direction you live...power is concentrated somewhat away from the area SW of S. Mt., meaning you must be closer to get the same level going that direction.

post #642 of 11192 Old 08-03-2005, 09:15 PM

As is Patty Kirkpatrick. I seen her at a Suns game a couple of times.

Man, that cameraman obviously can do wonders.

Thanks,
IOTP
HDTV via DirecTV MPEG4
post #643 of 11192 Old 08-03-2005, 10:35 PM

I just went to antennaweb.org and it says the Compass Orientation is 159 degrees and that I am 37.2 miles away. Will that Zenith antenna do?

http://www.zenith.com/sub_prod/produ...?cat=49&id=131
post #644 of 11192 Old 08-04-2005, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just went to antennaweb.org and it says the Compass Orientation is 159 degrees and that I am 37.2 miles away. Will that Zenith antenna do?

Probably not. 37 miles is a long way for any indoor antenna, even one as good as the Silver Sensor. You might have a chance if you have a window facing the right direction and line of sight, but you'd have much better luck with an outdoor antenna. Another option is the use of a QAM tuner with Cox cable if you have it. All the local HD channels are in the clear, so if you have any level of service you can get them for free. Cox doesn't appear to be doing any recompression, so the picture should be as good as you would get OTA.
post #645 of 11192 Old 08-04-2005, 01:37 PM

Well I get Cox High Speed Internet through them and I have DirecTV. Could I still get the QAM for free.
post #646 of 11192 Old 08-04-2005, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The only way to know for sure is to connect a QAM tuner and see. Most parts of town do not have "traps" installed and local digital channels are broadcast in the clear. There are still a few areas though, like Buckeye it seems, where they are not in the clear. If there is still a trap installed, a simple phone call might get it removed in selected areas.

Cheers, Dave
post #647 of 11192 Old 08-05-2005, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As is Patty Kirkpatrick. I seen her at a Suns game a couple of times.

Man, that cameraman obviously can do wonders.

C'mon.

You'd still do her.

post #648 of 11192 Old 08-05-2005, 08:47 PM

Quote:

C'mon.

You'd still do her.

Man, now that was funny. I needed that after a long day.

You know, we could always start a thread of which local newscaster is the HOTTEST.

Thanks,
IOTP
HDTV via DirecTV MPEG4
post #649 of 11192 Old 08-05-2005, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You know, we could always start a thread of which local newscaster is the HOTTEST.

Fay Fredricks, back in the days when she was in Flagstaff as a correspondent for channel 3
post #650 of 11192 Old 08-05-2005, 11:47 PM

Could you show me a HD direcTV receiver that has a QAM tuner. Im still unsure to what a QAM tuner is and how I would be getting channels with it for free. I live in northen phoenix. The TV ill be hooking all this up to will be a Samsung 6768. Thanks!
post #651 of 11192 Old 08-06-2005, 12:36 AM

Quote:

Matt Williams' wife Erika who used to be a weekend anchor on ch 3 and now does occasional weekend weather for them is a major babe.
I think that Beverly Kidd is pretty hot as well.
post #652 of 11192 Old 08-06-2005, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post

Matt Williams' wife Erika who used to be a weekend anchor on ch 3 and now does occasional weekend weather for them is a major babe.
I think that Beverly Kidd is pretty hot as well.

At least I'm not the only one saying Channel 3 has some nice looking ones And I'm not just talking about the Garden Guy LOL
post #653 of 11192 Old 08-06-2005, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Could you show me a HD direcTV receiver that has a QAM tuner. Im still unsure to what a QAM tuner is and how I would be getting channels with it for free. I live in northen phoenix. The TV ill be hooking all this up to will be a Samsung 6768. Thanks!

According to the spec sheet the Samsung HL-R6768W has a builtin tuner and is "digital cable" ready, which means that it can receive the channels without any additional equipment. You may need to specify digital cable in the setup for your TV or something to that effect, but once you plug the cable (the one hooked up to Cox) in, scan for channels. You should find the HD channels as follows: KSAZ on 76-1, KASW on 76-2, KNXV on 79-1, KPHO on 79-2, KPNX on 82-1, KAET 8.1 on 82-2, and KAET 8.2 on 82-3. You won't be able to receive any of the digital cable channels, or any of the other HD channels like ESPN or Showtime unless you pay for the appropriate level of service and get a set top box or Cablecard from Cox, but the locals are freely available.

Let us know what you find.
post #654 of 11192 Old 08-06-2005, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

DirecTV carries all of the O&O FSN-HD channels. The FSN-HD channels show up in the 90s usually on the day of the game. Here is a link to the FSN-HD schedule:

http://msn.foxsports.com/name/HD

Quote:

I have read on AVS where people have been 90+ miles away and the Silver Sensor pulls in their local channels. I have read posts where people do great with regular old rabbit ears at varying distances. What I am getting at is there is no way to know for sure until you try it at your location because there are so many factors that impact OTA reception. I suggest giving the Silver Sensor a try but make sure you can return it if it does not work for you. I myself being an owner of two Silver Sensors can say that it is the best indoor antenna money can buy. Good luck and keep us posted on what you come out with.

"With the advent of high-definition television, home viewers will see actors with extreme clarity and detail. Thus they will demand the stars of "Sex and the City" change their names to "The Golden Girls." -Conan O'Brien, In The Year 2000: Ted Danson Edition-
post #655 of 11192 Old 08-06-2005, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shink View Post

At least I'm not the only one saying Channel 3 has some nice looking ones ...

At the risk of continuing this outrageous hijack, check out the brand new mid-day weather girl on 3. April something, I think. She is way beyond adorable. 3 has always had the babes...somebody over there understands how important this is (or can at least relate to us perverts on that same level )

post #656 of 11192 Old 08-06-2005, 05:54 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

At the risk of continuing this outrageous hijack, check out the brand new mid-day weather girl on 3. April something, I think. She is way beyond adorable. 3 has always had the babes...somebody over there understands how important this is (or can at least relate to us perverts on that same level )

I think that Kaley O'Kelly, morning weather person on ABC 15 is pretty hot. At least when they don't let the in-house hairstylists mess with her hair. Lisa Fletcher and Tracey Kornet, both on ABC 15 aren't bad either.

The girl who does morning traffic on NBC is also a hottie. I haven't watched anything on channel 3 so I have no clue what you folks are talking about. I've seen Catherine Anaya in person last week and she is pretty. She's a little on the short side and her head tends to really stand-out from her body b/c she is sooooo skinny.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #657 of 11192 Old 08-06-2005, 08:42 PM

I have a question about this free digital cable from Cox. Now do I just call Cox and ask about the free local HD and they would just activate it for me? Im so confused. Also since this is through the cable and not OTA wouldnt this have the better signal in my case? Thanks
post #658 of 11192 Old 08-06-2005, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I can tell you this much: HD from OTA stations can never be better when received from cable TV or from DBS than it is directly OTA, because they either receive it (or will receive it) OTA or in SMPTE310 format in the first place, or they convert it to another digitaly-encoded format (with unavoidable concatenation), or both. It can be ALMOST as good, but never achieve exactly the same quality. OTA will always be the best and the most reliable way to receive OTA HD, but if you can't get a signal, cable or DBS will do just fine, too.

post #659 of 11192 Old 08-06-2005, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a question about this free digital cable from Cox. Now do I just call Cox and ask about the free local HD and they would just activate it for me? Im so confused. Also since this is through the cable and not OTA wouldn't this have the better signal in my case? Thanks

1. Don't bother calling Cox because most likely the CSR you talk to wll try to convince you that you need their HD box. The HD signals are already there (unless there is a "trap" installed at the street) and all anyone needs to receive them is a QAM-capable HD tuner, either one that is integrated with the TV or a standalone unit.

2. In theory, your PQ should be just as good as OTA. However, there are a lot of factors involved with both broadcasting and receiving signals via OTA, cable, or sat, so your PQ will depend on one or more of them. Cox gets most, in not all, their HD signals OTA. That signal is then modulated (QAM) for transmission, etc. Some folks I know who measured all 3 signals say there is no intrinsic difference, but the equipment used to display the signals, particularly the HD tuners, all have their idiosyncracies (different chipsets, etc.), so there will be minor differences. Some channels may look better on sat, others on cable, etc. As far as I can tell, it is all but impossible to receive the perfect signal for all channels on any one system.

3. You just connect the cable to your TV's integrated HD tuner, scan for channels, and you should get the locals that Cox carries. This assumes the following:

A. You gave us the correct TV model number and the TV has an integrated QAM-capable tuner.

B. You have at least basic cable service, either by itself or with your internet service.

C. There is not a "trap" installed in the box on the street.

D. You have the TV User's Guide and the instructions on which connection to use and how to scan for digital channels.

Cheers, Dave
post #660 of 11192 Old 08-07-2005, 02:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a question about this free digital cable from Cox. Now do I just call Cox and ask about the free local HD and they would just activate it for me? Im so confused. Also since this is through the cable and not OTA wouldnt this have the better signal in my case? Thanks

You don't need to do anything with Cox. Just plug the cable in, and have your TV scan for HD channels. Assuming the document I linked to previously is the correct one for your TV, and assuming Cox doesn't have traps in your neighborhood, you should be able to receive the local stations in HD with no problems. If you currently receive analog channels 2-22 on your cable, then you are qualified as having the lowest price package, and thus Cox is legally obligated to provide the HD channels to you for no additional charge, and with no encryption.

Quote:

I can tell you this much: HD from OTA stations can never be better when received from cable TV or from DBS than it is directly OTA, because they either receive it (or will receive it) OTA or in SMPTE310 format in the first place, or they convert it to another digitaly-encoded format (with unavoidable concatenation), or both. It can be ALMOST as good, but never achieve exactly the same quality. OTA will always be the best and the most reliable way to receive OTA HD, but if you can't get a signal, cable or DBS will do just fine, too.

If you live in a marginal area, or have a lot of multipath, then cable will still be better than OTA, especially for those of us who can't put up an antenna at our primary residence due to not owning the building.

As far as I can tell, Cox does no reencoding of the audio/video on the local HD channels they carry. They do remodulate it from the 8VSB received OTA or whatever other scheme they happen to get if via fiber to QAM256 for distribution over cable, but this in no way effects picture quality. Think of it as taking a package and putting it in a different box. It's still the exact same on the inside, but the wrapper looks a bit different. Other cable providers around the country often will reencode the video to a lower bitrate to be able to fit 3 HD channels in the space of one 38mbit RF cable channel, but Cox only puts 2 HD channels per physical channel, which should leave enough room for 2 full 19.2mbit ATSC channels. DBS absolutely will be recompressing the signals, because they just have less space to work with. DBS isn't really much of an option for broadcast HD locals, because all we are able to receive is Fox from LA, at least until Phoenix is added to D*'s list of carried HD markets sometime next year.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page