post #751 of 11208 Old 08-26-2005, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjon2 View Post

I finally called Samsung and they think it's a bad tuner. They will send someone out to look at it (first part of September). This is an area of over one and a half million people!! I can't believe it takes so long.

Hope you get it fixed before the fall season starts, but that's going to be cutting it close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 11208 Old 08-26-2005, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

...Doing an HD game on 3.1 wouldn't make sense from a viewership point of view, because it isn't carried on any cable or satellite provider, while the FSN games are carried on both Cox and D*. I would wager that the majority of HD viewers in Phoenix subscribe to either Cox or D* just for the additional channel offerings, especially those who are sports fans.
Theoretically, if the D-Backs did do HD for a game on KTVK, the best idea would be to air it on KASW-DT since that is carried by Cox, so at least a larger number of viewers can see it. Since Belo owns both stations, and they are both operated from the same location, it could be done easily.

On a more off-topic note, is the game on D* 95 carried on a Phoenix spot beam or CONUS?

I think HD games on 3.1 would certainly make a lot of sense for those who receive 3.1 OTA, which also includes many PHX DirecTV subs, who while they get HD from sat, still get almost all big 6 network HD from OTA (and some from KTTV-DT) which also allows them to see (and record) 3.1. For example I have two HD Tivos, not because I want HD from DirecTV, but because I can now record 4 OTA programs in HD at once. About 95% of my HD recording is OTA, and I am happy to pay DirecTV for the privilege of ignoring their meager HD fare in order to record HD OTA, ironic as that concept might sound.

61.1 makes sense, but only for games that would not interrupt prime time, which would piss off viewers as well as the WB.

CONUS? Spot? I have no idea if any of the spot beams include HD signals. My guess would be not.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
post #753 of 11208 Old 08-26-2005, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCat View Post

I think HD games on 3.1 would certainly make a lot of sense for those who receive 3.1 OTA, which also includes many PHX DirecTV subs, who while they get HD from sat, still get almost all big 6 network HD from OTA (and some from KTTV-DT) which also allows them to see (and record) 3.1. For example I have two HD Tivos, not because I want HD from DirecTV, but because I can now record 4 OTA programs in HD at once. About 95% of my HD recording is OTA, and I am happy to pay DirecTV for the privilege of ignoring their meager HD fare in order to record HD OTA, ironic as that concept might sound.

61.1 makes sense, but only for games that would not interrupt prime time, which would piss off viewers as well as the WB.

I much prefer recording HD on my PC, where it can be converted to other formats depending on what I want to do with it (high-resolution XviD for small sizes and high quality, or DVDR for portability, or full-res DVD backups for shows worth keeping in HD quality). I realize that this task is beyond most people, but it's nice to have options for unlimited storage, which just doesn't happen with an HDTivo or an SA8300HD.

61.1 would make plenty of sense during the summer rerun season, especially for weekend games since there isn't any HD network programming on WB on the weekends anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've seen, a significant portion (1/2-2/3 maybe?) of the games on 3 are weekend games.

This all assumes that people actually want to watch the D-Backs lose in HD, of course. I'm much more interested in seeing the Coyotes in HD (shocker, I know).
post #754 of 11208 Old 08-27-2005, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

This all assumes that people actually want to watch the D-Backs lose in HD, of course. I'm much more interested in seeing the Coyotes in HD (shocker, I know).

Since almost everyone here is an immigrant, it's not about seeing the Dbacks lose, it's about seeing their original hometown team win!
post #755 of 11208 Old 08-27-2005, 02:53 PM

Newbie OTA Antenna Query: I live about 15 miles east of South Mt. - Having no luck with an indoor antenna, I put a $25 Radio Shack in the attic. HD reception is great except for Channel 15 and 12 which seem to come and go. Cannot get Cardinals game on 15 but can always get J.Leno - fantastic. Do these stations transmit at different powers at different times of day? My antenna appears to be aimed south, not west to S. Mt. - Aren't all UHF transmitters on the S. MT?? Thanks! Great learners' forum BTW.
post #756 of 11208 Old 08-27-2005, 04:01 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomreid View Post

Newbie OTA Antenna Query: I live about 15 miles east of South Mt. - Having no luck with an indoor antenna, I put a $25 Radio Shack in the attic. HD reception is great except for Channel 15 and 12 which seem to come and go. Cannot get Cardinals game on 15 but can always get J.Leno - fantastic. Do these stations transmit at different powers at different times of day? My antenna appears to be aimed south, not west to S. Mt. - Aren't all UHF transmitters on the S. MT?? Thanks! Great learners' forum BTW.

Is the antenna a settop antenna? Have you tried using it outside of the attic?

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #757 of 11208 Old 08-27-2005, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Do these stations transmit at different powers at different times of day?

I don't believe so unless they are doing some maintenance or having difficulties.
Quote:

My antenna appears to be aimed south, not west to S. Mt. - Aren't all UHF transmitters on the S. MT?

Yes, they are all in the same relative location. If your antenna is pointing south, it looks like you may be picking up bounced signals and may be experiencing multipath problems on some of them. I assume you have tried re-orienting your antenna due west, though AFAIK stucco, tile roofs, etc., if you have them, can adversely affect attic reception. Of course, your problems are the very reason I have stayed with cable.

Cheers, Dave
post #758 of 11208 Old 08-27-2005, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...I put a $25 Radio Shack in the attic. HD reception is great except for Channel 15 and 12 which seem to come and go...

My antenna appears to be aimed south, not west to S. Mt. - Aren't all UHF transmitters on the S. MT??...

I'm confused. Since YOU installed it, why is it not pointed to S. Mt.? Is this axis where you get the best reception? If so, you are indeed picking up a significant bounce, and must be shielded from line of sight. Line of sight is imperative, as is minimizing reflected signals. All DTV stations (that we care about) are indeed coming from S. Mt. I know folks near you who also get Tuscon stations, so you may try those to fill in the blanks, but you would probably end up with a rotor or dual antennas to make that work. I would try a Channel Master 4228. Folks at TivoCommunity.com seem to have great luck with that at your distance.

Quote:

...Do these stations transmit at different powers at different times of day?...

Not on purpose (unless requested by tower maintenance crew regulations), and not usually. Signal level is not the issue, anyway. You are close enough to have plenty of signal (assuming line of sight) using a paperclip for an antenna (still not a good idea, as that is technically an "omni" antenna). If you see a varying level of reception via the metering on a STB/ DVR or HDTV, that does not indicate signal strength, but instead what ratio of bits are being decoded properly vs. corrupted. If that is changing wildly, it means you are having interference issues, and not that the power transmitted or received is changing. For instance, I know when certain stations are transmitting at reduced power, but the indicator on my HR10s and my Sony HDTV still indicate the same "level" of reception integrity. IOW, the carrier level may drop, but in either case I am still decoding all (or enough) bits properly, so the picture remains and the indication on the meter remains the same.

post #759 of 11208 Old 08-27-2005, 05:38 PM

My UHF attic antenna is pointed south in order to get reception form the greatest # of channels. This direction gets me Channels 3 (usually OK), 5 (fantastic), 8 (fantastic), 10 (fantastic) and 45. However since 12 & 15 cannot hold the signal for more than 2-3 seconds, I'm guessing that I'm receiving a bounced signal (?) on the entire range of channels. Pointing west (direct to S.Mt.) gets me 8 and nothing else. I live in the typical stucco single level and now I'm wondering about the stucco chicken wire interference that someone mentioned. If I stood on my roof I doubt that I would have an absolutely clear 'line of sight' to S. Mt. antennae - but neither does some viewer living in an apartment (?). Gotta be a tree or 2 story house somewhere. I guess I need to stand on my roof! This is a terriffic place for helpful ideas! Thanks to all!
post #760 of 11208 Old 08-27-2005, 06:39 PM

On the west side of town it's 12 and 45 that give me the most trouble, ususlly mostly snow with a barely discernable image, Ocassionally it will mostly clear up. I have an OTA on a mast and live in Buckeye.
post #761 of 11208 Old 08-28-2005, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...I live in the typical stucco single level and now I'm wondering about the stucco chicken wire interference that someone mentioned. If I stood on my roof I doubt that I would have an absolutely clear 'line of sight' to S. Mt. antennae...

You might have hit on something (siding or other metallic structure directly in the attic).

In my experience line of sight is necessary. Things may have improved in 5th-gen tuner technology (and unless you have a new LG or Zenith you have 4th-gen or less), but when there was only one digital TV signal out there (1999) a cadre of engineers and I tried vainly to receive it from just 5 miles away using a $200 extremely-directional very high gain antenna on a 50-foot tower, aided by spectrum analyzers and pro SLMs into a $35,000 receiver ! This was in downtown Phoenix, a very reflective environment, and we were shielded by a 14-story building. We could never get consistent lock for more than a few minutes. We had tons of signal...it's just that most of it was coming at us from every direction except from directly from S. Mt.

The second we were able to peek around the corner of that building (which took constructing a hardline coax transport trunk to a site 2 blocks away at a cost of about 5 large and 2 years of enduring city of Phoenix permitting processes), we had perfect reception and have had ever since, even in that highly-reflective environment.

I assume there is a point where less reflectivity along with better tuners will allow reception without line of sight, but if you think about it, if you don't have LOS all you really have is reflections, meaning you must pick the single reflection (if it exists) that is significantly stronger than all the rest to make that work. Good luck to all who face that scenario.

post #762 of 11208 Old 08-28-2005, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On the west side of town it's 12 and 45 that give me the most trouble, ususlly mostly snow with a barely discernable image, Ocassionally it will mostly clear up. I have an OTA on a mast and live in Buckeye.

If you are experiencing snow, I am guessing that you are speaking of 12 and 45 rather than 12.1 and 45.1. (We typically discuss DT reception here, but OK. For instance when we say "3" we are usually using shorthand for "3.1", etc, so it can get a bit confusing.)

post #763 of 11208 Old 08-28-2005, 08:57 AM

Nope - DT only - UHF antenna located in attic with concrete tile roof, stucco walls, crowded subdivision - neighbor's fireplace chimney in LOS - 2 air handlers in attic - will attempt to climb roof sometime.
post #764 of 11208 Old 08-28-2005, 02:03 PM

Thanks Dave. I have a QAM tuner and am receiving both HD and SD on almost each channel. I started to delete all the non HD channels but being new to the game I didn't know if certain times of the day I might be deleting the entire channel broadcast. Can I logically delete all except the .1 channels? Now it's a pain when flipping channels to have to flip both the HD and non-HD version. Channel 12 cleared up and now it's just 15 and 45 that are snowy (OTA is the only thing I have hooked up).

When I originally turned it on tonight I was disappointed. It wasn't any better than my analog TV. Eyes looked sharp but faces were soft and just wasn't that good of a PQ. I got to thinking when the tech changed the tuner he went back in and bumped the contrast up to 82 and turned the sharpness down to 24. Which didn't make sense. I went back in and lowered the contrast to 62 and bumped the sharpness up to 70 and now it's as sharp as you would ever want. Another problem I had was the shadows that couldn't be opened up with either contrast or brightness. After upping the sharpness the shadows opened up beautifully. Still needs some fine tuning I know but at least I'm very happy with the TV.

The tech said it wasn't the high contrast and brightnesss that burned the bulbs out it was mostly the heat, especially if it's in a contained Entertainment Center with little ventilation. He suggested an exhaust fan near the top to pull the hot air out. After 3 hrs of watching I felt all around the set and it wasn't even warm anywhere I could reach and no warm air creeping over the top. So the jury is still out on some issues for me.

Thanks, I'll be glad to get rid of the analog equivalents of the channels. I hooked up cox cable but the reception was horrible, pasty faces and totally unsharp. I pulled the cable and am totally OTA. Just checked my channels and changed to all .1 and things are fine now. (Still learning).
post #765 of 11208 Old 08-28-2005, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not to belabor the point, since you seem to be satisfied for now, but when you had the cable connected, did you scan for digital channels? You should have found the unecrypted QAM channels I've listed below. They should be crystal clear and would negate the need for an antenna to get them OTA. You would still need an antenna for the others (3 and 45), but this might allow you to reorient your antenna for better reception on the ones you are still having problems with.

As you can see, one of the channels you are having trouble with is 15.1 and it is available at 79.1 on cable. Channels 3 and 45 are the only digial channels not available on cable since they don't broadcast any HD yet.

It doesn't matter to me which way you go, I just wanted to make sure you understand the options. QAM is only used on cable, so right now you are only using the OTA portion of your integrated tuner. That's not to say there is anything wrong with that, but it sounds like you are still having some problems with a couple of your channels OTA.

Quote:

Local Channels available with an integrated QAM tuner and subscription to basic cable:
76-1 KSAZ-DT (Fox 10)
76-2 KASW-DT (WB 61)
79-1 KNXV-DT (ABC 15)
79-2 KPHO-DT (CBS 5)
81-1 KPNX-DT (NBC 12)
81-2 KAET-DT-1 (PBS HDTV)
81-3 KAET-DT-2 (PBS Kids until 4pm, then simulcast of the analog KAET-TV) (SD 480i)

Cheers, Dave
post #766 of 11208 Old 08-29-2005, 01:53 PM

You're right Dave, I do get 76.1 etc. when I hook the cable up. Since I'm getting everything I want off the Air, it's easier this way than switching back and forth from cable to air and remembering which is which. My channels have all cleared up now and pq is good. I have the cable connected to the old 36 " RCA in the bedroom and that has outstanding reception when I want to watch something besides OTA (seldom). Thanks for making it clear for a newby who can always use the helpl

Ron
post #767 of 11208 Old 08-29-2005, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You're welcome. Glad you got everything working to your saisfaction.

Cheers, Dave
post #768 of 11208 Old 08-30-2005, 12:23 AM

When I autoprogrammed my 5667W, I must have deleted channel 15 HD and kept the SD one. How do I add 15.1 to the channels I currently receive? Hope I don't have to go the total autoprogamme route. Thanks

Ron
post #769 of 11208 Old 08-30-2005, 06:28 AM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I autoprogrammed my 5667W, I must have deleted channel 15 HD and kept the SD one. How do I add 15.1 to the channels I currently receive? Hope I don't have to go the total autoprogamme route. Thanks

Ron

You may have to re-scen for the hd channels. I'm not sure how it would work your television.

post #770 of 11208 Old 08-31-2005, 10:13 AM

Did anyone else find their Fox West Coast HD feed turned off in the past day or two? As of last night I get the "call customer service" message. Do I have to suscribe to SD locals to get this to work now?
post #771 of 11208 Old 08-31-2005, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsingleton View Post

Did anyone else find their Fox West Coast HD feed turned off in the past day or two? As of last night I get the "call customer service" message. Do I have to suscribe to SD locals to get this to work now?

I'm still getting KTTVHD. I believe you have to subscribe to the locals to get it.

Loren
post #772 of 11208 Old 08-31-2005, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsingleton View Post

I still have it.
post #773 of 11208 Old 08-31-2005, 07:41 PM

How do I find out what channel to put the Sam 5667 on so the DVD playerwill play DVD'S?
post #774 of 11208 Old 08-31-2005, 07:46 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How do I find out what channel to put the Sam 5667 on so the DVD playerwill play DVD'S?

It should be in your instruction manual. It's hard to say without knowing how your tv works for each input.

post #775 of 11208 Old 08-31-2005, 08:30 PM

We can't find it in the book. Both my neighabors have sony's and they just laugh and say it's easy for them.
post #776 of 11208 Old 08-31-2005, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All you should have to do is switch to whichever input you connected your DVD player too.

As for your neighbors, a lot of help they are.

Cheers, Dave
post #777 of 11208 Old 08-31-2005, 09:40 PM

I have switched it to every imput that isn't greyed out, manually flipped thru all the avail channels for that input, all say no imput or poor signal. I know I'm dense but how do I find out which channel to use?
post #778 of 11208 Old 08-31-2005, 09:47 PM

How do you quote the msg in the reply, I click the Options box but the checkmark won't take.

"You may have to re-scen for the hd channels. I'm not sure how it would work your television."

DVDs that you can use to test your display reproduction capabilities
Panasonic CRT calibration site
RP MASTER BURN-IN Thread
This is a classic
Got wood?

It takes 33 min to autoprogram the channels which I have done 6 times now and miss something each time!! This time I lost 15 and 45 which are SAP instead of HD now//// Oh well, there is always tomorrow.
post #779 of 11208 Old 09-01-2005, 11:02 AM

I am looking for someone to assist me in connecting my Samsung 5667W, DVD player, and Onkyo Surround sound. They all worked on my old analog but I can't get it right on the HDTV. I will also run the DVE disk with your help. I have heard prices in excess of $200 for a full calibration but this is too pricy for me. Anyone interested in the challenge? Is here anyone in the West Valley that would be interested for a reasonable price? I am in Buckeye, one block off I10. You can reach me by e-mail. (ronjon2@cox.net)

Ron
post #780 of 11208 Old 09-01-2005, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

ron, I'm sending you an email and will help as much as I can.

Cheers, Dave
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page