2Likes

post #781 of 11179 Old 09-01-2005, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

There have always been some extra channels whe you scan for digitals on Cox. That doesn't mena there are any new channels comiong soon, though they could be reserved for UPN and KTVK when/if they start broadcasting HD.
The only HD channels you pay extra for are HBO, SHO, and STZ, but only by subscribing to their package, the HD channels themselves are included in the individual packages and are not available ala carte. The bottom line is that if you subscribe to digital cable and any of the premium packages, there is no added charge for any HD channels beyond the rental fee for the HD tuner/cablecard. You cannot get ESPN-HD though simply by subscribing to basic cable and having an integrated QAM tuner.

So, if I understand correctly, I have to subscribe to Cox Digital Cable to get any HD at all, right? I have a built in HD tuner but can not get any HD OTA channels (looking into an antenna). If I subscribe to just basic cable, will I be able to get any HD channels?

Nojo[font=Book Antiqua]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 11179 Old 09-01-2005, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by nojo View Post

So, if I understand correctly, I have to subscribe to Cox Digital Cable to get any HD at all, right?

No, that is not true, but there are plenty of caveats to that.
Quote:

I have a built in HD tuner but can not get any HD OTA channels (looking into an antenna). If I subscribe to just basic cable, will I be able to get any HD channels?

Yes, you should, but be advised that if you call Cox they may give you the runaround and not know what you are talking about. Cox internet comes with basic cable service and there are those who are receiving HD channels with a built-in tuner. However, some parts of town still have filters/traps installed that may prevent this. Also, you will only be able to receive the local HD channels and not the other HD channels Cox offers and not any digital channels that are not yet broadcasting HD (3TV and UPN). The first post in this thread spells it all out.

Cheers, Dave
post #783 of 11179 Old 09-01-2005, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFH View Post

Miguel is correct, you shouldn't have too much of a problem getting the OTA hd locals depending on the placement of your antenna. I use a antenna that sits on top of my tv connected to QAM tuner and I live about 17 miles from the antennas and I'm able to get all of the stations.

AFH, what model of antenna do you have? I need an indoor one, I have no attic and live in a condo.

Nojo[font=Book Antiqua]
post #784 of 11179 Old 09-01-2005, 12:03 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

AFH, what model of antenna do you have? I need an indoor one, I have no attic and live in a condo.

It's a old Rat Shack model that I had back in Florida. The thing is at least 3.5 yrs old. It's a basic antenna with a circular loop in the middle that can be turned left or right and two things that can be pulled up to varying hieghts with a knob in the middle to adjust things. Very basic as I said. Now I do have a amp connected to it b/c when I tried using the thing without the amp I couldn't get anything. The amp is also a Rat Shack amp with a knob that allows you to adjust the strenght.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #785 of 11179 Old 09-01-2005, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFH View Post

It's a old Rat Shack model that I had back in Florida. The thing is at least 3.5 yrs old. It's a basic antenna with a circular loop in the middle that can be turned left or right and two things that can be pulled up to varying hieghts with a knob in the middle to adjust things. Very basic as I said. Now I do have a amp connected to it b/c when I tried using the thing without the amp I couldn't get anything. The amp is also a Rat Shack amp with a knob that allows you to adjust the strenght.

Sounds like the same antenna type I have. An amp, huh? I will have to look into that. I am probably stopping by Radio Shack tonight. If I ask for an antenna amp for indoor rabbit ears, will they be able to show me what I need? Or do you have specific examples? Thanks a million for the response, BTW!

Nojo[font=Book Antiqua]
post #786 of 11179 Old 09-01-2005, 01:20 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sounds like the same antenna type I have. An amp, huh? I will have to look into that. I am probably stopping by Radio Shack tonight. If I ask for an antenna amp for indoor rabbit ears, will they be able to show me what I need? Or do you have specific examples? Thanks a million for the response, BTW!

I looked on Rat Shack's website and I could not find the amp that I have. Needless to say, you may not need an amp. The one that I have allows you connect the antenna to the amp and run a wire from the amp to the input device. You plug the amp into an electrical outlet to make it work. If you're going to get an amp, just tell them you need an amp for a indoor antenna. They have numerous amps and you'll have to decide which will fit your needs. You have to remember that putting an amp onto your antenna may over-power the signal you're currently getting, if you're getting any signal at all. It helped that I wasn't getting any signal. The knob on the amp will allow you to adjust as you see fit.

post #787 of 11179 Old 09-01-2005, 08:25 PM

Anyone know if Cableone has unencrypted QAM?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I live in Prescott Valley and have basic cable with Cableone. Do they offer unencrypted channels QAM for HDTV. If so what channels? I have seen this list for Cox , but am wondering if Cableone is similar.
post #788 of 11179 Old 09-01-2005, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matternaz View Post

Anyone know if Cableone has unencrypted QAM?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I live in Prescott Valley and have basic cable with Cableone. Do they offer unencrypted channels QAM for HDTV. If so what channels? I have seen this list for Cox , but am wondering if Cableone is similar.

Haven't heard and I don't think I've seen anyone else from the Prescott area post here. I checked our local Phoenix forum and didn't find anything there on Prescott either. You can always try giving them a call and ask to talk to someone with technical knowledge about HDTV because I suspect no one else will have a clue. If you have an integrated QAM-capable tuner, you can just scan for digital channels and see what you get. Even if they are encrypted, they might show up, you just won't be able to watch them. Obviously, if you are thinking of buying a QAM-capable tuner, this doesn't help you much and you will have to call them or wait to see if someone else responds to your post. The only way we found out about the Cox-Phoenix list was for someone to scan and post the results.

Cheers, Dave
post #789 of 11179 Old 09-02-2005, 06:29 PM

I have been calling cableone all week , but the tech guy they referred me to did not call me back all week. Finally, I spoke to someone today who confirmed they do not encrypt the networks, fox, espn, tnt and another channel I am unfamiliar with. I plan to buy the Fusion lite PCI card for my pC that will pick up QAM256 from cable as long as it is not encrypted. Anyone had experience with it?
post #790 of 11179 Old 09-03-2005, 01:09 PM

Anyone know why Cox is broadcasting the NFLNetwork on INHD2 on 722? So far all the content has been SD with grey pillarboxes. Will this content be HD for the regular season or is this just how it is? Thanks

Donald

Audio Engineer
------------------------
The Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences
post #791 of 11179 Old 09-05-2005, 02:38 PM

I'm up in Anthem, has anyone had any luck at all receiving OTA HD up here? I know it relies heavily on line of sight, there are some small mountains between myself and the HD broadcast towers on South Mountain which are about 35 miles away.

Also, there has been talk in this forum regarding getting the basic network HD chanels through a basic cable Cox subscription and a HDTV with a cable card. Does this work up here?

I currently have DirecTV and I am waiting to pull the trigger on HD until I can be sure that I will be able to somehow get the HD network channels up here.

Thanks for any help in advance.

-John
post #792 of 11179 Old 09-05-2005, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald V View Post

Anyone know why Cox is broadcasting the NFLNetwork on INHD2 on 722? So far all the content has been SD with grey pillarboxes. Will this content be HD for the regular season or is this just how it is? Thanks

Donald

No one seems to know just what is going on. I haven't watched and, frankly, am a little upset that regular INHD2 programming has been preempted, while others complain that all games haven't been in HD. If someone is so into sports, if you can call pre-season football that, it seems they should simply enjoy what is broadcast.

Anyway, I don't know if they are testing the waters before offering this channel in it's own right or if they will simply use channel 722 to broadcast some HD games during the regular season, much like they've done with FSN baseball games. If their goal was to gain HD sports viewers, it seems to me they failed miserably, while alienating those of us who would have preferred to view some of the INHD2 scheduled programs this weekend.

I've been watching HD on Cox now for well over 2 years and the most frustrating aspect continues to be the lack of information. They can't explain why they don't offer all the HD channels that are available and then they never explain this kind of stuff so we can plan our viewing accordingly. Earlier this year they tested simulcasting a digital version of their analog channels. We never did find out what happened and why the effort was abandoned and I'm sure we'll never find out just what is going on here. Stay tuned for more (or less) information.

Cheers, Dave
post #793 of 11179 Old 09-05-2005, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy597 View Post

I'm up in Anthem, has anyone had any luck at all receiving OTA HD up here? I know it relies heavily on line of sight, there are some small mountains between myself and the HD broadcast towers on South Mountain which are about 35 miles away.

John,
I'm in Anthem too, and I receive all of the local digital channels OTA, and I also receive a few from Tucson.
There is a mountain about 1 mile from me directly blocking my LOS to South Mountain, but I can still pick up the signals pretty well.
I'm using a Winegard PR4400 (4 bay bow tie) antenna, with a Winegard AP8275 pre-amp. I have the antenna mounted outside on the side of my house (below the roof line). Finding the right spot to mount the antenna was difficult though.

-Ray
post #794 of 11179 Old 09-05-2005, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy597 View Post

Also, there has been talk in this forum regarding getting the basic network HD chanels through a basic cable Cox subscription and a HDTV with a cable card. Does this work up here?

I have Cox High Speed Internet, and the 7 local digital channels that Cox carries are available on their cable line as unencrypted QAM256 channels. No, you don't need a cable card - just a digital tuner that is QAM capable. My Mitsubishi HDTV with integrated digital tuner can display those channels. I also have a FusionHDTV 5 Lite PC tuner card that works with the Cox cable, but I opted to go OTA with it - the Fusion software is way too unstable with QAM.
post #795 of 11179 Old 09-06-2005, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAZ.HDTV View Post

I have Cox High Speed Internet, and the 7 local digital channels that Cox carries are available on their cable line as unencrypted QAM256 channels. No, you don't need a cable card - just a digital tuner that is QAM capable. My Mitsubishi HDTV with integrated digital tuner can display those channels. I also have a FusionHDTV 5 Lite PC tuner card that works with the Cox cable, but I opted to go OTA with it - the Fusion software is way too unstable with QAM.

So, with the subscription to just Cox High Speed Internet, and an internal tuner with QAM capability, do you get just the local cable channels' HD content or do you get those channels all the time, whether they are braodcasting HD or not?

Nojo[font=Book Antiqua]
post #796 of 11179 Old 09-06-2005, 09:46 AM

I bought an HDTV antenna from Radio Shack that amplifies the signal 26 Db and am now able to get channel 5.1 CBS OTA. It is awesome! I actually sat and watched tennis this weekend, which is saying a lot considering I rarely can stand more than a few minutes of it. I also got 3.1 a couple times but now it is gone, it seems.

I am dissapointed that I can not get any more channels. I am not sure whether or not to try getting an extension so I can move the antenna around more or getting an external amp. If I turn the gain knob up too much, 5.1 goes out. Or maybe I should just try to find a "real" antenna, like the Silver Sensor. Thoughts?

Nojo[font=Book Antiqua]
post #797 of 11179 Old 09-06-2005, 10:48 AM

Thank you everyone for the discussion about receiving HD content free with a TV that has a built in QAM tuner, if one subscribes to Cox high speed internet. Unfortunately, I do not currently subscribe to Cox anything.

Does anyone know if this is possible with Qwest also? I know they now offer VDSL services that combines Their Qwest Choice Online internet service with Qwest Choice TV that comes over the same line, much the same as Cox digital telephone and internet services, although it is not available yet where I live.

Nojo[font=Book Antiqua]
post #798 of 11179 Old 09-06-2005, 11:16 AM

nojo,

I take it you have dial-up? Just go with Cox internet services, faster speed, and reliable service, and you'll be able to get HD locals, plus expanded basic. Hard to beat, and I would just take a guess that most people here have Cox, although I would be interested to hear about someone's opinion about Quest's services.

Good luck,

Rich
post #799 of 11179 Old 09-06-2005, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytyguy View Post

nojo,

I take it you have dial-up? Just go with Cox internet services, faster speed, and reliable service, and you'll be able to get HD locals, plus expanded basic. Hard to beat, and I would just take a guess that most people here have Cox, although I would be interested to hear about someone's opinion about Quest's services.

Good luck,

Rich

Actually, I have Qwest high speed Internet. That's why I am hoping that if I switch to their TV "cable" service, I can get HD too.

Nojo[font=Book Antiqua]
post #800 of 11179 Old 09-06-2005, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't believe Qwest offers HD and I don't think they will do so any time soon. Also, AFAIK, they only offer TV services in the areas that are already wired, I don't believe they are expanding it to new areas, but I could be wrong. I haven't kept up with them, but I know at one time they said they were not expanding the TV service. That was shortly after they merged with US West, but things may have changed.

nojo, if you'll add a location to your profile, we'll be better able to help you make a decision on an antenna. There are plenty of people here from all parts of the valley with a lot of antenna experience, but it's hard to advise you without knowing your location.

Cheers, Dave
post #801 of 11179 Old 09-07-2005, 04:54 AM

According to Quest's website for Phoenix they do not offer HD services, or at least they don't indicate it.

Regards,

Rich
post #802 of 11179 Old 09-07-2005, 01:42 PM

Quote:

I don't believe Qwest offers HD and I don't think they will do so any time soon. Also, AFAIK, they only offer TV services in the areas that are already wired, I don't believe they are expanding it to new areas, but I could be wrong. I haven't kept up with them, but I know at one time they said they were not expanding the TV service. That was shortly after they merged with US West, but things may have changed.

nojo, if you'll add a location to your profile, we'll be better able to help you make a decision on an antenna. There are plenty of people here from all parts of the valley with a lot of antenna experience, but it's hard to advise you without knowing your location.

I live at 40th st and Union Hills. Anyone near here get OTA reception?

Qwest told me yesterday that their Choice TV includes HD, but I would want to hear it from several different CSRs before beleiving it.

Nojo[font=Book Antiqua]
post #803 of 11179 Old 09-07-2005, 08:52 PM

I have qwest vdsl right now in Anthem. Does anyone know if they will use QAM or 8VSB for HD in the future. according to the rep I spoke w/ they dont offer hd right now and didn't know when/what they'd use.

I'm asking now b/c i saw a good deal on a OTA/cable set top box i'd like to purchase now. The other factor is we might be moving in the next 6 mos closer to the metro phx area. Any recommendations?
post #804 of 11179 Old 09-07-2005, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Remember, Qwest has an agreement with DirecTV, but FWIW, here's a thread discussing Qwest HD:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...st#post5968428

Cheers, Dave
post #805 of 11179 Old 09-09-2005, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the forum link, Dave. It turns out Qwest does not offer their Choice TV service in my area anyway, so that is out. It looks like my only option is Cox, whom my wife is convinced has the worst customer service around. It will be hard to convince her.

The good news is that last night I connected a 25 foot cable so I could take my indoor antenna (Silver Sensor) upstairs. I now get several OTA digital channels! Signal strength is between 70 & 80. I even get UPN 45 from Phoenix and from Tucson which was confusing for awhile. But this is much better than just one channel although it makes it harder to sell my wife on the need to get cable. I doubt she will like the cord strung up the stairs for too long, though. Any feedback on Cox cable service? Maybe I better search for another forum on that.

Nojo[font=Book Antiqua]
post #806 of 11179 Old 09-09-2005, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any feedback on Cox cable service? Maybe I better search for another forum on that.

Which service are you talking about?
If you're talking about the PQ, the analogs (2-99) are mediocre to awful. The standard def digital channels (100-699) are passable (premiums like Showtime and HBO are much nicer than the standard stuff), visibly better than D*, and about the same to slightly better than E* depending on the channel. The HD channels are excellent, equal to OTA for the networks and better than any satellite on the "cable" channels.

However, if you're talking about their support, they may as well call it customer disservice for how terrible most of the reps are. Most of them don't have half a clue about HD, so expect to get the runaround if you have to call support.
post #807 of 11179 Old 09-09-2005, 01:14 PM

I live near Carefree Highway and can receive the HD locals with the exception of 61-1 WB with an amplified $50 RCA antenna. Anyone in North Phoenix have any ideas about this ?

Attempting to install a better antenna in the attic, but cannot find the cable that I was told was ran from the tv area to the attic.

Have not as yet made the investment to upgrade my D* service yet. Is it worth waiting for mpeg4 to roll out or should I get it now ? Any thoughts ?
post #808 of 11179 Old 09-09-2005, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickhirani View Post

I have qwest vdsl right now in Anthem. Does anyone know if they will use QAM or 8VSB for HD in the future. according to the rep I spoke w/ they dont offer hd right now and didn't know when/what they'd use.

I'm asking now b/c i saw a good deal on a OTA/cable set top box i'd like to purchase now. The other factor is we might be moving in the next 6 mos closer to the metro phx area. Any recommendations?

Probably neither, its VDSL and my understanding is that qwest streams the video for only the channel you are watching and not anything else. I don't know much about VDSL but the usual ADSL most people have is limited to 7Mb download. If its the same vdsl wouldn't be fast enough for HD.
post #809 of 11179 Old 09-09-2005, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hey guys, that was me who started that thread. I currently live in Vegas (and am a frequest poster on the Local Las Vegas HDTV thread. My girlfriend just moved back to paradise valley and I am following her in a couple of months. NOW, given that she could not get HD Qwest, she went with Directv. Unfortunately, she lives in a condo, where the installer had a hard time getting the dish aligned as the corner of the building blocked the sats. He was able to get Sat A, but could not get Sat B or C. So, the long and short, no HD, which is unfortunate. However, I did not get warm fuzzies from my girlfriends description of his level of effort. Do you guys know a Directv installer that may be more creative to get all three sats?

Thanks

Quote:

Remember, Qwest has an agreement with DirecTV, but FWIW, here's a thread discussing Qwest HD:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...st#post5968428

post #810 of 11179 Old 09-09-2005, 03:51 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallen234 View Post

Hey guys, that was me who started that thread. I currently live in Vegas (and am a frequest poster on the Local Las Vegas HDTV thread. My girlfriend just moved back to paradise valley and I am following her in a couple of months. NOW, given that she could not get HD Qwest, she went with Directv. Unfortunately, she lives in a condo, where the installer had a hard time getting the dish aligned as the corner of the building blocked the sats. He was able to get Sat A, but could not get Sat B or C. So, the long and short, no HD, which is unfortunate. However, I did not get warm fuzzies from my girlfriends description of his level of effort. Do you guys know a Directv installer that may be more creative to get all three sats?

Thanks

Directv normally sends these people out. A good installer would have used a signal meter to test the signal strength for each sat. I don't know what the installer used at your girl's place, but when I had Directv installed at my apartment last year, the guy used that signal tester and when the sats weren't coming in, the two guys turned the dish until they found each one.

You may want to get Directv to send someone else out to do a reinstall. Let them know that the first job was not done properly. The corner of a building will not stop the lnbs from getting a signal unless the dish is smack dab up against the corner of the building. If that the case, it sounds like the installer did a piss poor job. The 3 lnb dish, if that is what your girl has, is so flexible in terms of installation, that you can pretty much install the thing as you see fit as long as there is a clear view of the southern sky.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page