Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #811 of 11174 Old 09-09-2005, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am not sure what he used, unfortunately, I was not there. I find it weird that he was able to get in Sat A, but couldn't get B or C. He even swapped out the 3lnb dish for a 2lnb when he couldn't get all three sats (for no apparent reason). I guess she should try again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFH View Post

Directv normally sends these people out. A good installer would have used a signal meter to test the signal strength for each sat. I don't know what the installer used at your girl's place, but when I had Directv installed at my apartment last year, the guy used that signal tester and when the sats weren't coming in, the two guys turned the dish until they found each one.

You may want to get Directv to send someone else out to do a reinstall. Let them know that the first job was not doon properly. The corner of a building will not stop the lnbs from getting a signal unless the dish is smack dab up against the corner of the building. If that the case, it sounds like the installer did a piss poor job. The 3 lnb dish, if that is what your girl has, is so flexible in terms of installation, that you can pretty much install the thing as you see fit as long as there is a clear view of the southern sky.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 11174 Old 09-09-2005, 04:01 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallen234 View Post

I am not sure what he used, unfortunately, I was not there. I find it weird that he was able to get in Sat A, but couldn't get B or C. He even swapped out the 3lnb dish for a 2lnb when he couldn't get all three sats (for no apparent reason). I guess she should try again....

Sometimes getting only one sat happens. However, I've only read about that happening to folks who live in the NE US. Some sats are higher than others, but in the southern portions of the US, East and West, getting all three sats should not be a problem.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #813 of 11174 Old 09-09-2005, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 50
nojo,

To piggyback on coyoteaz's comments, he's absolutely correct. The analog channels (2-99) do not compare to their digital counterparts on sat, that is a given (analog vs digital). Your HDTV screen size may make them look worse than on a smaller, analog TV, but only you know how much of them you will be watching. Other than OTA, I believe cable has the better HD signal and even though OTA may be marginally better, the hassles that some people have with getting reliable signals makes cable a no-brainer for me.

That said though, based upon what you said, I don't think you would have any real problem getting OTA signals if you were to put up a decent antenna in the attic or on the roof. I don't know if your house is already wired for cable, but there should be a way to either use existing cable or stick new cable up through the walls to get reliable reception if all you really want/need are local channels.

I'm not sure what your wife's problem is with cable customer service. Have you/she had a bad experience in the past or are you just listening to the bad press? I'll admit that, like coyoteaz said, their CSRs can be brain-dead at times and many of them have no real knowledge of HD. In their defense, all most of them do is fill out your order request and hand you a box. If they don't happen to have HD (and how many can given their pay scale?), they don't tend to know too much about it, especially technical stuff like HDMI, Firewire, digital audio, etc., but you can almost always find one who does with a little persistence and a lot of patience. I personally have never had a problem with a technician sent to the house and I've only had a couple of problems with the service, mostly internet, in the 11 years I've been back in Phoenix. FWIW, I have digital/HD cable plus premiums, internet, and telephone service with Cox.

I also won't say that if you convert from DSL to cable internet service that you won't encounter periods of slow response, you may due to the way cable works compared to DSL. The only way to know is to connect and see what happens, though that requires buying a cable modem, pretty cheap these days. Everything else about cable is no cost to buy since everything is rented (and the DVR is worth every cent. ).

Cheers, Dave
post #814 of 11174 Old 09-09-2005, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Newbie View Post

I live near Carefree Highway and can receive the HD locals with the exception of 61-1 WB with an amplified $50 RCA antenna. Anyone in North Phoenix have any ideas about this ?

I live in Anthem, and 61.1 WB was the most difficult digital channel for me to pick up reliably. Antenna location is the key. I tried about 15 different locations before finding the "sweet" spot. 1 foot up, down, left or right can make a huge difference.
Good Luck!
post #815 of 11174 Old 09-10-2005, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojo View Post

I live at 40th st and Union Hills. Anyone near here get OTA reception?

Qwest told me yesterday that their Choice TV includes HD, but I would want to hear it from several different CSRs before beleiving it.

I'm up in Desert Ridge. North of Deer Valley, West of Tatum. I get 100% OTA no problem.

Thanks,
IOTP
HDTV via DirecTV MPEG4
post #816 of 11174 Old 09-10-2005, 10:57 PM

Flipping through the DirecTV channels, today noticed ESPN2-HD, channel #72.

Cool.

Thanks,
IOTP
HDTV via DirecTV MPEG4
post #817 of 11174 Old 09-11-2005, 10:31 PM

For those who live in Anthem. I have a Zenith silver sensor antenna and I can pick up all the major local channels excpet ABC. I get picture but its fuzzy. Anyone else get ABC perfect with that antenna?
post #818 of 11174 Old 09-12-2005, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iotp View Post

I'm up in Desert Ridge. North of Deer Valley, West of Tatum. I get 100% OTA no problem.

Is the Winguard an indoor antenna? I have a condo without an attic.

Nojo[font=Book Antiqua]
post #819 of 11174 Old 09-12-2005, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

nojo,

To piggyback on coyoteaz's comments, he's absolutely correct. The analog channels (2-99) do not compare to their digital counterparts on sat, that is a given (analog vs digital). Your HDTV screen size may make them look worse than on a smaller, analog TV, but only you know how much of them you will be watching. Other than OTA, I believe cable has the better HD signal and even though OTA may be marginally better, the hassles that some people have with getting reliable signals makes cable a no-brainer for me.

That said though, based upon what you said, I don't think you would have any real problem getting OTA signals if you were to put up a decent antenna in the attic or on the roof. I don't know if your house is already wired for cable, but there should be a way to either use existing cable or stick new cable up through the walls to get reliable reception if all you really want/need are local channels.

I'm not sure what your wife's problem is with cable customer service. Have you/she had a bad experience in the past or are you just listening to the bad press? I'll admit that, like coyoteaz said, their CSRs can be brain-dead at times and many of them have no real knowledge of HD. In their defense, all most of them do is fill out your order request and hand you a box. If they don't happen to have HD (and how many can given their pay scale?), they don't tend to know too much about it, especially technical stuff like HDMI, Firewire, digital audio, etc., but you can almost always find one who does with a little persistence and a lot of patience. I personally have never had a problem with a technician sent to the house and I've only had a couple of problems with the service, mostly internet, in the 11 years I've been back in Phoenix. FWIW, I have digital/HD cable plus premiums, internet, and telephone service with Cox.

I also won't say that if you convert from DSL to cable internet service that you won't encounter periods of slow response, you may due to the way cable works compared to DSL. The only way to know is to connect and see what happens, though that requires buying a cable modem, pretty cheap these days. Everything else about cable is no cost to buy since everything is rented (and the DVR is worth every cent. ).

Thanks Dave. I have definitely seen over the past few days how OTA can be a hassle. Channels fading in and out, etc. I think my next move will be to try Cox internet and see if I can pull the local HD channels out of it since my TV has a built in tuner. I am supposing though that I would then have to string a cable from my computer upstairs (where the cable modem would be) down to my TV using a splitter. Or could they wire it so it came through the existing outlets? I know the place is wired for Cox already.

Nojo[font=Book Antiqua]
post #820 of 11174 Old 09-12-2005, 10:44 AM

nojo,

If it's wired already (they normally split the incoming signal to several locations) you may have an outlet already at the TV location......so use that. Have your installer check it when they install for the cable modem. You might be good to go, with no further cabling.

Good luck,

Rich
post #821 of 11174 Old 09-13-2005, 09:32 PM

Did anyone's signal for MNF last night keep switching from HD to SD? It happened about 6 times last night. Also got these really loud buzzing noises from the DD sound from the game.
post #822 of 11174 Old 09-13-2005, 11:10 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of ABC 15. Constant dropouts of the HD signal is the norm and the sound is remarkably bad in so many different ways - it's too quiet compared to the other stations, sometimes it sounds like they are talking in tin cans, and sometimes you get the godawful popping/buzzing noises such as last night. Gotta love it
post #823 of 11174 Old 09-14-2005, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, and this is now AFTER they and ABC itself have upgraded equipment over the summer. Fortunately for them, FOX-10 also had audio dropouts last night during Bones, though it was gone for House, so they are not alone. Unfortunately, we don't seem to be any better off this year than last. It's obvious DT is not yet ready for primetime and they need to resolve all these issues before the analog is turned off. Of course, maybe if they did turn off the analog, stations would pay more attention to digital/HD and we wouldn't have to put up with shoddy HDTV after so many years.

Cheers, Dave
post #824 of 11174 Old 09-14-2005, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojo View Post

Is the Winguard an indoor antenna? I have a condo without an attic.

Nojo, nope, it's the one that anchors to the attop the tish outside.

Thanks,
IOTP
HDTV via DirecTV MPEG4
post #825 of 11174 Old 09-14-2005, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shink View Post

Welcome to the wonderful world of ABC 15. Constant dropouts of the HD signal is the norm and the sound is remarkably bad in so many different ways - it's too quiet compared to the other stations, sometimes it sounds like they are talking in tin cans, and sometimes you get the godawful popping/buzzing noises such as last night. Gotta love it

I've never had a signal drop from ABC 15. They and NBC seem to be the strongest signals from where I live. I do agree the low audio is a pain in the ass, though. As for the switching from HD to SD, I've never seen that before with ABC. Suckers better get that fixed right quick w/ Lost starts up again.
post #826 of 11174 Old 09-14-2005, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

... Of course, maybe if they did turn off the analog, stations would pay more attention to digital/HD and we wouldn't have to put up with shoddy HDTV after so many years.

That's my position. I'm convinced they won't do a damn thing to solve any problems until after the analog shutdown and then only because their advertisers will be bitching about their commercials being screwed up.
post #827 of 11174 Old 09-14-2005, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones17 View Post

I've never had a signal drop from ABC 15.

I haven't had the "signal" totally die, but their HD feed dies a lot. Sometimes they switch to the SD feed, but sometimes you just get a black screen, although your signal meter will still show excellent. When that happens, 15.2 still works for me, so I know it's just the HD feed.

It was really bad during the Miami/Florida State game.
post #828 of 11174 Old 09-14-2005, 03:22 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shink View Post

I haven't had the "signal" totally die, but their HD feed dies a lot. Sometimes they switch to the SD feed, but sometimes you just get a black screen, although your signal meter will still show excellent. When that happens, 15.2 still works for me, so I know it's just the HD feed.

It was really bad during the Miami/Florida State game.

The Miami v. FSU game was a perfect example.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #829 of 11174 Old 09-14-2005, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytyguy View Post

nojo,

If it's wired already (they normally split the incoming signal to several locations) you may have an outlet already at the TV location......so use that. Have your installer check it when they install for the cable modem. You might be good to go, with no further cabling.

COX has GREAT internet and GREAT phone service.

Outside of that, most, if not all of their cable services are mediocre at best.

"You'll never pry my dish from my dying, dead fingers -- ever!"

Thanks,
IOTP
HDTV via DirecTV MPEG4
post #830 of 11174 Old 09-14-2005, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

1 week until the return of the best show on T.V., LOST! ! !!!

"With the advent of high-definition television, home viewers will see actors with extreme clarity and detail. Thus they will demand the stars of "Sex and the City" change their names to "The Golden Girls." -Conan O'Brien, In The Year 2000: Ted Danson Edition-
post #831 of 11174 Old 09-14-2005, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmaster10.2 View Post

1 week until the return of the best show on T.V., LOST! ! !!!

You mean 1 week till KNXV screws up the HD broadcast of Lost? Can't wait.
post #832 of 11174 Old 09-17-2005, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

...FOX-10 also had audio dropouts last night during Bones, though it was gone for House, so they are not alone. Unfortunately, we don't seem to be any better off this year than last. It's obvious DT is not yet ready for primetime and they need to resolve all these issues before the analog is turned off. Of course, maybe if they did turn off the analog, stations would pay more attention to digital/HD and we wouldn't have to put up with shoddy HDTV after so many years.

Just FTR, the audio dropout problem on KSAZ was fairly quickly traced to a particular exciter. This was a brand new problem with an unlikely cause, and considering that, fixed pretty quickly by a team of techs, one of the best of which was dispatched to S. Mt. immediately. Once they switched to a different exciter, the problem went away, and the last part of "Prison Break" (killer show #1) and all of "House" (killer show #2) were problem free. The exciter was repaired the next day. This problem did not drag on for months, like some audio problems that certain stations seem to not know how to fix, or even identify. Once FOX moves KSAZ's sat receive location to one less susceptible to terrestrial interference (just unavoidable bad luck on that one) much of the remaining minor reception problems regarding FOX HD will be behind all of us.

TV is complex. DT is still pretty new, even at the 8-year mark. Sh*t happens. But generally, the picture (no pun) improves steadily for every station as time goes by. What separates the men from the girls is how good the preventative maintenance and planning is, and how good (and quick) the damage control and repair technique is. Some are exhibiting a pretty good track record, some aren't. Just have faith that most of them are trying.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
post #833 of 11174 Old 09-17-2005, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

TomCat,

Thanks for the info. It's very helpful to know what happened and why, so that we can get a sense that the problem is/was only temporary, unlike the recurring problems you mention elsewhere.

FWIW, I think you inadvertently referred to Prison Break (excellent show) when the show involved was actually the premiere of Bones (jury is still out) followed by House (just as entertaining as last year).

I certainly have to agree that it was indeed a pretty quick fix. The frustrating part is not knowing if someone at the station notices a given problem and starts taking some corrective action. In the old days, I recall stations broadcasting a message indicating they were experiencing technical difficulties and hoped to have them fixed shortly. We don't get that anymore, so we are left to wonder. All to often the problem is not noticed for way too long and by then we've lost 2 or more shows for the evening. Of course, at least I was able to turn on CC and follow the action vs staring at a message, so I guess that is an improvement.

The other frustration right now is that we've gotten pretty used to few problems and few lost shows (analog). A lot of shows today are serial in nature and need to be followed from week to week, like DH. While Bones does not seem to fall into that category, House does to some degree with the different "penalties" House undergoes for not abiding by the rules, etc. However, it still is just TV, so no one is going to jump out the window over a missed episode, though it would certainly be nice if they could be rebroadcast sometime before the next episode. Can anyone say VOD????

Cheers, Dave
post #834 of 11174 Old 09-18-2005, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone else having reception problems with KSAZ-DT the last week or so? I'm not just talking about primetime HD. I've been seeing occasional picture breakups and sound pops on the football games and on locally inserted stuff like syndicated shows and commercials. This is on both Cox 710 and 76-1 (SA3250HD and a QAM tuner).
I have had 100% perfect reception for the last 4 months (except for the known issues with primetime HD shows this week), and nothing has changed with my setup. All other HD channels have been fine, which leads me to either a problem with KSAZ's broadcast or with Cox's reception of it.
post #835 of 11174 Old 09-18-2005, 08:00 PM

It's KSAZ's broadcast. I've switched to analog to watch their sunday night shows tonight
post #836 of 11174 Old 09-18-2005, 08:55 PM

When I hooked up my new Samsung SIR-T451 standalone HDTV tuner to our Cox Internet cable connection this week I found these channel numbers, which are different than posted at the beginning of this thread:
60-1 KSAZ-DT
60-2 KASW-DT
27-1 KNXV-DT
27-2 KPHO-DT
25-1 KPNX-DT
25-2 KAET-DT-1
25-3 KAET-DT-2

I live in Fountain Hills, so was expecting to see the same channel numbers as posted for Phoenix Cox Cable, for a standalone QAM-capable tuner. Maybe Cox changed the channel assignments recently?

Phil
DISH DVR
post #837 of 11174 Old 09-18-2005, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

The entire Fox lineup tonight was unwatchable for me with audio dropouts every few seconds. KSAZ had a good run of 6 months of solid broadcasts, but someone must have spilled their coffee into the transmitter with the number of issues this past week.
post #838 of 11174 Old 09-19-2005, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Well, last night was a new low for almost all the stations:

KNXV totally mangled Pearl Harbor playing rear surround tracks from the battle scenes for the first few segments.

And the WB failed to flip the switch, so TTT was in SD instead of HD.

And what's up with UPN and the phony cropped psuedo-widescreen SD image that they are sendind out on their -1 channel? It looks even worse than the crummy SD image on their -2 channel.
post #839 of 11174 Old 09-19-2005, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratz View Post

When I hooked up my new Samsung SIR-T451 standalone HDTV tuner to our Cox Internet cable connection this week I found these channel numbers, which are different than posted at the beginning of this thread:
60-1 KSAZ-DT
60-2 KASW-DT
27-1 KNXV-DT
27-2 KPHO-DT
25-1 KPNX-DT
25-2 KAET-DT-1
25-3 KAET-DT-2

I live in Fountain Hills, so was expecting to see the same channel numbers as posted for Phoenix Cox Cable, for a standalone QAM-capable tuner. Maybe Cox changed the channel assignments recently?

I'm going to guess that you have the box set for an antenna still. UHF channel 14 is almost the same frequency as cable 64,
post #840 of 11174 Old 09-19-2005, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Don't want to high-jack this thread, but I am going to be in Phoenix this weekend scouting on houses/condos for when I move in the next couple of months. I am in need of a sportsbar close to the airport so I can watch the Chargers/Giants game at 5:30. I would love to find one with high definition TV's (there, this is not off-topic after all!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7oeb View Post

I'm going to guess that you have the box set for an antenna still. UHF channel 14 is almost the same frequency as cable 65,

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page