1  2  3 4  5  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > Phoenix, AZ - HDTV
mkbean's Avatar mkbean 06:41 PM 12-22-2004
Quote:

Originally posted by Soundmaster10.2
Mkbean,

EDTV = 480p

HDTV = 720p/1080i

I suspect that your EDTV does not have a built in digital tuner and thus why you can not get 15-1, 12-1, 10-1, etc.

3.1, 5.1, etc (can be 3-1, 5-1, etc depending on the STB or integrated tuner you are using) refers to the virtual digital channels.

I understand the resolution restrictions of EDTV. However my TV's manual says it will downconvert signals, which I think will make SD channels look better. What else would I need to purchase to get these channels to look better?

By the way the digital channels look outstanding.

mkbean

Dinger23's Avatar Dinger23 07:23 PM 12-22-2004
Quote:

Originally posted by Soundmaster10.2
Dinger, you have a PM.

Carter
No pm I just emailed Dave to get the scoop.
Thanks
Mike D
iotp's Avatar iotp 12:48 AM 12-23-2004
I was searching through the DirecTV HD channels today, and I noticed channels 88/89 FOX feeds from NYC. Now, someone told me since our local FOX-10 affiliate is OWNED by FOX, we can get these in addition to our local 10.1.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
digital0ne's Avatar digital0ne 01:02 AM 12-23-2004
If I remembet correctly, Directv subscribers in Phoenix should get the FOX feeds on 88 or 89, but not both channels......I think we would get the West cost feed.

Dave/Carter, please correct me if I am wrong.....

Brian
CPanther95's Avatar CPanther95 06:58 AM 12-23-2004
Quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDAZ
There will always be a Phoenix presence here and we will see how this thread works out. I have been in discussions with CPanther and I now see how this could work. Over the next couple of weeks, I will be designing a few threads along the lines he and I discussed and we will see what happens. I have come to the conclusion that even with the Society, there has been a gap that wasn't being filled. That will change as soon as I get some time.

There should be no ill will towards AVS, they are only trying to help answer HDTV questions and any discussions about another site should go off line. Anyone who wants to know what is going on with our Society can feel free to email me (ddetert@cox.net) or PM me and I will be happy to let you know the latest.

Anyone interested in what the Society is up to, please make note of this email address.

Also keep in mind that while the intent is for these local threads to be permanent, if we setup a local "mod" - we'll have to have new threads started by his user name so he'll be in control of the info on the first post(s). If you subscribe to this thread and it disappears, check the THREAD INDEX sticky and you'll find the new Phoenix threads under DMA #15 or obviously under "Arizona".
mkbean's Avatar mkbean 08:01 AM 12-23-2004
Quote:
Subscribe to cable and get their HD tuner.

Thanks Dave,

I currently have the COX digital plan. Do you know if COX is offering an HD plan with their DVR? If so or possibly when they do so will that work for me?

Thanks

Brian
digital0ne's Avatar digital0ne 08:20 AM 12-23-2004
mkbean,

Yes, COX does offer HD service with their SA8300HD DVR. I currently subscribe to it and love it. We get the following local channels in HD with COX:

5, 8, 8.2 , 10, 12, 15, 61

They also offer ESPN-HD, Universal HD, Discovery HD Theatre($5 a month extra), In-Demand HD 1&2 (Variety of programming including sports, movies, concerts), plus if you already subscribe to Showtime, HBO or Starz, then you get their HD channels as well.

Brian S.
iotp's Avatar iotp 10:28 AM 12-23-2004
So I called DTV about the channels 88/89. Welp, great news, although I really wanted the EAST feed because of the time change, DTV turned on the LA feed of FOX 11.

Its pretty good pic. Perhaps we'll get some alternative programming when football is on or something.

We'll see.

Regards,
Jim
mkbean's Avatar mkbean 12:11 PM 12-23-2004
Thanks DigitalOne,

I traded in my 8000 for an 8300HD\\DVR and I love how the HD channels look on my EDTV!!!!

Couple questions though:

The standard channels now have a grey bar around both sides that is about 4 inches in width each. Is there any way to get rid of that? It was not there before.

It looks like there is only one HBO in HD, what about the rest of the HBO package?

So you are saying there is another HD package I could get?

Now that I have the 8300 should I get rid of my 15-1880 antenna? It didn't work before and it doesn't look like it does anything now either.

Thanks all for the help you provide.

mkbean
digital0ne's Avatar digital0ne 12:27 PM 12-23-2004
mkbean,

To get the 8300HD setup for the resolutions your tv supports, turn off the 8300HD, then press and hold the Guide and Info buttons for approx 5 seconds. The system should come up to the setup screen that will walk you through which resolutions you want the 8300HD to use. The gray bars are most likely their because the program you are watching at that time is not being shown in the 16:9 aspect ratio, but the 4:3 aspect ratio. There should be a button on the 8330HD remote, I can't remember what it is called(zoom maybe?), that will allow you to stretch normal 4:3 programming to fill the screen.

As for HBO, they have 2 HD channels, one east cost and one west cost, but we only get the west coast. The same goes for Showtime and Starz. With Cox HD, you get all the locals, ESPN-HD, and INHD1/2 at no cost. The only option currently is Discovery HD Theatre for $5 per month.

And yes, you can most likely get rid of the antenna.....

Digital0ne
mkbean's Avatar mkbean 12:29 PM 12-23-2004
Thanks I have been on hold with them for about 10 mins. After reading your comments I feel that I can fix it.

mkbean
mkbean's Avatar mkbean 01:33 PM 12-23-2004
WOW!!!!!!

I love HD channels!!!! Heck I love my EDTV viewing HD channels. Thanks to everyone in this forum for helping out. I know there have been some off topic conversations going on and all I have to say is PLEASE keep a place like this open for newbies like me.

Thanks again to all that helped.

mkbean
digital0ne's Avatar digital0ne 02:39 PM 12-23-2004
Quote:
Originally posted by mkbean
WOW!!!!!!

I love HD channels!!!! Heck I love my EDTV viewing HD channels. Thanks to everyone in this forum for helping out.

So I take it you were able to resolve your viewing issues?

HD is great....

Digital0ne
mkbean's Avatar mkbean 04:42 PM 12-23-2004
Yes I was. The standard channels are viewed in 480P and the HD ones are viewed in 1080i.

I'm using the component connections on tv and dvr, would an HDMI -> DVI connection make any difference?

mkbean
mkbean's Avatar mkbean 12:21 PM 12-25-2004
Hey Dave,

What would be the correct order to do all of this stuff?

Thanks again

mkbean
Vogon Poet's Avatar Vogon Poet 04:58 PM 01-03-2005
Questions (perhaps stupid ones)

Do the HD STBs from cox replace the digital cable STB or do you have both hooked up?

Can a sd crt tv be hooked up to the box for viewing regular channels, while our projector wouold be hooked up for HDTV? If so, can the dvr that Cox offers be used for both HD and SD recording?
Vogon Poet's Avatar Vogon Poet 05:38 PM 01-03-2005
Thanks.

That helped a lot.
AFH's Avatar AFH 05:40 PM 01-03-2005
Quote:

Originally posted by Vogon Poet
Do the HD STBs from cox replace the digital cable STB or do you have both hooked up?

Yes, the hd stbs replace the digital cable stb and you do not need two of them.

Quote:

Can a sd crt tv be hooked up to the box for viewing regular channels, while our projector wouold be hooked up for HDTV?

I'm not sure on this one but check with Cox to make sure. I believe that you can connect a s-video cable from the hd stb to the sd crt and watch standard channels. I also believe that at the same time you can run a component cable from the hd stb to the projector. However, in order to watch one format or the other, you'll have to go into the stb menu and change the resolution setting to 480i for the sd crt and 480p/720p/1080i for the projector. That means that you couldn't have the a program on the sd crt and the projector at the same time b/c of the resolution issue.

Quote:

If so, can the dvr that Cox offers be used for both HD and SD recording?

Yes the dvr can record sd and hd. As stated above in the previous statement, the resolution issue may stop you from watching the stb on the sd crt and the projector at the same time.
jamokebob's Avatar jamokebob 05:42 PM 01-03-2005
I'll be receiving my new Sony KDF-55XS955 projection TV soon. Does anyone have experience with both the Cox HD box and the Cablecard? I do understand that with the CableCard I lose pay per view and the Cox channel guide. Oh well.

I've heard in other markets that the CableCard gives you a much better picture since the TV handles all the conversions, not the box. I also heard that it is hit and miss to get a perfect CableCard the first time. Anyone with actual Cox Cablecard experience in the valley?
Pariah69's Avatar Pariah69 09:55 AM 01-04-2005
Hello all

I am remotely coordinating my parents' move into the world of HDTV

Their new Sony 34XBR910 is to be delivered this week, and I am trying to arrange Cox to come and install HD service... I want to know what to expect. They receive "standard" digital cable now.

From what I can gather, the Cox HD upgrade will install the SA8000-HD box, for an additional $5/month over their existing box (no Discovery HD). I believe I can get the "professional install" charge down to $5 using a website code. Are there other options available, e.g. HD DVRs, or alternate boxes with DVI inputs? If so, what are the costs involved? (I defy anyone to determine what Cox is charging from the information on their website )

Also, will Cox handle the existing connections & I/O on the TV, like the DVD, and stereo outputs? This is a 200 lb TV that is being installed into a recess in the wall that's "just big enough". I don't want to force my parents to have to access the back of the TV for anything... look out below!

I appreciate any feedback from anyone familiar with Cox's service!
mkbean's Avatar mkbean 10:51 AM 01-04-2005
I would recommend getting their HD DVR (8300) which is the exact same price as the standard digital tv DVR (8000).

If you are savy enough there really should be no need to have cox come out there and turn it on. All you will need to know is where to plug things in.

mkbean
Pariah69's Avatar Pariah69 11:16 AM 01-04-2005
Quote:

Originally posted by mkbean
I would recommend getting their HD DVR (8300) which is the exact same price as the standard digital tv DVR (8000).

If you are savy enough there really should be no need to have cox come out there and turn it on. All you will need to know is where to plug things in.

mkbean

Thanks for the response, mkbean. The only reason for a Cox install is since I believe it's free with a website code... Like most parents, mine are not the most savvy HD installers , so it may come in handy. Don't they need to activate the new services on the box, in any case?

What box do they install for HD service without DVR? What is the monthly price difference with and without?
jamokebob's Avatar jamokebob 01:11 PM 01-04-2005
Quote:

Originally posted by jamokebob
I'll be receiving my new Sony KDF-55XS955 projection TV soon. Does anyone have experience with both the Cox HD box and the Cablecard? I do understand that with the CableCard I lose pay per view and the Cox channel guide. Oh well.

I've heard in other markets that the CableCard gives you a much better picture since the TV handles all the conversions, not the box. I also heard that it is hit and miss to get a perfect CableCard the first time. Anyone with actual Cox Cablecard experience in the valley?

I'll assume nobody has experience with the above and I'm on my own!
mkbean's Avatar mkbean 01:56 PM 01-04-2005
Sorry not me, heck i've never even heard about it.
Pariah69's Avatar Pariah69 02:23 PM 01-04-2005
Quote:

I'll assume nobody has experience with the above and I'm on my own!

I inquired about CableCard with Cox and they gave me the usual "I wouldn't recommend it" spiel. Which tells you that it's probably a good thing. But they said you couldn't do PPV or get the On-Screen Guide... and also said it doesn't work with all TVs. But it's $2 monthly vs $10 for the HD STB... I can live without the STB for that price. I think most TVs these days are compatible with "TV Guide On Screen", which would substitute for the Cableco's on-screen info. Can anyone confirm this?

I haven't seen CableCard in action though, so I can't confirm better picture quality. But by all accounts, most ATSC tuners in HDTVs are superior to STBs, and there's fewer analog-to-digital conversions for the signal to go through.
jamokebob's Avatar jamokebob 04:43 PM 01-04-2005
Thanks for your input. I also called COX and received the same spiel. Actually, COX is raising their box rental rate in February so it may be even a better deal. I also like to know if any one is using the TV Guide on screen with COX Cable.

The card may be too new to the Phoenix Cox market so I may become the trailblazer. OH NO!!!
Carlos_Salcedo's Avatar Carlos_Salcedo 04:56 PM 01-04-2005
Quote:

I also like to know if any one is using the TV Guide on screen with COX Cable.

I use it every day when I set up my HD-DVR for archiving. It works great to change the channel in case I have forgotten.
Vogon Poet's Avatar Vogon Poet 07:21 PM 01-04-2005
Quote:

The generally install the SA3250HD without DVR, it is $10/mo. The SA8300HD with DVR is $15 plus $5 for the recording service, $20 total. Do not let thme give you an SA3100HD if you go without DVR and do not let them give you an SA8000HD if you go with DVR. You want either the 3250 or 8300.

Just curious, what are the pros and cons that make you recommend those models over the others?

If I pull the trigger, I will probably go down to one of Cox's counter locations to turn in the digital STB and pick up the HD, so maybe I can make sure I get the one you suggest.
Pariah69's Avatar Pariah69 07:55 PM 01-04-2005
Quote:

The generally install the SA3250HD without DVR, it is $10/mo. The SA8300HD with DVR is $15 plus $5 for the recording service, $20 total. Do not let thme give you an SA3100HD if you go without DVR and do not let them give you an SA8000HD if you go with DVR. You want either the 3250 or 8300.

Thanks DoubleDAZ... according to this spec sheet:
http://www.sciatl.com/customers/Source/4005304.pdf

the 3250HD has "optional" DVI and Firewire outputs. Does Cox support either of these, or do they go the usual YPbPr route? Since the HDTV monitor does not support CableCard, I would prefer the DVI connection over the YPbPr, if Cox provides it.
Carlos_Salcedo's Avatar Carlos_Salcedo 07:56 PM 01-04-2005
Quote:

Just curious, what are the pros and cons that make you recommend those models over the others?

The big main difference between the 3250HD and the 8300HD is this...if you want to archive but not timeshift, then get the 3250HD...if you want to timeshift but not archive for extended period of time then get the 8300HD...

With 1394 on the 3250HD you can archive but not timeshift. With no 1394 on the 8300HD you cannot archive beyond what the built-in hard drive will hold.
1  2  3 4  5  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop