Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #11131 of 11174 Old 05-28-2014, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 50

Well, this thread sure stopped dead in it's tracks without the war of words. :)

I'm still waiting for further clarification from those who are supposedly able to record/copy cable channels in HD via Clear QAM even though the rest of us (who have commented) can't receive those same channels in HD using the Clear QAM tuners on our TVs. This leads me to believe such reports are not accurate, except for WGN, and the recordings are really just SD like ours.

Cheers, Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11132 of 11174 Old 05-28-2014, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My experience has been the same as yours, Dave, that the only things available on QAM in HD are local channels and WGN. (I suspect/hope that the word-warrior has gone back to his main hobby, which is antagonizing people on the Cox support forum.)

Paul
post #11133 of 11174 Old 05-28-2014, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Paul, I don't know how much TV you watch, but we watch/record a lot and the 6 tuners has definitely been worth the upgrade. To be honest, I think I would have been satisfied with my old DVR if it simply would have had the 6 tuners, software not withstanding. While many people tend to bash any cable hardware/software, the 8300 served me well for over 10 years and there's something to be said for that. I think you'll be plenty happy if you upgrade to Contour in the fall. Just do it before the new season starts or you'll have even more stuff to catch up on before you can upgrade. :)

Anyway, I've already got 78 season passes set with more to come. I've been able to record anything else I've wanted to so far without encountering any conflicts where I've had to find alternate air dates. I was doing that 3-4 nights per week with the 2-tuner model I had. I'm now also able to record a lot more shows to make my own schedule of nature, news, how-to, etc., for background noise during the day. I actually find myself watching more and have become a huge fan of Bobby Flay's Brunch show on The Cooking Channel. :)

I still forget that I can stop watching in the family room and move to the bedroom with the Mini, but that will become a habit soon enough. And because we no longer have to deal with conflicts, I've been able to watch/record more movies from TCM and EPIX. Before, I had to take the time to find alternate air dates and often they were a week or more away and I lost interest before they recorded. The psychology is a little different for me simply by having those 6 tuners. And you'll love the 2 weeks of data.

By themselves, each new feature is pretty small, but add them all together and the whole experience is so much better and gives you that much more control. And, like so many things where you buy package upgrades, you find uses for all the new stuff that you wouldn't have bought individually or didn't think you "needed". For example, I don't have heated seats or individual climate control in my car, but when I'm riding in one that does, I use them. I'm having some trouble deciding what features I'm willing to pay for when I get our new Prius next spring. My guess is the package prices and what they include is going to make those decisions moot. Like the Paks offered by Cox, I'm sure a Prius package is going to have at least one must-have feature and I'll end up with a bunch I don't want. The performance package includes special wheels, but I'd rather buy more unique after-market wheels. It will cost more to order specific parts though, so I'll end up with the package and live with the wheels. :)

Cheers, Dave
post #11134 of 11174 Old 05-28-2014, 12:06 PM

To be clear, I have Contour, just the 2 tuner version. I guess that we don't watch TV as much as you do because we have a huge backlog as it is. The switch to Contour emboldened me to record more stuff given the larger hard drive and we have as many as 10 episodes of some shows. They are arguably things that I wouldn't have recorded on the 8240HDC given the smaller capacity. Anyway, the 6 tuners would be nice occasionally but not that often. One situation that I can think of is the late night talk shows. I like to record NEW airings of Letterman, Jimmy Fallon, Seth Meyers, etc. and save the last N shows, then watch what looks interesting based on guests, my mood, whatever. Sometimes something else is on in those timeslots and Fallon loses out (the Contour software does priority well). I would like to add Jimmy Kimmel to the list so 6 tuners would help. I also find myself watching the Diamondbacks when suddenly two simultaneous recordings want to start and somebody has to lose. So I will switch to the 6 tuners when the time is right but I don't think it will change my life.

One thing that bugs me about the "whole home" deal is that switching rooms is not what it would seem. I can indeed stop watching a recorded event in one room and go to another and resume it. What I would really like to do is have a mode where I can have something on in more than one room and be able to pause, FF, etc. on all at once. For example, we record the network news and then watch it while dinner is being prepared. I'd like to have it on in both the living room and the kitchen and be able to move between rooms with the show in synch, and when I FF through the commercials in the living room the same happens in the kitchen. This mode would be on the client boxes and it would be "show me what is being viewed on the server box". It wouldn't seem to be all that complex to set up. Does the Tivo/mini setup allow for that sort of thing?

Paul
post #11135 of 11174 Old 05-28-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post

My experience has been the same as yours, Dave, that the only things available on QAM in HD are local channels and WGN. (I suspect/hope that the word-warrior has gone back to his main hobby, which is antagonizing people on the Cox support forum.)

No chance. I'm still here. And I see some folks still confuse QAM transmissions (all digital cable transmissions) with ClearQAM (unencrypted QAM.)
post #11136 of 11174 Old 05-28-2014, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To be clear, I have Contour, just the 2 tuner version. I guess that we don't watch TV as much as you do because we have a huge backlog as it is. The switch to Contour emboldened me to record more stuff given the larger hard drive and we have as many as 10 episodes of some shows. They are arguably things that I wouldn't have recorded on the 8240HDC given the smaller capacity. Anyway, the 6 tuners would be nice occasionally but not that often. One situation that I can think of is the late night talk shows. I like to record NEW airings of Letterman, Jimmy Fallon, Seth Meyers, etc. and save the last N shows, then watch what looks interesting based on guests, my mood, whatever. Sometimes something else is on in those timeslots and Fallon loses out (the Contour software does priority well). I would like to add Jimmy Kimmel to the list so 6 tuners would help. I also find myself watching the Diamondbacks when suddenly two simultaneous recordings want to start and somebody has to lose. So I will switch to the 6 tuners when the time is right but I don't think it will change my life.

One thing that bugs me about the "whole home" deal is that switching rooms is not what it would seem. I can indeed stop watching a recorded event in one room and go to another and resume it. What I would really like to do is have a mode where I can have something on in more than one room and be able to pause, FF, etc. on all at once. For example, we record the network news and then watch it while dinner is being prepared. I'd like to have it on in both the living room and the kitchen and be able to move between rooms with the show in synch, and when I FF through the commercials in the living room the same happens in the kitchen. This mode would be on the client boxes and it would be "show me what is being viewed on the server box". It wouldn't seem to be all that complex to set up. Does the Tivo/mini setup allow for that sort of thing?

Sorry, I see now I missed that you would only be upgrading the number of tuners, too bad tuners aren't plug and play. :)  Change my life? No, but make things a lot easier? Absolutely. When cable network seasons were mostly during the summer, there wasn't as much conflict with broadcast network seasons as there is now. Even without cable competing directly with broadcast, I still have several nights where sometimes I'd like to record a show on all 5 networks (ABC, CBS, CW, FOX and NBC). Supernatural and Law &Order lost out 2-3 seasons ago and remembering to watch On Demand was just not a priority. Next year I'll be able to let my wife record things like The Voice and American Idol. I offered to let her watch those and I'd go in the bedroom to watch something else, but she wanted to watch "my" shows more than "hers", so hers lost out.

As for your vision of whole house, AFAIK the TiVo cannot do what you're asking either. I can see why you'd want such watch-what's-on-main-receiver capability, I'd want it too if I had a TV in the kitchen which shares open space with the family room. It would be really distracting to have both TVs out of sync. I don't know about Contour, but Live TV between the Roamio and the Mini are out of sync by a second or less (too hard to measure by ear :)). I suspect if I connected an antenna in the bedroom, I'd see/hear the antenna broadcast first, then the Roamio, followed by the Mini. I'm not even sure if you ran a cable to the kitchen TV so it displayed what was on the main TV that there wouldn't be a slight sync issue without some kind of synchronizer in the mix. I did once have a set up in Colorado Springs with multiple splitters and A-B-C switches running off a single cable receiver to the living room and 3 bedrooms (long story, but it worked quite well). Unfortunately, I don't remember if there were any sync issues because I don't know that we thought to listen to all sets on the same channels at the same time. Or if we did, it wasn't anything that caused problems because the TVs were in different rooms.

Cheers, Dave
post #11137 of 11174 Old 05-28-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Quote:

No chance. I'm still here. And I see some folks still confuse QAM transmissions (all digital cable transmissions) with ClearQAM (unencrypted QAM.)

They are not confused about QAM, QAM modulators have no encryption to them at all, when I order my QAM modulators my salesman wants to know one of two things either I want ASI or IP (Edge-QAM)inputs. It is upto the provider (cable/Satellite,etc) to provide an encryption(Veramatrix, Cisco, S/A) to the channels in question that are in a certain tiers so that their providers (Fox,ESPN,Turner) know that when they report subscribers every month it is good faith and trusted. Yes 64/256-QAM is digital and there are tuners that receive them including customers TV's. If they payload is visible (MPEG content) then it will know what to do via playing audio/video, if it can not than nothing happens unless one has a Cable-Card, Set-Top,etc.

So to repeat it again there is only QAM Transmission, the so called Clear QAM has no encryption applied to the MPEG content, that is where the confusion lies. MPEG yes encryption, QAM no.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #11138 of 11174 Old 05-28-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

Sorry, I see now I missed that you would only be upgrading the number of tuners, too bad tuners aren't plug and play. smile.gif  Change my life? No, but make things a lot easier? Absolutely. When cable network seasons were mostly during the summer, there wasn't as much conflict with broadcast network seasons as there is now. Even without cable competing directly with broadcast, I still have several nights where sometimes I'd like to record a show on all 5 networks (ABC, CBS, CW, FOX and NBC). Supernatural and Law &Order lost out 2-3 seasons ago and remembering to watch On Demand was just not a priority. Next year I'll be able to let my wife record things like The Voice and American Idol. I offered to let her watch those and I'd go in the bedroom to watch something else, but she wanted to watch "my" shows more than "hers", so hers lost out.

As for your vision of whole house, AFAIK the TiVo cannot do what you're asking either. I can see why you'd want such watch-what's-on-main-receiver capability, I'd want it too if I had a TV in the kitchen which shares open space with the family room. It would be really distracting to have both TVs out of sync. I don't know about Contour, but Live TV between the Roamio and the Mini are out of sync by a second or less (too hard to measure by ear smile.gif). I suspect if I connected an antenna in the bedroom, I'd see/hear the antenna broadcast first, then the Roamio, followed by the Mini. I'm not even sure if you ran a cable to the kitchen TV so it displayed what was on the main TV that there wouldn't be a slight sync issue without some kind of synchronizer in the mix. I did once have a set up in Colorado Springs with multiple splitters and A-B-C switches running off a single cable receiver to the living room and 3 bedrooms (long story, but it worked quite well). Unfortunately, I don't remember if there were any sync issues because I don't know that we thought to listen to all sets on the same channels at the same time. Or if we did, it wasn't anything that caused problems because the TVs were in different rooms.

I'm not concerned about a second or two of sync issues, just the completely out of sync thing that would happen if I managed start a recorded show in two locations at the same time but then fast-forwarded through 2 minutes of commercials on one but not the other.

Paul
post #11139 of 11174 Old 05-28-2014, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Sorry, I see now I missed that you would only be upgrading the number of tuners, too bad tuners aren't plug and play. smile.gif  Change my life? No, but make things a lot easier? Absolutely. When cable network seasons were mostly during the summer, there wasn't as much conflict with broadcast network seasons as there is now. Even without cable competing directly with broadcast, I still have several nights where sometimes I'd like to record a show on all 5 networks (ABC, CBS, CW, FOX and NBC). Supernatural and Law &Order lost out 2-3 seasons ago and remembering to watch On Demand was just not a priority. Next year I'll be able to let my wife record things like The Voice and American Idol. I offered to let her watch those and I'd go in the bedroom to watch something else, but she wanted to watch "my" shows more than "hers", so hers lost out.

As for your vision of whole house, AFAIK the TiVo cannot do what you're asking either. I can see why you'd want such watch-what's-on-main-receiver capability, I'd want it too if I had a TV in the kitchen which shares open space with the family room. It would be really distracting to have both TVs out of sync. I don't know about Contour, but Live TV between the Roamio and the Mini are out of sync by a second or less (too hard to measure by ear smile.gif). I suspect if I connected an antenna in the bedroom, I'd see/hear the antenna broadcast first, then the Roamio, followed by the Mini. I'm not even sure if you ran a cable to the kitchen TV so it displayed what was on the main TV that there wouldn't be a slight sync issue without some kind of synchronizer in the mix. I did once have a set up in Colorado Springs with multiple splitters and A-B-C switches running off a single cable receiver to the living room and 3 bedrooms (long story, but it worked quite well). Unfortunately, I don't remember if there were any sync issues because I don't know that we thought to listen to all sets on the same channels at the same time. Or if we did, it wasn't anything that caused problems because the TVs were in different rooms.

I do know that there is about a 10 second delay between OTA and cable/satellite reception of non-cable only channels. Of course the delay is the same when a tv station is rebroadcast OTA and the rebroadcasting station is getting it's feed OTA.
For example MeTv Fresno 43.6 is rebroadcast on 13.1 to extend its range further north. 13.1 gets its signal OTA from 43.6 and has about a 10 second delay. Funny thing is MeTv Sacramento 3.2 is in perfect sync with 13.1

A whole home DVR feeding all boxes from the main should be in sync (if the technology was out).

Josh
post #11140 of 11174 Old 05-28-2014, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not concerned about a second or two of sync issues, just the completely out of sync thing that would happen if I managed start a recorded show in two locations at the same time but then fast-forwarded through 2 minutes of commercials on one but not the other.

Theoretically, I guess that might be possible with TiVo because I believe both devices can use RF. I don't now signal distances, etc., but I guess you could set things up for a single remote to control both devices. I would imagine you could do this in a number of ways with any set of devices using various RF/IR extenders and controllers on the market if you wanted to bad enough.

Cheers, Dave
post #11141 of 11174 Old 05-28-2014, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

They are not confused about QAM, QAM modulators have no encryption to them at all, when I order my QAM modulators my salesman wants to know one of two things either I want ASI or IP (Edge-QAM)inputs. It is upto the provider (cable/Satellite,etc) to provide an encryption(Veramatrix, Cisco, S/A) to the channels in question that are in a certain tiers so that their providers (Fox,ESPN,Turner) know that when they report subscribers every month it is good faith and trusted. Yes 64/256-QAM is digital and there are tuners that receive them including customers TV's. If they payload is visible (MPEG content) then it will know what to do via playing audio/video, if it can not than nothing happens unless one has a Cable-Card, Set-Top,etc.

So to repeat it again there is only QAM Transmission, the so called Clear QAM has no encryption applied to the MPEG content, that is where the confusion lies. MPEG yes encryption, QAM no.

You're absolutely right and it just goes to show that even the Word Police aren't always 100% accurate themselves. While I understand the need to be as accurate as possible, especially in the more technical threads on AVS, the danger with being hyper about correcting "minor" inaccuracies or the use what I call "generic terms" is that there is almost always someone behind you that knows more about the technology than you do. :)

Unfortunately, the main point remains. We still don't know if (or how) JM is actually receiving/recording/copying streams in HD with his HVR-1950 receiver in spite of encryption, copy flags, etc. Any thoughts on that?

Also, my ClearQAM-capable TV (for lack of a better term) reports it picks up 62 analog and over 260 digital channels during the scan. For CBS, it reports Ch A5 as analog and Ch D5.1 as digital. My TiVo shows both Ch 5 and Ch 1005 as QAM256, but with different frequencies and screen resolutions. Do you know which channels the TV is picking up during the scan? I've been told there is 3rd NTSC analog signal sent. The TV picks that up as analog Ch A5 and picks up the Ch 1005 digital signal as Ch D5.1. The digital Ch 5 is for non-HD receivers?

Cheers, Dave
post #11142 of 11174 Old 05-28-2014, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

Quote:

Quote:

I didn't specify where the encryption took place, only that ClearQAM differs from other digital cable QAM channels only from lack of encryption.
post #11143 of 11174 Old 05-29-2014, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

I didn't specify where the encryption took place, only that ClearQAM differs from other digital cable QAM channels only from lack of encryption.

You guys are saying the same thing, just in two different ways. Can we move on?

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #11144 of 11174 Old 05-29-2014, 09:50 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

snip...
Also, my ClearQAM-capable TV (for lack of a better term) reports it picks up 62 analog and over 260 digital channels during the scan. For CBS, it reports Ch A5 as analog and Ch D5.1 as digital. My TiVo shows both Ch 5 and Ch 1005 as QAM256, but with different frequencies and screen resolutions. Do you know which channels the TV is picking up during the scan? I've been told there is 3rd NTSC analog signal sent. The TV picks that up as analog Ch A5 and picks up the Ch 1005 digital signal as Ch D5.1. The digital Ch 5 is for non-HD receivers?
Dave

Yes, there are three versions of a broadcast signal on COX here in Phoenix. The analog channel is for people with TV's who do not want to rent a cable box. People who will rent a basic box get a digital SD (standard definition) version of the program that is down-converted from the HD version and then side cut to fit a 4x3 screen. Then there is the HD digital version. Both digital versions are sent out in QAM-256 format and share the physical channel with other HD and/or SD programs.

Happy Trails,

Bob

We are experiencing some Technical Difficulties.
Please standby while we reboot our TV station...
post #11145 of 11174 Old 05-29-2014, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobchase View Post

Dave

Yes, there are three versions of a broadcast signal on COX here in Phoenix. The analog channel is for people with TV's who do not want to rent a cable box. People who will rent a basic box get a digital SD (standard definition) version of the program that is down-converted from the HD version and then side cut to fit a 4x3 screen. Then there is the HD digital version. Both digital versions are sent out in QAM-256 format and share the physical channel with other HD and/or SD programs.

Happy Trails,

Bob

Bob, which of the three types of channels you describe above is considered "ClearQAM?"

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #11146 of 11174 Old 05-29-2014, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Bob, for confirming what I've been previously told.

Cheers, Dave
post #11147 of 11174 Old 06-02-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post

Bob, which of the three types of channels you describe above is considered "ClearQAM?"
Scott,

The HD version is sent in the clear while the SD version is encrypted. Cox is even nice enough to put the OTA channel number in the PSIP data for you. For instance, our channel shows up as 33-1 on a HD TV that is on cable without a cable box and this data allows you to direct tune to it on your remote using the number and hyphen keys. Our HD channel is not carried on channel 33 in the Cox cable system but the data they sent 'spoofs' the TV into thinking it actually is and allows you to tune to it. This is actually very nice of them and they are not required to do this. Over in Houston, ComCast makes it very hard for a consumer to locate their favorite channels, even though they send out all of the basic cable channels un-encrypted (in the clear).

Bob

We are experiencing some Technical Difficulties.
Please standby while we reboot our TV station...
post #11148 of 11174 Old 06-02-2014, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Actually the SD version of the Phoenix locals are not encrypted by Cox....but they also are not mapped to the "channels" either.

For reference:
4.1 KASW
4.2 KPHO
4.3 KSAZ
4.4 KAET
4.5 KPNX
4.6 KNXV
4.7 KTVK
4.8 KUTP
4.9 KPPX
4.10 KTVW
80.1 KEJR
80.4 KPAZ
80.7 KAZT
110.4 KTAZ
post #11149 of 11174 Old 06-17-2014, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
These LPTV's are showing as not having a renewal filed as of 6/02/2014.
KCOS-LP ARACELIS ORTIZ CORPORATION, Phoenix, AZ
K02MT ARIZONA WEST MEDIA, LLC, Parker, AZ
K11OB BOUSE BOOSTER CLUB, INC., Bouse, AZ
KCAB-LP CENTRAL ARIZONA BROADCASTING, Casa Grande, AZ
K32FK CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING COMMUNICATIONS, Shiprock, Chinle, AZ
KDTP-LP COMMUNITY TELEVISION EDUCATORS, INC., Phoenix, AZ
K38CX DIGITAL NETWORKS-SOUTHWEST, LLC, Shonto, AZ
K33CG FLORINDA MAE BALFOUR, CONSERVATOR FOR RICHARD RICHARDS, Sierra Vista, AZ
K17CM GOSPEL LIGHT BROADCASTING, INC., Duncan, AZ
K35FH JERRY MARTH, Flagstaff, AZ
K20HS MARCIA T. TURNER D/B/A TURNER ENTERPRISES, Flagstaff, AZ
K02FV SOUTHERN GREENLEE COUNTY TV ASSOCIATION, INC., York, AZ
K07IR SOUTHERN GREENLEE COUNTY TV ASSOCIATION, INC., York, AZ
K11JJ SOUTHERN GREENLEE COUNTY TV ASSOCIATION, INC., York, AZ
K33DA SOUTHERN GREENLEE COUNTY TV ASSOCIATION, INC., Duncan, AZ
K35CP SOUTHERN GREENLEE COUNTY TV ASSOCIATION, INC., Duncan, AZ
K39CM SOUTHERN GREENLEE COUNTY TV ASSOCIATION, INC., Duncan, AZ
K41CV SOUTHERN GREENLEE COUNTY TV ASSOCIATION, INC., Duncan, AZ
K43CN SOUTHERN GREENLEE COUNTY TV ASSOCIATION, INC., Duncan, AZ
K47DA SOUTHERN GREENLEE COUNTY TV ASSOCIATION, INC., Duncan, AZ
K49CH SOUTHERN GREENLEE COUNTY TV ASSOCIATION, INC., Duncan, AZ
K51DG SOUTHERN GREENLEE COUNTY TV ASSOCIATION, INC., Duncan, AZ
K21GE THE CAMP VERDE TV CLUB, Camp Verde, NV
K23FZ THE CAMP VERDE TV CLUB, Camp Verde, NV
K25MK-D THE CAMP VERDE TV CLUB, Camp Verde, NV
K31LZ THE CAMP VERDE TV CLUB, Camp Verde, NV
K46IL THE CAMP VERDE TV CLUB, Verde Valley, AZ
K47IK THE CAMP VERDE TV CLUB, Verde Valley, AZ
K49HP THE CAMP VERDE TV CLUB, Verde Valley, AZ
K19FD THE CAMP VERDE TV CLUB, INC, Verde Valley, AZ
K40AP THE NAVAJO NATION, Tsaile, AZ
K44BB THE NAVAJO NATION, Window Rock, AZ
K51AV THE NAVAJO NATION, Chinle, AZ
K45LU-D THE NAVAJO NATION, Window Rock, AZ
K49BX WELLTON-MOHAWK IRRIGATION & DRAINAGE DISTRICT, Wellton, AZ
K15DX WESTERN KANE COUNTY SPECIAL SERVICE DISTRICT #1 , Fredonia, AZ

Last edited by LATV; 06-18-2014 at 03:38 AM. Reason: KUDF removed from the list (they actually filed early and I missed the filing)
post #11150 of 11174 Old 06-18-2014, 01:48 AM

Liked: 11
KUDF-LD timely filed its renewal application for 2014.

6/19 - This just in: K38CX filed for renewal. I was sure that station was a goner after speaking to the people in whose back yard the satellite dish and antenna are located. The husband was so anxious to get rid of that dish so that he could expand his garage. I'm shocked that Luken is keeping that license alive.

Last edited by dhett; 06-19-2014 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Added comments about K38CX
post #11151 of 11174 Old 06-18-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
I don't planned on posting any kind of detailed review of the TiVo Roamio Pro/Mini, but I thought I'd offer some observations for those of you who may be interested in what I think now that I've taken the plunge. My comments are not intended to start any kind of comparison war between TiVo, Contour or any other DVR. It's just offered as information for those looking to upgrade to any newer DVR and wondering if it's worth it, etc.
Dave,

Its been over a month since you started using TiVo. How stable have everything been? Any needed reboots of the TiVo or tuning adapter?

I find that have a lot more issues with the TA in my bedroom. It is also much slower in acquiring SDV channels, sometimes up to 15 seconds.

TiVo Elite, TiVo 4, Four TiVo Minis, TiVo Stream, Roku 3, Google Chromecast, Cox Cable, Sonos
post #11152 of 11174 Old 06-18-2014, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpcgeek View Post
Dave,

Its been over a month since you started using TiVo. How stable have everything been? Any needed reboots of the TiVo or tuning adapter?

I find that have a lot more issues with the TA in my bedroom. It is also much slower in acquiring SDV channels, sometimes up to 15 seconds.
Hi King,

The Pro froze once, I think, but I was hitting keys like mad at the time, so it might have just been way behind. I've learned that a few things take some time, particularly sequencing Season Passes and connecting to TiVo, so I've taught myself to slow down a bit. I don't consider this a problem with my patience. not the unit.

The TA failed to tune SDV channels once just last week. I know some users reboot it once a week or so and I may start doing that if this becomes a regular occurrence. Since I use a Mini in the bedroom, I don't have a 2nd TA there. However, I have noticed I have to sometimes tune a channel twice to get it to "take". I've also had a recording stop playing and had to restart it, but that was just a minor nuisance and is far outweighed by all the other things TiVo brings to the table. I use MoCA, so I suppose there could be some noise on the lines at times. So far, I have not noticed a lag in acquiring channels, but then we are watching a lot more recordings now that ever before. Our daytime viewing is now pretty much our own schedule of recordings vs the live TV we were watching before. The 6-tuners and extra storage has really added to our TV viewing enjoyment. I couldn't do all this with the old 8300.

I ran into my first recording conflict last Sunday night. I can't believe I wanted to record a 7th program at 9:00 pm. The conflict was actually caused by the 28-day rule and it was simple enough to cancel the rerun and record what I wanted. Right now, the problem program is West Coast Customs on FSNAZ. All the programs are marked with a First Aired Date of 05/19/08 and the episode title/descriptions are all the same, generic. So, I just leave them record and delete the ones I've seen. Given all the storage I have, this is just a minor nuisance too.

I was able to use pyTivo, KMTTG and Stream Baby to upload/download things, including home movies I transferred to DVD a few years ago. I've had the pyTivo server running to stream photos and music, but I haven't used it since I tested it. I also purchased TiVo Desktop for Windows, but haven't done much with that either. Not all features of any of these work because something is blocking access, but between them all I can do what I wanted to and that's all that matters for now.

I've got my Harmony remote working with all my gear and have put the TiVo remote away. I have a harder time in the bedroom because of the differences in the remotes, I keep trying to use the playback buttons to select/scroll because they are located in the same place as the navigation buttons on the Harmony.

I've played with the TiVo app locally, but need to play with it outside my network to see how it's going to work on our trip in Aug/Sep. I spent a night in the ER and my wife just had her gallbladder removed, so playing with the TiVo/app have been on the backburner. My wife is doing fine and the issues she was having seem to have cleared up. I was having chest pains, but I didn't think it was a heart attack. Of course, they ran me through everything and never did find the cause of my pain. However, I got very good news. The stress test, EKGs, blood tests and ECHO all showed my heart is in great shape, so much so that my new cardiologist is weaning me from blood pressure meds. I still have Stage 3 Kidney disease, but my new diet and exercise program are working wonders. My blood pressure is back to normal, I've lost 15 lbs (now 6'1" and 197), my cholesterol numbers are all back in the normal range for the first time since I started tracking in 2003 and my kidney numbers have either stabilized or improved. I spent 14 hours in the ER, but it was well worth it to get all the good news.

I would like to see the Cox Contour setup just so I have something to compare, but I'm totally happy with the TiVo purchase and so glad I went all in with the Pro. Bryan was a tremendous help through all the setup and has answered the many questions I've asked him without complaint. He just sent me a new tip yesterday for controlling AVR and TV volume with the remote. I don't need it right now with the Harmony, but it will come in handy when/if that breaks. Even the folks at TiVo have been great answering the questions I've asked them. All in all a very good experience, but then my personal experience with Cox has always been pretty good too and they gave me no hassle about buying a TiVo and readily gave me everything I needed to get all set up.

Cheers, Dave
post #11153 of 11174 Old 06-26-2014, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Nice to see Dave and Paul still keeping the Phoenix thread going!

Hope all are doing well!

Carter

"With the advent of high-definition television, home viewers will see actors with extreme clarity and detail. Thus they will demand the stars of "Sex and the City" change their names to "The Golden Girls." -Conan O'Brien, In The Year 2000: Ted Danson Edition-
post #11154 of 11174 Old 06-26-2014, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey man, I've been wondering what you've been up too. Nice to see you're still around and checking in.

Cheers, Dave
post #11155 of 11174 Old 07-03-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Cox has recently added two new HD channels, Nic JR (1106) and TV Land (1058). Now if they would add Disney Jr to the HD lineup I would be all set. Its my grandson's favorite channel.

TiVo Elite, TiVo 4, Four TiVo Minis, TiVo Stream, Roku 3, Google Chromecast, Cox Cable, Sonos
post #11156 of 11174 Old 07-03-2014, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the heads-up. I see TiVo automatically adds new channels to the channel list and let's me delete them if I don't want to see them in the guide.

Cheers, Dave
post #11157 of 11174 Old 07-03-2014, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi all. Has Cox stopped transmitting unencrypted QAM? It's been years since I used it, but recently cut the cord. I have the same TV, so the tuner shouldn't be the issue (Sony xbr2) and I can't tune anything in. I am currently only subscribed to Cox for Internet service.

On a side note, thinking of switching to century link with their $30/month Internet promo. Any input on their service?
post #11158 of 11174 Old 07-03-2014, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Cox still provides the Local HDs in Clear QAM and Analog Cable channels, along with a few Digital SD channels.

If you are only paying for Internet, Cox may have put a filter on your line.

If you're not paying for at least Cox TV Starter then you certainly are not entitled to any TV channels.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #11159 of 11174 Old 07-04-2014, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamonte3 View Post
Hi all. Has Cox stopped transmitting unencrypted QAM? It's been years since I used it, but recently cut the cord. I have the same TV, so the tuner shouldn't be the issue (Sony xbr2) and I can't tune anything in. I am currently only subscribed to Cox for Internet service.

On a side note, thinking of switching to century link with their $30/month Internet promo. Any input on their service?
Cox stopped including basic TV service with internet a long time ago. As Bryan said, they do put filters on, but if you just cut the cord, that's possible, though unlikely. They usually only put the filter on if they had some other reason to roll a truck to your area, though that may have changed. I assume you've gone through the setup on your TV to scan for channels. If you haven't, I don't believe you'll be able to tune any channels until you do. I use QAM on 2 TVs, but I still have cable TV service.

As far as Century (un)Link, it seems to work just fine for my BIL. However, all they use it for is email and Facebook, no streaming, etc. I don't know if the $30 includes a modem because AFAIK you'll need a different one.

Cheers, Dave
post #11160 of 11174 Old 07-04-2014, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks guys. I guess I missed that change over the years when Cox stopped including basic channels with Internet service. I appreciate the confirmation.

As to century link, yes, you do need a different box to use their service than you would for Cox. It's $100 if you buy from them. I haven't looked at alternative options to that yet though.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page