2Likes

post #11191 of 11203 Old 10-20-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Two more points:

1) TVFool and the like are generic, and may not apply to your exact situation. They do not carefully use USFS relief maps to know how shaded you might be by the edge of a mountain, so assume their conclusions to be a guess on the high side.

2) a "30 mile" antenna does not, sadly, mean good reception up to 30 miles. It probably means "under the best possible conditions through the vacuum of space with no obstructions or reflections", meaning in the real world it might work OK at ~2/3rds of its rated distance, and then maybe not consistently.

You can not have too much directionality where you are. Use the most-directional antenna you can get.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11192 of 11203 Old 10-21-2014, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCat View Post
Why would "Mr. Antenna" put up an antenna that does not work properly?

Every reception site is a bit of a crap shoot, and to stay in business "Mr. Antenna" should try to bear down a little bit, and not leave until you have a working system, IMHO.

Maybe its not "Mr. Antennae", because that is the only single antenna he had? Maybe he was too lazy to climb up the ladder again and swap it with a better one? Maybe there was an agreed on price and a little better antenna would cut into his profits?

You need a better (read: more directional) antenna, such as a Channel Master 4228 HD. While not spec'ed for high VHF, they do pretty good. Your problem with 8.x may be because the antenna up there is not capable of both UHF and high VHF.

My guess is that you are getting some edge glow spatter around the Mt crests, which is a form of multipath interference. A more directional antenna should be able to find a beam without as much interference. Oddly, sometimes you have to point an antenna somewhat off axis to get the best reception in a multipath environment. Sometimes you have to move the antenna 5 or 10 feet to get out of an interference node. You likely do not need an antenna preamp under 50 miles away, and the preamp will just amplify signal and interference equally (plus add noise), meaning that at best the RATIO of signal to interference will not be improved, and that is the key thing that a directional antenna can do. You likely would not need a distribution line amp unless you are feeding a lot of sets over distance.

But "Mr. Antenna" should know all of that, and should have provided you with a more reliable system by employing a better antenna and better positioning/aiming technique. I hate to be cynical, but it sounds like you got the bare minimum treatment needed for him to get paid. Try your best to not let them off the hook, because it seems like you did not get delivery on what you probably paid for.

If you paid with a credit card it may be possible to contest this.
I agree with TomCat on Mr. Antenna, in all respects. Get them back out.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #11193 of 11203 Old 11-25-2014, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sure is quiet here. Is anyone else seeing problems with the local on the 8' on the Weather Channel 1070 HD. SD channel 70 is showing local forcast, etc. but 1070 is the default national feed. This has been going on for over 2 months.
post #11194 of 11203 Old 11-25-2014, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Sorry, Paul, we don't watch the Weather Channel unless we're traveling.

As for being dead around here, that's what happens when everyone is happy. Seriously, since I finally got a TiVo, I've really been happy. I've even put off buying a new TV now that I have access to Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming through TiVo. I still want a new TV, but now I can be more selective about pricing. I'm seriously considering the Vizio 70" P-Series that Costco is selling for $2000 (reg $2450) until Dec 24. They're out of stock online and I haven't checked the stores yet. I may just wait until next summer if this old Hitachi RPTV holds together than long.

Cheers, Dave
post #11195 of 11203 Old 11-25-2014, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
What is going on with CBS HD through Cox? (I do not know if OTA is affected) Is anyone else noticing the regular Audio and sometimes Video drop-outs?

For the last many weeks the Primetime shows have either had no audio for about 30 sec at approx 1.5 min into the show. Or the video and audio skip forward a few seconds usually near the beginning, or cut out entirely for several seconds, sometimes later in the show also.

I notice this mainly on the 8pm and 9pm shows.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #11196 of 11203 Old 11-25-2014, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
Sorry, Paul, we don't watch the Weather Channel unless we're traveling.

As for being dead around here, that's what happens when everyone is happy. Seriously, since I finally got a TiVo, I've really been happy. I've even put off buying a new TV now that I have access to Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming through TiVo. I still want a new TV, but now I can be more selective about pricing. I'm seriously considering the Vizio 70" P-Series that Costco is selling for $2000 (reg $2450) until Dec 24. They're out of stock online and I haven't checked the stores yet. I may just wait until next summer if this old Hitachi RPTV holds together than long.
That's a good call on the 70". The P series currently has a serious of bugs which should hopefully be addressed soon with a major firmware update. Best to hold of at least until then.
post #11197 of 11203 Old 11-25-2014, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post
What is going on with CBS HD through Cox? (I do not know if OTA is affected) Is anyone else noticing the regular Audio and sometimes Video drop-outs?

For the last many weeks the Primetime shows have either had no audio for about 30 sec at approx 1.5 min into the show. Or the video and audio skip forward a few seconds usually near the beginning, or cut out entirely for several seconds, sometimes later in the show also.

I notice this mainly on the 8pm and 9pm shows.

I've had audio drop out issues just as you described but no issues with video. I have OTA with a Tivo Roamio and run everything through an Oppo 103D.
post #11198 of 11203 Old Yesterday, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bryan, I've noticed some of that, but didn't really notice it was all CBS. Unlike some, I don't pay much attention to the station logos. I've had to back up and turn CC on to figure out what the heck they were saying.

Cheers, Dave
post #11199 of 11203 Old Yesterday, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Chere, I check the P-Series thread every now and then so I know a little about the bug, but that won't keep me from buying when I make the decision. My bigger concern is getting one that's not DOA. Not that I'd buy it there, but Best Buy seems to be playing hardball with returns if they don't deliver it/set it up and there is no apparent damage to the box. I know the complaints here make things look worse than they really are, but it's still a concern. I have to completely re-arrange my family room, buy a credenza, etc., so getting one that is broken would not be fun. I don't expect my Hitachi to just up and quit on me, so I think I'm just going to wait until I'm ready, which may not be until the fall season next year. I'm kind of waiting too to see what the R-series looks like and I want to look into what is happening with OLED prices a little more. Everything I've been reading seems to suggest these LED LCD sets are just an interim solution until OLED gets more affordable. If that's true, I might save some money and just get a 70" M-series instead. I just paid for a Disney cruise to the Bahamas (first cruise) and I need to mail off the Christmas gift checks to my grandsons, so I'm not anxious to spend anther $2,000 on a TV just yet.

Cheers, Dave
post #11200 of 11203 Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I can fit 65" P-Series. When my Kuro Elite 60" or Magnavox 42" in the bedroom dies, I am get one, too.

My favorite toy
post #11201 of 11203 Old Today, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
Chere, I check the P-Series thread every now and then so I know a little about the bug, but that won't keep me from buying when I make the decision. My bigger concern is getting one that's not DOA. Not that I'd buy it there, but Best Buy seems to be playing hardball with returns if they don't deliver it/set it up and there is no apparent damage to the box. I know the complaints here make things look worse than they really are, but it's still a concern. I have to completely re-arrange my family room, buy a credenza, etc., so getting one that is broken would not be fun. I don't expect my Hitachi to just up and quit on me, so I think I'm just going to wait until I'm ready, which may not be until the fall season next year. I'm kind of waiting too to see what the R-series looks like and I want to look into what is happening with OLED prices a little more. Everything I've been reading seems to suggest these LED LCD sets are just an interim solution until OLED gets more affordable. If that's true, I might save some money and just get a 70" M-series instead. I just paid for a Disney cruise to the Bahamas (first cruise) and I need to mail off the Christmas gift checks to my grandsons, so I'm not anxious to spend anther $2,000 on a TV just yet.

Yeah no rush there. Also consider Amazon's price matching as they deliver and wait for you to turn on and inspect the set thoroughly before they leave. Sometimes if you promise em a small tip they'll even assemble everything for you

Patience is a virtue my friend. That $2000 currently will let you move up to the 80" M-series at Sam's Club (sold out online; in store only) and the landscape should even look better by the time you get back from your cruise.
post #11202 of 11203 Old Today, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

80" is getting too big, even for me, but I'll surely take a look when I get ready to buy something.

Cheers, Dave
post #11203 of 11203 Old Today, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Just my two cents: I bought a 55" Panasonic plasma from BestBuy and their delivery service brought the set in, unpacked it, made all connections, turned it on and ran thru all the sources. I've also returned a set of B&W headphones within the 14 day period, and the return was processed quickly and pleasantly.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page