Phoenix, AZ - HDTV - Page 379 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
post #11341 of 11354 Old 05-20-2015, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Re the video clip. I haven't noticed anything like that though I'm in Georgia at the moment, so I can check one of my recordings. I'll try to look for it once I get back home sometime next month.

Re the overages. I seem to recall a survey I took about that, but I don't recall seeing what you posted. I doubt it will affect me and that's all I'll say on the subject, don't want to start something.

Cheers, Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11342 of 11354 Old 05-21-2015, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
Re the overages. I seem to recall a survey I took about that, but I don't recall seeing what you posted. I doubt it will affect me and that's all I'll say on the subject, don't want to start something.
I checked my "quota" against recent history. We are on Premier and do a fair amount of streaming (Netflix, Amazon, MLB.tv). The highest I got was March when I used about 1/3 of the quota, due to a lot of spring training games.

Paul
post #11343 of 11354 Old 05-21-2015, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I checked my "quota" against recent history. We are on Premier and do a fair amount of streaming (Netflix, Amazon, MLB.tv). The highest I got was March when I used about 1/3 of the quota, due to a lot of spring training games.

I hit about 240Gb in March, probably due to some new Netflix originals, other months were much lower.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited by DoubleDAZ; 05-22-2015 at 03:09 AM.
post #11344 of 11354 Old 05-21-2015, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
I hit about 240Gb in March, probably due to some new Netflix originals, other months we much lower.
Looks like our busiest month was just over 200Gb.

Paul
post #11345 of 11354 Old 05-25-2015, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Don't know when this is going to happen, but it'll be welcome when it does.

Via trusted sources, we’ve learned that TiVo is poised to launch Cox On Demand services… nearly five years after an announced partnership that most have assumed was dead. So while the various players dicker over the capabilities and implementation of a CableCARD successor, TiVo once again strikes a deal to build a custom solution. I’m not sure what’s in it for Cox, other than avoiding these last few years of TiVo’s Time Warp patent teeth. But we clearly know the value to TiVo — the company has previously indicated that retail sales and retention were higher within the Comcast footprint as Xfinity On Demand rolled out. (Granted, those regions had been bolstered by additional marketing.) Giving up “free” on demand content provided by one’s cable provider is often a sticking point before “going TiVo” – and Cox represents a sizable portion of TiVo’s addressable space as the 5th largest compatible cable operator. Trust me, a large percent of my peers with children rely on On Demand, making a TiVo a non-starter in many cases. It’s yet to be seen if the new TiVo Cox On Demand implementation retains the dated Xfinity approach or goes with a more modern HTML5 front-end. Regardless, given Cox’s continued reliance on Switched Digital Video and over aggressive copy protection, Verizon FiOS is still probably the better choice… assuming you have one.

http://zatznotfunny.com/2015-05/tivo-cox-on-demand/
Scott Oakley likes this.

Cheers, Dave
post #11346 of 11354 Old 05-26-2015, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Multichannel has confirmed Cox Nears VOD Launch on Retail TiVo Boxes

http://www.multichannel.com/news/nex...o-boxes/390884
"Cox Communications confirmed that it will soon begin to offer video-on-demand on certain TiVo retail DVR models over IP connections starting in Orange County in “early July,” followed by expansions into other markets."

"Cox spokesman Todd Smith said work is well underway for the MSO to deliver its VOD catalogue, including transactional VOD, subscription VOD, and free VOD, to digital TiVo customers who are subscribed to Cox’s video digital tier and its high-speed Internet “Essential” tier or higher. TiVo, he added, is targeting Cox VOD support on its Premiere and Roamio models (Series 4 and Series 5)."

"The VOD integration underway will have Cox support on-demand via IP (rather than via MPEG transport) using a digital rights management (DRM) from Verimatrix. Cox uses a similar approach to deliver VOD over IP to its “Contour” app for tablets."

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting

Last edited by Bryan_CoxPHX; 05-26-2015 at 03:50 PM.
post #11347 of 11354 Old 06-09-2015, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For Phoenix TiVo users, I received this in my email today and thought I'd pass it along. Hopefully, out-of-local-network streaming will come in the future........

So a variant of the web portal that TiVo had developed for their cable partners, like RCN, is now being made available to retail subscribers. And TiVo Online is looking pretty killer. Beyond the expected Season Pass OnePass configuration, recording management, and a highly polished guide, the tent pole feature is the ability to stream our DVR recordings and pseudo-live content à la Stream (replacing the tired and archaic TiVoToGo, if not the infinitely valuable kmttg). Sadly, to stay out of hot water, TiVo is only allowing in-home laptop or computer streaming. TiVo indicates all Roamio and Premiere models are supported… but I’ll go ahead and assume Premiere and lesser Roamios require purchase of the TiVo Stream accessory to make it happen, versus native Roamio Pro/Plus capabilities.

http://zatznotfunny.com/2015-06/tivo...o-web-browser/

http://online.tivo.com/start

Cheers, Dave
post #11348 of 11354 Old 06-10-2015, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member

That is pretty cool, and unexpected. Too bad Cox aggressively uses CCI 0x02 copy protection, makes it so you cannot even use the web portal in the home for viewing anything other than locals, at least for now.

Many are starting to get Plex today also.
More cool stuff headed our way soon.

Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting

Last edited by Bryan_CoxPHX; 06-10-2015 at 02:59 AM.
post #11349 of 11354 Old 06-10-2015, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post
That is pretty cool, and unexpected. Too bad Cox aggressively uses CCI 0x02 copy protection, makes it so you cannot even use the web portal in the home for viewing anything other than locals, at least for now.

Many are starting to get Plex today also.
More cool stuff headed our way soon.
Yeah, I've never understood why Cox is so aggressive, they've been that way since day one. It's one of the reasons I always laugh when I see their TV ads, they are so far from being our friend in the digital age.

I've always supported Cox, but it gets harder every year, especially after I visit my daughter who now has Comcast. To be sure, there are a lot of things I don't like about Comcast when compared to Cox, but I noticed one cool feature last month. I was watching a recording that for some reason got interrupted before it was finished recording. When it reached the end, it asked if I wanted to finish watching the episode via OnDemand. Somehow it knew there was more. When I said Yes, it picked up where the recording left off.

I'm getting closer to replacing my 2003 Hitachi RPTV. I was at Costco yesterday and saw the 80" Vizio M-series for $3,900, what a monster, until you see the 85" for $6,000 they have on display. However, the 80" is a bit pricey compared to the 70" P-series for $2,000 and I'm still conflicted about Samsung, their 65" S-UHD for $3,000 sure looks nice. I'm trying my best to hold off until the holiday sales start in the fall.

Cheers, Dave
post #11350 of 11354 Old 06-10-2015, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Why is phoenix having to wait until december when we are supposed to have it june 1st?
post #11351 of 11354 Old 06-10-2015, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Was referring to the buzzr tv network.
post #11352 of 11354 Unread Today, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI....
TiVo Hot Summer Sale

Save BIG on TiVo Roamio series DVRs while supplies last!
TiVo-renewed units carry the exact same warranty as new, and all appear brand new.

New Roamio OTA ($50)
New Roamio Basic ($150)
Renewed Roamio Basic ($50)
Renewed Roamio Plus ($200)
Renewed Roamio Pro ($300)

Product Lifetime service $349.99 reg. $499.99

post #11353 of 11354 Unread Today, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post
FYI....
TiVo Hot Summer Sale

Save BIG on TiVo Roamio series DVRs while supplies last!
TiVo-renewed units carry the exact same warranty as new, and all appear brand new.

New Roamio OTA ($50)
New Roamio Basic ($150)
Renewed Roamio Basic ($50)
Renewed Roamio Plus ($200)
Renewed Roamio Pro ($300)

Product Lifetime service $349.99 reg. $499.99
Wow that is a deal! Last month I paid $40 for the the Spherular's eBay discount code to buy a Pro with Lifetime for $723. So a total of $763. $650 is a real nice price. Of course I would have been happy to not pay anything but Cox fried my Elite's tuner and refuses to do anything about it. Even TiVo has said that it was "most likely" that the work Cox did cause the tuner to go bad. Elite is working before Cox comes knocking on the door, it is not working after they leave. Coincidence? I think not.

TiVo Roamio Pro, TiVo Elite, TiVo 4, 8 TiVo Minis, Roku 3, Cox Cable, Sonos
post #11354 of 11354 Unread Today, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It is a good deal, "renewed" Pros are going for $380 on Woot. But let's not forget that you got a "new" unit and the $763 includes tax. Still, it's a $95 discount overall with the same warranty, etc.

Cheers, Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page