Phoenix, AZ - HDTV - Page 391 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes
post #11701 of 11723 Unread 11-16-2016, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhett View Post
A stucco house and an indoor antenna is usually a bad combination.... Before spending $50 on a fancy-looking antenna, you might do well to try a $10 set of rabbit ears. Just remember that VHF reception will be necessary for channels 8, 10 and 12.
I spent around an (additional) hour earlier today fine-tuning the position of my indoor antenna and managed to receive two more channels (current count totalling 43). Happy to report that I am receiving all of the PBS channels on channel 8. Channel 10 is also available but 12 is still a no-show.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Edwin R. Hurd
AVS Forums Lurker-In-Training!

My Tight-space A/V Setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11702 of 11723 Unread 11-17-2016, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

I just installed another indoor antenna earlier this afternoon; this time in our master bedroom on the second floor of the house. The GE Pro Crystal HD Amplified Antenna delivered 74 digital channels, capturing VHF channels 8, 10, but not 12.

Edwin R. Hurd

My Tight-space A/V Setup
post #11703 of 11723 Unread 11-18-2016, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhurd View Post
I just installed another indoor antenna earlier this afternoon; this time in our master bedroom on the second floor of the house. The GE Pro Crystal HD Amplified Antenna delivered 74 digital channels, capturing VHF channels 8, 10, but not 12.

There might be an issue with your tuner. Try another TV or tuner to see if you can receive channel 12. Just a thought.

post #11704 of 11723 Unread 11-18-2016, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Pleased to report that after purchasing and connecting a 50' coaxial cable to the antenna, which allowed me to relocate and aim it directly out of the living area window, my indoor antenna now delivers 65 channels. The total channel count has increased from 43 and now includes all three VHF channels (8, 10 and 12).

Edwin R. Hurd

My Tight-space A/V Setup

Last edited by erhurd; 11-18-2016 at 08:23 PM.
post #11705 of 11723 Unread 11-21-2016, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Some observations from the low-power stations
  • All of K38IZ-D's subchannels have MAJOR macroblocking issues. Not just that, but the top-of-the-hour ID interrupts the middle of a movie on the ThisTV subchannel.
  • The audio got fixed on Comet TV 50.3, but the aspect ratio is back to "squeezed" (16:9 fitting in 4:3 setting).
post #11706 of 11723 Unread 11-22-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCoyote View Post
Some observations from the low-power stations
  • All of K38IZ-D's subchannels have MAJOR macroblocking issues. Not just that, but the top-of-the-hour ID interrupts the middle of a movie on the ThisTV subchannel.
  • The audio got fixed on Comet TV 50.3, but the aspect ratio is back to "squeezed" (16:9 fitting in 4:3 setting).
Broadcast TV use to be so Professional, What happened?
post #11707 of 11723 Unread 11-22-2016, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
When were LPTV stations ever professional?

- Trip
AZCoyote and artisticimaging like this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #11708 of 11723 Unread 11-22-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
This is what happens when the "real stations" refuse to pick up/keep diginets so they can bring you repeats of newscasts and outdated weather information. KTVK must not be making much money off their subchannels, because I mainly see PSAs during commercial breaks. Certainly, Comet has some kind of agreement with them, or else this wouldn't have been posted on their website in September.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Comet Phoenix.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1784025  
artisticimaging likes this.

Last edited by AZCoyote; 11-22-2016 at 10:12 AM.
post #11709 of 11723 Unread 11-22-2016, 03:34 PM

Forty years ago I used a commodore 64 to make titles for videos, that’s what the This TV station I.D. looks like. A superimpose title of the I.D. during the Broadcast would at lease look professional.
post #11710 of 11723 Unread 11-24-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Forty years ago I used a commodore 64 to make titles for videos, that’s what the This TV station I.D. looks like. A superimpose title of the I.D. during the Broadcast would at lease look professional.
That or they're using an circa 1987 Amiga with a Video Toaster.

This past Tuesday, during a movie, 50.3 all of a sudden throws up a "NewsMax" icon with a black background for ten seconds. They really don't know what they're doing over there.
artisticimaging likes this.
post #11711 of 11723 Unread 12-18-2016, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
I'm new to this thread and relocated to Buckeye, Arizona from San Diego back in mid-January. My wife and I have decided to cut the CATV cord after having been Cox customers for about 25 years...

erhurd,

What is your internet solution now that you've dropped COX?

Reasonably fast and reliable broadband is the only reason we still send them money every month.

Mkard in east valley.

post #11712 of 11723 Unread 12-18-2016, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

We went OTA back in 2004.

I get 59 stations using an indoor-mounted (1st-Floor interior hallway ceiling "facing" West through wallboard and frame a lot of windows) TERK 55 that I bought way back when. Using that, I supply three rooms via pre-wired coax.

Only ever watch about 5 channels. The NBC and CBS stations are 1080i, but both can be quite marginal at times. While I know that the single best thing I could do is to at least mount the TERK in the attic/crawlspace to get a little altitude, I am wondering if I'd see any improvement with just buying a more modern antenna rig?

Regards to all,

Mkard

btw, I am not quite clear on why I may be getting a digital channel quite adequately (say KAET, ch-8) but when I change the powered antenna status (say, to powered=Amplified) to get ch-61, ch-8 is no longer available. Or entirely the other way around. Does anyone else have this experience?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OTA_Digital at HOME12_16scrubbed.png
Views:	26
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	1840041  

Last edited by Mkard; 12-18-2016 at 09:30 PM. Reason: additional question
post #11713 of 11723 Unread 12-18-2016, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkard View Post
erhurd,

What is your internet solution now that you've dropped COX?

Reasonably fast and reliable broadband is the only reason we still send them money every month.

Mkard in east valley.
We dropped the CATV service, but still subscribe to the Internet service provided by Cox. We purchased a 32" TCL Roku TV a few weeks ago for a guest bedroom and the hi-speed Internet is just what the doctor ordered. Looking forward to adding a TCL 55FS3750 to our living area lounge.

Edwin R. Hurd

My Tight-space A/V Setup
post #11714 of 11723 Unread 12-18-2016, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

erhurd,

Yep, same boat here. Kind of expensive too.

We've been hooked on streaming, Netflix especially, ever since we got an Xbox 360 three or four years ago. High speed internet (cue derisive laughter from the rest of the world) is an essential with the "smart" devices now available.

The intense bandwidth needs of movies in HD, or even UHD is going to make things even more crazy going forward. I've not yet heard anyone crowing about the speed/reliability/price of any broadband availability here in the Valley.

My sister-in-law pays @ US $13/mo for 400mps (the BASIC!) internet access in Shanghai near the University.

Sure would be nice if we had viable choices.

Good luck
Mkard
erhurd likes this.

post #11715 of 11723 Unread 01-07-2017, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New to Sun City West

Howdy all,
Just a quick hello from myself, transplanted from Northwest Indiana to Sun City West, AZ upon retirement. Really love the weather here.

I'm jumping on this thread as I see several here fairly close by talking about things of interest to me. I'm using Cox only for internet at present and really trying hard to NOT subscribe to standard cable TV services. I came from Comcast land with a triple play $150/month bill and really don't want to repeat that folly.

The home I bought has an antenna in the attic that I'm currently using to get the local stuff (zip 85375) that's giving me marginal performance (perhaps re-aiming could help).

I'm new to playing with a Roku Ultra to do some streaming. The only "paid" streams I have are Netflix & Amazon Prime at present.

I brought a couple Win7 HTPC boxes with me sporting Ceton tuners but understand they'll do nothing for me here without a cable card (and some level of subscription) from Cox.

The wife really misses the channel guide (especially since every network is now on a new channel) and I miss the ability to pause a show along with recording our favs off cable channels. I'm just trying to decide what best to do next (first).

I got a promo in the mail from Cox about their Contour Flex Starter (with additional available channel package increases for reasonable extra $) and wonder if anyone here has experience with this. I'm also studying the Vue, Tablo, Tivo, Airbox capabilities to compare offerings.

I thought I could see a demo of Contour Flex but alas, our local Cox store in Surprise doesn't have it set up to see in person. Some initial online Cox chats are trying to tempt me into it along with renting a tuner box so I could then have dual (internet and TV) service from them which would bring a faster internet connection as well as their on-demand features and local channels at maybe $10 more per month than the basic internet only service I now have. But that also brings a 1 or 2 year contract, which sorta scares me if I find it's not what I like. Plus, could I rent just a cable card, stick in into the Ceton 4 channel PCI tuner or Ceton 6 channel ethernet tuner and get the 'live" cable channels Cox offers with Contour Flex, or by "Live" do they mean the streaming equivalents via internet. I get the distinct impression that the chat reps are telling me what I want to hear rather than the truth, or perhaps they don't even know the correct answers... sigh... The Ceton gear I have, along with HTPCs to house them are a significant investment but not a deal breaker to absolutely have to use.

The TV functionality that Tivo boasts (guide and searches combining OTA, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix listings) all in one place seems cool and may sell the wife on it... but wowser, the Tivo subscription fees seem pricey (I'm big on "lifetime" subscriptions provided the numbers make sense). Perhaps this is poor judgement on my part since all of this is changing so rapidly in my view. Am I correct in thinking that the Roamio OTA does all this without a subscription fee? What does it not do that the Bolt does? And, it sort of seems that you have to make the OTA vs. Cable choice up front (one box doesn't do both?) so jeeze, what happens when I find I've made the wrong choice there?

Decisions, decisions... who wants to chime in and answer some of my questions?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies... and my apologies in advance for the ensuing chatter...

Lar
post #11716 of 11723 Unread 01-07-2017, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Hi and welcome to the valley.

I'm not sure what you mean by "marginal performance", but adjusting the antenna might help if you are missing some channels you think you should be able to receive. However, it sounds like you really want a guide and recording capability, so I wouldn't waste my time until you decide you're not going to get a cable card and subscription for your Ceton.

While Netflix and Amazon are great for their original content, etc., you might look into Hulu to see if it offers the shows you watch, but that still won't be like having cable with a guide, etc.

Since I bought a TiVo back in 2014, I haven't kept up with Cox offerings. I don't know why the Surprise store couldn't show you Contour and just explain what you'd get with their Flex Starter subscription. If they don't have anything set up to demo, maybe try the store on Bell Road in Glendale near 59th Avenue. From what I read, my impression is that Cox offers a starter package that offers the locals, some shopping channels and some music channels, but not in HD. To get them in HD, you have to upgrade to the Contour Starter service that you mentioned and I could not find a price for it unless it's the same as the non-HD package $10/mo. I'm not sure where you're seeing "live" cable channels, but I suspect that just means the channels you are paying for.

To get anything though, you will need a tuner or cable card. I don't see any reason you can't get the cable card instead of the tuner and still get the bundle pricing. I suspect your fear in committing to a 2-yr contract is that you may not be happy with the limited channels in the starter package along with Netflix and Amazon. You can ask, but I'd be very surprised if they wouldn't let you upgrade your service during the 2 years, though you might not get exactly the same discounted pricing you would get doing it now.

I'm not sure what you were told that leads you to believe the chat reps are telling you what you want to hear, so maybe further examples of questions/answers would help.

The TiVo Bolt allows you to connect to cable or OTA, but it only has 4 tuners and limited recording capacity. And you still need a subscription to get the guide and recording capability no matter what TiVo you purchase. While the lifetime is expensive to start, it becomes free after 36 months (compared to the monthly subscription). I'll be the first to admit that I think it's really expensive for just the local channels and before I bought, I decided that there were just too many cable shows we liked to go with the Bolt and got a Roamio Pro and now almost everything we watch is recorded, we sometimes need a 7th and 8th tuner. I should check into Hulu myself, but I don't believe they offer everything we watch.

Anyway, I pay $162, but ~$75 of that is internet and then another ~$17.50 is taxes/fees, so I'm paying ~$70 for TV. When I look at the number of shows and hours we watch, that's cheap entertainment. When my latest contract is up, I'll see what they have to offer, just like I do with SiriusXM, and make my decision. I'd love for my bill to be $30 like it used to be 20+ years ago, but that's not going to happen and we would not be happy with less service, so we bite the bullet and don't worry about it. And we're retired too, so we know what living on a retirement income is like.

Now, when it comes to TiVo boasts, it does interface cable, Netflix, Amazon, etc., to varying degrees of success. For example, Goliath has been available on Amazon Prime for months now and TiVo still can't find it. And every so often when they do an upgrade, all the episodes of some other programs show up again and I have to delete them. And if you watch an episode through the app instead of the My Shows list, it doesn't get flagged as having been read, so it has its inconvenient problems. Still, it's a great feature, as are Skip and Quick modes. It is nice to look up a show and find it's available in the guide, On Demand, on Netflix, Amazon, etc. I often find shows where it asks if I want to record it or watch it now via On Demand or streaming. Now that I have a 4k Smart TV, I do tend to use the TV apps for Netflix and Amazon mostly because we binge watch 3-4 episodes and it's just easier with the TV, but I love the TiVo and have not regretted paying the price. The thing is though you have to commit until you recoup the cost. I recouped mine in just over 2 years, so that part if all free now.

As far as the Bolt vs the Roamio, the Bolt is smaller and faster, though I don't know how much difference the speed makes because that certainly doesn't affect the speed of the show. Like I said, you need a subscription for all TiVos. The Bolt does OTA or cable, the Bolt Plus does only cable, the Roamio OTA does only OTA, and the Roamio Pro (I guess still available through the outlet store) only does cable. With the Bolt, if you make a mistake, you can cancel cable after your contract and not lose the TiVo investment. The Bolt Plus can get expensive because it gives you storage capacity options up to 3TB.

I don't know if any of this helps, but hopefully it gives you more info to think about to ask more questions.

Cheers, Dave
post #11717 of 11723 Unread 01-07-2017, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin_AZ View Post
Howdy all,
Just a quick hello from myself, transplanted from Northwest Indiana to Sun City West, AZ upon retirement. Really love the weather here.

I'm jumping on this thread as I see several here fairly close by talking about things of interest to me. I'm using Cox only for internet at present and really trying hard to NOT subscribe to standard cable TV services. I came from Comcast land with a triple play $150/month bill and really don't want to repeat that folly.

The home I bought has an antenna in the attic that I'm currently using to get the local stuff (zip 85375) that's giving me marginal performance (perhaps re-aiming could help).

I'm new to playing with a Roku Ultra to do some streaming. The only "paid" streams I have are Netflix & Amazon Prime at present.

I brought a couple Win7 HTPC boxes with me sporting Ceton tuners but understand they'll do nothing for me here without a cable card (and some level of subscription) from Cox.

The wife really misses the channel guide (especially since every network is now on a new channel) and I miss the ability to pause a show along with recording our favs off cable channels. I'm just trying to decide what best to do next (first).

I got a promo in the mail from Cox about their Contour Flex Starter (with additional available channel package increases for reasonable extra $) and wonder if anyone here has experience with this. I'm also studying the Vue, Tablo, Tivo, Airbox capabilities to compare offerings.

I thought I could see a demo of Contour Flex but alas, our local Cox store in Surprise doesn't have it set up to see in person. Some initial online Cox chats are trying to tempt me into it along with renting a tuner box so I could then have dual (internet and TV) service from them which would bring a faster internet connection as well as their on-demand features and local channels at maybe $10 more per month than the basic internet only service I now have. But that also brings a 1 or 2 year contract, which sorta scares me if I find it's not what I like. Plus, could I rent just a cable card, stick in into the Ceton 4 channel PCI tuner or Ceton 6 channel ethernet tuner and get the 'live" cable channels Cox offers with Contour Flex, or by "Live" do they mean the streaming equivalents via internet. I get the distinct impression that the chat reps are telling me what I want to hear rather than the truth, or perhaps they don't even know the correct answers... sigh... The Ceton gear I have, along with HTPCs to house them are a significant investment but not a deal breaker to absolutely have to use.

The TV functionality that Tivo boasts (guide and searches combining OTA, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix listings) all in one place seems cool and may sell the wife on it... but wowser, the Tivo subscription fees seem pricey (I'm big on "lifetime" subscriptions provided the numbers make sense). Perhaps this is poor judgement on my part since all of this is changing so rapidly in my view. Am I correct in thinking that the Roamio OTA does all this without a subscription fee? What does it not do that the Bolt does? And, it sort of seems that you have to make the OTA vs. Cable choice up front (one box doesn't do both?) so jeeze, what happens when I find I've made the wrong choice there?

Decisions, decisions... who wants to chime in and answer some of my questions?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies... and my apologies in advance for the ensuing chatter...

Lar

Welcome, I have bounced this very issue around for years, going from Cox, to DTV to OTA TiVo with Sony VUE for cable content and back to Dish.

I was ok with the OTA & VUE but my Wife disliked having to run cable shows through the Playstation.

Cox has gotten very very expensive. Currently, we just have 150mb internet which had been 60 a month and after an increase and loss of a discount ballooned to 86!

We pay Dish 113 for their USA 200 + HBO, Showtime & EPIX. I am paying TiVo for one remaining box until the year is out but do enjoy several of the local channels that have old shows like Twilight Zone & Rockord Files.

With 3 antennas 2 in windows on opposite sides & 1 outside on the boom of our old DTV dish we get 90+ ota channels which includes all the major ones available.

Good luck deciding, it is quite a process.

Anthem MRX 720, ELAC F5, SVS Ultra Center, Klipsch R-2650 Sony XBR 75X940D & 75X910C, OPPO BDP-93, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, Hopper 3, HTPC, HSU VTF-15H MK2
post #11718 of 11723 Unread 01-08-2017, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm still happy using my HD Homerun Prime with cable card. I also have 3 OTA tuners in a pc running Windows 8.1 MCE. I then use a wired network to watch live and recorded tv on 4 Xbox 360's. The antenna is in my attic at Tatum and Bell, I pick up all of the locals plus all of the Tuscon network channels.
post #11719 of 11723 Unread 01-09-2017, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 28
We tried Playstation Vue and an OTA TiVo for a while. It saved us a fair amount and we got everything we were used to (lacking only WGN and MLB Network). Having to deal with two interfaces, one of which was horridly cumbersome (Vue), made it not worth the savings. We went back to Cox but with a TiVo Bolt and a couple of TiVo Minis. The monthly cost is about $55 less and the savings have already paid off the hardware.

Paul
post #11720 of 11723 Unread 03-06-2017, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 353
OFF TOPIC

My daughter's Phoenix law firm (small private) is looking for a cheap IT firm. It doesn't have to be a firm per se, it could also be a group or guys/girls that have put together a IT consulting company.

If anyone has any ideas, tips, please send me a PM (do not post).

Thanks.

"You're Sherlock Holmes, wear the damn hat!" - Watson to Sherlock
Sherlock - The Abominable Bride - 1/01/16
Mr. Video
My Geek Images
post #11721 of 11723 Unread 04-04-2017, 09:17 AM

Three of my channels have disappeared. This TV 38.5, Retro 38.6, and Rev'n 38.7. Anybody know why?

Edit: Never Mind, it's working again.

Last edited by artisticimaging; Yesterday at 11:03 AM.
post #11722 of 11723 Unread Yesterday, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Three of my channels have disappeared. This TV 38.5, Retro 38.6, and Rev'n 38.7. Anybody know why?

Edit: Never Mind, it's working again.
Just noticed mine have disappeared, too.

Edwin R. Hurd

My Tight-space A/V Setup
post #11723 of 11723 Unread Today, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just noticed mine have disappeared, too.

Edit: A day or so later the missing channels have reappeared on my TV's channel listing.

Edwin R. Hurd

My Tight-space A/V Setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception