Phoenix, AZ - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #91 of 11174 Old 01-05-2005, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No playoff football on CBS HD? All I see on 705 is a message saying KPHO HD is down for upgrades?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 11174 Old 01-06-2005, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I just got a Sasem OnAir HD a couple of days ago and one of the interesting things I noticed about KPHO (before it went off the air) is that Sasem indicates it as 1080p (yes I intentinally typed 1080p not 1080i).

Fox and ABC are properly detected as 720p while NBC and PBS are properly detected as 1080i.

IIRC, ATSC does not support 1080p60, so I'm not sure what the Sasem means by 1080p. Does ATSC support 1080p24 or 1080p30?
post #93 of 11174 Old 01-06-2005, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mac The Knife
I just got a Sasem OnAir HD a couple of days ago and one of the interesting things I noticed about KPHO (before it went off the air) is that Sasem indicates it as 1080p (yes I intentinally typed 1080p not 1080i).

I have recorded enough stuff from KPHO to verify that it is 1080i and NOT 1080p...there must be some sort of glitch that it marks it as such.

I hope the new additions that KPHO are working on will not degrade their excellent signal. They are by far the cleanest OTA (and cable) 1080i signal in the Valley. If they can only get 5.1 on all primetime shows and I will be very happy.
post #94 of 11174 Old 01-07-2005, 07:46 PM

Quote:

If they can only get 5.1 on all primetime shows and I will be very happy.

Sorry Carlos, at the moment CBS is only offering 5.1 on the three CSIs and "selected" sports programming. It's sort of a test pushing Metadata down the feed with the HD Stream. If there is enough support, I'm sure they'll ask as many of their Program Providers as they can to try 5.1.

-Work In Progress, Work In Progress-
post #95 of 11174 Old 01-08-2005, 09:23 PM

I saw the post about CBS 5.1 being down - I tried to record CSI on Thursday and didn't get anything. I saw it was down today - any chance of it being up for the playoff game tomorrow?
post #96 of 11174 Old 01-09-2005, 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by rsingleton
I saw the post about CBS 5.1 being down - I tried to record CSI on Thursday and didn't get anything. I saw it was down today - any chance of it being up for the playoff game tomorrow?

I'm not getting a signal on 5.1 at the start of today's Colts v Broncos game guess we'll have to watch it the game in SD - Yuk!

It's a shame we Directv users can't complain and get them to enable the West Coast CBS HD feed.

LarryInAz
- TiVo-holic since '99 -
post #97 of 11174 Old 01-09-2005, 10:39 AM

With the apparent demise of the Arizona and Phoenix HDTV boards, is this THE place to be for reception info, etc?

Thanks,
Tom in Mesa
post #98 of 11174 Old 01-11-2005, 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jgriffaz
Why in the name of God would they choose NOW to do the upgrade?

I agree - why could they have not waited a few more weeks after the NFL post season was over? Stoopid Stoopid Stupid!

LarryInAz
- TiVo-holic since '99 -
post #99 of 11174 Old 01-11-2005, 10:41 AM

How odd - I posted a reply to jgriffaz's 12:26p post and yet my post/reply was time stamped with an earlier time and also posted ahead of jgriffaz's.

ESPn?

LarryInAz
- TiVo-holic since '99 -
post #100 of 11174 Old 01-11-2005, 11:26 AM

post #101 of 11174 Old 01-11-2005, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jgriffaz

They had an FCC permit for the upgrade and the deadline was this week only...

Here's Seth's explanation...

Quote:

There's never a good time to do this kind of thing, and it has to be done on a schedule because the FCC issues Construction Permits for upgrades of this magnitude and they have expiration dates, meaning that the work has to be completed before the permit expires. We'll be back in action in time for the Divisional Playoffs.

Seth Parker
Program Director

post #102 of 11174 Old 01-12-2005, 09:19 AM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Carlos_Salcedo
They had an FCC permit for the upgrade and the deadline was this week only...

Here's Seth's explanation...

Seth's quote said back they'll be back in time for the divisional playoffs. If Jan 20th is the date they plan to finish we'll only be able to see the AFC championship game, not the divisional games. The Jan 20th date comes from a earlier post.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #103 of 11174 Old 01-12-2005, 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by AFH
Seth's quote said back they'll be back in time for the divisional playoffs. If Jan 20th is the date they plan to finish we'll only be able to see the AFC championship game, not the divisional games. The Jan 20th date comes from a earlier post.

They are already back online during prime time and should be finished with the daytime work on Thurs or Friday...
post #104 of 11174 Old 01-13-2005, 08:23 AM

I have a Winegard and the Samsung HD Unit sold by Direct TV.

OTA Fox, is perhaps my worst experience.

The sound constantly goes and and it's luck to flicker back in.

I will try to re-aim my antennae a bit more towards the South Mountain towers.

I also find it odd, that many of these HD OTA channels are not broadcasting in 5.1. Like LOST for example. Came in OK last night, sound drop on during the commercials and sometimes when the show came back on after the commercials.

I have yet to watch a Football game on FOX HD since I started with Direct about 6 weeks ago.
post #105 of 11174 Old 01-13-2005, 08:43 AM

Quote:

They are already back online during prime time and should be finished with the daytime work on Thurs or Friday...

They weren't on last night...
post #106 of 11174 Old 01-13-2005, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kjd2121
They weren't on last night...

They were for me...I recorded CSI - NY on my OTA Samsung T-165 with no glitches and 5.1 audio...
post #107 of 11174 Old 01-13-2005, 09:49 AM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by PhdWho
I also find it odd, that many of these HD OTA channels are not broadcasting in 5.1. Like LOST for example. Came in OK last night, sound drop on during the commercials and sometimes when the show came back on after the commercials.

It's weird, but the ABC affil is the only hd station that has constant audio drop outs right before a show comes back from commercial break. It happened last night as you said during Lost, but it also happened during Alias and it has been happening since Desperate Housewives began in Sept. It's aggrevating b/c I'll be sitting there watching a commercial that has sound and all of a sudden you get no sound. Then the last commercial before the show starts comes on and you hear this loud scratchy/pop noise. They need to get that fixed b/c it is a issue with our ABC affil's equipment.

post #108 of 11174 Old 01-13-2005, 09:55 AM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They were for me...I recorded CSI - NY on my OTA Samsung T-165 with no glitches and 5.1 audio...

They were? I couldn't get them last using an OTA that is connected to my Mits tv. They must be operating at a lower power than before.

post #109 of 11174 Old 01-13-2005, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by AFH
They were? I couldn't get them last using an OTA that is connected to my Mits tv. They must be operating at a lower power than before.

That might be the case as Seth said that they were not done with the upgrade until Friday...but it also helps that I am less than 5 miles from the South Mountain towers with an absolutely open/clean line of sight.

I don't know what my signal strength was as I never look at the meter.
post #110 of 11174 Old 01-13-2005, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

That might be the case as Seth said that they were not done with the upgrade until Friday...but it also helps that I am less than 5 miles from the South Mountain towers with an absolutely open/clean line of sight.

I don't know what my signal strength was as I never look at the meter.

I'm over 20 miles away and 5-1 seemed to have about the signal level as usual for me.

OTOH, 12-1 did something last night (I think it must have been a PSIP change) that caused one of my receivers to stop receiving until after I rescanned. The other receiver worked fin.
post #111 of 11174 Old 01-14-2005, 10:42 AM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Well, I guess the CBS affil has everything completed b/c I was able to watch CSI last night in hd. Marge was looking good as usual in hd.

post #112 of 11174 Old 01-14-2005, 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by AFH
Marge was looking good as usual in hd.

She was on Letterman last night and on Regis this morning...excuse me while I wipe off all this drool..this is one lady that just keep getting better with age.
post #113 of 11174 Old 01-14-2005, 07:03 PM

Group,

Just moved to the area from Orlando and just got my antennas up on the house and the HD set top box online and was a little shocked to see that UPN45 and UPN18 are both showing Star Trek in Standard Def. Is this correct or is this a mistake for the night? Just curious to know cause I've gotten used to watching ST in HD and this kinda blows!
post #114 of 11174 Old 01-17-2005, 09:43 AM

Question for you guys, if I went to CC and got a Samsung SIR-T451 OTH Set top Box, and a decent antenna can I expect to be able to receive HD content in Mesa (Baseline and Higley) and watch it on my projector. I really want to watch 24 in HD.

Phil (Mesa, AZ)
post #115 of 11174 Old 01-17-2005, 09:56 AM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by SunDevilPilot1
Question for you guys, if I went to CC and got a Samsung SIR-T451 OTH Set top Box, and a decent antenna can I expect to be able to receive HD content in Mesa (Baseline and Higley) and watch it on my projector. I really want to watch 24 in HD.

Phil (Mesa, AZ)

Everyone's situation is different. A indoor antenna may or may not work for your location. I'm in Chandler off Alma School on QC and I'm using an indoor antenna connected to my tv that has an internal tuner. I'm able to pickup all of the local hd stations but I do have to fumble around with the antenna sometimes. I think it will all depend on how sensitive the Samsung tuner is. I would say to go pick one up and try it. But before you do, you can do a test . Take a indoor antenna and connect it to a tv in your home and see how well you can receive the analog stations. If you can receive fairly decently then you should be able to receive the digital versions. Once again, it is trial and error.

The local stations have their antennas on top of South Mountain. Try aiming your antenna in that general direction.

post #116 of 11174 Old 01-17-2005, 10:45 PM

I've been reading hundreds of posts on AVS forum related to my following questions but I wanted to get some local answers. It seems there are many versions of this box depending on your market area. Here goes:

1) If I connect the SA 8300HD recorder to to my Sony KDF-55XS955 TV via HDMI for the video and to my audio amp via the S/PDIF for audio, will I get DD 5.1 for the digital broadcasts? Any specific settings on the SA box?

2) Is there a passthrough option for the video via the HDMI so the TV will do the conversion? My understanding is that this is preferred to get the best PQ. Any specific settings on the SA box?

3) In the future, if I buy a DVD recorder (non-HDD type) with a HDMI output and component inputs, can I record to DVD disk from the SA box hard drive? Would it be a HD recording? How would the audio be fed to the DVD recorder since I will be using the S/PDIF SA box output to the audio amp. I would then like to play this recorded disk as well as rented/purchased DVD's through the 2nd HDMI input on the Sony TV. Would there be a conflict with the passthrough setup from question 2?

Whew!! I'm not even a techie!!!
post #117 of 11174 Old 01-18-2005, 05:37 AM

I was able to boost my FOX HD signal from 60% to 80%(hi) - 70%(low) by moving the OTA just a few inches to the North. That is, reaiming it a few inches to the North.

While I have a direct view to south mountain at that location, my FOX HD OTA feed was a mess and unwathcable with signal strength of 60%.

But with that slight adjustment the FOX HD feed is now fantastic and was able to watch the football game in it's entirety without any loss of signal.

My other Local OTA remain at about 90% both before and after the slight redeirction of the antennae.

Noobie, should have tried this a long time ago.
post #118 of 11174 Old 01-18-2005, 02:00 PM

Unless someone can confirm otherwise, it appears COX no longer rebroadcasts the HD channels on the XX.X channels listed above, for those of us not wanting to rent a cox HD cable box.

I've been unsuccessful with a Mitsibishi HD tuner getting any of the ones listed in the posts above. I called Cox, whose answer was "you have to have our tuner"

Anyone confirm otherwise?
post #119 of 11174 Old 01-18-2005, 02:51 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Blammo_doh
Unless someone can confirm otherwise, it appears COX no longer rebroadcasts the HD channels on the XX.X channels listed above, for those of us not wanting to rent a cox HD cable box.

I've been unsuccessful with a Mitsibishi HD tuner getting any of the ones listed in the posts above. I called Cox, whose answer was "you have to have our tuner"

Anyone confirm otherwise?

I don't quite understand your question! Are you saying that you have a tuner within your television that will allow you pickup the hd locals or a external tuner that allows you to pickup the locals? You don't have to have the Cox tuner to pickup the locals in hd.

post #120 of 11174 Old 01-18-2005, 10:41 PM

Sorry, let me be a bit more verbose:

I have a stand-alone RCA HD tuner which picks up OTA HD just fine, MOST of the time. I'm about 30 miles from South Mountain, which means I get some signal fade occasionally, especially since I'm only using little rabbit ears.

I'm also a Cox Premium subscriber, so I have full blown cable here as well.

I read earlier in the thread where people were referring to the following chart:

Quote:

Available with an integrated or stand-alone QAM capable receiver. Note: You must be a subscriber to at least basic cable service.
76-1 KSAZ-10 (FOX)
76-2 KASW-61 (WB)
79-1 KNXV-15 (ABC)
79-2 KPHO-5 (CBS)
82-1 KPNX-12 (NBC)
82-2 KAET-8 (PBS)
82-3 KAET-8 (PBS-Kids/PBS)

However, I'm unable to get my tuner to lock on any of those channels, connected directly to my cable connection.

OTA works fine, Cable does not.

I was hoping someone could confirm it was working but now doesn't, or does but you called Cox and they unfiltered.. or something.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page