2Likes

post #1171 of 11192 Old 12-15-2005, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndnkjns View Post

I'm up in North Phoenix, trying to figure out the best way to get local HD channels. I'm debating staying with Directv or moving to Cox.

If I were to purchase the the Hughes HR10250 Directv Tivo, will I need a new unit when Directv makes the local channels available from the satellite? Or, am I misunderstanding?

Also, in the meantime, does anyone know if it's true that Directv will let me have the Los Angeles feeds of NBC, CBS, Fox, and WB?

Thanks!

That is a good question. As soon as I get PO'd at DirectV, I think of moving to Cox and I see a whole bunch of complaints about the set top box and Cox HD signals. So that is not a true grass is greener situation.

You will need a new unit from DirectV for the new satellite, but I understand it is free. It is not a Tivo however. Whether or not you will be able to keep your Tivo and still get the new unit free, is yet to be decided I believe.

You may not get the West Coast feeds of all. But you will get ABCW and FOXW, as I have done. That is partial satisfaction until we get the new satellite rollout in 6 months for so. Than you and I will have to decide how we will use our Tivos.

I do hear that my $1000 Tivo is now available from DirectV for $200 if you ask enough. So that may be your answer.

You may be able to get local HD off the air with an antenna. I cannot as I am behind a mountain in N Scottsdale.

Good Luck,

Perry

Perry

Perry Kincy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 11192 Old 12-15-2005, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkincy View Post

That is a good question. As soon as I get PO'd at DirecTV, I think of moving to Cox and I see a whole bunch of complaints about the set top box and Cox HD signals....

I don't know what posts you are referring to, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Cox HD signal here. There is also nothing significantly wrong with their set-top boxes either, though some people have difficulties, particularly with HDMI/HDCP depending on their HDTV, etc., but most eventually figure things out or get a replacement box. Also, many former Tivo users don't like the interface and lack of a Wishlist, something that is getting better but may never equate to Tivo's. There are also those who want to use Firewire for recording and that is not currently supported on the Cox DVR, but is on the non-DVR HD box.

Quote:

You may not get the West Coast feeds of all. But you will get ABCW and FOXW, as I have done.

That will probably only last until HD locals are available via sat, should be first half of 2006 or so. I don't think the list of the next round of markets is available yet.

FWIW, I don't care if anyone switches to/from Cox/D*, I just want to make sure the information being provided is correct.

Cheers, Dave
post #1173 of 11192 Old 12-15-2005, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkincy View Post

You may not get the West Coast feeds of all. But you will get ABCW and FOXW, as I have done. That is partial satisfaction until we get the new satellite rollout in 6 months for so. Than you and I will have to decide how we will use our Tivos.

Don't know how you managed to get the ABC west feed, but it certainly won't be given to any new subscribers these days. KNXV was one of the pioneers in broadcasting HD (and not much has changed with their broadcasts since then ), and they don't sign waivers for DNS.

I've scanned the local threads for most of the markets in the first wave of MPEG4 rollouts, and there seem to be more than a few problems with it. In addition, D* will not be carrying PBS or WB (at least for now), so if having those channels in HD is important to you, Cox and OTA are your choices.
post #1174 of 11192 Old 12-16-2005, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

Don't know how you managed to get the ABC west feed...

It would have to be a happy mistake (Shhhhh! Don't let on!) The only DNS you are legally eligible for is KTTV-DT in LA (FOX) and that is only because FOX owns KSAZ. ABC would have to own KNXV for DTV subs to be eligible for that.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
post #1175 of 11192 Old 12-16-2005, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCat View Post

ABC would have to own KNXV for DTV subs to be eligible for that.

If only that would happen...there might be a competent staff with reliable equipment so we wouldn't see the same screwup over and over and over and over and over again...the echoing audio was back and worse than ever tonight. I know this is all new technology, but how hard is it to fix the same problem that's been happening for like 8 months?
post #1176 of 11192 Old 12-17-2005, 07:03 AM

I have cox cable in Phoenix ( well actualy Glendale a suburb of Phoenix). My cable box from Cox is Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250HD.

Im a noob on the subject, but am wondering if I would be able to record HD via firewire to my PC with this? Does Cox block the recording in this area? Is the firewire connection working on the box? If not does COX provide any boxes with firewire for the HD in this area? Or am I stuck having to get the HD DVR from Cox and being limited to its small storage?

Thanks in advance for any information
post #1177 of 11192 Old 12-17-2005, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

mstrwayne,

I live in Phoenix, and have Cox basic cable. Unfortunately, I don't know whether or not that set-top box supports firewire to HTPC. However, Cox must abide by law to provide a set-top box that does support firewire out.

You should be able to find the make/model of set-top box and ask (perhaps demand) for a replacement.

- Steve O.
post #1178 of 11192 Old 12-17-2005, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Simple. Techs fix what they know how to fix, and either find out how to, or sit and scratch their heads when they don't. Sometimes even good, motivated techs are at the mercy of vendor support.

I kind of like the illusion you are under that O&O stations might have more-competent staff than affils, and better equipment. Even though this would artificially elevate (or lower) the status of many folks I know, unfortunately that is not a lock.

post #1179 of 11192 Old 12-17-2005, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

FYI: I have just contacted KPHO engineering about pixelation in KPHO-DT since Wednesday. They are usually pretty good about fixing this quickly. But I'm having email issues here at work, so I'm not sure my message got out. Maybe some of the rest of you could alert them as well (addresses in a sticky at the top of the thread).

post #1180 of 11192 Old 12-18-2005, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually, I have a lot of HD-savvy geek friends in O&O ABC cities who see far fewer problems than we do. Sure, NBC O&O stations are just as bad if not worse than other affiliates, but the ABC ones at least tend to have more up-to-date equipment than the ancient stuff at KNXV and at least manage to get HD turned on and have working 5.1 audio all the time. It can't be perfect all the time, but turning on HD and having audio that's listenable is a big step in the right direction.

I emailed Damon at KPHO earlier and got a response back. He's looking for timestamps of breakups so he can check their archive server...I gave him a couple I had handy, but more examples are always helpful so anyone else who has them DVRed that can pass some locations on would be appreciated.
post #1181 of 11192 Old 12-18-2005, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Posts 1176 & 1177 merged in.
post #1182 of 11192 Old 12-18-2005, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Replies to the newly merged posts:

The SA3250 box provided by Cox does work with firewire and is the only one that does. You must subscribe to expanded basic, digital, and HD service to be able to get this box.

You must have the latest version of the firmware for it. You can determine if yours will work by holding down the button in the middle of the + on the front panel till the light comes on, then hitting info. Hit the left arrow. If it takes you to a "1394 information" page, then you're good to go. If it is not, call Cox's tech support and ask that they update the software on your box so you can use firewire. Do not mention that you will be using it to connect to a PC because they won't support it. They need to submit a request for it to be updated, so it might take 24-48 hours for it to happen. Took about 30 minutes for me.
HBO, TNTHD, and PPV will not work, but you should be able to record every other digital channel.

For information on how to record firewire, go read the "How to record via IEEE 1394 (Firewire) to Windows XP" thread right here on AVS.
post #1183 of 11192 Old 12-19-2005, 05:03 PM

Okay, so I called Directv to check on cost for an install.

I was told that the locals were already up for Phoenix and that I would NOT need an over the air antenna. Is this not the case. She also told me that 20 more stations would be on board on the 28th.

Anyone with Directv know the reals story?
post #1184 of 11192 Old 12-19-2005, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

SD locals have been around forever, but HD locals will not be up until next year. At this point, the most popular date for Phoenix seems to be February 15, but nothng official has been announced. Only the big 4 networks have been added in other DMAs so far, so if you want PBS or WB HD, you're still stuck with OTA or cable.
post #1185 of 11192 Old 12-20-2005, 12:04 AM
Advanced Member

Look for an announcement at CES with regard to the next round of HD-LiL's from DirecTV. The rumor is to get the big four networks up and running now and then DirecTV plans to come back in later and add the remaining locals (WB, UPN, PBS) plus RSN's.

"With the advent of high-definition television, home viewers will see actors with extreme clarity and detail. Thus they will demand the stars of "Sex and the City" change their names to "The Golden Girls." -Conan O'Brien, In The Year 2000: Ted Danson Edition-
post #1186 of 11192 Old 12-21-2005, 11:42 AM

Sound is mostly coming out of the right channel? Anyone else noticed this? I shot off an email to Karl Voss, the contact listed in message #1 of the thread.

Thanks,
Dennis
post #1187 of 11192 Old 12-21-2005, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dennis, they are experimenting with some new equipment and trying to help NBC, the network, resolve an issue with 5.1 audio. Not sure how long this will be going on, but bear with them. Fortunately, most things are reruns this week.

Cheers, Dave
post #1188 of 11192 Old 12-22-2005, 04:49 PM

alright so I got a silver sensor antenna and a digital tuner.

Does anyone have any experience with Maricopa?

I checked antenna web and found that I'm 30 miles away.

Is this gonna work? I don't want to break down for directv right now.
post #1189 of 11192 Old 12-22-2005, 04:58 PM

Plug it in and let us know. I'm 16 miles away in Chandler and get pretty much everything other than NBC (KPNX). I've just got an indor Terk bow tie thingy. I'm thinking of a SS to pull in NBC.
post #1190 of 11192 Old 12-22-2005, 05:02 PM

it'll be here in a couple days. I'll let you know
post #1191 of 11192 Old 12-22-2005, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There are so many unknowns that it's impossible to tell whether it will work well or not. Wolffpack is right on the money, plug it in and let everyone know the results, someone has to be the guinea pig. Be advised though that the SS is highly directional, so it may take some minute direction changes to hit the "sweet spot", take it slow and easy.

Cheers, Dave
post #1192 of 11192 Old 12-24-2005, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 34
My christmas present to my sister was a new 42" Samsung DLP. I thought you all might be interested that at about 12th St & Maryland, she gets all the digital stations with a simple set of rabbit ears & a loop, after walking her through setting up the digital stations.

As she watched primetime last night in HD for the first time, he finally "gets" HD and was blown away. Her guests seeing the new TV were equally blown away.
post #1193 of 11192 Old 12-25-2005, 06:14 AM

I live on the west side, just west of the 101 at Camelback. I just upgraded to HD when I picked up the 50" Sony SXBR. So, I upgraded my Directv and had the Directv off-air-antenna installed also. The installer wasn't sure it was going to work from the preferred installation point on the lower eaves of the house, but we tried it. WOW! Were we surprised.

Without a visible direct line-of-sight from the antenna location to the antennas on South Mountain the signals are coming in sharp and clear. There are a few roofs that block the visible path to the antennas, but they are causing no noticeable degradation of signal.

I will be upgrading the HR10-250 HD DVR when the Directv locals come on line, but I definitely have good local reception here at the house.
post #1194 of 11192 Old 12-25-2005, 07:11 AM

john18
No need to wait for the Directv locals via satellite. The HR10-250 uses the antenna you just successfully installed. The next Directv DVR due in 2006 will use the satellite to access locals using mpeg4. There are several threads on this in the hardware section.
Enjoy.

John
post #1195 of 11192 Old 12-27-2005, 10:46 AM

Just bought a Sony 42 High Def LCD. I'm a complete newb, but purchased a cheap ($20-$30) VHF/UHF amplified indoor antenna from Radio Shack and all the locals come in perfectly. Only exception is PBS which good, but not quite of the same quality as the others. I'm out in Sun Lakes and am 13 miles from South Mountain. I should add I don't get the local Fox feed, but get it throught Direct's west coast feed.
post #1196 of 11192 Old 12-28-2005, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Much of PBS's widescreen stuff is not in HD, and much of it just isn't all that good (PQ) anyway. They are also multicasting, which adds some motion artifacts.

Sorry you don't get 10.1. I think there should be no terrain-based obstructions between your location and S. Mt., in fact you should be somewhat elevated there. I am willing to bet a Silver Sensor could get you that last missing channel.

post #1197 of 11192 Old 12-29-2005, 05:52 PM

I need to do an install of an HD antenna on the west side of the Phoenix area. Any recommendations for an installer?
post #1198 of 11192 Old 12-29-2005, 08:46 PM

alright, so I've got the silver sensor hooked up with a Pro Brand HD3150Plus digital tuner. Like I'm said , I'm in Maricopa, 30 miles from the towers. All I can say is...... me likey.

I can't believe the signal strength I'm picking up. The antenna is just sitting on my TV stand 3 feet off the ground. I'm new to this , so I don't know if the tuner has anything to do with it or not, but I'm picking up everything but 45.1. I don't care about UPN, so I'm all good.

I'll give a thumbs up to this combo, even 30 miles away. I think it helps that there is absolutely nothing between me and the towers.

Anyway, just thought I'd report.
post #1199 of 11192 Old 12-30-2005, 06:17 AM

Pat, I have Directv and their installer, Ironwood Communications, did my install. I live out near Loop 101 and Camelback. For asthetic reasons I asked the installer to do the install on the lower eaves of the house. He was skeptical but it has worked out fine. I'm not sure if Ironwood does any work other then Directv.
post #1200 of 11192 Old 12-30-2005, 02:54 PM

Just one question. Would an in-line amplifier help my signal? I'd like to get all the stations and improve the strength a little?

Do they do any good on a straight OTA antenna connection? (No satellite)
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page