2Likes

post #1 of 11192 Old 08-07-2004, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Local Digital TV Listings can be found at a couple of websites:

-- Rabbit Ears. This site contains a list of local channels, plus added information for those interested in more detailed data.

-- Silicon Dust. This site also contains a list of local channels. One option in the upper left displays the Actual Channel Number, Virtual Channel Number, Name, Resolution, and Aspect Ratio. A second option displays Cox Cable QAM256 channel informations for those, like me, who don't use a Cox tuner on all TVs.

Cox Cable Channel Lineup can be found at the Cox Communications website. This list denotes channels that are High Definition, those that are switched digital video (SDV) and those that are available with just a clear QAM tuner.

Qwest and DirecTV Channel Lineups can be found at the DirecTV website.

An HDTV DVR Comparison Chart can be found in this AVS thread.

Some Points of Contact are listed below, but the information may be outdated and is intended only to give you a starting point to get answers to questions/concerns.

KTVK-DT (IND 3) POC:
Jim Cole: jim_cole@azfamily.com (602-207-3369)
http://www.azfamily.com/on-tv/contact/

KPHO-DT (CBS 5) POC:
General Manager: cbs5gm@news5.tv
Technical: cbs5eng@news5.tv
Seth Parker (Programming Director): Seth.Parker@kpho.com
Jon Thorwaldson (Engineering Supervisor): Jon.Thorwaldson@kpho.com
Ed Sutton?? (Head Engineer): esutton@mdp.com

KAET-DT (PBS 8) POC:
eight@asu.edu
Viewer Services: 480-965-2308
Reception Problems: 480-965-8888
Reception Problems (after hours): 480-965-0155

KSAZ-DT (FOX 10) POC:
Gerry Grunig: ggrun926@foxtv.com (602-262-5106)
Jim McDermaid: jmcde276@foxtv.com (602-262-5122)
Tom Lewis: tom.lewis@foxtv.com
Master Control: 602-262-5119/5128

KPNX-DT (NBC 12) POC:
http://www.azcentral.com/12news/contact/
Karl Voss: kvoss@kpnx.com (602-261-6148)

KNXV-DT (ABC 15) POC:
Ryan Stewart: rstewart@abc15.com
Programming - Programming@abc15.com
Engineering - engineering@abc15.com
Charles Whitlatch (Transmission Systems Engineer): cwhitlatch@abc15.com

KUTP-DT (MN 45) POC:
Gerry Grunig: ggrun926@foxtv.com (602-262-5106)
Jim McDermaid: jmcde276@foxtv.com (602-262-5122)
Tom Lewis: tom.lewis@foxtv.com
Master Control: 602-262-5119/5128
http://www.upn45phoenix.com/about/contact.shtml

KASW-DT (CW 61) POC:
Jim Cole: jim_cole@azfamily.com (602-207-3369)
http://www.quick6.com/
NOTE: If program is not in HD, try calling the main number (602-207-3333, press 1 to get to the newsroom, then ask to be transferred to engineering.

Cheers, Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11192 Old 09-29-2004, 05:19 AM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OMG, there is a Phoenix hd thread on AVS. Glad to see this thread. Bill I also leave in Chandler near Queen Creek Rd and Alma School. I'm in an apartment using Directivo but no Directv hd. I had Directv hd in Jacksonville where I lived a couple of months ago and I had the Samsung TS360. The TS360 is weird in the way the digital channels load so you may have to play with. Have you tried to load the channels digital channels yet?

I got a new Mits CRT about a month ago and I'm using the OTA tuner in it to get the OTA channels. I had to move the antenna around from spot to spot but I do get all of the available channels, but not all at the same time.

Have you tried to go to antennaweb.org and enter your address so that it gives the correct orientation that the antenna should be at? Try that b/c you should be able to get be able to at least get 10,15 and 61. You may have to turn the antenna a bit. I'm able to get those channels using a settop antenna connected to a amp and I live in an apartment, but I if I get 61 I may lose 15 and I have to turn the antenna again to get 15 so just be aware of that.

Also, if you want some suggestions for a indoor antenna, Home Theater Magazine did a test of the best indoor antennas a couple of months ago. I still have that issue if you're interested in what antennas they tested. Are you using and outdoor or indoor antenna? You also may want to try a variable gain amp depending on what antenna you get. I know Rat Shack has a couple of antennas that already have built in amps.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #3 of 11192 Old 09-29-2004, 06:29 AM

Liked: 10
Glad to see this Pheonix thread as well. I currently live in St Louis, but plan to retire to the Prescott, Az area. Any one know what the OTA reception is like North of Phoenix?

"Screaming!?!? A great many dramatic situations begin with screaming!"
post #4 of 11192 Old 10-04-2004, 11:23 AM

This is great, a HD antenna thread specific for Phoenix. Exactly what I needed. PatrickM, I live in Gilbert too, I was looking at that Radio Shack antenna but the local Radio Shack didn't have it this weekend. If it works good for you, I'll give it a whirl. Gotta love this forum.

Bruzer
post #5 of 11192 Old 10-06-2004, 08:16 PM

I too am excited to see this PHX HD thread! I am expecting delivery of my first HD set on Saturday (Sony KDF-50WE655) and can't wait to try my hand at digital OTA reception! I have been researching the Winegard SquareShooter and I am also considering the use of a diplexer in order to avoid running another RG6 to the roof... Does anyone have experience with the SquareShooter?, any downside to using diplexers? I have a dual LNB dish feeding my Tivo Sat receiver - do I need to purchase a diplexer designed to combine the signal into both lines from the dish or can I just combine the OTA signal and one of the lines from the dish? Would love to hear about anyone elses experiences with the above. Thanks -- I'll post as I begin this new experience... Oh, I live near FLW and the 101 and have a generally clear view of S Mtn with exception of Camelback Mtn mid valley.
post #6 of 11192 Old 10-06-2004, 09:58 PM

Sheer Luck I live in dewey, about 16 miles south of prescott and am picking up 3-1,5-1,8-1,10-1,12-1,15-1 with just a cheep outside antenna, 4 ft. long and 12 elements and the antenna is a vhf. I do get some micro freezing on 15-1 when watching lost and mnf in HD, could be the wind shaking the antenna or I need a better one. frankie d
post #7 of 11192 Old 10-09-2004, 06:54 AM

There is no Phoenix Cox thread so I'm posting my question here. I apologize if this is the wrong place.

My question is what is the minimum package that Cox offers that includes HD? Just the locals would be fine. Also, does it require digital cable or is analog sufficient?

btw, this will be for N. Scottsdale

Thanks
post #8 of 11192 Old 10-09-2004, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Originally posted by ned215
There is no Phoenix Cox thread so I'm posting my question here. I apologize if this is the wrong place.

My question is what is the minimum package that Cox offers that includes HD? Just the locals would be fine. Also, does it require digital cable or is analog sufficient?

btw, this will be for N. Scottsdale

Thanks

For future reference "HDTV" threads are for all HD issues in an area - OTA, Cable, etc. - so this is the right place.
post #9 of 11192 Old 10-10-2004, 05:45 PM

I'm glad to see this thread too.

I'm no expert on any of this HDTV stuff, but it's been my observation that the Samsung TS360 is not as good as other receivers for picking up OTA broadcasts. Maybe that is the problem for a few of the other posters in this thread too.

I originally had a Sony SAT-HD300 HDTV receiver, and I was able to get all the digital stations no problem with a pair of rabbit ears on top of my set. But that receiver had a malfunction trying to get HDTV satellite signals, so DirecTV sent me the Samsung TS360 to replace it with which fixed my satellite problem, but it seems real finicky with OTA signals.

The TS360 couldn't lock onto some of the stations with rabbit ears, so I now put a Channel Master 4221 4-Bay antenna in the attic and locked onto 10 stations, but it still drops out of Fox 10, WB 61, and channel 5 on occasion. The weird part about channel 5, is that I got it strong all week without a problem, but when the HD football game was played on Sunday it would constantly lose the signal. Then after the game when normal SD was broadcast on channel 5, it picked it up no problem the rest of the day.

Is an HD signal somehow harder for a receiver to lock on and pick up compared to a regular SD signal? I wouldn't think so, but I can't figure out why channel 5 has been fine all week and all day today except during the HD football game when it constantly lost the signal and made it unwatchable. The weather didn't seem any different to me.

The signal strength meter on the TS360 is pretty much useless too compared to the Sony SAT-HD300 receiver, as the TS360 bounces around all over the place. So it's hard to tell what's going on there.

I live in Chandler near Alma School & Elliot, about 12 miles from all the towers. You'd think since most of the towers are in the same spot on top of a mountain, and close by, that we wouldn't have any trouble getting signals over the air. But I'm having grief with this TS360 that I wasn't with my Sony. I don't really want to spend money on a better receiver at the moment either to try to pick up OTA signals. I also wonder if we have some kind of interference in the area? Because I would think we should be able to pick up stations no problem with all the towers so close and on top of the mountain.

I was curious if anyone knew if we in the Phoenix area will eventually be able to get CBS HD and NBC HD over the satellite any time soon? It's offered in other markets, but for some reason it's not currently offered in the Phoenix market.
post #10 of 11192 Old 10-10-2004, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by crashairlines
I was curious if anyone knew if we in the Phoenix area will eventually be able to get CBS HD and NBC HD over the satellite any time soon? It's offered in other markets, but for some reason it's not currently offered in the Phoenix market.

The way I understand it Phoenix will only be entitled to FOX HD since KSAZ Channel 10 is a Fox O&O station.

LarryInAz
- TiVo-holic since '99 -
post #11 of 11192 Old 10-10-2004, 06:45 PM

Do all of you who get digital Fox 10 OTA get the picture cut off at the top and bottom of the screen? At first I thought my GWIII was setup wrong, but it's the only station that does it, even when I shrink the picture.

Fox seems to have some problems. I also get some sound quality problems at times too with Fox for some reason.
post #12 of 11192 Old 10-10-2004, 06:51 PM

I'm not seeing what you're describing at this moment [presently watching the Dodgers v Cards game in HD]. The framing of the picture looks good on my 1080i. However about two weeks ago I did see a similar picture that was clipped on the top and bottom - turns out when the station returned from a local station break they did not return to HD but a streched out SD signal.

LarryInAz
- TiVo-holic since '99 -
post #13 of 11192 Old 10-10-2004, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryInAz
The way I understand it Phoenix will only be entitled to FOX HD since KSAZ Channel 10 is a Fox O&O station.

Thanks for the info, but I don't understand why that makes a difference for being able to get Fox HD but not CBS HD or NBC HD over the satellite.
post #14 of 11192 Old 10-10-2004, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I'm not seeing what you're describing at this moment [presently watching the Dodgers v Cards game in HD]. The framing of the picture looks good on my 1080i. However about two weeks ago I did see a similar picture that was clipped on the top and bottom - turns out when the station returned from a local station break they did not return to HD but a streched out SD signal.

I should have clarified. It doesn't happen to me when they do HD or widescreen format, but the bottom gets chopped off in Fox in when they show SD. I notice it mostly during the news, as the Fox logo gets chopped off on the bottom.
post #15 of 11192 Old 10-10-2004, 07:04 PM

I will try and pay closer attention to the non HD broadcasts - though to be honest I rarely watch OTA 10.1 unless it is a HD broadcast. The nonHD stuff I usually watch the Sat feed.

As to your question about the audio - is this a recent issue you're asking about? For nearly 2 weeks last month after KSAZ got their splicer going they had major audio problems. About every 5-10 seconds the audio would drop out and then return. It made the channel unwatchable. This is the only audio problem I'm aware of but it has sounded good to me the last few weeks.

LarryInAz
- TiVo-holic since '99 -
post #16 of 11192 Old 10-10-2004, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by crashairlines
Thanks for the info, but I don't understand why that makes a difference for being able to get Fox HD but not CBS HD or NBC HD over the satellite.

The networks can only allow the satellite providers to offer the HD feeds in markets where they own the station. Fox owns their Phoenix affiliate. NBC and CBS do not own their Phoenix affiliates. (The owned stations are usually called "O&O's" in the business...stands for "owned and operated".)

Since Fox controls Phoenix's Fox 10, they can pave the way for satellite subscribers to view the network feed in HD.
post #17 of 11192 Old 10-10-2004, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the info guys.
post #18 of 11192 Old 10-11-2004, 11:29 AM

hey guys. I'm new to this HDTV thing. I just picked up a HDTV Monitor (Sony KP51WS520) and I signed up for the Cox HD service. Overall, im quite happy with the reception I get. However, being a deep down geek im attempting to build an HD PVR out of a spare PC I have with the ATI HD Wonder. The difference is that the HD Wonder doesn't support cable transmissions of HD signals, just OTA.

My question is how good is OTA reception compared to Cable? I live on the corner of Alma School and Chandler, but my apartment faces east (away from south mountain). Is investing in an OTA solution a good idea since I don't have any windows or openings facing south mountain or should I just stick with my cable provider for now? Are there any good indoor antennas that I could possibly use that I can look into?

Thanks for your help.
post #19 of 11192 Old 10-13-2004, 04:06 PM

Hi everyone.
I've also just found this thread.
I'm looking to purchase A Panasonic plasma in the next couple of months and would like to take advantage of the built in ASTC tuner. I have Dish Network, but not HD yet (still want to use my current Dish 508 PVR a little while longer). It seems like most of you live in the southeast valley. I live in central Phoenix (Central & Missouri) and I'm wondering about OTA reception in this part of town. Does anyone have any feed back?
post #20 of 11192 Old 10-18-2004, 03:21 PM

shoot! need another post so I can post urls

Bruzer
post #21 of 11192 Old 10-18-2004, 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by phxbruzer
shoot! need another post so I can post urls

oops I guess 2 more.

Bruzer
post #22 of 11192 Old 10-18-2004, 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by phxbruzer
oops I guess 2 more.

Sorry last one

Bruzer
post #23 of 11192 Old 10-18-2004, 03:30 PM

Quote:

I will try and pay closer attention to the non HD broadcasts - though to be honest I rarely watch OTA 10.1 unless it is a HD broadcast. The nonHD stuff I usually watch the Sat feed.

As to your question about the audio - is this a recent issue you're asking about? For nearly 2 weeks last month after KSAZ got their splicer going they had major audio problems. About every 5-10 seconds the audio would drop out and then return. It made the channel unwatchable. This is the only audio problem I'm aware of but it has sounded good to me the last few weeks.

I haven't had any issues with Fox, since I got my set a couple weeks ago. At least I haven't since I found a good place for my antenna. I bought a cheap Radio Shack one that works great with an amp that Cox had left behind at one of the places I used to live. I have 90s on all channels now.

Here's the antenna I got (Radio Shack part number 930-0998):

I will be throwing it up in the attic soon. I just have to get motivated to go up and drop the cable down to my set. I can't put it on top of my TV or even have it in my living room as the wall behind my set is where a lot of the electrical and water pipes are and it causes way too much interference. Once I moved it to a clean spot, everything lit up beautifully. I still would like to do an antenna where I don't need the amp but, this works great for now. I have to do some research on the amp that I have though. The guy that came out and set up my DirecTV though said it was a really nice one. Heck it brings everything from the upper 60's low 70's up to mid 90's so I guess it's working great.

Bruzer
post #24 of 11192 Old 10-19-2004, 05:56 PM

Hey all,

I'm also happy to see this thread.

I've live in way East Mesa, Crismon and Baseline to be exact. I just bought a 65" mits and I am using the samsung ts360 receiver and get all the SD and HD channels. I use the Zenith Silver Sensor and it works great. What's odd is when I lived in Tempe I actually got much worse reception (and the boucing around effect as mentioned earlier) but now it works nicely.

When I built my house I had them run an extra line to the roof for an antenna hookup but I haven't needed yet.
post #25 of 11192 Old 10-19-2004, 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tj_angel_113
Hey all,

What's odd is when I lived in Tempe I actually got much worse reception (and the boucing around effect as mentioned earlier) but now it works nicely.

That's interesting. I live about 2 miles away from Tempe in Chandler, and only about 12 miles from the antenna towers on South Mountain, yet I had trouble at times with reception.

I also live about half a mile away from big power lines that run through Tempe and Mesa for several miles between Elliot and Guadalupe. I wonder if those power lines are part of the problem with reception?

My reception has improved a lot though the last 2 weeks since I put the Channel Master antenna in my attic. It's basically a 4 bowtie antenna instead of a 2 bowtie antenna like phxbruzer posted. I had the 2 bowtie antenna from Radio Shack and lost the signal more often compared to the channel master antenna. I didn't have much luck with any of the indoor antennas I tried. I always lost a couple of channels.

I haven't lost the signal as much since I installed the Channel Master. I hope it stays that way and that I didn't jinx myself. I still think there is something though in the area near I live that makes it harder to lock onto a signal.

post #26 of 11192 Old 10-24-2004, 05:10 PM

I still can't seem to get decent reception OTA. I have the winegard antenna with the Samsung TS-360 receiver. I live 8 miles from the towers and can see them from where my antenna is placed.

Can I be doing something wrong with my setup? The Dtv installer has the OTA cable plugged into my "cable" input on the TS-360. I changed it to the OTA connection, but I still can't get a signal.

I tried a RS amplifier and that didn't help either.

I'm stumped and the World Series is on Fox and I can't receive Channels 88 or 89 either. Watching the Series on regular Dtv.

Help....
post #27 of 11192 Old 10-25-2004, 12:39 AM

I have heard of individuals using an attunuator. I guess sometimes the signal is too strong. It didnt work for me, but it might be worth a shot. Being real close to the towers MAY make the signals too strong. At lease it seems to make sense.

With that said, I have to rotate my antenna about 15 degrees depending upon which station I want to get. Im using a silver sensor, as that yeilds the best results. Even better than outdoor and amplified antennas. I live in Gilbert near Lindsay and Elliot.

Thanks

Steven
post #28 of 11192 Old 10-25-2004, 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by billsinaz
I still can't seem to get decent reception OTA. I have the winegard antenna with the Samsung TS-360 receiver. I live 8 miles from the towers and can see them from where my antenna is placed.

Can I be doing something wrong with my setup? The Dtv installer has the OTA cable plugged into my "cable" input on the TS-360. I changed it to the OTA connection, but I still can't get a signal.

I'm stumped and the World Series is on Fox and I can't receive Channels 88 or 89 either. Watching the Series on regular Dtv.

Help....

I'm surprised you haven't been getting 88 or 89. I don't get 88, but I do get 89 in HD when the games were on the last week or so and I use the TS-360 too.

I don't think the TS-360 is your main problem, but I think it's a part of the problem for getting stations OTA, as that brand doesn't seem to be as reliable at pulling in stations as other brands like the Sony I had. But since you are only 8 miles away you should still be able to pull in the stations OTA with the TS-360 the majority of the time in my opinion, so I'm not sure what the deal is in your case. Hopefully some others here can give you some good ideas that will help. I'd call DirecTV about why you aren't getting 89 though when the game is being shown, because I've been getting it.
post #29 of 11192 Old 10-25-2004, 05:50 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by billsinaz

Help....

I don't know about the winegard but you may want to try some of the other antennas that people have suggested. I live in Chandler near Queen Creek Rd. & Alma School and the I have a antenna sitting on top of my tv with a amp connected to it. That maybe something that you should try. Connecting a amp I mean. The RS antennas seem to be getting pretty good reviews.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #30 of 11192 Old 11-19-2004, 07:40 AM

Hey guys...
I'm from Apache Junction and currently receiving both OTA (w/ a silver sensor) and HD Cable through Mediacom. Just a few days ago, Mediacom added NBC and ABC (station call sign skipped cause I can't remember) to their HD lineup of channels. I noticed in comparing the OTA and the Cable picture that Mediacom's NBC is "zoomed" in. The blue bar in NBCs broadcast is chopped off by an inch all around. I compared ER episode last night and compared the placement of the NBC logo. It looked zoomed in. My question is...
1. Is this something I can fix on the cable box end? Moto 6208
2. Is this my TV doing it? (RCA F38310)
3. What else can I do if it's none of the above?

Time to dig into the manual and see if there's any zoom functions I'm missing.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page