Forum Jump: 

post #5851 of 6141 Old 02-03-2011, 10:58 AM
AAF
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Local News Anchor Misjudges Width Of HD, Flips Off Co-Worker On Air.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/local-new...worker-on-air/

Maybe I should watch KPRC's news more, sounds entertaining?

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 6141 Old 02-04-2011, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
That's awesome! Thanks for posting!

Chet
post #5853 of 6141 Old 02-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAF View Post

Local News Anchor Misjudges Width Of HD, Flips Off Co-Worker On Air.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/local-new...worker-on-air/

Maybe I should watch KPRC's news more, sounds entertaining?

Maybe he was trying to give a "2" and forgot the extra digit
(of course doing a "35" would be tough to do with one hand)
post #5854 of 6141 Old 02-07-2011, 05:16 PM

Liked: 10
I can not tolerate this fool. A prime example of 'what ever happened to real news and real news broadcasters.' Easy to catch this bombastic fool roll his eyes of literally huff and puff showing disdain during news stories. Time to off this moron but sadly, don't expect much better.
post #5855 of 6141 Old 02-07-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondGuy View Post

I can not tolerate this fool. A prime example of 'what ever happened to real news and real news broadcasters.' Easy to catch this bombastic fool roll his eyes of literally huff and puff showing disdain during news stories. Time to off this moron but sadly, don't expect much better.

I can't disagree more. Owen is one of the reasons I watch the ch. 2 morning news before I go to work. I really enjoy catching his occasional, off-the-cuff comedic remarks.
post #5856 of 6141 Old 02-14-2011, 09:27 AM

Good morning!

I have used the TV Fool and Antennaweb resources to figure out which OTA antenna I should use. Both tools/resources seem to conflict with each other as TV Fool says a standard tv-top antenna will work while antennaweb says a medium outdoor antenna is recommended.

I am near the Hwy 249 and Spring Cypress area and wondered if anyone near that location has any input.

With a new roku box for netflix and other media options, we will like to give Comcast the final boot by going OTA for local TV.

Thanks!

Chris
post #5857 of 6141 Old 02-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx2994 View Post

Good morning!

I have used the TV Fool and Antennaweb resources to figure out which OTA antenna I should use. Both tools/resources seem to conflict with each other as TV Fool says a standard tv-top antenna will work while antennaweb says a medium outdoor antenna is recommended.

I am near the Hwy 249 and Spring Cypress area and wondered if anyone near that location has any input.

With a new roku box for netflix and other media options, we will like to give Comcast the final boot by going OTA for local TV.

Thanks!

Chris

I would think that an indoor TV-top antenna would be worthless in your area, too far from the transmitters and heavy trees. I live near I45 & Louetta (near Splashtown) and I have a very large outdoor antenna mounted about 15' AGL with a pre-amp system. I am not suggesting that level of system since it was originally designed to drive a combination of several (4-5) analog and digital TVs in our house.

You can always try a TV-top antenna; nothing to lose except the time required to return it to get your money back. Even if you are only going to connect one TV to your antenna, an outdoor antenna would be your best solution.
post #5858 of 6141 Old 02-14-2011, 10:00 AM

Greetings Chris, welcome to AVS :welcome:

Just off the top of my head, I'd say that it would be stretching things with an Indoor from your location. But, how about pasting your TVFool link into your next post, and we'll take a look, ok.

Have a good Day !
S.W.

Good Golf, Good HD'ing, and anything else that makes you happy ! :-)
post #5859 of 6141 Old 02-14-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx2994 View Post

Good morning!

Thanks!

Chris

You will probably not be happy with a set top antenna. I am nearby and use an old, fairly high gain, antenna inside my attic (no radiant barrier) and can receive the major locals. However, attics can really reduce the signal strength and an outside antenna would be better. You are about 35 miles from the antenna farm and one of the newer (channel 7 - 69) antennas designed for that range should do the job. Since 3 locals are still on the high VHF band (channels 7-13) I would not recommend a UHF only antenna
post #5860 of 6141 Old 02-14-2011, 10:46 AM

Thanks...I figured a tv top was a bit of a stretch being so far north.

Attached is the TV Fool results.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWHouston View Post

Greetings Chris, welcome to AVS :welcome:

Just off the top of my head, I'd say that it would be stretching things with an Indoor from your location. But, how about pasting your TVFool link into your next post, and we'll take a look, ok.

Have a good Day !
S.W.

LL
post #5861 of 6141 Old 02-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Tonight on KHOU at 11:35, Jeopardy starts the 3 day event with the IBM Supercomputer, Watson, as a contestant! PBS had a show about it last week (NOVA? Not sure but I think it was)...This week is the actual contest....Already saw 1st part today (on 4.1 Beaumont)...They have two of Jeopardy's top players compete with Watson......It is very interesting!!
post #5862 of 6141 Old 02-14-2011, 11:51 PM

Chris,

That's not a bad looking Chart at all... I've seen a lot worse !

I can see the possibility of you getting about 30 (or more) Channels with Subs, and the weakest one (IMHO) that you'll probably be interested in, is our ABC Channel 13 KTRK. Most of the channels which are below it in strength, are Low Power or Foreign Language.

So, as stated previously, you'll need a "Modified" Antenna, which receives Hi-VHF and UHF (Ch 7-69).

You apparently have a very direct view (that's what the LOS means) of the Antenna Farm at Missouri City. Your chart indicates that with the numerous channels available at an Azimuth of 170°. That means that you can receive those (approx) 30 channels, with a stationary setting. This "pointed just one direction", usually satisfies most, but, if you have an interest in a wider range of channels, you would need to consider installing a Rotator, and a larger Antenna than to just receive the Mo City group. Adding this feature, will increase the cost of installation at least $100+.

Assuming a single direction setting...
There are a BUNCH of Antennas which would work for you. I'm kinda old fashioned, and tend to recommend those of established Manufacturers, like Winegard or Channel Master, but that is your decision.

I noticed on your Chart, that you had not entered the Height of the installation. That being an Attic install, or Rooftop. If you're limited by any HOA regulations, an Attic install is possible, but, I assure you a Rooftop will get you a LOT better reception. I'm in a HOA myself, and there are Federal Regulations which permit you to install just about any antenna you want on your Roof. BUT, you got to get along with your neighbors, which is why I decided to go with an Attic install myself. Again, your choice.

So, given the location of of the installation, will "flex" the cost and type of parts necessary to get you going. So, let me sorta make a List of things, where you can do a search on the Internet, for related cost.

++++++++++++++++++
Antenna 1: Rooftop, smaller, 7-69, 50 mi range
Antenna 2: Attic, larger, 7-69, 70-100 mi range, to punch through shingles.
(both of these are actually Outdoor Antennas)

Mount, Rooftop, Tripod, Eaves, J-Pipe, depending on convenience.
Mount, Attic, can be hand made, or just hung from some Nylon Cord.

Balun, for either antenna, is a "transformer" from the antenna to Coaxial Cable.
(careful not all Antennas come with one of these, check to be sure)

Coaxial Cable, RJ-6, ?# ft, from Antenna to TV or first Splitter to System.

Splitter, ?# TV's.

Coaxial Cables, RJ-6, optional, ?# ft, Splitter to TV's, dependent on System requirements.

Wall Plate(s), depending on System requirements.
+++++++++++++++++++

Now, I'm assuming (which is dangerous ) that you already have newer Digital TV(s). But if not, then you will have to have "Converter" Box(s) to change the newer ATSC signal, to the old NTSC for your Analog Sets. If this is the case, there is other Cabling requirements to add those Boxs.

So, you need to decide if you're going with an Attic or Rooftop, then, furnish me with that information. Also tell me if your TV is Digital or Analog, and how many TV's you will eventually hook up.

I encourage you to start a "basic" search in the Internet for the above components. Look at the Pictures, and see (from the above Channel/Range information) which Antenna you like. Again, there are LOTS of antennas which will work, and if you wish, I can recommend a few, but as stated, I'll need the required information first.

Have a good Day !
S.W.

post #5863 of 6141 Old 02-19-2011, 07:33 PM

Hi there Bob. I see that Saturday's newscast had a slight audio glitch ( there was no audio) that manifested only on 39.1 and Dish Hd retransmission. About 11 minutes into the newscast, audio was restored. I would like to have a contact number so if this ever happens again I can contact the party that could rectify the problem ( There are older numbers on this thread but your station is not listed.) I prefer to watch 9pm newscast so that leaves your station and Fox for my news fix. And I might add I prefer not to watch Fox unless forced.
post #5864 of 6141 Old 02-20-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug7669 View Post

Hi there Bob. I see that Saturday's newscast had a slight audio glitch ( there was no audio) that manifested only on 39.1 and Dish Hd retransmission. About 11 minutes into the newscast, audio was restored. I would like to have a contact number so if this ever happens again I can contact the party that could rectify the problem ( There are older numbers on this thread but your station is not listed.) I prefer to watch 9pm newscast so that leaves your station and Fox for my news fix. And I might add I prefer not to watch Fox unless forced.

I think the Bob you are referring to is with KUHT - Ch-8 these days. Ch-39 has gone down in quality since he left.

Larry
post #5865 of 6141 Old 02-21-2011, 06:01 PM

yes that was who I was referring to. I was not aware of his move. Thank you for the update.
post #5866 of 6141 Old 02-24-2011, 09:30 AM

anyone getting the TVGOS data stream from the KHOU OTA?
post #5867 of 6141 Old 02-24-2011, 03:46 PM

TVGOS is coming in fine for me.

Country Music Fans:

You might try tuning into channel 46 again - seems like they have a stonger signal now.
post #5868 of 6141 Old 02-24-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy416us View Post

TVGOS is coming in fine for me.

Country Music Fans:

You might try tuning into channel 46 again - seems like they have a stonger signal now.

Andy,

What are you using to get TVGOS(TV, DVR, ?) and what channel is listed as your Host TVGOS channel? Is it 11.1?

Thanks.
post #5869 of 6141 Old 02-24-2011, 05:07 PM

Using a DTVPal DVR. I'm pretty sure 11.1/KHOU streams TVGOS data in Houston.
post #5870 of 6141 Old 02-25-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy416us View Post

Using a DTVPal DVR. I'm pretty sure 11.1/KHOU streams TVGOS data in Houston.

Do you have DISH or are you using the DTVPal only for OTA?
And yes, KHOU is the place in Houston but for some reason my Sony DHG can't read/receive what KHOU is sending. (see edit below)

EDIT: discontinued Comcast, pulled their CableCard and shazam... a grid/guide appeared. Don't know why yet though....?
post #5871 of 6141 Old 02-25-2011, 09:50 AM

Just a DTVPal DVR for OTA only. Glad you got your guide working.
post #5872 of 6141 Old 02-25-2011, 10:04 AM

Fellas, if one of you might know...

I have a DTVPal DVR on my OTA, but, I have Comcast as well.
I've been using an older JVC DVR/Hard Drive on Comcast, and I'd like to replace it.
Do any of you know if there is a Unit available, that has a Hard Drive and QAM Tuner?

Have a good Day !
S.W.

post #5873 of 6141 Old 02-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylmc View Post

I live in Montgomery (West of Conroe, North of the Woodlands). I'm in the middle of tall pine trees and am able to get all the major channels. NBC, ABC, Fox, UPN, PBS, CBS. Ch. 39 is pixelated most of the time, but luckily I don't watch much on it.

What antenna and how high off the ground?

I'm in April Sound. TV Fool says it's marginal.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...c77a0f98142797

I'm wondering if the Antenna Direct DB8, amplified, on my one-story roof would work.

My elevation is maybe 30 or 40 feet above the lake. I'm near the top of a hill but on the north side of it. The one-story house south of me on the top of the hill is probably 20 feet higher than my place.
post #5874 of 6141 Old 02-25-2011, 07:03 PM

The DB8 is a UHF antenna. It might work pretty well for all except 8, 11, and 13.
post #5875 of 6141 Old 02-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty-KUHT View Post

The DB8 is a UHF antenna. It might work pretty well for all except 8, 11, and 13.

Thanks, I had missed that. What antenna would be best for VHF/UHF reception 57 miles (or so) from the Houston antenna farm?
post #5876 of 6141 Old 02-25-2011, 07:35 PM

DBC,
Might think about a...
Antennacraft HBU33 or
ChannelMaster 2020 or
Winegard HD7698P

post #5877 of 6141 Old 02-26-2011, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 60
On the high-VHF band, the DB8 fair on channel 13, poor on channel 11, and downright lousy by the time you get to channel 8.

I made some field measurements last spring from which I was able to guesstimate it to have about -15 dB gain on channel 12 and about -20-25 on channel 8. It also exhibited higher gain off the back than off the front on the VHF channels.

You might get away with (for VHF) if you have the available signal margin, but, since it's generally a "long-range" UHF antenna, it's generally not useful for VHF in those situations. A simple cut-to-band dipole will do dramatically better. Paired with a good high-VHF antenna, it does make a good half of a very effective combo that isn't 10-14' in length
post #5878 of 6141 Old 02-26-2011, 08:36 AM

SHO,

So what you're saying is, don't use
a DB8 and a YA-6713 together, ghosting right ?
Or would a USVJ correct that.

post #5879 of 6141 Old 02-26-2011, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

SHO,

Use a UVSJ plus an appropriate high-VHF antenna (with the DB8) for a alternative to a combo antenna for 7-69. Works well provided each antenna is appropriately selected.

The UVSJ is needed to prevent the antennas from contributing out-of-desired-band signals from the wrong antenna.
post #5880 of 6141 Old 02-27-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:

SHO,

Ghosting on digital?

Larry
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page