Houston, TX - OTA - Page 2 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > HDTV > Local HDTV Info and Reception > Houston, TX - OTA

Local HDTV Info and Reception

krboo's Avatar krboo
09:42 AM Liked: 10
post #31 of 6152
10-08-2004 | Posts: 206
Ursa, I also live in Pearland and can receive every channel no prob with a silver sensor on top of the entertainment center.
mbenrud's Avatar mbenrud
11:04 AM Liked: 10
post #32 of 6152
10-08-2004 | Posts: 1
I live in the West Montrose area, and would like to receive the OTA HD channels. Has anyone had luck in receiving these signals in town. I live in a one story home, but the house to the south of me is two stories high, and there are a lot of tall Oak Trees in the neighborhood. Do I need an antenna that is at least two stories high? What are my chances to get these signals?
Thanks,
Mike
Ursa's Avatar Ursa
01:55 PM Liked: 10
post #33 of 6152
10-08-2004 | Posts: 5,001
Mike - I think we're neighbors. My Channel Master 4-bay bowtie (4224?) antenna with a Channel Master preamp (7778; though I'd recommend the cheaper and better 7777) picks up pretty much everything in the antenna farm, and it is receiving it through a two story house across the street. You may need to get some elevation, but you do have a good shot if you can aim the antenna properly (get a decent compass from Academy).

Frank - my list was a snapshot from what my (former) receiver could pull-in. I think the major issue is capturing which sub-channels are out there and what they contain, rather than getting the exact label (and this should pretty quickly mark me as Not An Engineer(tm) ). As I said, I'd rather not change the list since we've decided to stick with the proposed format. However, if the group wants it, then send me the edits in the appropriate format and I'll paste them in (I'm between HD tuners right now, so I'm unable to test things myself).

This link is what I was using to get data (and to link in to the FCC's database): http://www.tvradioworld.com/region1/...tion.asp?m=hou

krboo - Are you sure you are receiving every channel? Even digital 5? I'm a bit skeptical that MoCity folks are getting the Montgomery County stuff (low power and too far) without a significant antenna of their own.

Later,
Bill
FrankV's Avatar FrankV
09:12 PM Liked: 10
post #34 of 6152
10-08-2004 | Posts: 142
Quote:

Originally posted by Ursa
krboo - Are you sure you are receiving every channel? Even digital 5? I'm a bit skeptical that MoCity folks are getting the Montgomery County stuff (low power and too far) without a significant antenna of their own.

Later,
Bill

Bill,

I am pretty sure KPXB-DT (channel 5 digital) is located in Missouri City with everybody else. Or at least they are supposed to be.

One of the things the FCC is allowing during the digital transition is for every station in the market to pretty much match the coverage of the best station in the market. In Houston, everyone (or at least those whose FCC filings I have read) is trying to match KPRC's analog coverage. Part of that is being located close to the KPRC antenna.

I don't know this for sure, but it is possible that some of those analog stations that were located somewhere other than Missouri City were located where they were because FCC distance requirements from previously existing same channel and adjacent channel stations elsewhere precluded them from being located in Missouri City.

Added later:
Here is a map showing the KPXB-DT location:
http://tiger.census.gov/cgi-bin/mapg...ht=0.5&wid=0.5

The link came from this FCC query page:
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?list=0&facid=58835

Look for "Area Map" under the DT station entry.

Coordinates given as:
29° 34' 15.00" N Latitude
95° 30' 37.00" W Longitude (NAD 27)

Looks like KPXB also has an application in to be allowed to move their analog transmitter (channel 49) to Missouri City as well.
Ursa's Avatar Ursa
10:32 PM Liked: 10
post #35 of 6152
10-08-2004 | Posts: 5,001
Frank - looks like you're right. I'll make the update, but I'm curious, then, as to how many stations really are not in the antenna farm.

Oh, well, off to bed!

Later,
Bill
CFC's Avatar CFC
01:03 PM Liked: 14
post #36 of 6152
10-10-2004 | Posts: 720
How long can we expect KRIV-DT (Fox) to still be breaking up like crazy?
If I recall, Fox has the SuperBowl, I will be one upset dude if they don't fix whatever is causing the constant breakups on the HD feed.
Do we have any news on it?

CFC
wjg's Avatar wjg
04:28 PM Liked: 10
post #37 of 6152
10-10-2004 | Posts: 704
Is it just me or has channel 11 HD gone to crap ??? Tenn-Georgia game Saturday was almost unwatchable. Jets game on now is screen door quality. Two new sub-channels for channel 11 though !! This sucks !!
Ursa's Avatar Ursa
01:19 AM Liked: 10
post #38 of 6152
10-11-2004 | Posts: 5,001
1080i isn't good for sports (as NBC showed during the Olympics) - especially not when you are multicasting. I'd recommend contacting the station manager and chief engineer with a complaint. Be sure to follow the golden rules of customer service: Be Polite, Be Specific and Be Brief.

Later,
Bill

PS: On an unrelated note, should we capture audio broadcasting info as well? This varies a lot, but it seems that only a few sub-channels ever actually use DD.
FrankV's Avatar FrankV
08:09 PM Liked: 10
post #39 of 6152
10-11-2004 | Posts: 142
Quote:

Originally posted by Ursa
Frank - looks like you're right. I'll make the update, but I'm curious, then, as to how many stations really are not in the antenna farm.

Oh, well, off to bed!

Later,
Bill

Bill,

From what I understand, the only Houston market digital station that will not have its transmitter in the Missouri City area is KLTJ-DT (23 - the Daystar affiliate) which will be co-located with their analog station. That seems to be southwest of Santa Fe.

The analog stations not in Missouri City are 49, 55, 22, 48, 57, and low power channel 30 (K30CV) [which I have never received].
jautor's Avatar jautor
09:46 PM Liked: 393
post #40 of 6152
10-11-2004 | Posts: 8,405
Anyone else having difficulty (i.e. no signal?) from ABC 13-1 (KTRK) tonight? I haven't been able to record anything all night. As soon as the TiVo's not busy, I'll check signal strength, but I'm not having any other problems on any of the other Houston stations... Worked fine yesterday, and obviously their analog station is on the air (at least via DirecTV).

EDIT: Just got through to the station - they're aware of the problem and they're working on it... At least it's not me!

Jeff
Ursa's Avatar Ursa
10:17 PM Liked: 10
post #41 of 6152
Jeff (and anyone who calls in to the station) - did you have to go through any heroic measures to get someone knowledgeable, or did the main number get you through? I think that strategies for getting a hold of The Right Person(tm) would be helpful for folks.

Later,
Bill
Ursa's Avatar Ursa
10:28 PM Liked: 10
post #42 of 6152
Go 'Stros
labmansid's Avatar labmansid
10:40 PM Liked: 10
post #43 of 6152
10-11-2004 | Posts: 1,524
I just found this thread, good job! I was looking mostly because I haven't been able to get KTRK tonight, either. Glad (sort of) it's not my equipment, and that they are aware of the problem. Noticed the added subs on KHOU after I rescanned trying to fix KTRK. That does not bode well for PQ. So far our local CBS, KBTX, has only one channel, so PQ hasn't suffered. They sometimes forget to "flip the switch", especially during football games, however. You guys excited about getting FOX-HD on D* starting tomorrow, or do you have pretty good luck with KRIV OTA? Weather has to cooperate a lot to get it up here. A couple of us were able to watch at least some of the game tonight on KRIV. Later.
Sid
elspankdog's Avatar elspankdog
11:16 PM Liked: 10
post #44 of 6152
10-11-2004 | Posts: 1,467
Nice work Bill! I always wondered why there wasn't a Houston thread besides TWC.

KTRK has until Wednesday to get their act together. Gotta have my Lost.
Ursa's Avatar Ursa
11:18 PM Liked: 10
post #45 of 6152
It never hurts to have more than one "concerned viewer" call in to the station, you know.
bigrig's Avatar bigrig
09:36 AM Liked: 13
post #46 of 6152
10-12-2004 | Posts: 700
Yeah, checking in here to see if I needed to go adjust the antenna, or what.

Tried to tune into MNF last night with the HD Tivo, and couldn't pick up the signal. Checked signal strength, it showed 83, but would drop down every now and then. Hope they fix it soon.

Matt
JKohn's Avatar JKohn
09:53 AM Liked: 10
post #47 of 6152
10-12-2004 | Posts: 2,948
It's really a shame about the picture quality on KHOU. What's especially insulting is that the new subchannel is just running a continuous loop of commercials for their news programs (at least the couple of times I've checked it). I could have sworn KHOU was an O&O previously, but I see now they're actually owned by Belo Corp. I'm guessing this has something to do with the decision to multi-cast.
ckenisell's Avatar ckenisell
11:51 AM Liked: 24
post #48 of 6152
10-12-2004 | Posts: 3,598
Has anyone had problems with KPRC's audio dropping out for about a second every 30 seconds or so? My reciever keeps losing the audio but keeps the video just fine. I think it's only during national feeds, but I'm not home much during the day to check local programming. I suppose I could watch the news tonight and tell. It's kinda like my receiver is having a problem figuring out the 5.1 format. It switches off of Dolby Digital 5.1 and then comes back almost immediately.

I'm in the Spring area, so I may not have a strong enough signal, but I've had it for nearly 2 years with the same setup and it just started this month. It's been doing it now for at least a couple of weeks.

Is it just me?
wjg's Avatar wjg
12:08 PM Liked: 10
post #49 of 6152
10-12-2004 | Posts: 704
Chet,

I live in Spring also but have not noticed any problems. If anything, I have been getting the best OTA signals that I have ever had. I had a new roof put on my house Saturday and while they were up there, they must have kicked something. I have not had to use my rotator since then !!

Bill
12:15 PM Liked: 24
post #50 of 6152
Quote:

Originally posted by wjg
Chet,

I live in Spring also but have not noticed any problems. If anything, I have been getting the best OTA signals that I have ever had. I had a new roof put on my house Saturday and while they were up there, they must have kicked something. I have not had to use my rotator since then !!

Bill

Hmmm....Interesting...Thanks Bill. I guess I'll have to look into a new antenna or something. I have contacted my source at KPRC to see if he has any info.

It's so wierd. It does it no matter the weather. It could be sunny or totally raining. Same problem. I don't want to spend more money on an antenna if I don't have to.
Ursa's Avatar Ursa
03:35 PM Liked: 10
post #51 of 6152
10-12-2004 | Posts: 5,001
Chet - what type of antenna/set-up are you using and did anything happen recently?

On an unrelated note, I will say that for the bandwidth-draining sub-channels, KTRK has the best of the weather radar pics. I actually think the animated lightning bolts are entertaining.

Later,
Bill

PS: Chet - Contact at KPRC? Care to share?
bigrig's Avatar bigrig
04:16 PM Liked: 13
post #52 of 6152
I haven't noticed any dropouts, but I don't watch NBC very often. My wife watches Law&Order, I haven't heard any complaints from her.

Chet, does your receiver have a signal strength meter?

Matt
05:46 PM Liked: 24
post #53 of 6152
Quote:

what type of antenna/set-up are you using and did anything happen recently?

Bill, I haven't changed anything since I put the antenna up over a year ago. I'm not sure what type of antenna I have to be honest. It was a "hand-me-down" from my dad and it has worked just fine since I got it. Maybe you can tell me what kind of antenna it is by looking at it.

Quote:

does your receiver have a signal strength meter?

Unfortunately, no. I have a Mits WS-55511.
05:51 PM Liked: 24
post #54 of 6152
I did contact the guy at KPRC and he said that they, in fact, changed something a couple of weeks ago. He said that another guy wrote in with the same concern and he said the other guy had a Samsung receiver. I do not have a Samsung receiver, but he said he was going to make a few adjustments and I was supposed to report back what I find out. I will watch something tonight on KPRC and let everyone know the outcome.
bigrig's Avatar bigrig
08:07 PM Liked: 13
post #55 of 6152
Hey, is that UHF vane on top of the antenna laying down flat?

It should be angled up, so it and the bottom vane create a "dish" to catch the signal.

Matt
PhilB's Avatar PhilB
08:39 PM Liked: 10
post #56 of 6152
10-12-2004 | Posts: 2,102
Quote:

Originally posted by ckenisell
I did contact the guy at KPRC and he said that they, in fact, changed something a couple of weeks ago. He said that another guy wrote in with the same concern and he said the other guy had a Samsung receiver. I do not have a Samsung receiver, but he said he was going to make a few adjustments and I was supposed to report back what I find out. I will watch something tonight on KPRC and let everyone know the outcome.

Hey Chet,

I'm that other guy. I have the Sammy SIR-T165. I contacted Edgar a couple of weeks ago about this. Finally someone else is reporting it so maybe we can figure out how to diagnose it. So far Edgar had been converned ance helpful but we haven't solved it.

-phil
07:35 AM Liked: 24
post #57 of 6152
10-13-2004 | Posts: 3,598
Yes Phil, it's Edgar. He said that he changed something yesterday. Well, low and behold, I didn't have any audio drop-outs last night at all. Of course, I could only watch Father of the Pride so long before I had to switch to the dish.

Anyway, I'll look again on the top UHF vane. I thought the last time I went on the roof, it was up, but now that I take a closer look at those pictures, you're probably right.

Now, when is KNWS going to get a better signal so us folks in Spring can receive it digitally. I get it via the analog signal, but analog is not the best it can be.
wjg's Avatar wjg
07:41 AM Liked: 10
post #58 of 6152
10-13-2004 | Posts: 704
Fox had a great picture for the Yanks - Sox game last night. I can't wait to see our Astros in HD for the first time tonight !!

Go Astros !!
Ursa's Avatar Ursa
08:15 AM Liked: 10
post #59 of 6152
10-13-2004 | Posts: 5,001
HDTivo...must...come...now!

As for KNWS, over on SatelliteGuys, someone mentioned in the Houston Voom thread that KNWS was only at 1000 feet (I could check the FCC records, but that would be too accurate and boring, and wouldn't generate discussion...) versus 2000 feet for the major channels. So, who's actually getting it North of the Loop and what are you using?

Later,
Bill
wjg's Avatar wjg
08:21 AM Liked: 10
post #60 of 6152
10-13-2004 | Posts: 704
My signal meter actually registered once on KNWS. Spring --Aldine Westfield north of 1960. It registered 5 % ---but it registered !!!!

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Subscribe to this Thread