Houston, TX - OTA - Page 205 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6121 of 6141 Old 09-08-2013, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Technical question for the experts here.

MundoFox (34.1) launched in August 2012 and was in 1080i HD from the start, but two days ago it switched over to SD. There are three subchannels also, but those have always been standard definition.

I called the low-power station that transmits MundoFox out of Missouri City and a guy there said that the "boss" thought it was "too expensive to keep it in HD". Does this make any sense?

Going from low to high-power, yeah, that's costly.... but how is switching off the HD signal saving any money? Here's another thing: The SD broadcast of MundoFox is clearly a down-converted HD image squeezed into a 4:3 frame. So it's not even true SD... they still have the HD signal available to them.

Isn't it just a matter of switching it back to HD?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6122 of 6141 Old 09-09-2013, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My best guess, and someone can correct me if I am wrong, would be that the station had an encoder that failed and needed to be replaced. A HD encoder would cost considerably more than a SD encoder... Anyone else?

You never know where the LIMIT is until you EXCEED it... Dianne B. "Let's try that again... without the oops." (Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in "Independence Day")
post #6123 of 6141 Old 09-18-2013, 11:59 AM

Nevermind. Figured it out.
post #6124 of 6141 Old 11-06-2013, 11:16 PM

Qubo and ION Life off the air?

As of Oct 31, Qubo and Ion Life are MIA from the KPXB 49 (UHF 39) sub-channels. On Qubo's Facebook page they claim they're now on 46.2; at Ion Life’s they said they're now on 46.3 (Neither network has bothered to correct or update their websites with that info).

I understand them to mean KBPX-LD 46 (UHF 46) subchannels 2 and 3, respectively. But I wouldn't know: I cannot and have never received 46 at all. [It's apparently been TCN The Country Network since November 2010]. They've allegedly been broadcasting from the Missouri City antenna farm, but must be incredibly low power.

I wouldn't even care except that my kid likes to watch a couple of shows after 5PM after PBS quits their E/I programming.

Anyone else here able to pick up 46-1, -2, or -3?
post #6125 of 6141 Old 11-07-2013, 06:14 AM

I'm 6 miles from the towers in Pearland, and RF channel 46 doesn't show up on my list. They must be low power.
post #6126 of 6141 Old 01-20-2014, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am in 77090 and get all the usuals and more which I delete to minimize the guide.

Recently, channel 11.1 started ONLY showing DTV Program for every half hour time slot. Going to stop watching that channel....

ON the good side, Fox 26 transmission of the playoiff game on Sunday had NO breakups at all.... if onhly they would do that during the night I'd actually dvr their shows.
post #6127 of 6141 Old 01-20-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Morris View Post

I am in 77090 and get all the usuals and more which I delete to minimize the guide.

Recently, channel 11.1 started ONLY showing DTV Program for every half hour time slot. Going to stop watching that channel....

ON the good side, Fox 26 transmission of the playoiff game on Sunday had NO breakups at all.... if onhly they would do that during the night I'd actually dvr their shows.
I don't ever have problems w/ KRIV. My issue is w/ channel 2. But, I know what the problem is, and I am too lazy to fix it (need to adjust the antenna in my attic.) What is your antenna set up?
post #6128 of 6141 Old 01-20-2014, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am only able to use a small directional antenna and it fires through a building next door to reach the towers down south. I used antennaweb to aim the antenna and get almost all the locals at 75 or more strength... except for fox after dark. And except for the playoff game last night. Maybe they cut power at nightfall except when there is a nationallly watched item which then gets rebroadcast from their OTA?

More problemsome is that channel 11.1 has apparently stopped sending program guide material which is just gonna make me stop watching and recording their shows since I depend on my guide to see what is on that night.

No loss..... as Netflix and Sherlock on PBS easily and more capabily fills the space.
Channel 2 is weaker but doesn't break up near as much as Fox seemed to do in past days.
post #6129 of 6141 Old 01-20-2014, 08:11 PM

Liked: 11
I'm near "George Ranch" in Richmond area and have no problem nor experience any problems.

Larry
post #6130 of 6141 Old 01-20-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Morris View Post

I am only able to use a small directional antenna and it fires through a building next door to reach the towers down south. I used antennaweb to aim the antenna and get almost all the locals at 75 or more strength... except for fox after dark. And except for the playoff game last night. Maybe they cut power at nightfall except when there is a nationallly watched item which then gets rebroadcast from their OTA?

More problemsome is that channel 11.1 has apparently stopped sending program guide material which is just gonna make me stop watching and recording their shows since I depend on my guide to see what is on that night.

No loss..... as Netflix and Sherlock on PBS easily and more capabily fills the space.
Channel 2 is weaker but doesn't break up near as much as Fox seemed to do in past days.
TV stations don't cut transmission power at night or anytime of the day. The only time they'll cut power is if they are performing maintenance on the tower/antenna. More likely, is you're experiencing changes that happen due to atmospheric conditions. That's my best guess. Even a nearby tree can make a difference - if it's in the way.
post #6131 of 6141 Old 02-02-2014, 08:12 AM
kwg

67.2 getTV is finally on the air.

http://get.tv/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GetTV
post #6132 of 6141 Old 02-21-2014, 08:34 AM

I'm looking at an HBU22 which covers channels 7-69. NBC is typically channel 2, but a few reception guides I see has it channel 35 digital. What does that mean? I plan on dropping Comcast and relying on OTA signal w/ possibly using an HD Homerun. Can I still watch NBC w/ this? Would I go to channel 35 or 2? What sort of device/antenna puts NBC on ch 2 and ch 35? Just want to make sure I'm understanding this right.
post #6133 of 6141 Old 02-21-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedawg85 View Post

I'm looking at an HBU22 which covers channels 7-69. NBC is typically channel 2, but a few reception guides I see has it channel 35 digital. What does that mean? I plan on dropping Comcast and relying on OTA signal w/ possibly using an HD Homerun. Can I still watch NBC w/ this? Would I go to channel 35 or 2? What sort of device/antenna puts NBC on ch 2 and ch 35? Just want to make sure I'm understanding this right.

Welcome to the world of "virtual" channels. KPRC is no longer on channel 2. They broadcast on UHF channel 35. The data stream they transmit, tells receivers to map it to channel 2.1 etc. Channels 8, 11, and 13 really are still on channels 8, 11, and 13 (all hi VHF). Low VHF (channels 2-6) used to be prime real estate in TV land. They are now considered the ghetto due to electrical interference like lightning or electrical impulse like an AC unit clicking on. Channel 39 is really on channel 38. 20, is on 19. 26 is still on 26. You get the idea. When you do a channel scan, whatevee the tuner picks up, will map to the channels you recognize... Just FYI... I despise virtual channel mapping... wink.gif

You never know where the LIMIT is until you EXCEED it... Dianne B. "Let's try that again... without the oops." (Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in "Independence Day")
post #6134 of 6141 Old 02-21-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAhead View Post

Welcome to the world of "virtual" channels. KPRC is no longer on channel 2. They broadcast on UHF channel 35. The data stream they transmit, tells receivers to map it to channel 2.1 etc. Channels 8, 11, and 13 really are still on channels 8, 11, and 13 (all hi VHF). Low VHF (channels 2-6) used to be prime real estate in TV land. They are now considered the ghetto due to electrical interference like lightning or electrical impulse like an AC unit clicking on. Channel 39 is really on channel 38. 20, is on 19. 26 is still on 26. You get the idea. When you do a channel scan, whatevee the tuner picks up, will map to the channels you recognize... Just FYI... I despise virtual channel mapping... wink.gif

So this antenna that picks up ch 7-69 will correctly pick up ch 35 but map it to ch 2? So, I can watch NBC right.
post #6135 of 6141 Old 02-21-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes. But it would help to post your tvfool report to see your reception report... Go to tvfool.com

I found your tvfool report in the antenna and related hardware thread. You are looking good. I would ne hard pressed to think you would not get all the full power channels as well as a few of the low powers as well...

post #6136 of 6141 Old 03-05-2014, 08:47 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by minivanhalen View Post

Qubo and ION Life off the air?

As of Oct 31, Qubo and Ion Life are MIA from the KPXB 49 (UHF 39) sub-channels. On Qubo's Facebook page they claim they're now on 46.2; at Ion Life’s they said they're now on 46.3 (Neither network has bothered to correct or update their websites with that info).

I understand them to mean KBPX-LD 46 (UHF 46) subchannels 2 and 3, respectively. But I wouldn't know: I cannot and have never received 46 at all. [It's apparently been TCN The Country Network since November 2010]. They've allegedly been broadcasting from the Missouri City antenna farm, but must be incredibly low power.

I wouldn't even care except that my kid likes to watch a couple of shows after 5PM after PBS quits their E/I programming.

Anyone else here able to pick up 46-1, -2, or -3?

I'm in 77088 and I am able to get them. Lot's of pixilation, though. It's a shame as my kids really like qubo.

Using a really old indoor amplified antenna (Radio Shack 15-1838. 15dB gain)
post #6137 of 6141 Old 03-11-2014, 05:35 PM

I live in Spring (really I'm in Klein but my address is listed as Spring).

I recently bought an old Atari 2600 and plugged it into my Mitsubishi 82740 via the coaxial port.

To my shock, the Atari actually pulled in KPRC and KETH. The signal wasn't half bad either. KTRK kept cutting in and out and KIAH might have worked if I played around with the Atari's positioning.

I'm in an apartment complex with a lot of trees surrounding me AND I'm on the first floor so I can only imagine what I could pull in if I was higher up or in a clearer area.

I know this brings pretty much nothing of value or importance to this thread, I just thought it was a neat little fact and this was the only place that might appreciate it.
post #6138 of 6141 Old 03-24-2014, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
hello, newb here. thinking of getting rid of dish and putting up antenna. here is my tvfool report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5b94e274e12780

could I get all the major Houston locals with a clearstream 2-v? how about a CM4228HD? these are the 2 I'm considering. preamp required? thanks for any input.
post #6139 of 6141 Old 03-24-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by brg606 View Post

hello, newb here. thinking of getting rid of dish and putting up antenna. here is my tvfool report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5b94e274e12780

could I get all the major Houston locals with a clearstream 2-v? how about a CM4228HD? these are the 2 I'm considering. preamp required? thanks for any input.

The C2V should work fine. You do not need any amps.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #6140 of 6141 Old 04-01-2014, 08:38 PM

Liked: 35
Does anyone experience constant stuttering on PBS (8.1) this evening? I am inside 610 by the Galleria.

Normally, both of my indoor antennas receive PBS without issues. This evening, the picture stutters constantly on both antennas.
I also tried moving one of the antennas, but it did not resolve the stuttering.

At this point, I am convinced that it is either an issue at PBS station, or there is some kind of interference in my area.

Thanks!
post #6141 of 6141 Old 04-01-2014, 10:08 PM

Liked: 35
Never mind... The stuttering issue went away.

How many HD channels do you guys/gals get?

Not counting Spanish channels, I get 10 following HD channels: NBC (2.1), PBS (8.1), CBS (11.1), ABC (13.1), LiveWell (13.2), MyNetwork (20.1), Fox (26.1), CW (39.1), ION (49.1), and KUBE (57.1).

Am I missing any other HD channels?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page