Houston, TX - OTA - Page 207 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #6181 of 6208 Old 12-03-2015, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 1155
Moved to Houston thread.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.

Last edited by DrDon; 12-03-2015 at 05:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6182 of 6208 Old 01-29-2016, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Send a message via Skype™ to DJboutit
Question What Is The Best Indoor Outdoor Atenna Under $40

I live in Houston TX I get most channels I am trying to get just one more channel I am currently using this radio shack antenna catalog #: 1500246

Antenna is facing south it is infront of a window what is the best indoor outdoor antenna under $40?
post #6183 of 6208 Old 01-29-2016, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 92
post #6184 of 6208 Old 01-29-2016, 12:39 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to DJboutit
Houston TX Southwest Side
TV Dynex
Antenna location infort of window facing south
Antenna tip is 7.5ft high
Coax 3ft
post #6185 of 6208 Old 01-29-2016, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Go to TVFool, put in your address and see what stations you are able to pick up. Then post that information, without your address, to the HDTV Local forum that is specific to your area and see what the folks there are using for antennas. Indoor antennas can be problematic because they are indoors and subject to more interference than an antenna installed outdoors, preferably 30'AGL.
post #6186 of 6208 Old 01-30-2016, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Sooooo.....you must be within 5-8 miles from the Houston Transmitter Group located just outside the Sam Houston Parkway on the S-E Side.....which means you should AVOID using Amplified Antennas. We REALLY need to see your TVFool Report [after entering your location, copy/past RESULTS ADDRESS (URL) from top of browser into a post here]. Also let us know WHICH Station(s) you are NOT getting [one of them is low power located downtown]. And describe your surroundings: do the signals simply come in via a Window with a fairly unobstructed view of the Towers, or does it have to pass through YOUR building....and perhaps numerous buildings surrounding you....

BTW: I summarized various side-by-side tests of various Indoor Antennas HERE:
I'm still using rabbits ear antenna for my HDTV, need better stronger Antenna signal
Note that Post#22 is a link to EV's Excellent Test of dozens of Indoor (and some Outdoor Antennas Indoors)...unfortunately no longer being updated.

There are very few inexpensive INDOOR Antennas that provide significant Front/Back Ratio to suppress Multipath Reflections from the rear. Unfortunately, the Terk HDTVi cited in the tests above is no longer available....although the Amplified HDTVa version still is:
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/zigz...llpdaterkhdtvi
Note that SWR is Excessive in Hi-VHF Band (just like ALL other "TOO-SMALL" UHF Antennas), it provides significantly MORE Raw Gain than Rabbit-Ears on Ch7-13.

Since Unamplified Terk HDTVi is no longer available (maybe on eBay???), the fol. [and Antenna's Direct C1] is about all that is available with significant F/B Ratio for under $40. Although I have analyzed DOZENS of OPTIMIZED LPDA's, I have NOT yet analyzed the fol. Supersonic 5-El Pair LPDA...but would guesstimate that it provides Raw Gain of about 5 dBi (vs 6-7 dBi for Terk HDTVi):
http://www.amazon.com/Supersonic-SC6.../dp/B003IN0GRI
For comparison I DID Optimize and Analylze the fol. DIY 4-El Pair LPDA which OUT-PERFORMS the HDTVi/a...and although SWR is Excessive in Hi-VHF Band, it provides as much Raw Gain as Rabbit-Ears in Hi-VHF Band:
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/zigz...4elflatlpdaopt

Specs for A-D C1:
https://www.antennasdirect.com/cmss_...ecSheet_C1.pdf

Since Hi-VHF (Ch7-13) performance for this (and many FLAT Antennas) may or may NOT not be enough in your location, you might need to combine it with simple NON-Amplified Rabbit-Ears [which you already own] via a low cost VHF/UHF Combiner (e.g. Radio Shack, Antennas Direct and UVSJ from Pico-Macom or Holland).

Last edited by holl_ands; 01-30-2016 at 11:47 AM.
post #6187 of 6208 Old 01-30-2016, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 146
The Terk HDTVa is now called LOGTVa and is still sold at HHG and Fry's. You can remove the amp if it is not needed. It is a good indoor antenna and has rabbit ears for VHF. And Fry's recently had the Clearstream 1 on clearance sale for around $13.99 and it is also a good indoor antenna, but not sure if it is as good for VHF. And some folks have good luck with Mohu Leaf or Winegard Flatwave, but these thin flat panels are pricey and may be problematic based upon location. But the Mohu lets you remove the amp if not needed.
post #6188 of 6208 Old 01-31-2016, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 1155
Threads merged.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #6189 of 6208 Old 01-31-2016, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Lowest price I found for Amplified Terk LOGTVa is $50 from Amazon, so the addition of the AMP resulted in it exceeding the OP's price cap....
BTW, whenever I see a Brandname change, I immediately suspect that design has somehow CHANGED....it's probably from a DIFFERENT (usually Chinese) supplier, so to avoid trademark infringement, the Brandname for the NEW, probably DIFFERENT design must also be changed....

PS: I'm ordering the very inexpensive Supersonic 5-El Pair LPDA and will model it when it arrives in the next few days...IF it is an OPTIMIZED design, as I suspect it MIGHT be, it COULD outperform the Terk 7-el Pair HDTVi (and similar Silver Sensor 7-El Pair LPDA) in the UHF Band.....

If you have somewhere you can HIDE it (behind curtains or in a convenient closet), I have had great success using OUTDOOR Antennas INDOORS [incl. 4-Bays way, way back when I lived in an apartment and my current 8-Bay in an upstairs closet].

Although I haven't (yet) modeled it, the fol. 2-Bay Bowtie is inexpensive and uses the usual cylindrical Transformer Balun, so "sufficiently" strong Hi-VHF signals will ALSO be passed without any further degradation (SWR will be still be excessive, which may or may NOT be an issue). Despite this, a separate Hi-VHF Antenna (e.g. your existing Rabbit-Ears) MAY need to be added via a VHF/UHF Combiner:
http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Aspen-EA...=2-bay+antenna
However I suspect that it is ONE-HALF of a KLONE of the OLD DB-2 [about 13"Hx19"W], which is TOO SMALL for either UHF or Hi-VHF Bands, so YMMV:
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/mult...refl/addb2refl

Xtreme Signal HDB2X 2-Bay Bowtie is apparently larger [16.5"x32"W], which is just what we're looking for, although I have not (yet) seen any dimensions from which a model could be constructed. Gain Specs are in the fol. post....I'm pretty sure it's 7.7 dBd = 9.0 dBi. Note that it uses a Printed Circuit Board (PCB) Balun Box, which is NOT designed to pass whatever Hi-VHF signals are received by the Antenna....so a separate Hi-VHF Antenna (e.g. your existing Rabbit-Ears) MAY (or may NOT) need to be added via a VHF/UHF Combiner....although personally I would first hack the antenna, replacing the PCB Box with the usual Cylindrical Transformer Balun to see if that provides "sufficient" Hi-VHF performance:
http://www.amazon.com/Xtreme-Signal-...=2-bay+antenna
MAY be Close to my OPTIMIZED DIY 2-Bay Bowtie designs:
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/multibay/2bayrefl

Last edited by holl_ands; 01-31-2016 at 02:56 PM.
post #6190 of 6208 Old 04-03-2016, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello friends,

I hope you are doing well. I am located on a wooded lot in Cypress, TX, The next home is a couple of acres away.

Here is my TV fool report

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5134b4827ae1e3

Any suggestions on which antenna would work best?

I can place it indoors or outdoors. I will get a satellite service provider, e.g DISH in due time, but till then, I would like an antenna as I have some guests at my place and they are missing some OTA shows.

Thank you so much,
hulahoop
post #6191 of 6208 Old 05-14-2016, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello everyone.

I recently gave AT&T the boot wanting a ridiculous $165/month for internet plus U300 package. I'm trying to navigate and find an antenna I can use to pick up OTA HD but am completely ignorant having never shopped for one before being completely reliant on a cable. I read the the sticks and produced this report from TV Fool. Any advice?

I'm currently on the top floor (3rd) of an apartment complex so I've got height working for me. I just can't mount it on the roof. It will have to sit near the tv (about five feet from the window) or on the window sill itself.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5134135079824d
post #6192 of 6208 Old 05-14-2016, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph66 View Post
Hello everyone.

I recently gave AT&T the boot wanting a ridiculous $165/month for internet plus U300 package. I'm trying to navigate and find an antenna I can use to pick up OTA HD but am completely ignorant having never shopped for one before being completely reliant on a cable. I read the the sticks and produced this report from TV Fool. Any advice?

I'm currently on the top floor (3rd) of an apartment complex so I've got height working for me. I just can't mount it on the roof. It will have to sit near the tv (about five feet from the window) or on the window sill itself.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5134135079824d
Which direction does your window face? Microcenter has the amplified flat leaf antenna but those are pricing.
If the window faces south with no obstructions (ie other buildings in its path) you should have no problems.

Personally, the ones from monoprice.com are good and inexpensive. I have one similar to #4730 and it worked very well and I'm in Cypress/Tomball area
post #6193 of 6208 Old 05-14-2016, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohertz View Post
Which direction does your window face? Microcenter has the amplified flat leaf antenna but those are pricing.
If the window faces south with no obstructions (ie other buildings in its path) you should have no problems.

Personally, the ones from monoprice.com are good and inexpensive. I have one similar to #4730 and it worked very well and I'm in Cypress/Tomball area
Appreciate the quick reply. Unfortunately my window faces the NE but there are no obstructions as it faces the parking lot.

That Monoprice 4730 is very reasonably priced. Thank you for the suggestion. I guess I'll give it a try and return it if I have no luck.
post #6194 of 6208 Old 05-14-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph66 View Post
Appreciate the quick reply. Unfortunately my window faces the NE but there are no obstructions as it faces the parking lot.

That Monoprice 4730 is very reasonably priced. Thank you for the suggestion. I guess I'll give it a try and return it if I have no luck.
Just remember, the signal is coming from the south. putting it in the window may not help at all. The antenna needs to face south to pick up the signals from the antenna tower!
post #6195 of 6208 Old 05-14-2016, 05:09 PM

Need antenna advice please

Hi everyone, am brand new to this forum so please forgive me if I am not following correct protocol. I tried to figure out how to post a new thread here in the Houston area forum but can only see the Reply to Thread option in this one, no Post New Thread (and there appears to only be one thread consisting of 207 pages instead of multiple independent threads?) so I am definitely confused on how this forum is organized, so please feel free to move it etc.

I live about 80 miles north of Houston just off of US59 in the Lake Livingston area. I just informed DirecTV which part of my anatomy they can kiss so I subscribed to Sling TV and have a free Roku2 device on the way. however I will probably need to get OTA broadcast to pick up network (CBS, etc) stations and therefore need an appropriate digital HDTV antenna. According to TVFool those stations are about 90 miles away so I will probably go with a roof mount antenna about 1 foot over my rooftop (approx. 25 feet high). From Houston to my house is mostly flat terrain, there are a few tall trees near my house but past that is an open lake on the way to the towers (~194degrees). I don't mind a rotating unidirectional as opposed to an omni-directional, I just want a great quality one that will last and pull in those stations well. I live in the sticks so aesthetics are unimportant. I tried to include my TVFool output was unsuccessful apparently because I have less than a 5 post count, but the stations I am concerned about are all NM=0, Pwr=-90, 2-edge, 90 miles.

Again my goals are reception (90 miles), quality and durability. I can budget up to $150 but will go with the cheapest that can meet those goals. Thanks for your recommendations.

- Bruce
post #6196 of 6208 Old 05-14-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelatch View Post
Hi everyone, am brand new to this forum so please forgive me if I am not following correct protocol. I tried to figure out how to post a new thread here in the Houston area forum but can only see the Reply to Thread option in this one, no Post New Thread (and there appears to only be one thread consisting of 207 pages instead of multiple independent threads?) so I am definitely confused on how this forum is organized, so please feel free to move it etc.

I live about 80 miles north of Houston just off of US59 in the Lake Livingston area. I just informed DirecTV which part of my anatomy they can kiss so I subscribed to Sling TV and have a free Roku2 device on the way. however I will probably need to get OTA broadcast to pick up network (CBS, etc) stations and therefore need an appropriate digital HDTV antenna. According to TVFool those stations are about 90 miles away so I will probably go with a roof mount antenna about 1 foot over my rooftop (approx. 25 feet high). From Houston to my house is mostly flat terrain, there are a few tall trees near my house but past that is an open lake on the way to the towers (~194degrees). I don't mind a rotating unidirectional as opposed to an omni-directional, I just want a great quality one that will last and pull in those stations well. I live in the sticks so aesthetics are unimportant. I tried to include my TVFool output was unsuccessful apparently because I have less than a 5 post count, but the stations I am concerned about are all NM=0, Pwr=-90, 2-edge, 90 miles.

Again my goals are reception (90 miles), quality and durability. I can budget up to $150 but will go with the cheapest that can meet those goals. Thanks for your recommendations.

- Bruce
Hi Bruce and welcome to the forum. The threads are organized by region, not by specific issue. This helps things stay organized.
Given what you said, your TV fool probably looks something like this http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...51341093b206d8

To put it simply, you are in the in-between zones of Bryan, Beaumont, Houston and Lufkin/Nacogdoches.
What you lack is line of sight or LOS which means that the height of the broadcast tower can be "seen" over the curvature of the earth.

It would be fairly difficult to receive all Houston station reliably unless you have a 50ft tower. And even then your better off pulling Beaumont than Houston.

You can try an antenna like this
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...treme%20signal

but I wouldn't get my hopes up. And even this antenna will not pull stations like KTRC (ABC13) or KHOU (CBS11) These are VHF stations and this is a UHF antenna.
post #6197 of 6208 Old 05-14-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelatch View Post

- Bruce
I live in the Cleveland area and I have a Weingard HD8200U with a preamp up @ 20' and get most of the Houston stations. This antenna is very directional so you would need a small rotor to turn it. If you get this antenna up @ 30' or more with a rotor and a preamp you should be able to get quite a few channels from Houston and Beaumont. Good luck.
post #6198 of 6208 Old 05-15-2016, 09:15 AM

What do you think about this antenna - Lava HD2605 Ultra 4K? (Sorry can't post the URL because apparently I am not enough of an adult yet to post URLs :-) - until I have 2 more posts). It claims up to 150 mile reception - is that a ridiculous claim? If I put it at 30ft.?
post #6199 of 6208 Old 05-18-2016, 06:05 PM

Kingwood, Texas

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5134e64591db1e

Any reason why my attic mounted channel master 4221 picks up all networks at over 90% strength but only pulls KTRK ABC 13 at 65%?

Robert Christian Barger
post #6200 of 6208 Old 05-18-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbtaw View Post
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5134e64591db1e

Any reason why my attic mounted channel master 4221 picks up all networks at over 90% strength but only pulls KTRK ABC 13 at 65%?

Because it's a uhf antenna. Ktrk is in the vhf band.
post #6201 of 6208 Old 05-18-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohertz View Post
Because it's a uhf antenna. Ktrk is in the vhf band.
Are any of the other channels vhf?

Robert Christian Barger
post #6202 of 6208 Old 05-18-2016, 07:05 PM

Houston, TX - OTA

CBS (khou) and pbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6203 of 6208 Old 05-18-2016, 07:14 PM

Why do I receive those channels at over 95%?

Robert Christian Barger
post #6204 of 6208 Old 05-18-2016, 07:22 PM

ABC13 - KTRK - 1929' @ 32.4KW
CBS11 - KHOU - 1945' @ 60 KW
PBS8 - KUHT - 1856' @ 64.6KW

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php

ABC is half the power than CBS and PBS
post #6205 of 6208 Old 05-29-2016, 05:51 AM

Anybody getting abc 13 KTRK at weaker than normal signal strength this morning?
noshank likes this.

Robert Christian Barger
post #6206 of 6208 Old 05-29-2016, 06:29 AM

Now all channels are low signal fo me.

Robert Christian Barger
post #6207 of 6208 Old 05-29-2016, 09:54 AM

Back to normal. How strange. Do the transmitters go weak every once in a while like that or was it my end in Kingwood?

Robert Christian Barger
post #6208 of 6208 Old 07-08-2016, 03:55 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbtaw View Post
Back to normal. How strange. Do the transmitters go weak every once in a while like that or was it my end in Kingwood?
They do sometimes turn down the power some when preforming maintenance, but if all channels were weak then it was either something on your end or atmospheric conditions. You are on the opposite side of town from them, so I would not be surprised if that was the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception