Houston, TX - OTA - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #181 of 6151 Old 11-05-2004, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ursa - the Pappas Broadcasting is not the same Pappas as the Pappas Restaurant chain. (But it's a normal reaction for a Texan to think that they are one & the same.)

TerryB - You think YOUR confused, walk in the shoes of a broadcaster for a year!

All - actually the frequencies that congress wants to clear are the upper UHF band. They are salivating over them because the "experts" predict that they can get 50 billion dollars for it. They don't care about the VHF channels because they can't get any money for them. So High-V's are free to revert to their analog channel, if they choose to. The same is true for Low-V's also but, as most of you know, impulse noise makes that unwise.

We are experiencing some Technical Difficulties.
Please standby while we reboot our TV station...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 6151 Old 11-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To add to my own reply...the only natural evolution to this analog vs digital thing is what we will see in the near future.
The tuner you see in your TV, DVD/R. VCR or PVR/DVR will be high definition standard. People will be reminiscing about how they remember when they had to buy one or two separate and expensive tuners just to get a High Definition picture.
When it gets to where the market can't make a buck off of it, the change will happen.

"Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps." - Emo Phillips
post #183 of 6151 Old 11-05-2004, 02:15 PM

Mr Green, I wish you were right.

As it is, the FCC just got around to mandating tuners for TV and the CEA just got around to circumventing the mandate by calling a HiDef TV with a LowDef tuner a monitor. (They also call a TV without any tuner a monitor.) So the only TV that exists, in practice, is a TV with a HiDef tuner.

Congress, frustrated with the progress of the DTV transition and hungry for the auction money, is talking about forcing the FCC to mandate labels on the box saying "This stupid box won't be any good after___?" This they think would make people want to purchase a HiDef TV that really is a HiDef TV. The problem is, they stopped at the blank, because they cannot agree on an actual shutoff date.

To get beyond that sticky little point of an actual date, the FCC floated a trial balloon that said: "If 85% of the folks get their TV from cable, then they are already HD capable because they already have a set-top box that can give them HDTV. (Even though the picture displayed would be LowDef. ) Thus, we have already reached the 85% cut-over threshold point."

Thank goodness that balloon didn't float long.

However, one Senator has introduced a bill into congress to supply each "low income" household in America a HiDef tuner for their LowDef TV, thus allowing the earliest shutoff imaginable. If passed, it will cost us an estimated one (1) billion American dollars. This bill is gaining traction in both houses of congress because, after all, it still leaves an estimated 49 billion for their pet projects, after the UHF auction!

Bob C

post #184 of 6151 Old 11-05-2004, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And the irony of it is that it is being advertised as a way to free-up spectrum for use by emergency services (who really would only need one decent frequency in each market, and I am sure that at least one exists now in this band, if not multiple...).

I wonder if the FCC learned its lesson on advertising bids from the "A" license auctions for PCS services... (for those who do not remember, the bidding came in very low, and the guess was that the cell phone companies were signalling each other with bids. Fore example, a company would bid $10,000,713 in a market where the license was expected to fetch much higher, indicating that it wanted area code 713...)

Later,
Bill
post #185 of 6151 Old 11-05-2004, 06:47 PM

Calling does help. I get credit for them throwing the switch on "ST:Enterprise" tonight

Anyone want to call at 7:01 each Friday reminding them to do their job?
post #186 of 6151 Old 11-06-2004, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

I live in Beaumont and was able to pick up Houston's FOX, UPN and WB last week. I could never get ABC, CBS or NBC though.
It must have been the weather pattern that night, because it has not happend again.
The strange thing is that I have my antenna pointed towards Lake Charles not Houston, to get their NBC (KPLC) station.
All we have in Beaumont is our local CBS (KFDM) in HD.
post #187 of 6151 Old 11-06-2004, 04:51 PM

Arcade,

It's not the weather per se. It's the amount of moisture in the air. The closer the dew point is to the ambient temperature, the more likely this will happen.

The reason is that the more moisture there is in the air, the flatter the earth becomes to a VHF/UHF radio wave. The moisture makes the wave bend around the curve of the earth rather than pass directly out into space, like a good little radio wave. The bending of the wave is the equivalent to the flattening out the earth.

Normally, we wouldn't get half of the way across Chambers County.

Enjoy us while you can.

Bob Chase
KHWB

post #188 of 6151 Old 11-06-2004, 05:03 PM

All -

We will be in true 5.1 audio for the Lord of the Rings tomorrow night. The equipment came in late Thursday and we spent all day Friday getting it installed. We got to do one little test Friday afternoon and it seemed to work. However, the networks test program didn't have much surround sound in it, so I am uncomfortable telling you all is well. In fact, all I can really say is the Denon automatically switched to "Dolby Digital" when we got all of the sub-menus in the equipment right.

I'd appreciate any of you who are 5.1 capable stopping by to give it a listen and tell me (good or bad) what you experienced. I'm not asking you to watch the whole thing because that would be the wrong this to do on this forum.

But if you can spare the time, I could use an air-check on this. I can be reached here or at bchase@tribune.com.

Thanks,

Bob Chase
Director of Engineering
KHWB

post #189 of 6151 Old 11-06-2004, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bobchase
Arcade,

It's not the weather per se. It's the amount of moisture in the air. The closer the dew point is to the ambient temperature, the more likely this will happen.

The reason is that the more moisture there is in the air, the flatter the earth becomes to a VHF/UHF radio wave. The moisture makes the wave bend around the curve of the earth rather than pass directly out into space, like a good little radio wave. The bending of the wave is the equivalent to the flattening out the earth.

Normally, we wouldn't get half of the way across Chambers County.

Enjoy us while you can.

Bob Chase
KHWB

Bob. Thanks for the reply. It is very nice to have someone from an actual network on the boards.
I wish Beaumont were a little closer to Houston so we could get your station and others all the time.
Eventualy we will be ok over here but right now we only have one HD channel. Here is our situation so all of you guys in Houston can see just how good you have it.

KFDM (CBS)- HD 5.1 broadcast over the air only. (Great Station.)
KBTV (NBC)- Not talking of going HD for a year or two.
KBMT (ABC)- Not talking of going HD for a year or two.
KUIL (FOX)- Low Power. Not talking of going HD anytime that I can tell.
KWWB (WB)- Cable only Station. Not broadcast OTA.. Owned by KFDM above.
(UPN)- Owned by KFDM above as well.

There is rumor that KFDM will broadcast UPN or WB in HD over one of their extra OTA channels sometime. They currently show UPN shows in HD like Star Trek each night after the 10:00 news.

So maybe in a year or two my situation will be better.
post #190 of 6151 Old 11-07-2004, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bob - If I can finish the HDTivo install today, I'll definitely give it a go. However, without the amp functional, I get a lot of drop-outs.

Later,
Bill
post #191 of 6151 Old 11-07-2004, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Bob, if the weather co-operates, I will definately check it out!!
post #192 of 6151 Old 11-07-2004, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Bob.... Watched about 20 min from the start, looked and sounded fine, the blue light was lit on the receiver ;-) Nice.

It is "WOW" TV!
post #193 of 6151 Old 11-07-2004, 06:26 PM

I thought that my 811 had managed to lose the ABC locals...again. After scanning them in again it appears that perhaps channel 13 isn't transmitting digital tonight. I wonder what happened?

Mike
post #194 of 6151 Old 11-07-2004, 06:36 PM
wjg
Advanced Member

13-1 13-2 and 13-3 are out. All other ota channels are fine here. I am pulling a 90% signal on all of them.

Bill
post #195 of 6151 Old 11-07-2004, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, it appears KTRK is having channel mapping problems, again! I have to tune to 32-1 to get it, and my HD Tivo doesn't seem to want to record that way. They better fix it before "Lost" on Wednesday.
post #196 of 6151 Old 11-07-2004, 06:44 PM

Bill

Yeah, I noticed. I thought the master control op had fallen asleep and missed throwing the switch for the HD feed. They have done it before. Usually a couple of minutes into the show they realize they missed it and then it just pops into HD. I was griping about them being asleep at the wheel and it dawned on me to check, and even though I had punched in 13-1 it went to 13-0. It really makes you appreciate HD. Once you've seen a show in HD SD looks like there's a fog over your eyes.

Oh well, maybe they'll get 'whatever' fixed soon.

Mike
post #197 of 6151 Old 11-07-2004, 06:48 PM

labmansid

I guess my Dish 811 doesn't like 32-1. I just tried it and it jumped to 26-1. Oh well. I'm with you on getting it fixed before wednesday.

Mike
post #198 of 6151 Old 11-07-2004, 06:53 PM
wjg
Advanced Member

32-1 works fine on my HDTivo. Thanks. I never had to do this before.

Bill
post #199 of 6151 Old 11-07-2004, 08:23 PM

WOW!

I am a newbie in Tomball and have not read this entire thread yet, but wanted to chime in and say thanks to all fo the contributors on this thread!

I have DirecTV and finally bought a Hi-Def receiver (Samsung TS360) after having a HDTV capable set for over a year. I did not get an OTA antenna installed on the roof because of the expense, but have been enjoying watching football in HDthrough Sunday Ticket all day.

tonight I was reading on a different forum how much easier it is to pick up digital transmissions than analog ones and decided I would give a cheap indoor antenna a try...not really expecting anything.

I am amazed at the channels I get with a $25 antenna. Of the major channels (2,8,11,13,20,26,39), I am currently getting 2,11,20, and 39 with no problems.

I am hoping to get 13 also, since a couple of you mentioned that it doesn't look like they are prodcasting tonight.

Fox is the only one I am not getting at all that I am hoping to find a way to get. Next weekend when I have more time I plan on putting the antenna up in the attack to see of I can get more of the channels. If anyone has any advice, feel free to chime in!
post #200 of 6151 Old 11-08-2004, 05:07 AM

Astrodad --

For lots (and I mean lots!) of antenna advice, try the avsforum thread here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=381623

The short answer is: higher is better, bigger is better, outside is better,
and directional is better.

If you are getting so many stations already from a cheapo antenna,
you'll be well served by a quality one. The now discontiuned
Zenith Silver Sensor, Radio Shack's double bowtie, Channel Master's
3021, 4228, and the Antenna's Direct DB4 and DB8 are all highly recommended
depending on your distance and application.

Boosting the signal with a Channel Master (CM) 7777 pre-amp is also
helpful if you have a weak (snowy) but not multipathing (ghosting)
signal.

I live inside the loop near the museum district and can pick up most
high power stations with one of the crappiest antennas ever made:
the Terk meant for mounting on the back of a DSS dish!
Terk, in general, is junk and this thing is barely better than a couple
of coat hangers since it has so few elements and is really oddly shaped.

So I'm looking forward to getting a Silver Sensor on Wednesday from
ebuyer.com. The Silver Sensors are still widely available mail order
and seem to be a great indoor, non-attic antenna.

Go to antennaweb.com, plug in your street address to get an idea
of your distance and direction from the antenna farm, read that other
AVSforum thread for ideas on antennas and let us know what happens!

Good luck!

antenna
post #201 of 6151 Old 11-08-2004, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Bob,

I could not watch the show last night. My Wife drug me off to do something else. How did the broadcast go? Any 5.1 problems?

"Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps." - Emo Phillips
post #202 of 6151 Old 11-08-2004, 06:43 AM
wjg
Advanced Member

I did not have a chance to check this morning. Are they back up yet ?? If not, I will email our engineer buddy at ABC 13.

Bill
post #203 of 6151 Old 11-08-2004, 04:16 PM

It appears that channel 13's digital channels are back. Have to wait until primetime to see if they can pass the HD signal from the network.

Mike
post #204 of 6151 Old 11-08-2004, 06:13 PM

Well, I put the RCA 1250 (the cheapie i refered to earlier) up in the attic and am now receiving everything but PBS.

I am only getting about 45% strength on every channel. Should I expect to lose a lot of that signal during bad weather?
post #205 of 6151 Old 11-09-2004, 09:38 AM
wjg
Advanced Member

Bad weather will effect your reception one way or another. 48 % is not all that great but if you are happy with what you are seeing, stay with it. You won't have wind problems like I have during storms seeing that mine is roof mounted. Just wait and see. Thats the fun part about this hobby. Lets see what we can do to drive the wife nuts again !!!

Cheers,

Bill
post #206 of 6151 Old 11-09-2004, 10:59 AM

You probably won't get much better reception on PBS -- they are a *very* low power broadcaster.

You can go grab a channel master pre-amp from a distributor mentioned earlier in the thread, or Lowes.

Being in the attic versus outdoors cuts your signal in about half, so if the wife
won't let ya stick it outside, a better antenna or preamp may be needed,
particularly if you do suffer rainfade.
post #207 of 6151 Old 11-09-2004, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

AstroDad - Grab either a 4-bay or 8-bay bowtie if you are going to attic mount your antenna. They are cheap as well, and if you are putting them in the attic, you really don't have to worry about aesthetics. FYI, the Channel Master 3021 and the 4221 are the same antenna (both are 4-bay bowties).

Bob - Thanks for the LOTR:FOTR presentation! We got a few minutes into it before I realized that I had left the Tivo in stereo mode. After that, the sound was great. I'm sure that was a pretty major event for you guys, and it looked phenomenal on my projector in lowly 720p.

Later,
The other Bill
post #208 of 6151 Old 11-09-2004, 11:39 AM

Darn,

I was playing with my new dvd player and missed the LOTR broadcast.

AstroDad - I would grab the 8-bay bowtie if you are going to attic mount liked Bob and couple others have pointed out, bigger is better. I got the 4-way bowtie on my attic and the signal is great but it could be better on some channels. My experiment with putting more collecting area with alum foil did not work as well, , so I am going to order the 8-way bowtie.
post #209 of 6151 Old 11-09-2004, 04:22 PM

quick question...which will show you how little i know...

The antenna I have in the attic now is an amplified antenna that claims to get 40 gain.

The 4-way bowtie antennas claim much less gain than that.

I am sure the bowtie is better than what I have, but I know so little that I don't understand why and the pages I have looked at to find an answer are either way out of my league or don't address them.
post #210 of 6151 Old 11-09-2004, 05:35 PM

Imagine you are outside with a big bucket and it's raining golf balls.

You'll probably do ok catching the balls in your bucket, in fact since they
are small relative to the bucket, you'll probably get a lot of them.

Now imagine you are trying to catch basketballs instead, you might get one
in the bucket, but two will be a stretch, and three is impossible. They
just don't work together well, right?

Antennas are just like your bucket -- they are out there in rain trying to
catch stuff that fits in them, but in our case what fits is radio waves, not
golf balls. Back to my analogy... if you had two buckets, you'd catch more
golf balls, right? So, bigger is better cause it catches more. Again
the same is true of an antenna... a larger antenna has more area to collect
radio waves so... and here's the tricky bit... as long as the bigger antenna
is the right size to catch the radio waves bigger is better.

In fact, if you wanted to measure how much better a bucket will do catching
golf balls than your bare hand, how much you "gained" by using the bucket
in this very crude analogy (EEs everywhere are cringing) that might be
called gain.

So, the bigger the antenna (assuming it's the right size for your radio waves you need) the bigger the gain.

But a big antenna only does so much... the cable running from your antenna
to your TV causes some loss of the signals. In fact, the longer the piece
of cable, the more loss. A pre-amp (pre in this context meaning BEFORE
the cable run) amplifies the signal your antenna has caught so that when
it reachses the other end, there's still something usable.

But, if you are passing absolute garbage IN to the amp, you'll get amplified
garbage OUT of the amp. If your setup is giving you 40 db of gain, some
of that is from the antenna and some is from the amp.
If you want to improve the signal quality, you'll have to get a better antenna.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page