Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 6676 Old 11-25-2004, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Todd
The wind is killing 3-1 for me today. Once it goes above about 3mph, 3-1 starts breaking up....

Same Here Todd. I've given up and watching D* broadcast of it now. Man it looks bad.

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 6676 Old 11-25-2004, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Channel 3 is fine for me both OTA and on Cox. 43 is kaput can't get it to lock in. Well it is the old OTA blues again. I won't whine. :-)
post #273 of 6676 Old 11-25-2004, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by robertawillisjr
Channel 3 is fine for me both OTA and on Cox. 43 is kaput can't get it to lock in. Well it is the old OTA blues again. I won't whine. :-)

But is it in HD?
post #274 of 6676 Old 11-25-2004, 11:46 AM

No HD for me out in Smithfield and it has nothing to do with locking the signal.
Apparently, the folks at CBS in Norfolk are still stuffing themselves. This is (at least) the 3rd this year that the local CBS station cannot flip a switch to get a game to HD.
I'll agree that it'll be difficult for the masses to accept/love HD when people continually flub up doing the simple stuff (like flipping a switch)

Life is good...
post #275 of 6676 Old 11-25-2004, 03:31 PM

Considering the thousands of dollars some of us have spent to watch HD, this is ridiculous. Most consumers will start calling the store from where they purchased the TV or from whom installed the antenna thinking the TV was broken.

There is NO WAY HD is ready for the masses. What makes it even worse is how bad their usable signal was. I hope the rest of the country isn't having these same problems. This channel is by no means the only problem. Some of NBC's big shows are still not broadcast in HD.

It's just frustrating when we see how good HD really is and then to suffer through SD either because someone screwed up or refuses to get on board.

ArtV
post #276 of 6676 Old 11-25-2004, 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ArtV
Considering the thousands of dollars some of us have spent to watch HD, this is ridiculous. Most consumers will start calling the store from where they purchased the TV or from whom installed the antenna thinking the TV was broken.

There is NO WAY HD is ready for the masses. What makes it even worse is how bad their usable signal was. I hope the rest of the country isn't having these same problems. This channel is by no means the only problem. Some of NBC's big shows are still not broadcast in HD.

It's just frustrating when we see how good HD really is and then to suffer through SD either because someone screwed up or refuses to get on board.

ArtV

Well at least 43-1 football game is in HD. It looks great and my family loves it. I think the weather and wind had some effect on my reception today.

Dale
post #277 of 6676 Old 11-25-2004, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Yep... a very disappointed household here because of WTKR-DT...

Robert F Corbin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 | Virginia Media News & Information

email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook:

twitter:

linkedin:

google+:

pinterest:

post #278 of 6676 Old 11-25-2004, 05:10 PM

On WTKR HD on both OTA and Cox during the Colts-Lions game it switched a few times to a grid showing New York Txt HD or something, so someone was trying to get the HD going, but was unable to for whatever reason. It seems some markets had HD while others didn't, so maybe it was something on CBS's end.
post #279 of 6676 Old 11-25-2004, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

There is NO SOUND on the Seinfeld special on 10-1! Un-freakin-believable...

I had been looking forward to this all day.
post #280 of 6676 Old 11-26-2004, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Yep... Unbelievable. Got up to check it and NO sound...

Robert F Corbin

| Virginia Media News & Information

email:

facebook:

twitter:

linkedin:

google+:

pinterest:

post #281 of 6676 Old 11-26-2004, 06:59 AM

quote:Originally posted by Todd

Yep... Unbelievable. Got up to check it and NO sound...

Does this happen often? With my current Tivo and SD, I have confidence that shows are recorded and that I will be able to see and hear them later. Do you have to babysit your HD Tivo recordings to make sure everything is working?
post #282 of 6676 Old 11-26-2004, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

gtadell,

HDTV is still an infant and the diapers need to be changed regularly. :-)
post #283 of 6676 Old 11-26-2004, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There is NO SOUND on the Seinfeld special on 10-1!

Sorry about that. I'm not sure what the problem was, but based on the fact that it was reported in several markets over on the AVS HDTV Programming thread then it must have been a national issue or something NBC sent out that locked up some of the local affiliates' HD receiver.

Also, earlier in the day we had a power hit that resulted in the FOX Splicer locking up.
post #284 of 6676 Old 11-26-2004, 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by VARTV
Yep... a very disappointed household here because of WTKR-DT...

I was also very disappointed w/WTKR. As soon as I noticed the game wasn't in HD I called my brother in MA. He was receiving it in HD. Left a message with their programming dept. and voiced my displeasure, not that it matters to them.

IMO WAVY does the best w/HD. If the broadcast is HD WAVY will air it in HD. Regardless the time of day.
No problem with the wind...using rabbit ears

Mike O
post #285 of 6676 Old 11-26-2004, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

The folks at WTKR have been very responsive to our posts. I noticed that all of their programming yesterday was SD. There is probably a technical problem and it may be due to the power spike felt across the area. It was very vexing but that is the current stage of HDTV and although things have gotten better it can still @#$%^&@#$#@$#.
post #286 of 6676 Old 11-26-2004, 11:56 AM

The SEC game today is not coming through in HD. Since this problem began yesterday I have noticed something strange about the audio that they are transmitting with the 4:3 image converted to digital. My receiver decodes their audio as DD 5.1 however their is no center speaker and the left and right front speakers have the same audio output. That is it sounds like a mono signal not a stereo signal. If it was stereo, my Yamaha receiver would read it as stereo and not DD 5.1. IF it is not DD then the receiver reads it a Pro Logic Dolby. It seems like they are actually sending a mono audio signal but something in the data stream tells the receiver that it should be DD 5.1.

Earl
post #287 of 6676 Old 11-26-2004, 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by robertawillisjr
The folks at WTKR have been very responsive to our posts. I noticed that all of their programming yesterday was SD. There is probably a technical problem and it may be due to the power spike felt across the area. It was very vexing but that is the current stage of HDTV and although things have gotten better it can still @#$%^&@#$#@$#.

What caused the power spike? Was it just south side? I don't remember anything here in Poquoson?

I agree WTKR has been responsive as have most of the station engineers . I guess since we haven't heard anything yet they must all be hard at work trying to solve the problem and haven't had time to respond.

Earl
post #288 of 6676 Old 11-26-2004, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I am in Hampton and got hit by a brief spike. I had to recycle one TV and one other looks terrible. A friend in Chesapeake experienced the same thing. It only lasted about a split second.
post #289 of 6676 Old 11-26-2004, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Considering the thousands of dollars some of us have spent to watch HD, this is ridiculous. .

ArtV

Welcome Art,

Get used to the screw ups until the analog is turned off.
post #290 of 6676 Old 11-26-2004, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I have never seen such whing and crying from "adults" in my life. The damn world has not come to an end. No wonder the station personnel have not replied.

Good grief just because you couldn't watch a bunch of overpaid guys strutting and doing their thing for whatever reason is no reason to have a nervous breakdown. What if you had some real problems in your life?

Harold Jackson
post #291 of 6676 Old 11-26-2004, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

My wife and I watched the 50th year tribute to George Jones last night. I noticed a lot of artifacts on almost any movement suggesting low bandwith. I can understand problems with fast moving sports programming but just someone moving their heads should not be a problem.

What was the bandwith or was there other factors involved?

Harold Jackson
post #292 of 6676 Old 11-26-2004, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by Earl Dunham
I agree WTKR has been responsive as have most of the station engineers . I guess since we haven't heard anything yet they must all be hard at work trying to solve the problem and haven't had time to respond.

Maybe Ted was just taking a day off to enjoy Thanksgiving with his family. While he is responsible for the technical operation of WTKR-DT, another group is responsible for the on-air operation of WTKR-TV/DT and seven other NY Times (broadcast group) stations.

Peter Dennant
XBE Group
[former Director of Engineering for WVEC-TV/DT]
post #293 of 6676 Old 11-26-2004, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ArtV

Just because some chooses to spend "THOUSANDS" on equipment does not entitle that person any more consideration than someone who purchased a $179 special at Walmart. A viewer is a viewer, equal to all others.

Just because some of us are fat on the hip (myself included) doesn't give any of us advantages over those who can't afford or choose other uses for their money.

I would personally like to see this elitist slant removed from this forum. It has no place here.

Harold Jackson
post #294 of 6676 Old 11-26-2004, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

This:

Quote:

I have never seen such whing and crying from "adults" in my life. The damn world has not come to an end. No wonder the station personnel have not replied.

Then this:

Quote:

My wife and I watched the 50th year tribute to George Jones last night. I noticed a lot of artifacts on almost any movement suggesting low bandwith. I can understand problems with fast moving sports programming but just someone moving their heads should not be a problem.

Quote:

hjriver

PRICELESS
post #295 of 6676 Old 11-26-2004, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by hjriver
Just because some chooses to spend "THOUSANDS" on equipment does not entitle that person any more consideration than someone who purchased a $179 special at Walmart. A viewer is a viewer, equal to all others.

Just because some of us are fat on the hip (myself included) doesn't give any of us advantages over those who can't afford or choose other uses for their money.

I would personally like to see this elitist slant removed from this forum. It has no place here.

Then someone should probably leave the AUDIO VISUAL SCIENCE forum. This particular area is for Local HD Reception. I checked, no $179 HDTVs at Wal Mart.
post #296 of 6676 Old 11-26-2004, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What if you had some real problems in your life?

Seems as though "whining" depends upon ones taste.

Perhaps an apology is in order.
post #297 of 6676 Old 11-26-2004, 04:34 PM

I may be wrong, but I don't think today's LSU-Arkansas game on CBS was an HD broadcast, source-wise. I also have had enough of Harold's rants and he is now on my ignore list.
post #298 of 6676 Old 11-26-2004, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bfoster
This:

Then this:

PRICELESS

If you had used my entire paragraph I stated a problem I saw and asked a question and I don't intend to apologe for anything. Some act like a bunch of whining 3 year olds. Instead of just stating the problem some have to interject their own little digs "WAVY" not ready for HD, "asleep at the switch" etc.

I don't care if WHRO was using lower bandwith on the George Jones broadcast, I just want to know if that was the cause or if it was something else. Maybe it was the way it was filmed. We still enjoyed it on our "thousands" of dollars worth of equipment.

Harold Jackson
post #299 of 6676 Old 11-26-2004, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by raycer
I may be wrong, but I don't think today's LSU-Arkansas game on CBS was an HD broadcast, source-wise. I also have had enough of Harold's rants and he is now on my ignore list.

Titan TV listed the game as HD, but they also list the WAVY-DT news from 5:00pm - 6:30pm as HD. But I think the game was in HD since all the other SEC games were HD but who knows.

Earl
post #300 of 6676 Old 11-26-2004, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I'm quite sure that Ted would love to get better monitoring and switching equipment, and personnel that would/could treat the WTKR-DT signal with equal importance to the analog side. But he isn't the one who makes those decisions.

I suppose a valid point of discussion is whether the FCC should step in and regulate, or whether the market will simply force the issue next year, but whatever the end result, WTKR was one of the first (the first?) to get HD running here.

Bruce
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page