Norfolk, VA - OTA - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 6675 Old 12-01-2004, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
At noon today I was not getting anything on WAVY-DT. No signal detected. Was anyone else seeing them around this time? Did something change in the PSIP and I need to rescan for them or were they just off the air?
Earl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 6675 Old 12-01-2004, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Earl Dunham
At noon today I was not getting anything on WAVY-DT. No signal detected. Was anyone else seeing them around this time? Did something change in the PSIP and I need to rescan for them or were they just off the air?
Earl

They were down for some reason. The analog channel was up. Back on now at 1pm. Maybe the wind caused a power failure at their transmitter?

Harold Jackson
post #363 of 6675 Old 12-01-2004, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by hjriver
The aluminum siding may be more of it than you think. Have you tried a variable attunator? I have excellent signal stability with levels in the 70's. I was watching WTVR-DT in Richmond the other day with a 34 signal and had no problems. Maybe you could try to cut yours a little and block some of the multi-path that's screwing up your receiver.

I dont consider myself to have any reception problems right now just that I feel I had to go to extreme measures to solve them. AN amp and a rotator at 19.5 miles away. I too tried attenutation.
post #364 of 6675 Old 12-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jimmykce
when I was watching Fox last night, it seemed that you have made your logo a more transparent blue. You logo is still hanging off the screen with part of the letter "X" off the right bottom of the screen.

Can you make the Fox logo smaller and clear, like NBC, CBS, and ABC?

Actually nothing has changed with the logo for months. Our graphic artist is putting a new one together according to FOX's guidelines for appearance, but it will probably be at least next week before we get it to FOX to have them load it into our box.
post #365 of 6675 Old 12-01-2004, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Earl, sorry for the interruption, but there was a power failure in the vicinity of our transmitter site today that lasted for a couple of hours. This took both WAVY-DT and WVBT-DT off the air for that period of time. It took a little longer to get WVBT-DT back up after power was restored.
post #366 of 6675 Old 12-02-2004, 03:56 AM

Les:

Thanks for the quick response and I will wait and see how it comes out when Fox launches it.
post #367 of 6675 Old 12-02-2004, 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by hjriver
I put this theory to the test after reading this at 10 am. We are having winds of 32 MPH gusts and driving rain. The branches on the oak and pine are really moving around yet my signal is a rock steady 76 on WAVY-DT. I realize these meters are usually S/N readings but using that as a guide then I should be having all kinds of reception problems. I think it involves much more than that.

When I lived in Richmond my house built in 1984 had aluminum clad insulation board under the siding. A cell phone would not work inside the house or rabbit ears. Your problem could very well be the antenna in the attic and nearby houses reflecting a lot of signal. I think that reducing the signal level below the reflected signal levels before the receiver allows the receiver to just see the actual signal.

I know I am sacrificing some signal strength by being in the attic but since I went to a UHF-only antenna for DTV and moved the antenna to the new location my problems have been almost non-existent. As you say, there are a lot of things that contribute to drop-outs but what seems to have been made clear on this thread time and again is that the right combination of antenna and antenna location/orientation can solve most of them. Folks complain about these issues like they are unique to DTV but if you wanted to get a nice crisp, ghost-free image on analog you would battle the same issues.

Dave Hahne
Poquoson, VA
<><
post #368 of 6675 Old 12-02-2004, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Folks complain about these issues like they are unique to DTV but if you wanted to get a nice crisp, ghost-free image on analog you would battle the same issues

Which is a reason why cable gained popularity in non-rural areas and why so many people that have only used cable or satelite will not be happy campers when they get a nice new shiny HDTV.
post #369 of 6675 Old 12-02-2004, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote]Originally posted by robertawillisjr
[quote]Folks complain about these issues like they are unique to DTV but if you wanted to get a nice crisp, ghost-free image on analog you would battle the same issues
Quote:

Which is a reason why cable gained popularity in non-rural areas and why so many people that have only used cable or satelite will not be happy campers when they get a nice new shiny HDTV.

I don't know how Cox is but on Comcast in Richmond, Henrico and Chesterfield the analog is terrible (understatement) and now the digital is so compressed (or something) it's almost just as bad. Anyone who has a half-way decent receiver HD or not never see what the unit is capable of. OTA there as here is the only way to go. Directv locals are worse than bad IMO.

Harold Jackson
post #370 of 6675 Old 12-03-2004, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm surprised no one has brought this up (at least I don't think anyone did...), but how come the WAVY Weather Station is no longer on 43-2? For me it just duplicates what's on 43-1.
post #371 of 6675 Old 12-03-2004, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe they are going to participate in NBC Weather Plus. It just came online ota in RDU this week. I believe it is running on Time Warner Cable in demo mode as well. It first launched about 2 weeks ago in NYC. NBC wants all affliliate to participate in this venture however my local affiliate in Washington, NC is not due to cost. Norfolk is a bigger market so maybe WAVY is.

Geo
All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #372 of 6675 Old 12-03-2004, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Les, if you all go with this Weather Plus thing and put it on 43-2, can you all get rid of the radar on 10-3 and give that bandwidth to 10-1? Please?

Thanks
post #373 of 6675 Old 12-04-2004, 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Todd
Hey Les, if you all go with this Weather Plus thing and put it on 43-2, can you all get rid of the radar on 10-3 and give that bandwidth to 10-1? Please?
Thanks

Hi Todd,
Nothing against your opinion, but myself, I like having the radar there for when it rains, you get an idea when it will hit by watching. Personally I was a bit disappointed when my own station discontinued the radar. But, that is my 2¢ worth.

Bill Bibeau, CBT
Retired Broadcasting Engineer
post #374 of 6675 Old 12-04-2004, 05:36 AM

This is primarily for John,
John, I had the pleasure of attending the Boston Pops Concert last evening at the Constant Center. I know every year, the Pops does a special for broadcast usually on PBS. Do you have any schedule for it?

Thanks,

Bill Bibeau, CBT
post #375 of 6675 Old 12-04-2004, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by BillBibeau
Hi Todd,
Nothing against your opinion, but myself, I like having the radar there for when it rains, you get an idea when it will hit by watching. Personally I was a bit disappointed when my own station discontinued the radar. But, that is my 2¢ worth.

Yeh, I like having one too, but there is a good one on 3-2 as well. I think all we really need is one of them, plus HD on 10-1 badly needs some more bandwidth added to it.
post #376 of 6675 Old 12-04-2004, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Todd,

I agree with you. The 10-3 radar is invaluable to me out here in Mathews where any news or weather information is sadly lacking pertaining to this area. At least with the radar resource I can see where the storms are and direction of travel. Thanks to Les and WAVY for providing this essential public service. This is good utilization of your capacity to provide real time information to viewers.

I don't personally see that much wrong with the PQ on 10-1 comparing it to the others. I consider that WAVY-DT is broadcasting an acceptable product to it's viewers.

Harold Jackson
post #377 of 6675 Old 12-04-2004, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I don't personally see that much wrong with the PQ on 10-1 comparing it to the others. I consider that WAVY-DT is broadcasting an acceptable product to it's viewers.

Welllllll.

By the way I posted a response to your complaint about George Jones on the other thread. It seemed better suited over there.
post #378 of 6675 Old 12-04-2004, 10:52 AM

Isn't the VT/Miami game supposed to be in HD? They're advertising it as such.

Thanks, Brian
post #379 of 6675 Old 12-04-2004, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by vtguru
Isn't the VT/Miami game supposed to be in HD? They're advertising it as such.

Thanks, Brian

I was wondering the same thing since I seen 2 notices so far saying that Va Tech football is being brought to us in HD by A&G Select Imports....
post #380 of 6675 Old 12-04-2004, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
NO HD here either on 13-1 for VT Game. The announcers are promoting it being in HD.
I'm sure this is another local mishap.
Oh well.
You never know what to expect when you tune to one of the local -1 channels.

Now where did I put Peter's pager number
post #381 of 6675 Old 12-04-2004, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Did the announcers say it was in HD? I really wasn't expecting it so I'm not that dissapointed.
post #382 of 6675 Old 12-04-2004, 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by obxdiver
NO HD here either on 13-1 for VT Game. The announcers are promoting it being in HD.
I'm sure this is another local mishap.
Oh well.
You never know what to expect when you tune to one of the local -1 channels.

Now where did I put Peter's pager number

There is a whole bunch of new equipment being installed over the weekend Steve at the station. So it is possible that a number of HD programs might wind up in SD. We hope to have everything up and running by Monday. Till then, please bear with us.

Bill Bibeau, CBT
post #383 of 6675 Old 12-04-2004, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm Bill, can we ask what kind of new equipment?
post #384 of 6675 Old 12-04-2004, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Yeh, I like having one too, but there is a good one on 3-2 as well. I think all we really need is one of them, plus HD on 10-1 badly needs some more bandwidth added to it.

I hear ya Todd! However, I find the WAVY radar better from this end and have no problems at all with the 10-1 HD picture quality.

Bill Bibeau, CBT
post #385 of 6675 Old 12-04-2004, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We hope to have everything up and running by Monday. Till then, please bear with us.

I see. No problem.
It just seems like there has been alot of missing HD football locally here lately.
post #386 of 6675 Old 12-04-2004, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Hmmm Bill, can we ask what kind of new equipment?

It is for our audio....but in the process of hooking up things, sometimes it is necessary to disturb other things. All should be up and well by Monday provided Mr. Murphy stays home!

Bill Bibeau, CBT
post #387 of 6675 Old 12-04-2004, 03:26 PM

Army Navy game was in HD and looked good. I thought the Auburn-Tenn. game was to be in HD. Was it not supposed to be HD or did the switch just not get flipped. Titan TV listed it as a HD broadcast.
Earl
post #388 of 6675 Old 12-04-2004, 06:39 PM

Quote:

Army Navy game was in HD and looked good. I thought the Auburn-Tenn. game was to be in HD. Was it not supposed to be HD or did the switch just not get flipped. Titan TV listed it as a HD broadcast.
Earl

You are correct...the AU/UT game is being broadcast in HD....just not by our local CBS station. Can't even say that I'm surprised
TKR has issues with flipping the switch on Sundays for NFL action so why not screw up with college football championship.

As for those who feel that I am being overly harsh about this...sorry, but I really feel that TKR has really fumbled (pun intended) with not passing along the HD coverage that CBS is providing. As a major sports fan, I'm really bummed (the first time or two) and quickly growing very impatient and angry with the situation. I think that it is great that the local station managers provide us with information about their services and explanations when things go wrong. That is much appreciated....my football in HD would also be appreciated.

Life is good...
post #389 of 6675 Old 12-05-2004, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Tampa Bay/Atlanta game on FOX 43-1 at 1:00pm in full HD and looking great. Also perfect DD 5.1 audio
Great job Les
post #390 of 6675 Old 12-05-2004, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by obxdiver
Tampa Bay/Atlanta game on FOX 43-1 at 1:00pm in full HD and looking great. Also perfect DD 5.1 audio
Great job Les

I thought the thanksgiving day game on 43-1 looked sharper. Just my observation.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page