Norfolk, VA - OTA - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2004, 04:50 PM
Senior Member
 
George Randell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Norfolk VA
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by hjriver


My comment was in no way directed at Ted who I believe does a very good job. One person (Ted) can't possibly do it al 24/7. It's directed at the management of WTKR. It is the responsibility of the General manager to insure the station is staffed with people knowledgable in the operation so that when abnormal incidents happen they can at least try to correct them. Even if the operation is run out of NY and the station personnel have no control then a phone call to the GM of WTKR should prompt a high level call to the operations center in NY. Not just sit back and point the finger northward.


Harold,

Perhaps I can be of help here.
You are a bit mistaken. Read what Peter wrote again. The on-air operation of WTKR is not controlled from New York. It is controlled in Norfolk from a Digital Operations Center run by the owners of WTKR, the New York Times. You know, the guys who also own a newspaper in N.Y..... They also own several TV stations.

No calls from Norfolk to New York will be needed, just a trip up the stairs to where the DOC is located.

My guess would be that the newsy you spoke with over the weekend took a look into the Production Control room (where the news is switched) and told you that no one was there. He or she may not even know where the DOC control room is. I am quite sure the on-air control point for WTKR is always staffed.

-
George Randell is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-13-2004, 04:57 PM
Senior Member
 
George Randell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Norfolk VA
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings!

Tonight will mark our first Monday night of UPN Programming in HD.
8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.

Enjoy!

George Randell
Chief Engineer
WGNT/WGNT-DT UPN-27
Viacom in Norfolk
George Randell is offline  
Old 12-13-2004, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hjriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mathews County, VA
Posts: 1,565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by George Randell
Harold,

Perhaps I can be of help here.
You are a bit mistaken. Read what Peter wrote again. The on-air operation of WTKR is not controlled from New York. It is controlled in Norfolk from a Digital Operations Center run by the owners of WTKR, the New York Times. You know, the guys who also own a newspaper in N.Y..... They also own several TV stations.

No calls from Norfolk to New York will be needed, just a trip up the stairs to where the DOC is located.

My guess would be that the newsy you spoke with over the weekend took a look into the Production Control room (where the news is switched) and told you that no one was there. He or she may not even know where the DOC control room is. I am quite sure the on-air control point for WTKR is always staffed.

-

Thanks for your reply. It wasn't me who called as it's long distance for me but another poster. I apparently did misread Peter's post and thought that all the NYT stations were controlled from NY. I couldn't believe that no-one was staffing but I believe what you say is the case. Like I said though no one person can keep up with it 24/7 and somehow responsibility and accountability must be applied as it seems that operator errors happen frequently and what's worse repeat themselves. Now these could be completely out of the local operator's control. Unless someone from the stations post reasons here we will never know and thus make unfair or uninformed comments.

I could watch the game on my directv CBS National HD feed but I can understand those who don't have that option being very disappointed.

Is it technically feasible to run a banner when it is a technical problem when a program is not in HD? At least we would know that it is SD because of technical problems instead of a human problem.

Harold Jackson
hjriver is offline  
Old 12-13-2004, 06:23 PM
Senior Member
 
George Randell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Norfolk VA
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by hjriver


Is it technically feasible to run a banner when it is a technical problem when a program is not in HD? At least we would know that it is SD because of technical problems instead of a human problem.

It depends on the equipment and personnel at the station. For example, WGNT had some satellite HD problems with the audio at the top of our network feed tonight. We switched back to the SD Upconversion while the operator located and fixed the problem. We don't have equipment in place that would let him QUICKLY put a crawl on just the HD channel. We could do it, but it would have taken him longer that it took to find and fix the problem! In time we may build a "stock" message that could be triggered with a minimum of hassle. Thanks for the suggestion.
George Randell is offline  
Old 12-13-2004, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hjriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mathews County, VA
Posts: 1,565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by George Randell
It depends on the equipment and personnel at the station. For example, WGNT had some satellite HD problems with the audio at the top of our network feed tonight. We switched back to the SD Upconversion while the operator located and fixed the problem. We don't have equipment in place that would let him QUICKLY put a crawl on just the HD channel. We could do it, but it would have taken him longer that it took to find and fix the problem! In time we may build a "stock" message that could be triggered with a minimum of hassle. Thanks for the suggestion.

"HD Technical Problems" would be all I would need. At least it would let us know and maybe cut down on assumptions.

I'm not the least familiar with the amount of human intervention for digital, HD vs analog broadcasting. What I think I see here it is very dependent on staff flipping the switches and making the adjustments. Maybe soon automation will be developed to help but... getting the money to buy it might be a problem. I am familiar with that. Very much so.

Harold Jackson
hjriver is offline  
Old 12-13-2004, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HILLTOP SAILOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In my never ending quest to overstate the obvious: Not again!

This HD football telecast sound problem is becoming a Greek tragedy: The liver regrows every week so it can be eaten again!

Aaaaaagh!
Drew
HILLTOP SAILOR is offline  
Old 12-14-2004, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vurbano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 7,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:


Originally posted by HILLTOP SAILOR
In my never ending quest to overstate the obvious: Not again!

This HD football telecast sound problem is becoming a Greek tragedy: The liver regrows every week so it can be eaten again!

Aaaaaagh!
Drew

I noticed that too. Once again no audio at the beginning of the broadcast.
vurbano is offline  
Old 12-14-2004, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vurbano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 7,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:


Originally posted by pdennant
I'm going to step up to the plate for Ted as he may not post a reply after everyone has already judged and sentenced him

Im sorry but IMO thats just bologna. Ted and CBS are the cream of the HD crop in this area. I cant believe that anyone has said anything judgemental about him.
vurbano is offline  
Old 12-14-2004, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bfoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Weeksville, NC
Posts: 2,131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:


Originally posted by vurbano
Im sorry but IMO thats just bologna. Ted and CBS are the cream of the HD crop in this area. I cant believe that anyone has said anything judgemental about him.

Sorry Peter but I must agree. Here is the last couple of weeks:

11/25 No NFLHD Thanksgiving Day
11/26 No SECHD
12/4 No SEC Championship HD
12/12 No NFLHD

Nothing mentioned here, only thing on WTKR's Web Site says all HD sent by CBS will be broadcast

You know when Harold is complaining it must be bad

I know Ted doesn't do it all, and I haven't read anything personal, but it is football season

Thanks for clarifying the Times DOC operation, I knew it was remote just didn't want to spend a couple of hours reading two years posts to find where Ted had explained it.

Hey Ted!

Is it all really switching problems? Or have there been some equipment failures? You can post... no one will bite



Brian
bfoster is offline  
Old 12-15-2004, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
VARTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: VA Beach, VA 23456
Posts: 4,857
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Pleasantly surprised when most of the lip-sync issues disappeared from "Still Standing" and "Listen Up!" on CBS Monday night. The only problem was when Listen Up! returned from break around the 15 minute mark. The audio and video were slightly off. After the next break, it was "fixed" again. I haven't watched "Two and a Half Men" yet. I never had any problems with this show. "Raymond" was a repeat...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information


email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

VARTV is offline  
Old 12-15-2004, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
pdennant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Norfolk, Virginia, USA
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by robrien
Please, tell me why you chose my post to respond too. I sure did not direct that post to you or Mr. Hand. I just responded to VARTV question. There were certainly more derogatory post to select from. Glad to see that nothing has changed.

Sorry Robert, I didn't mean to single you out. Yours just typified over a dozen irritated posts on a football game not being in HD. As a station guy, it's not the fact that there is a problem, it's the fact that there is so much griping and speculation about it. Comments like:
  • "'HDTV Brought to you by Sony.' Where is it? You need to fix this!"
  • "I'll go turn the HD feed on if there isn't anyone working there who thinks it's important enough."
  • "I wonder if that is not some kind of FCC violation? I would think that a 'qualified' person be on site at all time the station is broadcasting to address problems."
are over the top for me and, IMO, not called for. These are not productive comments. They solve nothing. They produce nothing.

Now, I realize you guys are just commiserating with one another but - as I have said many times before - we engineering managers do our best to make our HD operations as smooth as possible. It hurts to see this kind of treatment over a problem of this nature. The realities of our business and, to a certain extent, the technology on hand, get in the way. From time to time things don't work the way they should. So when any of us sign on to see what's going on with you - our dedicated HD audience - and see this type of discussion going on, it is disheartening. It's not like we failed to bring you a weather warning that could impact your life or property; inform you about a news story that could effect your commute to work; or deprived you of the actual game: Over a dozen gripes that the game wasn't in HD!

Again, there are a lot of things going on with the business of running a profitable, competitive broadcast business that have nothing to do with the fledgling DTV side of the house. So when we log on to the forum to see our, or someone else's station, getting beat up about a football game not being telecast in HD, our initial reaction just stop participating. We have enough people beating up on us on a daily basis.

I guess the point is: For almost three years, we engineering managers have worked this forum to make our DTV operations as error free as possible. We maintain the site to keep track of problems and frustrations that we might, otherwise, not be aware of. We are diligent in resolving problems when they are brought to our attention. Cut us some slack on issues like this football game. It's not like someone purposely did this to irratate you. Ted is a good man and cares as much about his station's DTV franchise as anyone else does. I'm sure he has spent time and energy resolving whatever issue - if, in fact, it was a local problem - occurred on Sunday.

Peter Dennant
XBE Group
[former Director of Engineering for WVEC-TV/DT]
pdennant is offline  
Old 12-15-2004, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Digitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 1,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by pdennant
It's not like we failed to bring you a weather warning that could impact your life or property; inform you about a news story that could effect your commute to work; or deprived you of the actual game: Over a dozen gripes that the game wasn't in HD!

It is human nature imprinted at infancy. Don't give us something and then take it away. WAAA! We're all getting accustomed to HD now. When something comes on in SD I start searching for my glasses even when they are right on my face.
Digitude is offline  
Old 12-15-2004, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
pdennant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Norfolk, Virginia, USA
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From one of my Technical dailies:
Quote:


FCC's Powell to delay digital TV vote - Dec 13, 2004 11:00 AM

FCC Chairman Michael Powell expects to postpone until early next year a vote on his plan to convert the U.S. television system to digital technology by January 2009, Bloomberg News reported.

Local television stations and broadcasters such as Walt Disney Co.'s ABC network have lobbied against the plan, the report said, stating that consumers aren't prepared to switch to digital TV sets. Police and fire-safety groups have pushed the transition because it would free current airwaves for emergency services.

A delay by Powell may lead Congress to pre-empt the FCC on the issue, increasing the likelihood that the transition to digital TV will be pushed back even further, Precursor Group analyst Rudy Baca told Bloomberg News.

Baca, a former senior aide to then-FCC Chairman James Quello, said the Powell plan was an interesting intellectual exercise that won't be voted on anytime soon. Powell had planned to hold a vote on the issue this week, but now expects to submit it to an agency vote by March, Jonathan Cody, a top Powell aide, told Bloomberg.

Current law calls for broadcasters to return the spectrum once 85 percent of U.S. households receive digital signals, or the year 2006, whichever comes later. Only about 2 percent of U.S. households have digital equipment to receive the signals, according to the Consumer Electronics Association.

Local TV stations represented by the NAB and networks such as ABC and General Electric Co.'s NBC have lobbied against Powell's plan.

Preston Padden, Disney's executive vice president, told Bloomberg that the company fears that the nation's consumers have not been prepared to have the analog TV transmitters shut off. He said too many analog-only TVs, including tens of millions purchased by consumers this year alone, would be rendered useless.

About 15 percent of U.S. households don't pay for cable or satellite TV and receive only broadcast channels over the air. Their TV sets would become obsolete under Powell's plan.

Powell would let networks require cable and satellite TV services to convert digital signals into analog. With this conversion, subscribers who want to keep using their current analog TV sets would be able to see analog-quality pictures.


Peter Dennant
XBE Group
[former Director of Engineering for WVEC-TV/DT]
pdennant is offline  
Old 12-15-2004, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Todd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 2,452
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No sound on The Seinfeld Story again on 10-1. Actually, I did hear a little background music a couple of times but that's it.

No sound during the West Wing either.
Todd is offline  
Old 12-15-2004, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hjriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mathews County, VA
Posts: 1,565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by pdennant
From one of my Technical dailies:

I think one big reason only around 2% of viewers have digital sets is the failure of the manufacturers to offer a low cost set aimed at the mass viewer. Many only want a good tv to watch the news, game shows etc and have no interest in HD. Good conventional analog cheap sets are sold everywhere offering excellent analog PQ so consumers don't see the need to spend the big money on something they perceive don't need.

(consumer reports)

Now one would think that some of these are offering a low cost digital set although I haven't seen one myself.

According to consumer reports some Enhanced digital sets delivers as good a picture as some HD sets at a lot less cost. My sister bought a LCD Enhanced flat panel set for her place in Sandbridge and it has an excellent picture on cable.

The FCC is going to have to get tough and serious about the cange. Unless forced it will never happen IMO. The last paragraph on your post I don't understand. Cable and satellite already are coverting digital signals to analog with their STB's. What would be different about this?

Harold Jackson
hjriver is offline  
Old 12-15-2004, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
pdennant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Norfolk, Virginia, USA
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by hjriver
The last paragraph on your post I don't understand. Cable and satellite already are coverting digital signals to analog with their STB's. What would be different about this?

I think he's referring to the post digital era: Conversion of (the local affiliates) DTV signals to analog signals for use with the older, analog sets. This would make the current STBs obsolete as a new ones, with new demodulators/decoders for the different modulation scheme, would be required.

Peter Dennant
XBE Group
[former Director of Engineering for WVEC-TV/DT]
pdennant is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vurbano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 7,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
thats funny I can view all of the channels with my Voom receiver on an analog set.
vurbano is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
pdennant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Norfolk, Virginia, USA
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Study finds nearly 7 percent of U.S. households own HDTVs Dec 15, 2004 11:39 AM

The percentage of U.S. television households with HD-capable televisions has nearly doubled since last year with 7 percent reporting they had an HDTV as of the end of the third quarter of 2004, according to new research.

A report from the Leichtman Research Group released late last month showed that high-income consumers continue to spur HDTV market penetration.

The study, HDTV Awareness, Interest and Intent to Purchase 2004, found that the mean household income of HDTV owners was about $80,000 per year. That's down $15,000 per year from the mean income of HDTV owners last year.

The study found that while 86 percent of adults had heard of HDTV, many still have limited knowledge of HDTV. The greatest misunderstandings are among consumers who do not have an HDTV set.

Of those who own HDTVS, a majority of consumers are not actually watching HDTV programming but think that they are. The study found that 65 percent of HDTV owners believe they are receiving HDTV programming from cable or satellite service providers, but an analysis showed that the true figure is about half of that total.

Other findings include:
  • Eighty-six percent of adults nationwide have heard of HDTV - up from 73 percent last year
  • Fourteen percent of those with annual household incomes above $75,000 have an HDTV, compared to 5 percent of households with annual incomes below $75,000
  • The mean household income of those most likely to get an HDTV set in the next year is 30 percent above the average household income in the United States
  • Fifteen percent of HDTV owners have more than one HDTV in their household, and 20 percent of HDTV owners plan to purchase another HDTV set in the next year
Leichtman Research Group surveyed 1300 U.S. households for the report.

For more information, visit www.leichtmanresearch.com/research.html#studie


Peter Dennant
XBE Group
[former Director of Engineering for WVEC-TV/DT]
pdennant is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Digitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 1,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by pdennant
Of those who own HDTVS, a majority of consumers are not actually watching HDTV programming but think that they are.

HA! Thats funny. Everyone I know think DVDs are hi def. Cox was hooking people up to their HD converters using composite and S-video cables. People are stupid.
Digitude is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TH3_FRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 1,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Not stupid...just ignorant...and I mean that in the true definition of the word, not as an insult.

Quote:


Originally posted by Digitude
People are stupid.

TH3_FRB is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Digitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 1,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by TH3_FRB
Not stupid...just ignorant...and I mean that in the true definition of the word, not as an insult.

Well....if the Cox guy is technically trained and uses composite hookup for HD.....S-T-U-P-I-D. In every sense of the word. Insult intended!
Digitude is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 11:02 AM
Senior Member
 
kgoetz97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hampton Roads, VA (Smithfield)
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by pdennant
Sorry Robert, I didn't mean to single you out. Yours just typified over a dozen irritated posts on a football game not being in HD. As a station guy, it's not the fact that there is a problem, it's the fact that there is so much griping and speculation about it. Comments like:
  • "'HDTV Brought to you by Sony.' Where is it? You need to fix this!"
  • "I'll go turn the HD feed on if there isn't anyone working there who thinks it's important enough."
  • "I wonder if that is not some kind of FCC violation? I would think that a 'qualified' person be on site at all time the station is broadcasting to address problems."
are over the top for me and, IMO, not called for. These are not productive comments. They solve nothing. They produce nothing.

Now, I realize you guys are just commiserating with one another but - as I have said many times before - we engineering managers do our best to make our HD operations as smooth as possible. It hurts to see this kind of treatment over a problem of this nature. The realities of our business and, to a certain extent, the technology on hand, get in the way. From time to time things don't work the way they should. So when any of us sign on to see what's going on with you - our dedicated HD audience - and see this type of discussion going on, it is disheartening. It's not like we failed to bring you a weather warning that could impact your life or property; inform you about a news story that could effect your commute to work; or deprived you of the actual game: Over a dozen gripes that the game wasn't in HD!

Again, there are a lot of things going on with the business of running a profitable, competitive broadcast business that have nothing to do with the fledgling DTV side of the house. So when we log on to the forum to see our, or someone else's station, getting beat up about a football game not being telecast in HD, our initial reaction just stop participating. We have enough people beating up on us on a daily basis.

I guess the point is: For almost three years, we engineering managers have worked this forum to make our DTV operations as error free as possible. We maintain the site to keep track of problems and frustrations that we might, otherwise, not be aware of. We are diligent in resolving problems when they are brought to our attention. Cut us some slack on issues like this football game. It's not like someone purposely did this to irratate you. Ted is a good man and cares as much about his station's DTV franchise as anyone else does. I'm sure he has spent time and energy resolving whatever issue - if, in fact, it was a local problem - occurred on Sunday.

Peter,
First off...again...thanks for the posts. Having "insider" information is very helpful and educates the consumer as to the issues and problems that arise.

Having said that, I am one of those who have griped (perhaps even loudly) here on the site about CBS not broadcasting their football in HD when it has been advertised as such. I can count 4 different Sundays throughout the NFL season when a game was not sent through TKR in HD. I know that there have been a couple of Saturday college games and the T-giving NFL game that was not passed on in HD. That represents a pretty significant number of games....especially when you are a diehard football fan I would not have an issue with a game or two not getting sent in HD, but we're beyond that.

I can't speak for others, but my frustration has been growing with the situation. We can all speculate as to why the games are not being broadcast but it really would be great to hear from TKR. If the issue is with NYC..so be it. If the issue is with staffing at TKR...so bet it. If the issue is with something else...so be it. An explanation/description of the issue would calm the storm tremendously. Communication is key in many things.

Most of us have jobs where we get griped at to a certain extent. You and your colleagues just so happen to have a position that is very visible and important to many HD fans so you do face more griping in a very public forum. I also know that it is important to take responsibility for issues and to deal with them in a professional manner.

In the end, I'm sure that TKR (and Ted) want the same thing as us, but sometimes silence can be deafening and very frustrating. People expressing their frustrations and empathizing with each other can be very carthartic. People calling somebody else stupid or incapable or some other unpleasant adjective is totaly unproductive. Nobody should be subjected to that....even over HD

Cheers....and Happy Holidays

Life is good...
kgoetz97 is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
Les Garrenton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 810
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by Todd
No sound on The Seinfeld Story again on 10-1. Actually, I did hear a little background music a couple of times but that's it.

No sound during the West Wing either.


Todd, thanks for the report. I'm curious if anyone else had the same issues with the sound.
Les Garrenton is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HILLTOP SAILOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by Les Garrenton
Todd, thanks for the report. I'm curious if anyone else had the same issues with the sound.

I have been experiencing HDTV sound issues with several local stations/networks. No center channel on MNF(WVEC) and no sound at all for West Wing(WAVY) this past week alone.

Drew
HILLTOP SAILOR is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
robertawillisjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Hampton, VA
Posts: 1,321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Les,

I didn't watch all of West Wing, but there was no sound when I did tune it in.
robertawillisjr is online now  
Old 12-16-2004, 01:31 PM
Senior Member
 
George Randell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Norfolk VA
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by Les Garrenton
Todd, thanks for the report. I'm curious if anyone else had the same issues with the sound.

Les,

I did notice the problem with the West Wing.

I believe there was some sound, but no dialog. Like a 5.1 network feed with the studio set to 2 channel stereo. I just switched to 10-2 and it was fine there.
George Randell is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
Les Garrenton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 810
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the feedback!
Les Garrenton is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Todd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 2,452
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by George Randell
Les,

I did notice the problem with the West Wing.

I believe there was some sound, but no dialog. Like a 5.1 network feed with the studio set to 2 channel stereo. I just switched to 10-2 and it was fine there.

Just an FYI for Les, of the little bit of background music I did hear (that typical Seinfeld music at the end of a segment), most of it was through the center speaker.
Todd is offline  
Old 12-16-2004, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vurbano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 7,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:


Originally posted by TH3_FRB
Not stupid...just ignorant...and I mean that in the true definition of the word, not as an insult.

What is really hard for me to understand is that these people see HD on the set at the store over component or DVI, then hook up composite and have no memory of what it was supposed to look like? Dont they even read the manual?
vurbano is offline  
Old 12-18-2004, 07:28 AM
Senior Member
 
dkyork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone confirm if the Steelers game is going to be in HD today on 3-1? I know in the guide it says it does, but it has before.

Dale
dkyork is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off