post #481 of 6676 Old 12-18-2004, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Originally posted by dkyork
Can anyone confirm if the Steelers game is going to be in HD today on 3-1? I know in the guide it says it does, but it has before.

Dale

TitanTV also says HD... Since it's a stand-alone game on CBS (and FOX later) today, good bet it will be in HD...

Robert F Corbin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 | Virginia Media News & Information

email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook:

twitter:

linkedin:

google+:

pinterest:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 6676 Old 12-18-2004, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by vurbano
... Dont they even read the manual?

As an installation & service tech, I can confirm that VERY FEW consumers EVER even THINK of reading any manuals. Many don't even keep them, more can't remember where they put them and most get so frustrated, trying to translate the awful "Japan-english" they're written in, they just give up.

John Chester

"No matter where you go... there you are."
post #483 of 6676 Old 12-18-2004, 08:23 AM

Les,

A report on WAVY status as of 10:20 am Saturday in case you are not aware. No video/audio on 10-1, no audio on 10-2. Same symptoms on both my Hitachi and Zenith receivers. Rescan tried with no change.

Dave Hahne
Poquoson, VA
<><
post #484 of 6676 Old 12-18-2004, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by dhahne
Les,

A report on WAVY status as of 10:20 am Saturday in case you are not aware. No video/audio on 10-1, no audio on 10-2. Same symptoms on both my Hitachi and Zenith receivers. Rescan tried with no change.

I just checked on it here at 11:26am and found the following:

- My HDTiVo appears to be picking up 10-1,2,3 just fine.

- My Hitachi HDTV is picking up 10-1 just fine, but 10-2 is the same as 10-1 and 10-3 is what should normally be on 10-2.

Audio is fine across the board.
post #485 of 6676 Old 12-18-2004, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Les,

Everything is normal on 10-1, 10-2 and 10-3 on my RCA DTC-100.

Harold Jackson
post #486 of 6676 Old 12-18-2004, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes we had some equipment problems this morning. It should be back to normal now.

We also think that we found the problem with the 5.1 audio from the other night. It looks like the problem was on our end and was just a case of ending up with the wrong Dolby encoder on-line after working on the closed captioning problem I posted about a few days ago. That should be corrected now.
post #487 of 6676 Old 12-18-2004, 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by pdennant
Over a dozen gripes that the game wasn't in HD!

...getting beat up about a football game not being telecast in HD...

Cut us some slack on issues like this football game.

Peter,

I understand that, in the grander scheme of the broadcasters' mandates and responsibilities to keep viewers informed about more important, even life saving issues, football games (HD or not) may seem trivial.

I also agree that many of the comments listed here are way over the top, in their bitchiness. I also get angry and embarrassed by many of them.

BUT...

I wouldn't pooh-pooh football's importance in the DTV transition. Football (and other sports programming) is a GREAT and POWERFUL means of showing off the advantages and appeal of High Definition television, just as it was in the color transition!

If we HD zealots invite our friends & neighbors over to view HDTV to show it off & get them hooked, it will most likely be to see sports and it will most likely be on the weekends and holidays. If Jim Nance comes on, saying "HDTV" before a game and it's not, it blows the whole thing. It embarrasses the host zealot and tells the guests that this new format is only half-baked and not ready for the masses.

It helps to keep the old chicken-egg argument alive and slows the transition, hence the frustration of us zealots.

I would think that in HD programming, higher attention and priority SHOULD be given to weekend/holiday sports, if the intent is to win over more HD viewers and getting you guys (except Les) back to running one station at a time.

Just my $.02

John Chester

post #488 of 6676 Old 12-18-2004, 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by johncchester
Many don't even keep them, more can't remember where they put them and most get so frustrated, trying to translate the awful "Japan-english" they're written in, they just give up.

You should try and read the Tech Service Manuals! They spell all the words the way they pronounce them! EX: Vertical Deflection Circuit = Vertical Defrection Circuit"

Bill Bibeau, CBT
Retired Broadcasting Engineer
post #489 of 6676 Old 12-18-2004, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... I wouldn't pooh-pooh football's importance in the DTV transition. Football (and other sports programming) is a GREAT and POWERFUL means of showing off the advantages and appeal of High Definition television, just as it was in the color transition!

If we HD zealots invite our friends & neighbors over to view HDTV to show it off & get them hooked, it will most likely be to see sports and it will most likely be on the weekends and holidays. If Jim Nance comes on, saying "HDTV" before a game and it's not, it blows the whole thing. It embarrasses the host zealot and tells the guests that this new format is only half-baked and not ready for the masses...

I agree with this statement...

My parents were bragging to all their friends that they were going over their son's house to watch the Turkey Day football games in hi-def. As we all remember, we were let down by WTKR (or whoever/whatever was responsible for the SD broadcast).

Robert F Corbin

email:

facebook:

twitter:

linkedin:

google+:

pinterest:

post #490 of 6676 Old 12-18-2004, 01:59 PM

Today's Steelers / Giants game looked great!

I finally got my HD restored today when I remounted my dish. (Long story)

I found it VERY disturbing, when I learned that NO Dish Network HD receivers will pass OTA signals, unless they are receiving a valid sat signal!

5 days, with no HD at all, was hell for this HD junkie!

John Chester

post #491 of 6676 Old 12-18-2004, 02:31 PM

anyone watching the Redskins 49ers OTA on 43-1. I have a new OTA and am having a lot of pixelation and freeze frame (sorry if I don't know the correct jargon). I watched the Steelers Giants on 3-1 and it was beautiful with very little signal loss.

It may be my antenna. Just want to make sure before I climb into the attic.

thanks,
post #492 of 6676 Old 12-18-2004, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Anybody having trouble getting 27-1 or 3-1 in? 27-1 is at 100% signal but no pic or sound 3-1 is at 93% and the same.

Edit: Nevermind I checked back a few posts and I saw I had to rescan to get 27-1 and 3-1 because of some changes. Haven't been watching much tv lately so I missed that

post #493 of 6676 Old 12-18-2004, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Remember the Titans is not in HD tonight on 13-1?
post #494 of 6676 Old 12-18-2004, 06:03 PM

Quote:

I found it VERY disturbing, when I learned that NO Dish Network HD receivers will pass OTA signals, unless they are receiving a valid sat signal!

Yes John, it is a PIA when it is raining heavily and the rain fade causes you to no get OTA signals...however, if you are already on an OTA station, it will continue working as long as you don't try to receive a satellite signal. You can go from OTA channel to channel...as long as you don't attempt to get a satellite station.

Bill Bibeau, CBT
post #495 of 6676 Old 12-18-2004, 06:06 PM

Quote:

Remember the Titans is not in HD tonight on 13-1?

I just checked....it is in HD at my house!

Bill Bibeau, CBT
post #496 of 6676 Old 12-18-2004, 06:45 PM

Quote:

I found it VERY disturbing, when I learned that NO Dish Network HD receivers will pass OTA signals, unless they are receiving a valid sat signal! 5 days, with no HD at all, was hell for this HD junkie!

Voom (Motorola) OTA/Satellite receiver does not have this problem. Its really two receivers, one for OTA channels below 100, and a sat receiver for higher channels. Do you mean that you lose local OTA channels -- even when satellite fades out in rain storm too!
post #497 of 6676 Old 12-18-2004, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by BillBibeau
I just checked....it is in HD at my house!

It was in 16x9 HD after awhile. Not sure why it started out in 4x3 SD?
post #498 of 6676 Old 12-19-2004, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by gtadell
anyone watching the Redskins 49ers OTA on 43-1. I have a new OTA and am having a lot of pixelation and freeze frame (sorry if I don't know the correct jargon). I watched the Steelers Giants on 3-1 and it was beautiful with very little signal loss.

It may be my antenna. Just want to make sure before I climb into the attic.

thanks,

No problems with FOX. Infact it was one of their best PQ efforts to date.
post #499 of 6676 Old 12-19-2004, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No problems with FOX. Infact it was one of their best PQ efforts to date.

Agree...

My perception is that WVBT (and/or FOX) has the best PQ. Sharp, bright, colorful picture...

Robert F Corbin

email:

facebook:

twitter:

linkedin:

google+:

pinterest:

post #500 of 6676 Old 12-19-2004, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Frequent audio drops on Fox the last 5-10 min or so. No issues with the video. The first half of the game was fine.

EDIT: This appears to be a national problem...others are reporting it in the Fox NFL thread. Of course the commercials are fine...just the game is screwed up
post #501 of 6676 Old 12-19-2004, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

Originally posted by VARTV
My perception is that WVBT (and/or FOX) has the best PQ. Sharp, bright, colorful picture...

I agree with you. FOX has the best OTA HD picture.
But remember 1 year ago when everyone on this forum and others, were bitching about FOX's 480p Widescreen format.
Look at the difference 1 year makes.

However, today, I too have noticed the audio problems during the Cowboys/Eagles game. Great picture, with frequent audio dropouts in 3rd quarter.

Also, the past few Monday night football games on 13-1 have had audio issues for me as well with no center channel audio.

I agree with John Chester's comment, that when freinds and family come over to see a demo of HDTV, we obviously want to impress them. It will definitly help sell more HDTV's. Live HD football is perfect, and is very embarrasing when its not there when you say it will be. Its hard to explain to them, that its the local TV affliates (or national) causing the problem with lack of HD, not my equipment.
I know myself, that 2 of my close freinds now own HDTV's because they saw my set first. And it was HD football that did the trick. Within a month, they had thier own set.

Now that HD Tivo is here, I always have something to show off, no matter what problems may exist OTA when they arrive. But it aint live...like HD football.

UPDATE: In the fourth quarter, (3:30pm) the audio dropouts have stopped. Thanks to however fixed the problem.

Steve

post #502 of 6676 Old 12-19-2004, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by obxdiver
UPDATE: In the fourth quarter, (3:30pm) the audio dropouts have stopped. Thanks to however fixed the problem.

In this case it was a problem with that particular FOX regional feed that was affecting all stations carrying it. It looks like FOX has fixed the problem.
post #503 of 6676 Old 12-19-2004, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Strange no one saw the video shifts? It was not reception related. Very strange as well. It stopped when the audio problems stopped.
post #504 of 6676 Old 12-19-2004, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

With WTKR showing another HD game in SD, I'm so glad that WVBT is carrying the SuperBowl. I'm losing faith in 3...

Robert F Corbin

email:

facebook:

twitter:

linkedin:

google+:

pinterest:

post #505 of 6676 Old 12-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
WTKR-DT

The Jacksonville/Green Bay game was switched to HD at 4:28. CBS swithced to the Texans/Chicago game (WHICH WTKR HAD NO CONTROL OVER) The automation caught the SD to HD switch at the 4:28 break and corrected it.

Ted Hand, CPBE. 8VSB, DRB, AMD
I was there on July 23, 1996...First DTV broadcast in the US..WRAL-HD

Amateur Radio - W9SOC

post #506 of 6676 Old 12-19-2004, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Due to a component failure locally any NBC programming will be upconverted SD until tomorrow.
post #507 of 6676 Old 12-19-2004, 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Les Garrenton
Due to a component failure locally any NBC programming will be upconverted SD until tomorrow.

On the plus side Les, there is picture and sound on 10-1. Earlier today the picture was back but without audio (perhaps that was the component that failed?)

Dave Hahne
Poquoson, VA
<><
post #508 of 6676 Old 12-19-2004, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

On the plus side Les, there is picture and sound on 10-1. Earlier today the picture was back but without audio (perhaps that was the component that failed?)

That's right, an audio distribution amplifier failed.
post #509 of 6676 Old 12-19-2004, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Les Garrenton

Les, no audio on 10-2 for 6pm news. 10-1 all ok

Harold Jackson
post #510 of 6676 Old 12-19-2004, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by hjriver
Les, no audio on 10-2 for 6pm news. 10-1 all ok

Thanks for the heads up.