Norfolk, VA - OTA - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 6677 Old 12-19-2004, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The first CBS game had very noticeable pixellization on many of the fast moving scenes. Did not seem very sharp as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 6677 Old 12-19-2004, 06:38 PM

Liked: 10
Still some lip sync error during Wizard of Oz. Error is not much but it is noticable especially when compared to 33-1.

Dave Hahne
Poquoson, VA
<><
post #513 of 6677 Old 12-20-2004, 04:45 AM

Fox 43 had a lot of audio drops durning the football game which made it hard to watch, so I had to go to ABc. Was this problem fix with Fox??
post #514 of 6677 Old 12-20-2004, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Originally posted by jimmykce
Fox 43 had a lot of audio drops durning the football game which made it hard to watch, so I had to go to ABc. Was this problem fix with Fox??

Read the above posts. Yes it was fixed in the 4th quarter. Les gave a description of what happened
post #515 of 6677 Old 12-20-2004, 06:11 AM

anyone know where I can get a pre-amp for a Channelmaster 4228 8 bay? Does anyone in the Hampton roads area sell these??
post #516 of 6677 Old 12-20-2004, 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by gtadell
anyone know where I can get a pre-amp for a Channelmaster 4228 8 bay? Does anyone in the Hampton roads area sell these??

Domes in Chesapeake sells the Channelmaster 4228 and they probably will carry amps and preamps too.
post #517 of 6677 Old 12-20-2004, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In addition to Domes, I believe that Cain Electronics in Norfolk might have pre-amps too. But be careful, a lot of times a pre-amp can actually make matters worse, and in some cases some cheap attenuation (only a few bucks at Cain or Radio Shack) can actually improve performance, particularly if you're located right in the metro.
post #518 of 6677 Old 12-20-2004, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
WTKR-DT

WTKR-DT had a major problem with one of its tubes last night. We will be at 1/2 power for awhile.

In other news, WTKR-DT purchased a third tube/power amp on Friday and will increase its power to 950KW (full power) by May 1, 2005.

Ted Hand, CPBE. 8VSB, DRB, AMD
I was there on July 23, 1996...First DTV broadcast in the US..WRAL-HD

Amateur Radio - W9SOC

post #519 of 6677 Old 12-20-2004, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ted,

Thanks for the updates. It was good to see the equipment switch back to HD for the late game. I was hoping there was just some delayed problem related to the extra 1PM game coverage that could be fixed...

Signal strength here in Williamsburg is maybe a few points lower, but not much. I didn't see any evidence of signal problems in the few minutes I had the TV on. I think it's probably still strong enough to survive some precipitation out here. We'll be able to pick your signal up with a clothes hanger once you go to full power.

Bruce
post #520 of 6677 Old 12-20-2004, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

any radio shack store
post #521 of 6677 Old 12-20-2004, 05:15 PM

Quote:

Stay away from the Radio Shack amps. They are prone to overload and internally create spurious signals which may mess up your digital reception. Channel Master makes a good one available at Lowe's in addition to Domes or Cain.

Bill Bibeau, CBT
Retired Broadcasting Engineer
post #522 of 6677 Old 12-20-2004, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BillBibeau
Stay away from the Radio Shack amps. They are prone to overload and internally create spurious signals which may mess up your digital reception. Channel Master makes a good one available at Lowe's in addition to Domes or Cain.

Several months ago after reading post after post about how good the CM amps are vs the RS amps, I ordered a CM-8888 from Solid Signal and replaced my old RS amp. I do not see one bit of measurable difference in the performance of the two. I do concede since I don't suffer multi-path so the camparision may not be valid as the performance might be quite different when handling multi-path signals.

Harold Jackson
post #523 of 6677 Old 12-20-2004, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hjriver
Several months ago after reading post after post about how good the CM amps are vs the RS amps, I ordered a CM-8888 from Solid Signal and replaced my old RS amp. I do not see one bit of measurable difference in the performance of the two. I do concede since I don't suffer multi-path so the camparision may not be valid as the performance might be quite different when handling multi-path signals.

You hit the nail right on the head! In sections where multi-path signals are present, especially if they are strong signals, the Radio Shack amps begin to show their poor signal handling qualities. In weak signal areas, without the presence of strong RF signals, they work as well and any other amps.

Bill Bibeau, CBT
Retired Broadcasting Engineer
post #524 of 6677 Old 12-20-2004, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You hit the nail right on the head! In sections where multi-path signals are present, especially if they are strong signals, the Radio Shack amps begin to show their poor signal handling qualities. In weak signal areas, without the presence of strong RF signals, they work as well and any other amps.

With the RS amp my signal strengths were in the middle 70's so I thought I should boost them. The CM gives the same readings. Since then though I've formed an opinion that maybe a lot of problems some have is signal overload with strong multipath causing confusion in the receivers. I watched channel 6-1 in Richmond the other day with a signal strength of 38 and it was stable. I think those in the metro area should try Les's suggestion of using an variable attenuator before installing an amp.

Harold Jackson
post #525 of 6677 Old 12-20-2004, 07:32 PM

I am about 30 miles away from the antennas. I have a CM 4288 and am getting a good signal on 3-1 and 13-1. 43-1, 15-1, and 10-1 are spotty. I live in the south end of Va. Beach just off Sandbridge Rd. near Lago Mar. The antenna is in the attic. Does anyone think a pre-amp would be helpful or am I better off working on the antenna positioning. I have an HD-Tivo and also an HD tuner in my plasma TV.
Thanks for any advice.
post #526 of 6677 Old 12-20-2004, 08:45 PM

My antenna is a Radio Shack yagi style UHF only antenna. It was in my attic and I was getting everything except 3 and 13. 2 Weeks ago I moved it outside and mounted it on my chimney. I now get all of the same stations plus 13, but channel 3 is still not recieving any signal. Signal strength on all others is great with no dropouts. I live in a heavily wooded neighborhood on Independence near Shore Drive. My question is this - could myproblem be multi-path or am I just not able to get channel 3? The digital signal meter for channel 3 never even registers a blip. If I was having multi-path problems on 3 would I be seeing a hit or miss signal? If I rotate the antenna I can get a spotty signal from 3 with alot of dropouts, but I lose everything else. I am trying to decide if an attebuator would help, if different antenna would work, or if I am just plain hosed. Thanks for any help!

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD 60" Plasma TV
Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH Receiver
Pioneer Elite BDP-94HD Blu-Ray Player
Toshiba HD-XA1 HD-DVD Player
TiVo HD XL

"We are only immortal for a limited time."
post #527 of 6677 Old 12-20-2004, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Dear Santa:
Thank you for putting tonight's great MNF telecast in Peter's Christmas Stocking!

Drew
post #528 of 6677 Old 12-21-2004, 05:08 AM

Just wanted to take an opportunity to publicly thank all those who participate in this forum for the great flow of information over the last year. A lot has been learned by all. As with any emerging technology there is a fairly steep learning curve, both on the providers part as well as the consumers.

I would also like to thank the station personnel who participate here as it helps a bunch to have an inside line when things go south. They put in much hard work and receive little praise. To all remember to thank them for the good things. Much to often all we ever do is carp about the perceived mistakes. I say perceived because, on my end at least, a lot of reception problems are my fault with no fault on the stations themselves. These folks are working hard to provide a quality product to us and I feel are doing a great job, many thanks to them all.

Most important; TO ALL A VERY MERRY HOLIDAY SEASON AND A PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR!

Matt Bode
Hampton, VA

Matt
"Damn Dear, it looks like I'm looking out the window"
post #529 of 6677 Old 12-21-2004, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Follow Who?
My antenna is a Radio Shack yagi style UHF only antenna. I live in a heavily wooded neighborhood on Independence near Shore Drive. My question is this - could myproblem be multi-path or am I just not able to get channel 3?

I thought multipath was caused by airplanes, high buildings or atmospheric ducting. Where you live and this time of year I don't see where any of those should be a problem. I live in Ocean Park off Shore Drive and am surrounded by tall pines. I get strong signals for all stations with the same Rat Shack yagi. You might just have a bad connection. Check your balun, co-ax and connectors especially outside for weather or corrosion. My house is three stories so my antenna is up around 25-30 feet. Perhaps you need more elevation.
post #530 of 6677 Old 12-21-2004, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
I am about 30 miles away from the antennas. I have a CM 4288 and am getting a good signal on 3-1 and 13-1. 43-1, 15-1, and 10-1 are spotty. I live in the south end of Va. Beach just off Sandbridge Rd. near Lago Mar. The antenna is in the attic. Does anyone think a pre-amp would be helpful or am I better off working on the antenna positioning. I have an HD-Tivo and also an HD tuner in my plasma TV.
Thanks for any advice.

I'm not too far from you, just north of Heron Ridge on Seaboard Rd. I have a 4228 in the attic with DirecTV's HD TiVo. Most stations signal "strength" are around 90, WTVZ from the mid 50s to mid 60s. Sometimes get WUND/2 (20.1-5) in the evenings. If I adjust the antenna just 5 or 10 degrees, WUND shoots up to the 70s but I lose WTVZ...

When Domes installed the antenna and after a quick compass reading, we actually used WTVZ as the reference signal. We tweaked it to get the highest number possible. We just turned up the volume on the signal strength meter and made the tweaks while in the attic. If you can get TVZ, there's a very good chance you can get the other DTVs...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #531 of 6677 Old 12-21-2004, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Is anyone else having trouble getting a signal from 33-1. I have never been able to get a signal, so I though that they were not sending one out, but after all the input about the Wizard of Oz the other night, obviously people are receiving this station. I am using the Silver Sensor and I am near the Courthouse area of Virginia Beach. Most of my other stations are coming through at 80-90%, but my HD reciever is not even "seeing" 33-1 or 33-2. Is the singal that much weaker that I need a different antenna?

Thanks for the input,

J-dubb
post #532 of 6677 Old 12-21-2004, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I have never gotten a reliable signal (more than a day) from 33-1 since they lowered their power last year (I think it was last year sometime). Some days I see the lock indicator flicker from red to green. :-). I have an older receiver which may be part of the problem.
post #533 of 6677 Old 12-21-2004, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by robertawillisjr
I have never gotten a reliable signal (more than a day) from 33-1 since they lowered their power last year (I think it was last year sometime). Some days I see the lock indicator flicker from red to green. :-). I have an older receiver which may be part of the problem.

I'm getting 33-1 rock solid this morning with an average 58 signal strength here in Mathews. No drop or pixelation at all. Distance from transmitter 47 miles. They have the lowest signal strength of all but it has been no problem at all to receive their signal. I have an older receiver also. RCA DT-100.

Harold Jackson
post #534 of 6677 Old 12-21-2004, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hjriver
I'm getting 33-1 rock solid this morning with an average 58 signal strength here in Mathews. No drop or pixelation at all. Distance from transmitter 47 miles. They have the lowest signal strength of all but it has been no problem at all to receive their signal. I have an older receiver also. RCA DT-100.

Does 33 have any HD programming? I scanned through briefly the other night to see if Wizard was in HD.
post #535 of 6677 Old 12-21-2004, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by J-dubb16
Is anyone else having trouble getting a signal from 33-1. I have never been able to get a signal, so I though that they were not sending one out, but after all the input about the Wizard of Oz the other night, obviously people are receiving this station. I am using the Silver Sensor and I am near the Courthouse area of Virginia Beach. Most of my other stations are coming through at 80-90%, but my HD reciever is not even "seeing" 33-1 or 33-2. Is the singal that much weaker that I need a different antenna?

Thanks for the input,

J-dubb

It could be many, many reasons why you're not receiving WTVZ-DT. Just checked the strength on my HD TiVo -- ~60. My Channel Master 4228 is located in my attic, right next to the attic window. It's about 25 feet up. There are no near-by trees or homes in the line of sight of my antenna. For my situation, the 4228 is great...

After the post DTV transition, hopefully I can still get WVEC (which is moving back to 13), WAVY (IF they chose to move back to 10) and WSKY-DT/4 with the 4228. It's a UHF only antenna. If not, I'll be shopping for a new antenna...

FYI: I believe Ted at WTKR has stated that his staion plans on keeping their current DTV allotment on channel 40. I get a very strong signal from them and they're not even at full power (1/2 to 2/3???) yet...

Robert F Corbin

post #536 of 6677 Old 12-21-2004, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Digitude
Does 33 have any HD programming? I scanned through briefly the other night to see if Wizard was in HD.

Yes they do. Unfortunately there has been a lip-sync problem on several of their shows. Not sure if it's a WB problem or locally. I watched one show with Jennie Garth (from Beverly Hills 90210 fame) and it's in HD. But it had lip sync problems plus the show was awful...

Robert F Corbin

post #537 of 6677 Old 12-21-2004, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VARTV
But it had lip sync problems plus the show was awful...

Speaking of awful programming....I have INHD now and had Voom for awhile. I wonder why only bad movies are shown in HD. Are these the only films not owned by Ted Turner or anyone else that licensing is still available? I've only seen one decent movie in HD over the past year; Greystoke, and it really wasn't that great. Most seem to be crappy musicals, comedies and such from the 60s.
post #538 of 6677 Old 12-21-2004, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Digitude
Speaking of awful programming....I have INHD now and had Voom for awhile. I wonder why only bad movies are shown in HD. Are these the only films not owned by Ted Turner or anyone else that licensing is still available? I've only seen one decent movie in HD over the past year; Greystoke, and it really wasn't that great. Most seem to be crappy musicals, comedies and such from the 60s.

HDNet 1 & 2 is similiar to INHD. Really nothing worth while watching, for me anyways...

I'm curious when DirecTV will add Skin-a-Max HD, Starz! HD, TMC-HD to it's line-up. I've been watching a little bit more movies since getting my HD set-up a few months back...

Robert F Corbin

post #539 of 6677 Old 12-21-2004, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

My RCA DTC-200 will not show a signal stregth for a channel it has not found. It will just say channel unavailable. My signal strength for all the other channels - 3, 10, 13, 15, 27, and 43 is in the 80-90% range. I have scanned the channels several times with no luck. I can not simply scan or add a single channel with my reciever that I know of.

Thanks for any help.

J-dubb
post #540 of 6677 Old 12-21-2004, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry but I am in the exact senario you descibe and do not experience any problems. I had severe multipath before I got a directional Yagi, so I know I am in a severve multipath area. No problems with the RS amp I added to elevate the WB signal. All signals coming in at 100. Many were in the 90's before the amp as well.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page