Norfolk, VA - OTA - Page 218 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6511 of 6677 Old 10-23-2011, 01:32 PM
Senior Member
 
CHeath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hampton, VA
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

Is it just me or is WVEC not broadcasting OTA today? All of my TVs are getting no signal off the antennas for channel 13.1 and 13.2 today.

I'm receiving it fine in Hampton.
CHeath is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6512 of 6677 Old 10-23-2011, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
VARTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: VA Beach, VA 23456
Posts: 4,847
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

Is it just me or is WVEC not broadcasting OTA today? All of my TVs are getting no signal off the antennas for channel 13.1 and 13.2 today.

This could be too late, but OK in VB...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information


email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

VARTV is offline  
post #6513 of 6677 Old 10-24-2011, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Buckeye911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 3,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHeath View Post

I'm receiving it fine in Hampton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post

This could be too late, but OK in VB...

It came back about an hour after I posted, strange. I guess it must have been some local interference, it didn't even show up on a channel scan but was back about an hour later.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
Buckeye911 is offline  
post #6514 of 6677 Old 11-29-2011, 01:08 PM
Member
 
Dugout Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in Virginia beach, near the amphitheater, in landstown lakes, behind the Kohls.

What outdoor antenna do I need? Give me the best bang for my buck?
Dugout Doug is offline  
post #6515 of 6677 Old 11-30-2011, 04:54 AM
Senior Member
 
starrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugout Doug View Post

I am in Virginia beach, near the amphitheater, in landstown lakes, behind the Kohls.

What outdoor antenna do I need? Give me the best bang for my buck?

The Local FAQ Might Help You
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6647492
starrin is offline  
post #6516 of 6677 Old 11-30-2011, 05:20 AM
Member
 
Dugout Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrin View Post

The Local FAQ Might Help You
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6647492

I have been on this forum for quite some time. I didnt know that was there. Ha. Thanks!
Dugout Doug is offline  
post #6517 of 6677 Old 12-20-2011, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
obxdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: SouthEastCoast, VA
Posts: 1,448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Has anyone noticed that WAVY-HD (via Direct TV) very often the picture freezes for a few milliseconds?
I keep seeing this only on that channel. I have been seeing this for at least 2 weeks now.
obxdiver is offline  
post #6518 of 6677 Old 12-20-2011, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
VARTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: VA Beach, VA 23456
Posts: 4,847
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxdiver View Post

Has anyone noticed that WAVY-HD (via Direct TV) very often the picture freezes for a few milliseconds?
I keep seeing this only on that channel. I have been seeing this for at least 2 weeks now.

Will watch this morning...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information


email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

VARTV is offline  
post #6519 of 6677 Old 12-20-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
VARTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: VA Beach, VA 23456
Posts: 4,847
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxdiver View Post

Has anyone noticed that WAVY-HD (via Direct TV) very often the picture freezes for a few milliseconds?
I keep seeing this only on that channel. I have been seeing this for at least 2 weeks now.

There have been some tiny hiccups...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information


email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

VARTV is offline  
post #6520 of 6677 Old 12-20-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
obxdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: SouthEastCoast, VA
Posts: 1,448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post

There have been some tiny hiccups...

Yes tiny, although easy to distinguish
I went to OTA this morning and have not seen it.
It must be something with the D* feed.
I am changing over to FIOS next week
Will I like it compared to D*?
obxdiver is offline  
post #6521 of 6677 Old 12-20-2011, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
VARTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: VA Beach, VA 23456
Posts: 4,847
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxdiver View Post

Yes tiny, although easy to distinguish
I went to OTA this morning and have not seen it.
It must be something with the D* feed.
I am changing over to FIOS next week
Will I like it compared to D*?

Depending on your TV... Are you watching on a large screen and close? FiOS will probably "look" a bit better...

I just have FiOS Internet and phone... nor their TV service. Very happy with DirecTV and my setup...

I did get a letter telling me my FiOS package is going up $10...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information


email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

VARTV is offline  
post #6522 of 6677 Old 12-20-2011, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
obxdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: SouthEastCoast, VA
Posts: 1,448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post

Depending on your TV... Are you watching on a large screen and close? FiOS will probably "look" a bit better...

I just have FiOS Internet and phone... nor their TV service. Very happy with DirecTV and my setup...

I did get a letter telling me my FiOS package is going up $10...

Watching on a new Sharp Elite 70" from 12 feet away
I could not pass up the Fios triple play deal for the 35/35 internet speed, phone, and Ultimate HD package for $110/month for 24 months.
obxdiver is offline  
post #6523 of 6677 Old 12-20-2011, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
VARTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: VA Beach, VA 23456
Posts: 4,847
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxdiver View Post

Watching on a new Sharp Elite 70" from 12 feet away
I could not pass up the Fios triple play deal for the 35/35 internet speed, phone, and Ultimate HD package for $110/month for 24 months.

Yikes!!! Great deal! I think you'll be quite happy with FiOS on that 70 incher. I watch DirecTV on a 65 inch Sammy about 14 feet away. I really can't notice the difference. What I have invested in my DirecTV setup, Sunday Ticket HD, and their multi-room viewing (virtual 8 tuners), happy with them.

Do you have room to hang your new TV? What is your new set replacing??

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information


email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

VARTV is offline  
post #6524 of 6677 Old 12-20-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
obxdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: SouthEastCoast, VA
Posts: 1,448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post

Yikes!!! Great deal! I think you'll be quite happy with FiOS on that 70 incher. I watch DirecTV on a 65 inch Sammy about 14 feet away. I really can't notice the difference. What I have invested in my DirecTV setup, Sunday Ticket HD, and their multi-room viewing (virtual 8 tuners), happy with them.

Do you have room to hang your new TV? What is your new set replacing??

Replacing a 65" Mits RP-CRT with Lumagen VP.
New TV just barely fits inside my home made entertainment center where the 65" was. Not hanging it.
obxdiver is offline  
post #6525 of 6677 Old 12-20-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
VARTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: VA Beach, VA 23456
Posts: 4,847
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxdiver View Post

Replacing a 65" Mits RP-CRT with Lumagen VP.

I went from a RPTV (JVC) to my 65" Sammy. What a huge difference...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information


email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

VARTV is offline  
post #6526 of 6677 Old 12-23-2011, 02:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
betterdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Virginia
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxdiver View Post

Has anyone noticed that WAVY-HD (via Direct TV) very often the picture freezes for a few milliseconds?
I keep seeing this only on that channel. I have been seeing this for at least 2 weeks now.

Yep, I came here to report this. Very annoying and I hope they get it fixed. Do the local channel people still visit here like they used to?
betterdan is offline  
post #6527 of 6677 Old 12-23-2011, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
robertawillisjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Hampton, VA
Posts: 1,321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post

Yep, I came here to report this. Very annoying and I hope they get it fixed. Do the local channel people still visit here like they used to?

No we don't. Cox, FIOS, Direct TV has just about killed OTA use. While cable, etc reception is not quite as good as OTA (IMO) the convenience by far out weighs reception problems (due to location, wind and weather for many of us) and lack of channels.

It has been suggested combining this thread with the Norfolk, VA - HDTV thread. I would second that.
robertawillisjr is offline  
post #6528 of 6677 Old 12-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
betterdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Virginia
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I emailed Wavy and they said they see it on Directv's broadcast but OTA from the station is fine. They are going to contact Directv.
betterdan is offline  
post #6529 of 6677 Old 12-23-2011, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
obxdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: SouthEastCoast, VA
Posts: 1,448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post

I emailed Wavy and they said they see it on Directv's broadcast but OTA from the station is fine. They are going to contact Directv.

Thanks for doing that.
obxdiver is offline  
post #6530 of 6677 Old 12-26-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vurbano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 7,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertawillisjr View Post

No we don't. Cox, FIOS, Direct TV has just about killed OTA use. While cable, etc reception is not quite as good as OTA (IMO) the convenience by far out weighs reception problems (due to location, wind and weather for many of us) and lack of channels.

It has been suggested combining this thread with the Norfolk, VA - HDTV thread. I would second that.

And Ironically everytime I switch my input from FIOS to OTA there are no signal problems at all. I guess if I left it there eventually I would see some problems. Its been a few years or so since I last used the OTA as a primary source.
vurbano is offline  
post #6531 of 6677 Old 12-26-2011, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
robertawillisjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Hampton, VA
Posts: 1,321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

And Ironically everytime I switch my input from FIOS to OTA there are no signal problems at all. I guess if I left it there eventually I would see some problems. Its been a few years or so since I last used the OTA as a primary source.

Vurbano,

If I recall correctly, you never had problems with OTA I on the other hand, could never get substained reception on a few channels. I checked the other day and still have the same problems.

How do you like FIOS?
robertawillisjr is offline  
post #6532 of 6677 Old 01-02-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vurbano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 7,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It's absolutely perfect for me. And additionally I only know of one channel that has any cp flag turned on.
vurbano is offline  
post #6533 of 6677 Old 01-04-2012, 07:21 AM
Member
 
Dugout Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Grrrrr.

Had everything setup great for about 2 weeks.

I pulled the plug on fios, due to cost, and we use netflix for most things anyway, and got the Antennas Direct DB8.

I got like 3-4 channels, and figured I would try an amp. So I dug through that big old box in my garage with all the wires, and old electronics I never use anymore, and found, an OLD radioshack 4 output amp.

Hooked it up, and without moving the Antenna, I had 26 channels. AWESOME! I locked off the antenna, and rolled out. Good days.

The Amp died, I predict. One day, I got nothing. Zero. Nada. Removed the amp, got those old 2-3 channels again.

Ordered the Winegard ANWI8700 preamp off amazon.

I get like, 11 channels with this. But am missing 10, 13 and 43. The "big ones".

Anyone have any idea why?

Antenna
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Preamp
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
Dugout Doug is offline  
post #6534 of 6677 Old 01-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Senior Member
 
re_nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
After performing due diligence by scouring this thread, I'm trying to understand the purpose of LIN's two UHF LPTVs, WNLO and WKTD. They both transmit from the WAVY/WVBT tower in Driver, a bit below their full-power companions.

I can understand the need for fill-in translators in markets where reception is a challenge and such LPTVs are typically located closer in than outlying antenna farm for urban dwellers.

These two facilities are both class A and from what I gather are fulltime simulcasters of the full power facilities. Aside from giving LIN a larger portfolio of stations in the market, is there technical reasons for their existence?
re_nelson is online now  
post #6535 of 6677 Old 01-18-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
VARTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: VA Beach, VA 23456
Posts: 4,847
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by re_nelson View Post

After performing due diligence by scouring this thread, I'm trying to understand the purpose of LIN's two UHF LPTVs, WNLO and WKTD. They both transmit from the WAVY/WVBT tower in Driver, a bit below their full-power companions.

I can understand the need for fill-in translators in markets where reception is a challenge and such LPTVs are typically located closer in than outlying antenna farm for urban dwellers.

These two facilities are both class A and from what I gather are fulltime simulcasters of the full power facilities. Aside from giving LIN a larger portfolio of stations in the market, is there technical reasons for their existence?

My guess was/is that they want to keep the spectrum... or maybe for some future use...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information


email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

VARTV is offline  
post #6536 of 6677 Old 01-18-2012, 06:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Topic title edited.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
post #6537 of 6677 Old 01-29-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kes601's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia Beach -- Lynnhaven
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it just me or does the Pro Bowl look awful tonight? Anytime there is movement on the screen it gets very blocky. Looking at it on both FiOS and OTA. Been having problems with FiOS anyway, but was surprised at the bad quality OTA.
kes601 is offline  
post #6538 of 6677 Old 01-30-2012, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
VARTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: VA Beach, VA 23456
Posts: 4,847
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kes601 View Post

Is it just me or does the Pro Bowl look awful tonight? Anytime there is movement on the screen it gets very blocky. Looking at it on both FiOS and OTA. Been having problems with FiOS anyway, but was surprised at the bad quality OTA.

It's a NBC and/or WAVY issue...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information


email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

VARTV is offline  
post #6539 of 6677 Old 01-30-2012, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kes601's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia Beach -- Lynnhaven
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post

It's a NBC and/or WAVY issue...

Good, at least I can rule my TVs out as being problematic on this one. WAVY's quality IMHO has gone down in the recent months. NFL always looks blocky and Chuck (only other NBC show I watched) would do the same in scenes w/motion.

When did they add the subchannel? I'm wondering if that is when it happened.
kes601 is offline  
post #6540 of 6677 Old 01-30-2012, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
VARTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: VA Beach, VA 23456
Posts: 4,847
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kes601 View Post

Good, at least I can rule my TVs out as being problematic on this one. WAVY's quality IMHO has gone down in the recent months. NFL always looks blocky and Chuck (only other NBC show I watched) would do the same in scenes w/motion.

When did they add the subchannel? I'm wondering if that is when it happened.

Sub was added at the end of September.

I say "and/or" because if you watch their local news, you can see that same blockiness as you mentioned above...

I did see your pics on Google aout FiOS. Is it that way a lot??

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information


email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

VARTV is offline  
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off