Norfolk, VA - OTA - Page 223 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6661 of 6675 Old 05-07-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone here tried one of those ClearTV antennas? (as seen on TV) I live on the north side of VB and have never had much luck with indoor antennas. I have a guest bedroom with no cable drop and thought I might try this. Not sure if it is new technology or just another "rabbit ears".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6662 of 6675 Old 05-07-2014, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 29
They're inexpensively made UHF-only antennas. The Chinese manufacturer (Qiaohua) was courting us a few years back (before they signed up Solid Signal and MCM Electronics) and their rep bragged that they made the antennas for that company. She even said there was nothing special about the technology.

We had some poor soul who had bought four of them (with amplifiers) return them to us by accident. We forwarded them back to the US-based reseller for the customer.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #6663 of 6675 Old 05-07-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I'll pass.
post #6664 of 6675 Old 06-08-2014, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am trying to figure out which antenna to purchase. Here's a little background on my situation first. 

I'm in Norfolk, VA, pretty much in the middle of the city. My house has aluminum siding. There's an old style antenna that has been attached to a chimney since before I bought the house 10 years ago. A cable is draped across the lower roof which is tin. The entire west side of the house is shaded by very tall pine trees. Shorter trees are on the other three sides. My house is multi-story. One section is two stories with a full story attic. Another section is only one floor. That section has a chimney. That chimney is on the western side. There is another chimney that extends from a second story roof. This chimney is very close to oak and pine trees. I do not have a chimney that goes through the very top roof.

The TV is on an interior wall of the house, the only place it can go. My current set up uses a long co-ax cable from the TV to the antenna.

I currently have a RCA indoor antenna, ANT112F. It is sitting in a northern window, vinyl. The window is across the room from the TV, and it's the only window in the room. It was doing ok, except that the window is where the cats want to be. One of the rabbit ears broke. Because I'm frugal, I taped it back together. 

The dropped signal drives me bonkers. Almost to the point of going back to cable. It never drops during commercials, just during the intense scenes of a show! The signal did drop some before the break, but it seems so much worse now. 

So, what am I looking for? I need an antenna that is less likely to drop the signal, even during a breeze or storm. If it's a window unit, a non rabbit ear that won't tangle a kitty. Would the old antenna still work? Or does it go bad? Forgive my ignorance on this. I didn't realize that co-ax cables could go bad, but I had one that just stopped working. I'm guessing that the old antenna is at least 20 years old. I'm assuming that the cable would have to be replaced. I haven't been on the roof to inspect it, but is that something I could do or would I need a professional?

If I do need an exterior antenna, is that something I could do (or have help with)? It appears to be attached with metal to the brick chimney. From there, I would rather run the cable down the chimney and wall of the house to go through the floor. That's how the commercial cable is run. 

I've been reading about interior antennas, but the descriptions all say something about interference from metal exteriors. Does the fact that the antenna is in the window somewhat alleviate that issue? Would a Leaf or a Monoprice HDA 3700 work better? Or just let it go and find a professional? 

Also, I don't want to invest lots of money because I'll be moving in a year or two. 

If you've made it this far, thank you in advance for any and all advice.

post #6665 of 6675 Old 06-08-2014, 10:58 PM

2pugs,

Before doing anything else, have you tried connecting the cable from the outside antenna to see if you need to purchase anything? Yes, cable can go bad; I would try the existing cable first before buying a replacement.

Second, is that outside antenna vhf and uhf? If it is, you should be in business as long as there no damage to the antenna (no missing elements and no corrosion at the feedpoint) and is pointed in the correct direction. All the local TV transmitters, with the exception of WSKY are due west in the Driver section of Suffolk. All local full power TV stations -- except WVEC 13 and WTPC 21 (rf channels 13 and 7 respectively) -- are transmitting on uhf, despite what the virtual channels on your set may say. If your antenna is vhf only, you may have trouble with uhf.

Trees can be a problem with digital TV; how much depends on each situation. One thing for sure is that aluminum siding and tin roof will not do you any favors as far as hanging an a full size antenna in an attic. Indoor "rabbit ear" antennae are compromises.

When I was living in Norfolk (near Tidewater @ E. Little Creek), I used a small uhf antenna on a mast strapped to a chimney about 25 above the ground. Feedline was 50' of Cox issue RG 59 cable. I had no trouble with all local full power stations in normal conditions. I had some trouble with WVEC during heavy storms, something that didn't happen when their digital was still on ch 41! I could even receive WSKY (after they finally transitioned from rf ch 4 to rf ch 9) except when heavy rains were in the area. On good days I could even watch low power WGBS 7 (rf ch 11) in Portsmouth.

In a nutshell, YES, use that outside antenna if you can!! You may need to go up there to change height/azimuth for optimum viewing; if both antenna and cable are in good condition, you won't need to spend a red cent!

One other thing, once you connect your TV to that outside antenna and verify all is in working order, be sure to have your TV run a scan through the channels to make sure you're receiving all you can. You can stop your scan once it reaches ch 52 (WGNT 27 is physically on the highest channel available, ch 51).

Hope that helps,
Steve

Steve KC4JGC
post #6666 of 6675 Old 06-09-2014, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC4JGC View Post

2pugs,

Before doing anything else, have you tried connecting the cable from the outside antenna to see if you need to purchase anything? Yes, cable can go bad; I would try the existing cable first before buying a replacement.

Have to agree with Steve. I installed an outside antenna on the house when I first moved in in 1973. There was no cable at my location in V.B. Though I'm on cable now, if I need to shift to the antenna (storms/power outages - no cable) I can still get about 20 channels. Have changed nothing in that installation.
starrin
post #6667 of 6675 Old 06-10-2014, 03:55 PM

Steve and Starrin, thank you for your responses. I'll have to do some homework to identify what kind of antenna it is. I'll also need to figure out where the cable goes once it disappears into the house. I would like to move the cable though. It goes from the correct side (where the tv is) to the other side of the house. I'm guessing I would need 75-100 feet of cable to reach the tv, if I left it as is. If I see that the cable and can be unscrewed like a regular co-ax cable, I will just replace it so I can get it where I want it to be. 

I'll have to get on the roof and look at it more closely. The straps that attach it to the chimney are rusty. If there is rust on the antenna, it isn't visible from the ground. The end with all the spikes is pointed northwest. 

Another question. Is there any significant loss in strength if I have to connect two cables together in order to meet the length? I have a longer cable now, but I'm not sure what "strength" it is. I know that exterior extension cords are rated. Steve mentioned a numbered cable. Is that similar to extension cords? I'm guessing that the optimum choice is one cable of a higher strength. However, if that's not an option, how bad would it be to connect two of different strengths and lengths?

post #6668 of 6675 Old 06-23-2014, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
WTVZ to get getTV on a subchannel soon:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/008...tations/271009

dtv_junkie87
post #6669 of 6675 Old 06-30-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pugsinapod View Post
<p>Steve and Starrin, thank you for your responses. I'll have to do some homework to identify what kind of antenna it is. I'll also need to figure out where the cable goes once it disappears into the house. I would like to move the cable though. It goes from the correct side (where the tv is) to the other side of the house. I'm guessing I would need 75-100 feet of cable to reach the tv, if I left it as is. If I see that the cable and can be unscrewed like a regular co-ax cable, I will just replace it so I can get it where I want it to be. </p>
<p>I'll have to get on the roof and look at it more closely. The straps that attach it to the chimney are rusty. If there is rust on the antenna, it isn't visible from the ground. The end with all the spikes is pointed northwest. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Another question. Is there any significant loss in strength if I have to connect two cables together in order to meet the length? I have a longer cable now, but I'm not sure what "strength" it is. I know that exterior extension cords are rated. Steve mentioned a numbered cable. Is that similar to extension cords? I'm guessing that the optimum choice is one cable of a higher strength. However, if that's not an option, how bad would it be to connect two of different strengths and lengths?</p>
After a scare with a stepladder inside the house, I'll be leaving the outside antenna to someone else. Some of the brackets are completely separated from the brick chimney. Also, where the cable goes into the house, five other cables also go in. I can't figure out which one goes where.

Any advice on a reputable company to check out whether the existing antenna works and rewiring it? I prefer to hire local instead of corporate when I can.
post #6670 of 6675 Old 07-03-2014, 08:36 PM

Any reputable electrician should be able to help you. Be prepared to dig deep! At least $40/hr.

Steve KC4JGC
post #6671 of 6675 Old 07-08-2014, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Anybody notice auto blips on WTKR-HD on Monday night? I didn't check OTA but on FiOS it was happening during programming and commercials so I am assuming it was a station issue and not a national issue. I noticed it both on a surround sound setup and a regular tv setup.
post #6672 of 6675 Old 07-23-2014, 12:26 PM

Any update on your progress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pugsinapod View Post
After a scare with a stepladder inside the house, I'll be leaving the outside antenna to someone else. Some of the brackets are completely separated from the brick chimney. Also, where the cable goes into the house, five other cables also go in. I can't figure out which one goes where.

Any advice on a reputable company to check out whether the existing antenna works and rewiring it? I prefer to hire local instead of corporate when I can.

Steve KC4JGC
post #6673 of 6675 Old 07-23-2014, 06:56 PM

Steve KC4JGC,
I have not even attempted anything yet. My senior pug was diagnosed with cancer and recently had surgery. All my focus (and extra money) has gone for her care. She's recovering now, so maybe in August, I can redirect my energy toward the antenna.
I work with electricians so I'll start with them for recommendations, I think. I hadn't even thought to go with an electrician first.
Thank you!
post #6674 of 6675 Old 07-31-2014, 06:05 PM
zpf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtv_junkie87 View Post
WTVZ to get getTV on a subchannel soon:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/008...tations/271009

dtv_junkie87
Yeah, comes in about as good as Me and AntennaTV for me. I'm in the Salem Lakes area.
post #6675 of 6675 Old 07-31-2014, 06:19 PM
zpf

I have a basic Epson projector that plays DVDs and has various types of inputs, including RCA. I would like to hook it up for OTA, but I'm not sure what additional equipment I'd need. I'm assuming I'd need a tuner and an antenna. Am I right? If so, can anyone recommend a tuner for this purpose?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page