Norfolk, VA - OTA - Page 226 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #6751 of 6758 Old 11-09-2016, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Well, I paid $650 to have an outdoor antenna installed and hooked up to one tv - a Tivo Bolt DVR... I am getting channels like the PBS suite (15) much better than with the indoor antenna... BUT Channel 10 is pixelating every 5 minutes... I am in zip 23434 and literally 7 miles away from most of the towers. The antenna is an Antennas Direct DB8e and they installed the VHF Retrofit Kit that I bought for it on the mast... Any ideas on why Channel 10 is pixelating every 5 minutes? I really am bummed that I spent that much money and got these results...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6752 of 6758 Old 11-09-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace View Post
Sorry to only visit this forum with issues. I get constant 13.1 drop outs every 5 -30 seconds. I move the antenna stops for a while then back to drop outs. It's almost like the signal is loading up and resetting.

Update, pig sitting at my son's house watching Cox. Same 13 ABC drop outs during the OSU Penn game. Must be the channel not my antenna.
LOLOLOLOL! I pictured an actual pig sitting there watching TV!

post #6753 of 6758 Old 11-09-2016, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillaRegina View Post
Well, I paid $650 to have an outdoor antenna installed and hooked up to one tv - a Tivo Bolt DVR... I am getting channels like the PBS suite (15) much better than with the indoor antenna... BUT Channel 10 is pixelating every 5 minutes... I am in zip 23434 and literally 7 miles away from most of the towers. The antenna is an Antennas Direct DB8e and they installed the VHF Retrofit Kit that I bought for it on the mast... Any ideas on why Channel 10 is pixelating every 5 minutes? I really am bummed that I spent that much money and got these results...

Wow... that's a "big" antenna for being just 7 miles away! That could be a problem. Also, your new antenna can be located in the "right" (wrong) spot for sporadic WAVY reception (is it possible to move/rotate the antenna a degree or two west or east?). Why did they install a VHF kit? I have an amped ChannelMaster 4228 (basically a UHF-only antenna) in our two story house attic that gets WVEC (13), WSKY (9) and WTPC (7) with no problems. We're about 28 miles to the SSE of Driver...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #6754 of 6758 Old 11-09-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post
Wow... that's a "big" antenna for being just 7 miles away! That could be a problem. Also, your new antenna can be located in the "right" (wrong) spot for sporadic WAVY reception (is it possible to move/rotate the antenna a degree or two west or east?). Why did they install a VHF kit? I have an amped ChannelMaster 4228 (basically a UHF-only antenna) in our two story house attic that gets WVEC (13), WSKY (9) and WTPC (7) with no problems. We're about 28 miles to the SSE of Driver...
The antenna wasn't my choice it was theirs. I have researched antennas up the wazoo... I still couldn't figure out what I needed... And the reviews I read on the VHF Retrofit Kit were mostly positive - so I figured that it couldn't hurt (especially since so many of the channels seem to be hi-V)... They did tweak the antenna several times but it changed good channels every time it got tweaked - so it never happened that ALL the channels came in great all together... I am going to keep watching all the different channels and take notes. It might help them tweak it better... I am just soooooo bummed... After trying 9 different indoor antennas and tweaking them for at least an hour each and spending all that money I really thought this one was going to be the answer!!!

post #6755 of 6758 Old 11-09-2016, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The antenna wasn't my choice it was theirs. I have researched antennas up the wazoo... I still couldn't figure out what I needed... And the reviews I read on the VHF Retrofit Kit were mostly positive - so I figured that it couldn't hurt (especially since so many of the channels seem to be hi-V)... They did tweak the antenna several times but it changed good channels every time it got tweaked - so it never happened that ALL the channels came in great all together... I am going to keep watching all the different channels and take notes. It might help them tweak it better... I am just soooooo bummed... After trying 9 different indoor antennas and tweaking them for at least an hour each and spending all that money I really thought this one was going to be the answer!!!

I'm no expert but that really does seem like too much of an antenna. I like my setup (antenna in the attic) because I was able to tweak it. Originally installed on a PVC pipe attached to a rafter, I took it off and just set it on top of some Rubbermaid containers. I couldn't reliably get 43 and 10 at the same time. Turn it one way and I was getting 10 but problems with 43, and vice versa. Though in the attic, I still get great numbers. The other morning I was getting ABC, CW and PBS out of Richmond!

Robert F Corbin

post #6756 of 6758 Old 11-09-2016, 11:05 AM

Wow! RICHMOND! I did have a channel list that included a PBS suite starting on channel 20... But never really got reception (I thought it was the North Carolina PBS). I know my antenna is not amplified. I would have done the rotating thing but I use a Tivo Bolt DVR and want channels to record when I am not home. Maybe someone needs to invent a DVR that also controls a rotator based on what points you enter into the system!!!

post #6757 of 6758 Old 11-09-2016, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow! RICHMOND! I did have a channel list that included a PBS suite starting on channel 20... But never really got reception (I thought it was the North Carolina PBS). I know my antenna is not amplified. I would have done the rotating thing but I use a Tivo Bolt DVR and want channels to record when I am not home. Maybe someone needs to invent a DVR that also controls a rotator based on what points you enter into the system!!!

Where you're located, you definitely would NOT need an amp (unless you were sending the signal to multiple sets). Yeah, channel 20 is WUND in NE NC.

When you're home (and if you can), rotate the antenna a degree or two in either direction to see if you still have issues with WAVY...

Robert F Corbin

post #6758 of 6758 Old 11-11-2016, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post
Where you're located, you definitely would NOT need an amp (unless you were sending the signal to multiple sets). Yeah, channel 20 is WUND in NE NC.

When you're home (and if you can), rotate the antenna a degree or two in either direction to see if you still have issues with WAVY...
IMO, your antenna is too directional for your location. You can either install a motor to move the antenna OR get an antenna that is less directional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page