Norfolk, VA - OTA - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-07-2005, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just an FYI for Ted, I'm currently tuned into 3-1 during the news and there are definately some lipsync issues.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2005, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Todd
Just an FYI for Ted, I'm currently tuned into 3-1 during the news and there are definately some lipsync issues.

Thanks.

Me too...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

Old 01-07-2005, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

It appears the lip synce issue on The WB is much better. You really couldn't tell it was still slightly off until one of the actresses slapped the other one on the arm...

Robert F Corbin

Old 01-07-2005, 06:37 PM

Prime time! No lip sync problems. As a matter of fact, WTKR-DT has never looked better. Must have been a change made at the station.

Regards
Old 01-07-2005, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by robrien
Prime time! No lip sync problems. As a matter of fact, WTKR-DT has never looked better. Must have been a change made at the station.

Regards

Cold case does look reallyyyyyy sharp.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by robrien

Regards

Watch Monday night at 8...

Robert F Corbin

Old 01-08-2005, 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by VARTV
Watch Monday night at 8...

I'll make sure I do that. However, I may be wrong (would not be the first time). But you and Todd are the only ones that seem to have lip sync issues. Don't both of you use the HD-Tivo? Could be a common problem.

Regards
Old 01-08-2005, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I've occasionally noticed the problem between 8 and 9 on 3-1, but not much. When I noticed the lipsync problem the other day during the news on 3-1, I also tried the HD tuner in my HDTV and it did the same thing.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've occasionally noticed the problem between 8 and 9 on 3-1, but not much. When I noticed the lipsync problem the other day during the news on 3-1, I also tried the HD tuner in my HDTV and it did the same thing.

This is good to hear that you tried that. Originally, I, too, thought it was just my box BUT it's only happening on certain shows. One week, Listen Up! (CBS/8:30PM) came in fine (with the exception of the middle of the show). I've seen lip-sync problems on 3's noon news BUT I don't watch it that much at all to see if it's a continuous problem.

WTVZ-DT is getting much better BUT it's still slightly off...

Robert F Corbin

Old 01-09-2005, 08:50 AM

During last nights ballgame the transmission switched from HD to SD and then back to HD. This occurred three times. The time in SD mode was probably less than a minute for each event. These occurred during the game, not commercials.

Earl
Old 01-09-2005, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Earl Dunham
During last nights ballgame the transmission switched from HD to SD and then back to HD. This occurred three times. The time in SD mode was probably less than a minute for each event. These occurred during the game, not commercials.

Earl

Actually it didnt even bother me. As long as its only for a minute. With all of the other hurdles HD presents some minor glitches are the least of the worries IMO.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:16 AM

Glad to hear someone else saw a few isues in the late NFL game yesterday on 13-1. I thought the first game was pretty glitch free, but did have several freeze ups and dropped to SD a few times. Of course, my first thought is my antenna setup but it sounds like others had issues as well.

Would love to poll a few others to get their experience last night during the Chargers-Jets game.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by vurbano
Actually it didnt even bother me. As long as its only for a minute. With all of the other hurdles HD presents some minor glitches are the least of the worries IMO.

Didn't bother me either, it was purely an observation not a complaint. I thought someone at the station might like to know it happened.

Earl
Old 01-10-2005, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

The audio on 3.1 was awful during the Colts/Broncos game yesterday. Although the game was in HD it appeared the audio was transmitted in Dolby 2.0. The commentary was so muted that it was almost incomprehensible yet the commercials came blasting through about 6 db higher than the game. I spent the entire game raising and lowering the volume on my home theater system. It was VERY annoying! This wasn't a broadcast problem though as I switched to 703 on Cox with the same results. The late game on Fox didn't have this problem. Since it was broadcast in DD 5.1 there must be some correlation here.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I saw about the last hour of that game and didn't notice any problems with the audio. BTW, whatever you get on COX is the same that we get OTA unless COX screws it up.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I saw about the last hour of that game and didn't notice any problems with the audio. BTW, whatever you get on COX is the same that we get OTA unless COX screws it up.

I wonder what happens if/when the network feed is in 5.1 but the local broadcast is 2.0? The center channel (commentary) was definitely punched out or lost in the crowd noise. At least it was when I attenuated enough to make the commercials bearable. Surround sound advertising is the bane of HD.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
It was greating getting to sit down and watch four HD playoff games over the weekend. Thanks to the station engineers for getting all of this working.

It was probably my imagination, but I thought that there were somewhat fewer motion artifacts on the WVEC games on Saturday than on normal MNF. A great, clear picture. I did notice that the early Seattle game had the audio messed up, sending out a 5.1 signal with only the R and L channels being used. Not that big a deal. The later game was sending out the sound correctly.

CBS was pretty good, as well, except for the already mentioned problem of the center-channel audio being much quieter than the rest of the sound. Didn't bother me much since I could FF through the commercials and didn't care much for that crew, anyway.

Fox definitely has the motion artifacts eliminated with their system, but the picture isn't nearly as clear, and the artifacts on the "grass" with the periodic updates are really noticeable. I think that system works much better on artificial turf or another field without so much "stuff" on it.

Bruce
Old 01-10-2005, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Digitude
The audio on 3.1 was awful during the Colts/Broncos game yesterday. .... The commentary was so muted that it was almost incomprehensible yet the commercials came blasting through about 6 db higher than the game.

I noticed the exact same thing. My processor showed DD5.1 meaning they were sending out the flag in the bitstream. But I think the audio that was coming in was only DD2.0.
The center channel was way too low compared to the other audio channels.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought it sounded right to begin with but sometime during the game the center channel dropped way down
Old 01-12-2005, 04:52 PM

There are several websites listing HDTV programs on our local Hampton Roads OTA DTV stations. To my surprise, channels 10, 43, and 13 all claim that their Local News is being broadcast now in HD!

To me this seems like false advertising, since all their video feeds appear to only be 4 X 3 480i up-conversions to 1080i. Yes, the graphics generators for titles, weather maps, etc., do look very good, but not the camera shots. What gives here? Why are these channels claiming to broadcast local stuff in HD when they are clearly NOT?

Until a station buys and starts using its first 16 X 9 1080i or 720p camera chain, they should not be making such claims.

This subject was brought up on the "other" local HDTV thread, but that conversation quickly degenerated into trivia about what certain local anchors would look like in HD. I hope that the TV station representatives will respond here.

Byron Thomas
Old 01-12-2005, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by TByronT
There are several websites listing HDTV programs on our local Hampton Roads OTA DTV stations. To my surprise, channels 10, 43, and 13 all claim that their Local News is being broadcast now in HD!

To me this seems like false advertising, since all their video feeds appear to only be 4 X 3 480i up-conversions to 1080i. Yes, the graphics generators for titles, weather maps, etc., do look very good, but not the camera shots. What gives here? Why are these channels claiming to broadcast local stuff in HD when they are clearly NOT?

Until a station buys and starts using its first 16 X 9 1080i or 720p camera chain, they should not be making such claims.

This subject was brought up on the "other" local HDTV thread, but that conversation quickly degenerated into trivia about what certain local anchors would look like in HD. I hope that the TV station representatives will respond here.

Byron Thomas

All the stations IMO are stretching things for ratings. WTKR a few months ago was claiming to have 3 doppler radars in operation when in fact as pointed out by VARTV one of them on the peninsula had not even been installed. About the same time Don Slater on WAVY claimed to have 3 radars "going round and round" when they only had one sweep on air. I emailed them and asked them to identify the other 2 and that everyone knows that doppler radars go "round and round". I never received a reply.

Local tv programming like local radio is headed down the path of their own destruction. The frenzy of program directors for ratings have completely shoved out quality and quantity IMO.

Harold Jackson
Old 01-12-2005, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Then you've got Jeff Lawson at WVEC claiming that the other stations only use national radars that take 10-20 minutes for updates. While I tend to think their radar is the best in the area, these claims are obviously not accurate...
Old 01-12-2005, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by TByronT

Byron:

I will state for the record, that WVEC is not originating local newscasts in any format that can be considered high definition. I am not aware that we are promoting it as HD. It could be one of those semantic challenged promos we run. If you will PM me on the verbiage and/or description of the language you find offensive, I will take it up with the other managers.

Peter Dennant
XBE Group
[former Director of Engineering for WVEC-TV/DT]
Old 01-12-2005, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Since we are talking about the weather, can someone tell me what "ground clutter" is? And why does it only show up when there are a few rain drops lurking in our area. Sometimes I see more "ground clutter" than rain on the radar. Could it be that the the weathermen increase the sensitivity of the radar display hoping to find those few raindrops that were so accurately forcasted for the past 3 days?
Old 01-12-2005, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by obxdiver
Since we are talking about the weather, can someone tell me what "ground clutter" is? And why does it only show up when there are a few rain drops lurking in our area. Sometimes I see more "ground clutter" than rain on the radar. Could it be that the the weathermen increase the sensitivity of the radar display hoping to find those few raindrops that were so accurately forcasted for the past 3 days?

Ground clutter is the energy from the radar antennas side lobes that is reflected back to the antenna/receiver. Most of the weather radars have algorithms that remove this clutter from the display even though the energy is always present. Of course, some radars are better than others (ahem).

The NWS' NEXRAD radars are much more powerful and use a lower frequency than those licensed to television stations and other, private licensees. Sometimes when they are looking for other things in the atmosphere they turn up the sensitivity (especially in "clear air" mode), it enhances the ground clutter.

I'd be glad to have a further discussion of WX radars through PM's or another thread but I have found that discussions of television weather and accuracy thereof can degenerate into an ugly mess in a short amount of time. Therefore, I'd like to ask that we get back on topic for this thread.

Thanx.

Peter Dennant
XBE Group
Old 01-13-2005, 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by pdennant
Byron:

I will state for the record, that WVEC is not originating local newscasts in any format that can be considered high definition. I am not aware that we are promoting it as HD. It could be one of those semantic challenged promos we run. If you will PM me on the verbiage and/or description of the language you find offensive, I will take it up with the other managers.

Peter -
Interestingly, if you go to wvec.com and link to the program guide, click on wvec-DT, you will see the newscasts listed as HD. This is coming from Titan, but since you guys are linking to it directly you shold have some say in its accuracy.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by hjriver
All the stations IMO are stretching things for ratings. WTKR a few months ago was claiming to have 3 doppler radars in operation when in fact as pointed out by VARTV one of them on the peninsula had not even been installed. About the same time Don Slater on WAVY claimed to have 3 radars "going round and round" when they only had one sweep on air. I emailed them and asked them to identify the other 2 and that everyone knows that doppler radars go "round and round". I never received a reply.

I like the new from WTKR...

"You've asked and Your NewsChannel 3 delivers. An expanded SkyCam3 network... bringing LIVE weather and traffic conditions throughtout Hampton Roads..."

You gotta be kidding me... VDOT (Virginia Department of Transportation) recently expanded their traffic camera network to several more stretches on local Interstates. The way Channel 3 comes off, it's like they personally installed the cameras themselves for traffic AND weather with NO mention of VDOT on air or on their website. Channel 10 is almost as bad with their "Jam Cams."

We, the citizens of Virginia, paid for those cameras with some tax dollars NOT WTKR or WAVY...

Robert F Corbin

Old 01-13-2005, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The way Channel 3 comes off, it's like they personally installed the cameras themselves for traffic AND weather with NO mention of VDOT on air or on their website. Channel 10 is almost as bad with their "Jam Cams."

We, the citizens of Virginia, paid for those cameras with some tax dollars NOT WTKR or WAVY...

I'm not taking either side of this but, the agreement each station signs with VDOT annually calls for the VDOT logo to be displayed at some time during the airing of those roadway cameras.

We are digressing from the topic of the thread again. None of the station engineers have the power to change the way the stations we work for are promoted. There IS a place for this type of discussion...it's just not here.

Thanx.

Peter Dennant
XBE Group
Old 01-13-2005, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The way Channel 3 comes off, it's like they personally installed the cameras themselves for traffic AND weather with NO mention of VDOT on air or on their website. Channel 10 is almost as bad with their "Jam Cams."

Love those jam cams. If I only had a TV or PC in my car. Most of the traffic reports around here are so stale they are virtually worthless. I can't tell you how many times I've been cruising though the downtown tunnel at 40 mph while the radio and TV stations are broadcasting jams. I've been stopped by bridge lifts just as many times that aren't reported.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 32
If anybody wants to discuss, weather radars or outdoor cameras that WTKR-TV uses.....

e-mail me at: ted.hand@wtkr.com

I will answer any and all questions.

Ted Hand, CPBE. 8VSB, DRB, AMD
I was there on July 23, 1996...First DTV broadcast in the US..WRAL-HD

Amateur Radio - W9SOC