Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 6677 Old 01-20-2005, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Originally posted by pdennant
HDTV will only get better and better (I hope). Compare color TV from the 60s to now. well, maybe not the best comparsion but...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 6677 Old 01-20-2005, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OUTSTANDING!

Drew
post #813 of 6677 Old 01-20-2005, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Todd
Shhh...let's not give them any more ideas for subchannels.

If they had to, they could always put it on 13-2...

They could run those messages over the weather radars. Just a thought.
post #814 of 6677 Old 01-20-2005, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Ted,

My reception of 3-1 has been poor to non-existent for the last couple of days. It was great before the power tube problem. Can you give us an estimate of when the power will be back to normal? Thanks.

Drew
post #815 of 6677 Old 01-20-2005, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by HILLTOP SAILOR
OUTSTANDING!

Drew

My thanks to ABC in broadcasting this historic occasion in HD including the other events. Shame on CBS and NBC.

Now if we could just do something about those ABC anti-Bush liberal anchors and reporters. Peter Jennings should go home to Canada.

Harold Jackson
post #816 of 6677 Old 01-20-2005, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ted,

My reception of 3-1 has been poor to non-existent for the last couple of days. It was great before the power tube problem. Can you give us an estimate of when the power will be back to normal? Thanks.

Drew

You should not be having problems in VB because of WTKR's reduced power. I'm 47 miles away and have no problems at all with a signal strength of 50. On my end there is no difference in reception.

Harold Jackson
post #817 of 6677 Old 01-20-2005, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Peter,

What happened to the HD coverage? It was great HD this morning.

Drew
post #818 of 6677 Old 01-20-2005, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What happened to the HD coverage? It was great HD this morning.

We are still passing the HD feed from ABC to our 13-1 service. Not all of their coverage is in HD. What comes from them will be seen by you.

Quote:

Originally poster by hjriver
Now if we could just do something about those ABC anti-Bush liberal anchors and reporters. Peter Jennings should go home to Canada.

Harold:

I think it would be a good idea to keep political discussions out of this thread. I have some very anti-Bush sentiments that I air in the proper forums. This is not the proper forum.

Thank you.

Peter Dennant
XBE Group
[former Director of Engineering for WVEC-TV/DT]
post #819 of 6677 Old 01-20-2005, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by pdennant
[
Harold:

I think it would be a good idea to keep political discussions out of this thread. I have some very anti-Bush sentiments that I air in the proper forums. This is not the proper forum.

Thank you. [/b]

Point taken. I apologize if I caused you any discomfort.

Harold Jackson
post #820 of 6677 Old 01-20-2005, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My reception of 3-1 has been poor to non-existent for the last couple of days. It was great before the power tube problem...

My reception of WTKR-DT hasn't changed at all. Same readings on HD TiVo ~ 65-68. I'm about 9 miles south of you...

Robert F Corbin

post #821 of 6677 Old 01-20-2005, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by VARTV
My reception of WTKR-DT hasn't changed at all. Same readings on HD TiVo ~ 65-68. I'm about 9 miles south of you...

Thanks for the inputs. More data is good.
I think I should wait to hear from Ted before I start messing with anything since he told us he was having a problem. I just need to know when his problem is fixed before I can make an informed decision on remedial action.

Drew
post #822 of 6677 Old 01-20-2005, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I am fortunate enough to have Tivo'ed the Presidential Inauguration in High Definition from WVEC-DT channel 13-1 from 10am till 4:00pm.
I just want to say a big THANK YOU to Peter Dennant and his staff at WVEC-DT for bringing a flawless presentation of this historical event in High Definition OTA. I read in the programming forum, that a 1080i master copy of this inauguration will be placed in the national archives in Washington DC. I will keep this recording on my TIVO unit permanently. If it were not for you guys at WVEC-DT, I would not have such a valuable and historical HD recording of this event. I have watched about 3 hours of it so far, and it really looks fantastic. ABC and its affiliates, including WVEC-DT, should be commended for the successful accomplishment of broadcasting this historical event, live, in High Definition.

I Thank You
post #823 of 6677 Old 01-20-2005, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

it would be nice if there was a replay of this so that those with day jobs could see it. Sounds like it was quite an HD event.
post #824 of 6677 Old 01-21-2005, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Todd
I hope not! I think us HD viewer are smart enough to switch over to the analog feed if we need to see closings......

Hmmm. I actually disabled the DirecTV local stations on my HDTivo so that it would stop using them for suggestions. I'd have to switch to a different box to see them.

Actually, I think that the internet is the right medium for announcements like that. But since not everyone has that, I accept that it will be on the screen. I hope sometime soon the local stations will all have the equipment to insert the crawls on the HD signal.

While I don't care about the silly closing announcements, I would like to have notification on the screen if Surry ever has a meltdown. Of course, I wouldn't be watching TV live anyway, so it wouldn't help me get away...

Bruce
post #825 of 6677 Old 01-21-2005, 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Les Garrenton
At any rate here's the audience participation part of the show... We are of course very interested in what kind of coverage we are getting out there, so if you care to rescan your receivers when you get a chance I would appreciate hearing from you and whether you're getting these two new digital stations reliably or not. Be sure to mention your location and whether you're using an indoor, outdoor, or attic antenna.

Not that I would expect it to, but you might also want to notice if it has affected any of the adjacent channels, namely WHRO-DT (physical channel 16, virtual channel 15) or WPXV-DT (physical channel 46, virtual channel 49). At my house I can see no problems at all.
Thanks in advance for your comments!

Les,

Sorry I am so late reporting in -- but I lost my computer to virus for almost a week!. So, just caught up on the forum. I hope you still want reception reports on your new Class A DTV (DA) stations.

I am getting perfect SD signals from both 17-1 and 45-1 here in Hampton. I'm located just west of Langley AFB runway. I use the Voom-supplied amplified Winegard "batwing" UHF/VHF antenna above its satellite dish. Its located outdoors on the 3rd floor balcony of my apartment. A splitter routes this UHF/VHF signal to both my Voom OTA/Satellite receiver (in my bedroom) and to an older Panasonic (first-generation) OTA DTV Receiver (and Analog TV) in my living room. I previously got strong (but snowy) pictures on the old 17 and 45 (analog).

There are no noticeable adjacent channel problems affecting WHRO-DT and WPXV-DT.

Now that you have an "equivalent" of 10-2 on 17-1 (in the local area at least), is there really any need for another WAVY 480i on 10-2?

I do have a question about the observed delay in all DTV signals. As an engineer/programmer, myself, I understand its due to all the computer processing involved for processing and up-converting digital signals. However, in comparing 10 (analog) with 10-1, 10-2, and 17-1, all these WAVY digitals seem to have about the same delay (about 3 seconds after the analog). When comparing 43 (analog) with 45-1 and 43-1, it seems that 45-1 arrives about 2 sec.after analog, but 43-1 arrives almost 4 seconds after analog. Is there any explanation for this difference, and why the WAVY digitals all seem to have the same delay, whether its a 1080i up-convert or a straight through 480i. Only an engineer would want to know.

Byron Thomas
post #826 of 6677 Old 01-21-2005, 08:56 PM

This post removed because it was repeat of above. Had trouble getting forum to accept my post -- after the viruses were cleared from my PC.

Byron Thomas
post #827 of 6677 Old 01-22-2005, 07:40 AM

On my Hd Tivo signal meter all other digital channels are in the low 90s, 3-1 stays around 68 is this because they broadcast with less power, or their transmitter is mounted lower on the tower? The reception is fine using a CM 4228 in attic (3 story house) clear line of site to towers.

CHAS ZOSS OPPO EAP 2nd ROUND late entry!
post #828 of 6677 Old 01-22-2005, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by CHAS ZOSS
On my Hd Tivo signal meter all other digital channels are in the low 90s, 3-1 stays around 68 is this because they broadcast with less power, or their transmitter is mounted lower on the tower? The reception is fine using a CM 4228 in attic (3 story house) clear line of site to towers.

They are running minus a "tube" hence the lower reading. Ted did say that they were going to go full power soon, I just can't remember when...

You have a similiar set-up to me but you're closer to the antennas than me. My readings (one mile east of the Courthouse in VB)...

WVEC, WHRO, WGNT, WVBT, WPXV -- 90~92
WAVY -- low 80s
WTVZ -- 70
WTKR, WKTD -- mid/hi 60s
WNLO, WUND -- 0~low20s

Robert F Corbin

post #829 of 6677 Old 01-22-2005, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Bruce Lowekamp
With an attic antenna (4228 + preamp) on an HDTivo in Williamsburg, and the snowstorm moving just past Norfolk, I'm getting a pretty good signal with almost no breakups on 45-1 but pick up nothing from 17-1.

Wow Bruce, the fact that you can get 45-1 is good to hear since you're right on the edge of predicted coverage. The predicted coverage of 17-1 is just about the same in your direction, but the antenna is mounted on the far side of the tower and the signal has to pass through the metal structure. That could be making the difference. We are still working on 17-1 to get it as good as possible though, so you may want to try again in a week or so.
post #830 of 6677 Old 01-22-2005, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by TByronT
I hope you still want reception reports on your new Class A DTV (DA) stations.

By all means... Information is good!

Quote:

I am getting perfect SD signals from both 17-1 and 45-1 here in Hampton. I'm located just west of Langley AFB runway. I use the Voom-supplied amplified Winegard "batwing" UHF/VHF antenna above its satellite dish. Its located outdoors on the 3rd floor balcony of my apartment. A splitter routes this UHF/VHF signal to both my Voom OTA/Satellite receiver (in my bedroom) and to an older Panasonic (first-generation) OTA DTV Receiver (and Analog TV) in my living room. I previously got strong (but snowy) pictures on the old 17 and 45 (analog). There are no noticeable adjacent channel problems affecting WHRO-DT and WPXV-DT.

Thanks very much for the details.

Quote:

Now that you have an "equivalent" of 10-2 on 17-1 (in the local area at least), is there really any need for another WAVY 480i on 10-2?

The programming of our channels is always subject to change, but fortunately for me it ultimately isn't my responsibility to decide what goes where. Also, the FCC is making noise like they will place the same burdensome programming requirements on subchannels as the primary channels with regards to local programming, public service, children's programming, etc., and currently what you see are the only products we have at the moment that will satisfy that possible eventuality.

Quote:

I do have a question about the observed delay in all DTV signals. As an engineer/programmer, myself, I understand its due to all the computer processing involved for processing and up-converting digital signals. However, in comparing 10 (analog) with 10-1, 10-2, and 17-1, all these WAVY digitals seem to have about the same delay (about 3 seconds after the analog).

They may appear to be roughly the same, but 10-2 actually does trail 10-1 a bit.

Quote:

When comparing 43 (analog) with 45-1 and 43-1, it seems that 45-1 arrives about 2 sec.after analog, but 43-1 arrives almost 4 seconds after analog.

The FOX splicer really slows things down a lot. 45-1 does not go through the splicer so it will be a couple of seconds ahead of 43-1.
post #831 of 6677 Old 01-22-2005, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Les Garrenton
Wow Bruce, the fact that you can get 45-1 is good to hear since you're right on the edge of predicted coverage. The predicted coverage of 17-1 is just about the same in your direction, but the antenna is mounted on the far side of the tower and the signal has to pass through the metal structure. That could be making the difference. We are still working on 17-1 to get it as good as possible though, so you may want to try again in a week or so.

I'll try to remember to take a look at 17-1 again sometime. I kept 45-1 up a bit after I posted that. There were a few brief glitches, but overall it wasn't that bad of a signal. When the HDTivo was finished recording something with its other tuner, I looked at the signal strengths. 45-1 was marginal at 50-60. (IIRC, WTKR is in the 60-70 range right now.) 17-1 was occasionally popping up to 28, but never enough that it locked on and identified it.

Bruce
post #832 of 6677 Old 01-22-2005, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Holy Red tones Batman, Alladin has more color saturation than almost anything Ive seen before. WOW
post #833 of 6677 Old 01-22-2005, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by vurbano
Holy Red tones Batman, Alladin has more color saturation than almost anything Ive seen before. WOW

Speaking of this movie, how does ABC receive it to air? 1080i? If so, ABC sideconverts the 1080i to 720p then WVEC sideconverts to 1080i then my receiver sideconverts to 720p... Sheesh...

Robert F Corbin

post #834 of 6677 Old 01-23-2005, 01:06 PM

FOX is in and out for me today. Anybody else? I couldn't even listen to the national anthem without it breaking up constantly. This is why we should be eligible to have it on D*.

Dale
post #835 of 6677 Old 01-23-2005, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by dkyork
FOX is in and out for me today. Anybody else? I couldn't even listen to the national anthem without it breaking up constantly. This is why we should be eligible to have it on D*.

Dale

My picture is solid. The audio keeps dropping out though. I hope this is not what I have to look forward to with the Superbowl.
post #836 of 6677 Old 01-23-2005, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Digitude
My picture is solid. The audio keeps dropping out though. I hope this is not what I have to look forward to with the Superbowl.

Video and audio solid here.

Harold Jackson
post #837 of 6677 Old 01-23-2005, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Solid as a rock for me in Churchland.
No Breakups.
A/V sync right on.
Good DD 5.1 center channel audio and surround effects.
knock on wood
post #838 of 6677 Old 01-23-2005, 03:21 PM

Audio/Video good here. Great game!

Quote:

Originally posted by dkyork

Dale

post #839 of 6677 Old 01-23-2005, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

A very pleased FOX/WVBT viewer today. Great job all!

Robert F Corbin

post #840 of 6677 Old 01-23-2005, 04:05 PM

VAR TV, Are you getting any break ups, freezes today. I am a few miles from you and I am getting some every 10 min. or so. Just checking to see if is my antenna or the signal from Fox.

thanks.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page