Norfolk, VA - OTA - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 6676 Old 10-18-2004, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We had to make some FCC-mandated changes to our PSIP stream today, which involved altering some of the PID numbers. The most immediate undesired effect was that many of the receivers we have here at our studio began to exhibit a channel offset problem that had Doppler Radar coming in as 10-2 instead of 10-3. A channel re-scan of the receiver fixed that problem.

Unfortunately the changes also "broke" the Toshiba DST-3000 in my office altogether... all three WAVY program streams show up in the Toshiba's channel list, but there is no video or audio to be seen or heard. Usually when the Toshiba goes, so goes the Hitachi and Mitsubishi receivers, so let me know if that is the case this time too.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 6676 Old 10-18-2004, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Les Garrenton
We had to make some FCC-mandated changes to our PSIP stream today, which involved altering some of the PID numbers. The most immediate undesired effect was that many of the receivers we have here at our studio began to exhibit a channel offset problem that had Doppler Radar coming in as 10-2 instead of 10-3. A channel re-scan of the receiver fixed that problem.

Unfortunately the changes also "broke" the Toshiba DST-3000 in my office altogether... all three WAVY program streams show up in the Toshiba's channel list, but there is no video or audio to be seen or heard. Usually when the Toshiba goes, so goes the Hitachi and Mitsubishi receivers, so let me know if that is the case this time too.

Thanks!

Rescanning now... Using DirecTV HD TiVO...

UPDATE: Was getting ET on all three DT streams. After the rescan, it's all fixed...

Robert F Corbin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 | Virginia Media News & Information

email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook:

twitter:

linkedin:

google+:

pinterest:

post #93 of 6676 Old 10-18-2004, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks!

Les it didn't effect me at all. Everything still where it's suppossed to be. Did not have to rescan. (RCA F38310 w/ built-in receiver).

Harold Jackson
post #94 of 6676 Old 10-18-2004, 04:32 PM

Les:

Looks to me that Wavy is dead on my Voom boxes (two of them). Voom relies on the PSIP data stream. I re-scaned without success. However, the re-scan did find the channels. Then a soft-reboot no luck. Any suggestions?

OB
post #95 of 6676 Old 10-18-2004, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

OB, the problem could either be on our end or else there is simply an incompatibility between the new PID numbering scheme and certain boxes. We'll use the Toshiba box tomorrow to keep on hunting for a solution. Thanks for the feedback!
post #96 of 6676 Old 10-18-2004, 06:25 PM

I had no 10-1, 10-2, or 10-3 on my Voom Box tonight either (its actually a Motorola OTA/Satellite receiver). It acts like WAVY-DT is off the air (message says "No Signal"), not just black video.

I first tried rescanning, and that didn't help. I then tried to pull the power plug and reboot, and that didn't help either. So, I have NO WAVY-DT, just Analog on Cox and antenna.

Les, obviously you have done something that is incompatible with a lot of boxes, and I hope you find the problem soon.

B.T.W, there is another Voom/WAVY/WVBT compatibility problem that I have been planning to bring to your attention for several weeks. I will occasionally tune the Voom box to an OTA-DTV channel, and get NO audio. If I go to another channel (and come back) the audio is OK. There is only one problem. This never happens on any Voom Satellite channel or any other local OTA DTV channel except 10 and 43. Any clues?
post #97 of 6676 Old 10-18-2004, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Channels 10-x are dead on my Hitachi. Everything was fine on my HDTiVo except for 10-3 which was showing 10-2's video. I re-scanned and it's back to radar.
post #98 of 6676 Old 10-19-2004, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
10 was fine last night.
post #99 of 6676 Old 10-19-2004, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by TByronT
I had no 10-1, 10-2, or 10-3 on my Voom Box tonight either (its actually a Motorola OTA/Satellite receiver). It acts like WAVY-DT is off the air (message says "No Signal"), not just black video.

I first tried rescanning, and that didn't help. I then tried to pull the power plug and reboot, and that didn't help either. So, I have NO WAVY-DT, just Analog on Cox and antenna.

Les, obviously you have done something that is incompatible with a lot of boxes, and I hope you find the problem soon.

B.T.W, there is another Voom/WAVY/WVBT compatibility problem that I have been planning to bring to your attention for several weeks. I will occasionally tune the Voom box to an OTA-DTV channel, and get NO audio. If I go to another channel (and come back) the audio is OK. There is only one problem. This never happens on any Voom Satellite channel or any other local OTA DTV channel except 10 and 43. Any clues?

TbyronT

I've been having issues with Voom and WVBT. I thought it was a multipath issue but I installed an antenna that is supposed to help with that with no success. I basically get a great picture with signal strength in the mid 90's but every few minutes it will drop into the 60's, 70's or low 80's and freeze up. I'm wondering if it is a voom receiver issue.

I haven't watched WAVY in a couple of days so I can't comment on the lastest issue.

Steve

post #100 of 6676 Old 10-19-2004, 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dhahne
I have not had audio on 33-2 for the past couple of days. Problem exists on both my Hitachi and my more forgiving Zenith receivers.

Also, will up-converted SD material always be stretched or are there plans to add the black side bars?

The Audio problem has been corrected - still working on the side-pillars.

Thanks for letting me know about the problem
post #101 of 6676 Old 10-19-2004, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
WTKR-DT

From CBS...Ted

PLEASE BE ADVISED OF THE FOLLOWING CBS MOVIES AND MINI-SERIES THAT WILL BE
AVAILABLE IN HDTV:

SUN, OCTOBER 24 THE DEAD WILL TELL

SUN, OCTOBER 31 THE MADAM'S FAMILY:
THE TRUTH ABOUT CANAL STREET BROTHEL

SUN, NOVEMBER 14 CATEGORY 6: DAY OF DESTRUCTION PT. 1

WED, NOVEMBER 17 CATEGORY 6: DAY OF DESTRUCTION PT. 2

SUN, NOVEMBER 21 HALLMARK HALL OF FAME: BACK WHEN WE WERE GROWNUPS

SUN, NOVEMBER 28 WHEN ANGELS COME TO TOWN

SUN, DECEMBER 5 SAY WHEN

SUN, DECEMBER 19 HALLMARK HALL OF FAME: FALLEN ANGEL

Ted Hand, CPBE. 8VSB, DRB, AMD
I was there on July 23, 1996...First DTV broadcast in the US..WRAL-HD

Amateur Radio - W9SOC

post #102 of 6676 Old 10-19-2004, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by crouse
... still working on the side-pillars. Thanks for letting me know about the problem

The stretch-o-vision is gone at 5:30 from TVZ-DT...

Robert F Corbin

email:

facebook:

twitter:

linkedin:

google+:

pinterest:

post #103 of 6676 Old 10-19-2004, 03:39 PM

Quote:

OB, the problem could either be on our end or else there is simply an incompatibility between the new PID numbering scheme and certain boxes. We'll use the Toshiba box tomorrow to keep on hunting for a solution. Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks Les! Everything is good again. Thanks for your effort.

OB
post #104 of 6676 Old 10-19-2004, 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by No Clue
I've been having issues with Voom and WVBT. I thought it was a multipath issue but I installed an antenna that is supposed to help with that with no success. I basically get a great picture with signal strength in the mid 90's but every few minutes it will drop into the 60's, 70's or low 80's and freeze up. I'm wondering if it is a voom receiver issue.

I haven't watched WAVY in a couple of days so I can't comment on the lastest issue.

Steve,

I don't have any problem with WVBT except the 'intermittent' sound issue I reported. I hope that Les Garrington will comment on that eventually.

I am using the "standard issue" Winegard Amplified VHF/UHF antenna (figure 8 broad pattern) that Voom installs above their satellite dish. So far, I get all the local OTA (digital and analog), and UNC-TV in Columbia NC (when conditions are good, maybe 20% of time). The Voom antennas are mounted off the wooden porch of my apartment on the third floor. There is an unobstructed view to the SSW (to Driver). All locals come in at 98-99, except WHRO, which sometimes drops down into the 80's. But I don't have any observed drop outs from WHRO or any local. Of course, the satellite dish, pointing SE, has some dropouts in heavy rain -- and when a large jet takes off at Langley AFB (the end of runway is only a few miles away, and exactly in the SE path of my dish). I'm quite happy with this antenna, since it greatly outperfoms an old R.S. yagi with corner reflector, than has been retired. I could not get 33 with it, even though it was mounted in the same place.

Are you using the same antenna Voom antenna, or a replacement? I would suggest you just turn it a little each time, and try again. I originally had some drop outs with WHRO (which I thought was a multi-path issue, since their analog signal (on 15) was also ghosty, but that went away when I moved the antenna only a tiny bit.

I am thinking about how I could mix a Channel 20 "cut" yagi into the low gain Voom antenna's VHF/UHF line, so I could get UNC-TV all the time. Does anyone out there have any recommendations on this. I know I have to use a splitter/combiner with DC pass, and that I must add a DC-block to the yagi to avoid shorting the DC to the Voom antenna.

B. Thomas
post #105 of 6676 Old 10-19-2004, 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by crouse
The Audio problem has been corrected - still working on the side-pillars.

Thanks for letting me know about the problem

Charles,

As of right now (8:25 PM) still no audio on 33-2 on both the Hitachi and Zenith. Side pillars are in place on Gilmore Girls (although I thought that would be broadcast in HD).

Dave Hahne
Poquoson, VA
<><
post #106 of 6676 Old 10-19-2004, 05:27 PM

Quote:

Les,

The problem seems to be fixed. I have been receiving WAVY fine on both the Hitachi and Zenith since at least 3:30 PM.

Dave Hahne
Poquoson, VA
<><
post #107 of 6676 Old 10-19-2004, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

WAVY-DT is working again on my Hitachi too.
post #108 of 6676 Old 10-19-2004, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
The Sox game on Fox seems to have problems...the entire picture is jumping in and out every 5-10 seconds...I've only been watching for 10 min though.
post #109 of 6676 Old 10-19-2004, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by TH3_FRB
The Sox game on Fox seems to have problems...the entire picture is jumping in and out every 5-10 seconds...I've only been watching for 10 min though.

Could it be the storms moving through at the moment causing reception problems? I tuned in just now and it's working fine.
post #110 of 6676 Old 10-19-2004, 07:24 PM

I have two DT receivers. An RCA DT-100 receiver internal to my HDTV RCA F38310 and a Dishnetwork model 921 DVR HD receiver. On the RCA receiver I get the championship game on 43-1 the weather on 43-2. On the Dishnetwork receiver I get nothing but the header label calling it 43-1 WTVZ and no pic or sound, while channel 43-2 on the Dish receiver is labeled as WWS and is showing the game in HD. Do I need to rescan WTVZ-DT on the Dish receiver or is their something not quite right with the PSIP that is detected by one receiver and not the other? I think somebody had reported something like this before but it is the first time I have seen it and I'm not sure if their report was for another station.
Earl
post #111 of 6676 Old 10-19-2004, 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Todd
Could it be the storms moving through at the moment causing reception problems? I tuned in just now and it's working fine.

I saw the same thing on the RCA receiver but not on the Dishnetwork receiver.
Earl
post #112 of 6676 Old 10-19-2004, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Seems to be fine now...aside from that run the Yanks just scored I've never seen anything like this from weather or reception issues...it's like a cd skipping. The picture will jump and the sound will skip and then everything is fine for 10 seconds. It's not breaking up and the tuner remains locked on the signal.

Quote:

Originally posted by Todd

post #113 of 6676 Old 10-20-2004, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by TH3_FRB
... it's like a cd skipping. The picture will jump and the sound will skip and then everything is fine for 10 seconds. It's not breaking up and the tuner remains locked on the signal.

I saw the same thing here. I thought it was a network issue and not WVBT's. Using DirecTV HD TiVo...

Robert F Corbin

email:

facebook:

twitter:

linkedin:

google+:

pinterest:

post #114 of 6676 Old 10-20-2004, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

We have finally completed the PSIP data stream modifications for WAVY-DT and WVBT-DT as of last night. For a while we had a problem that probably caused 43-2 to disappear, but that was resolved just before the ALCS gametime last night at 8PM. It looks like everyone here is reporting that they are OK, but if there are still any of you having virtual channel numbering issues then I would recommend a re-scan of the channels. Thanks everyone for your feedback and patience!

TByronT, I'm not sure what is going on with your audio. I've only ever witnessed that sort of problem occasionally with our 43-2 (WAVY Weather Station) program stream, where sometimes I would need to channel-up or down and back to get the audio to come in. Even then the problem could only be heard when utilizing the receiver's digital audio output into a Lexicon surround processor. We've only had one other report of someone else having that same problem with 43-2, and no reports at all about that sort of thing on other channels/program streams. Unfortunately we don't have a Voom receiver at our disposal either.
post #115 of 6676 Old 10-20-2004, 07:54 AM

TByronT:

Concerning the no audio on changing a channel with the Voom receiver. This known issue with the Voom box. Do you have the latest update: 6.20
or 7.x. This is not a problem with WVBT-DT.

Regards
post #116 of 6676 Old 10-20-2004, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Having troubles with WVBT this afternoon. Rescanning to see if that "fixes" it. The signal level is all over the place for me...

UPDATE: Rescanning did the trick!

Robert F Corbin

email:

facebook:

twitter:

linkedin:

google+:

pinterest:

post #117 of 6676 Old 10-20-2004, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by VARTV
Having troubles with WVBT this afternoon. Rescanning to see if that "fixes" it. The signal level is all over the place for me...

We were having a problem on our end for a few minutes.... the RF exciter locked-up and had to be reset. You probably would have seen a black picture on your receiver. Everything should be back to normal now.
post #118 of 6676 Old 10-20-2004, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We were having a problem on our end for a few minutes.... the RF exciter locked-up and had to be reset. You probably would have seen a black picture on your receiver. Everything should be back to normal now.

Yep! That's what I was getting...

Robert F Corbin

email:

facebook:

twitter:

linkedin:

google+:

pinterest:

post #119 of 6676 Old 10-20-2004, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

There's no sound on the Tonight Show so far tonight on 10-1...
post #120 of 6676 Old 10-21-2004, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed lip-sync problems with WVEC-DT (13-1) tonight at 6:30. Switched over to the DirecTV feed of WVEC, no problems. I tested WAVY-DT at the same time. No problems. Switched to the DirecTV feed of WAVY and no problems...

Robert F Corbin

email:

facebook:

twitter:

linkedin:

google+:

pinterest:

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page