Detroit, MI - HDTV - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #361 of 11893 Old 01-01-2005, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am completely confused. I still don't have it, yet I did have it just fine this morning. I will try and reset of the HDTIVO and hope this helps.

Mark
1 SAT T-60
1 hughes Tivo
1 HD TIVO
2 D10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 11893 Old 01-01-2005, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just tuned into the Iowa-LSU game and everything looks OK-so far.
post #363 of 11893 Old 01-01-2005, 11:08 AM

Iowa - LSU looks great and no audio issues here in Canton, MI
post #364 of 11893 Old 01-01-2005, 11:14 AM

I checked the antenna with my Samsung and that can not see any signal on 7.1 either. I am completely baffled. I was receiving the signal in the mid 90's with only the audio dropouts. The strength was in the mid 70's this morning and now it is gone.

I receive all other OTA stations with no changes from before.

It took me a long time to fine tune the OTA antenna, and I really don't want to start adjusting again without knowing for sure what the problem could be.

Mark
1 SAT T-60
1 hughes Tivo
1 HD TIVO
2 D10
post #365 of 11893 Old 01-01-2005, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

mwinn

Try tuning to channel 41.3 directly. That's currently where the 7.1 programming is being broadcast.

Another thing to try would be clearing your OTA channels and scanning again. That has worked for me in the past when I "lost" channels.
post #366 of 11893 Old 01-01-2005, 01:47 PM

Is there anyone in the detroit area that has been able to get HD NBC and ABC through Directiv? I do have fox and cbs which they said I didnt need a waiver but I cannot get the other two. any ideas?

JL
post #367 of 11893 Old 01-01-2005, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jlenz
Is there anyone in the detroit area that has been able to get HD NBC and ABC through Directiv? I do have fox and cbs which they said I didnt need a waiver but I cannot get the other two.

This is by the rules. Unless you get waivers from the two non-network owned broadcasters you can't receive the NY channels from DirecTV. And getting waivers is a pretty rare thing.
post #368 of 11893 Old 01-01-2005, 05:04 PM

It looks like it 7.1 was in fact an antenna problem. I had to do another adjustment but I got it back now(High 70's). I believe it was severe multi-path was why I had it before on my last tuning of the antenna as it was very windy that day, and oddly enough it was coming in well when it got windy and was going out when the wind was calm.

Now I have to wait until it is windy again and see what channels I will lose.

Mark
1 SAT T-60
1 hughes Tivo
1 HD TIVO
2 D10
post #369 of 11893 Old 01-01-2005, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The 4th quarter of the Michigan-Texas game has just started...what the hell happened to the HD feed??
post #370 of 11893 Old 01-01-2005, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by steady teddy
The 4th quarter of the Michigan-Texas game has just started...what the hell happened to the HD feed??

I think that WXYZ may have manually switched to the analog simulcast in order to get the local commercials to air on the DT channel, then forgot to switch back to the HD feed until several minutes elapsed.

Roger in DTW
post #371 of 11893 Old 01-02-2005, 07:39 AM
boo
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by jlenz
Is there anyone in the detroit area that has been able to get HD NBC and ABC through Directiv? I do have fox and cbs which they said I didnt need a waiver but I cannot get the other two. any ideas?

JL

I am amazed you did not need waivers from Toledo since we fall in their Grade B area, I was turned down for CBS based on that, and since NBC and ABC are not O & O it might be tough to get them on D*.
post #372 of 11893 Old 01-02-2005, 07:03 PM

Anybody have suggestions for an amplifer to use with my Silver Sensor antenna? As of the past few weeks it has been more difficult to obtain a strong signal that doesn't drop out.

Thanks,
Shawn
post #373 of 11893 Old 01-02-2005, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by boo
I am amazed you did not need waivers from Toledo since we fall in their Grade B area, I was turned down for CBS based on that

boo,
Toledo's Grade B zone doesn't cover the whole Detroit DMA. For example, I'm in Royal Oak, and Toledo CBS comes up as grade B for me. My brother is in Sterling Heights, and he's free and clear. We live about 10 miles apart, ATCF.

Even stranger, when they were activating accounts for CBS last year, Toledo did not come up at all for my address. So, not only is it seemingly arbitrary, but it is not fixed, either.

BTW, I was not cut off from CBS when my status changed. At least, not yet.
post #374 of 11893 Old 01-03-2005, 05:44 PM

Where is WXYZ? The sugar bowl is on and I'm not getting a signal in Wixom.

Ken
post #375 of 11893 Old 01-03-2005, 06:26 PM

I have full HD signal here in Novi with Brighthouse.
post #376 of 11893 Old 01-03-2005, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Full signal OTA in Westland (Comcast, too) -- haven't heard any dropouts.

Roger in DTW
post #377 of 11893 Old 01-03-2005, 07:25 PM

The hardpart for me is whether to watch the Sugar Bowl in HD or Bikini Destinations on HDNet.
post #378 of 11893 Old 01-04-2005, 08:15 AM

Something is goofy! I still don't' have WXYZ coming in but all the other local channels are. It's been one of my best stations until yesterday, makes no sense. I guess it's back to the attic, I hate that!

Ken
post #379 of 11893 Old 01-04-2005, 10:45 AM

I just moved from Royal Oak to Warren. Have Voom. Don Lors did the switch. Actual installer dude was good guy and did good job. Problem is the company itself, Don Lors. I've had about ten appointments with this company since June (install, antenna upgrade, re-peak dish, replace receiver, de-install, install) and have had them show up as scheduled exactly once. I am always told when making the appointment that the tech will call between 8 and 9:30 to give me an ETA. Have never been called by a tech. But here's the part that really raised my eyebrows yesterday : when I called to inquire as to why the tech still hadn't showed up and I hadn't heard from him, I was told I had been pushed back to an afternoon appointment (and no one lets me know this?) because the installer had to take his son to the emergency room. This is the second time this exact scenario happened. No show, no call, I call, I call, I'm told the son-to-the-emergency-room bit. Could be a coincidence, I suppose, but it seems odd to me that this company has a better chance of their tech needing to rush his son to the emergency room than showing up for my scheduled appointment. Has anyone else heard this from Don Lors? I'm just kinda wondering if maybe this isn't their standard excuse for a wayward service tech.
post #380 of 11893 Old 01-04-2005, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ken Stokes
Something is goofy! I still don't' have WXYZ coming in but all the other local channels are. It's been one of my best stations until yesterday, makes no sense. I guess it's back to the attic, I hate that!

Ken

Why put up with all this nonsense when you can just get cable and be done with it?

Ken

I think I am, therefore I am, I think
post #381 of 11893 Old 01-04-2005, 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kreisman
Why put up with all this nonsense when you can just get cable and be done with it?

I guess they must have satellite?? Thankfullly I have Comcast and don't have to worry about moving an antenna.
post #382 of 11893 Old 01-04-2005, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Ken Stokes

Quote:

Originally posted by kreisman

There's a huge snarl of threads on this subject in the programming forum. Go there to find the answers you seek.

Ken, before you fiddle with the antenna, try rescanning your OTA channels. WXYZ-DT moved from 41.1 to 41.3 last week. Maybe your receiver hasn't discovered that yet?
post #383 of 11893 Old 01-05-2005, 05:36 PM

Quote:

...because the cable can suck badly, depending on your area.

I have been using the locals on my Livonia Brighthouse. Unfortunately there's no WB, no UPN (no enterprise!), few subchannels, and ABC which comes in fine over the air is totally screwed up on the cable signal. The office accused me of stealing cable by using my own tuner to receive the unencrypted QAM signal for local stations; they're not tactful.

They can't give me an un-remapped channel listing, and don't give a lick of support unless you're renting their set-top box for an additional $15+ per month. I don't have high hopes that it would work better, even if I paid $100+ for their high-end package.

In the face of that, OTA reception looks pretty good. My past 2 weeks of Livonia BrightHouse HDTV has been pretty miserable. I have better reception and more channels over the air!
post #384 of 11893 Old 01-05-2005, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Looks like WXZY fixed the problem(s) - Lost and Alias were great tonight. first time I've watch ABC in a while.
post #385 of 11893 Old 01-05-2005, 10:28 PM

I concur ... Lost was flawless last night.
post #386 of 11893 Old 01-06-2005, 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by joeyoravec
...because the cable can suck badly, depending on your area.

I have been using the locals on my Livonia Brighthouse. Unfortunately there's no WB, no UPN (no enterprise!), few subchannels, and ABC which comes in fine over the air is totally screwed up on the cable signal. The office accused me of stealing cable by using my own tuner to receive the unencrypted QAM signal for local stations; they're not tactful.
In the face of that, OTA reception looks pretty good. My past 2 weeks of Livonia BrightHouse HDTV has been pretty miserable. I have better reception and more channels over the air!

Oh great, I'm really looking forward to Brighthouse's install tomorrow. HSI and digital cable via cablecard (temporarily anyway). Turns out its cheaper to get the Digital Variety Pack and cablecard than it is to have basic analog for three months---whoopie! You see they offer free installation with digital cable and variety pack for 3 months for 30 bucks-- Basic cable is $40 a month, plus I'd have to pay for the install. A couple months of HBO-HD should be cool I guess.

Sucks your reception is bad, luckily my OTA-HD is rock solid. You get any other unscrambled HD channels? I heard TNT comes through.

Oh and Lost was stunning last night. The scene where Sawyer and Kate first approached the waterfall lagoon really made me glad I have HD. I found Alias- albeit a 'darker' show, to have much more grain. I thought the sound was punched up more than Lost though-- not sure if it was better.
post #387 of 11893 Old 01-06-2005, 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by UMDMatt
Oh great, I'm really looking forward to Brighthouse's install tomorrow. HSI and digital cable via cablecard (temporarily anyway)....

Sucks your reception is bad, luckily my OTA-HD is rock solid. You get any other unscrambled HD channels? I heard TNT comes through.

Actually my OTA reception is fine; watched Lost/Alias OTA with no problems at all. The Livonia BrightHouse cable signal (QAM) for ABC is what's hosed.

I posted my BrightHouse findings earlier in this thread. Over cable I get unencrypted QAM for: FOX, NBC, CBS, PBS, and TNT which work fine, and ABC which is broken. They're missing WB, UPN, and I couldn't find Discovery (might be encrypted, or maybe I missed it).

You're welcome to check out my setup, since you may want a plan after the promotion; by my calculation it'll cost you $109/mo regular price (extra with movie channels). The cablecard is a good bargain in your case (was it $1.99?), but I'm generally happy with the one-time tuner purchase instead of an ongoing $15/mo to rent their tuner.

Please post your experience after the install! Maybe it works better with their hardware. Also let us know what channels you receive.

Also, feel free to complain to city council about the cable monopoly. It costs me $87/mo for basic cable plus cablemodem. My friends in Dearborn pay WOW around $55/mo for roughly the same service. Now, is that evidence that we get ripped off having a citywide cable monopoly? I think so.
post #388 of 11893 Old 01-06-2005, 09:12 AM

Joeyoravec-

I hear you on the monopoly, I actually called WOW and they said they were available in my zip but not in my neighborhood. Tried to deal with Brighthouse CSRs on the rates and they came out with this three month special. THREE??!? What a joke.

I'll be interested to see what I can pull in with the cablecard, for the three months I'll have it it's going to be included in $30/month. After that I'm dumping digital all together. I just want basic cable and my OTA HD. Any unscrambled HD cable networks I pull are just gravy. TNT would be great though, I'd love to see the few Pistons games they have on their schedule in HD. I'm just not willing to shell out a $100+ a month for cable+internet. Could possibly go cheaper with Dish and DSL but I really don't like controlling my TV through a cablebox.
post #389 of 11893 Old 01-06-2005, 02:44 PM

Hey, any word on if Comcast will pick up ESPN 2 HD? I don't see it anywhere in the lineup, and they begins broadcasting tonight at 7pm ET.
post #390 of 11893 Old 01-06-2005, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The reports I saw said that DirecTV and Adelphia were the first and so far only providers to sign up to carry ESPN2 HD. Don't know where negotiations stand with Comcast.

Roger in DTW
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page