2Likes

post #451 of 11909 Old 01-29-2005, 01:20 PM
boo
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I keep waiting for news for when Fox Sports-Detroit starts doing some HD, we are in a top ten market , yet have heard nothing, summer is coming up, lot of reruns on OTA during that time, perfect time for Tigers Baseball in HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 11909 Old 01-29-2005, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by boo
I keep waiting for news for when Fox Sports-Detroit starts doing some HD, we are in a top ten market , yet have heard nothing, summer is coming up, lot of reruns on OTA during that time, perfect time for Tigers Baseball in HD.

Let's just hope that the baseball is HD-worthy....

Roger in DTW
post #453 of 11909 Old 01-29-2005, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by rreini
Let's just hope that the baseball is HD-worthy....

I didn't know there was such a thing as "unworthy of HD" in this forum.

Sadly, it don't think that, worthy or not, FSN Detroit has any plans to produce HD events this year.
post #454 of 11909 Old 01-30-2005, 12:03 PM

It really is too bad if FSN Detroit doesn't go HD. Watching through Comcast, I find the current FSN to be one of the worst stations in existence in terms of picture quality. It is not SD, its LLLD, as in low, lower, lowest definition. Nearly unwatchable. I'm guessing my nightlight has more watts than their transmitter.

Ken

I think I am, therefore I am, I think
post #455 of 11909 Old 01-30-2005, 03:21 PM
boo
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by tbb1226
I didn't know there was such a thing as "unworthy of HD" in this forum.

Sadly, it don't think that, worthy or not, FSN Detroit has any plans to produce HD events this year.

And I wish I knew why, here is a list of all ( that I could find ) the FSNs that are doing HD games before us:
FSN Bay Area
FSN Chicago
FSN Florida
FSN New England
FSN Ohio
FSN New York
FSN Arizona
FSN Minnesota
FSN North
FSN South
FSN Northwest
FSN Southwest
FSN West
FSN West2
post #456 of 11909 Old 01-31-2005, 11:37 AM

OK...here is my problem-

I have been having this problem for months now when watching my local HD channels, the sound and now video drop every 5-10 mins or so for about 5 seconds. Comcast has installed new lines to my house, checked the signal mutiple times..etc now they are coming out to install a amp..anyone having the same problem? I am ready to jump ship to Directv
post #457 of 11909 Old 01-31-2005, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mkraftdet
OK...here is my problem-

I have been having this problem for months now when watching my local HD channels, the sound and now video drop every 5-10 mins or so for about 5 seconds. Comcast has installed new lines to my house, checked the signal mutiple times..etc now they are coming out to install a amp..anyone having the same problem? I am ready to jump ship to Directv

I have DirecTV and also get the HD Channels off of antenna. When you say drop outs, are these just momentary drop outs of audio or are they sustained.?

I can tell you I experience drop-outs from both sources I use, but they are momentary.
post #458 of 11909 Old 01-31-2005, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the quick follow up:

they are usually during prime time shows and commercials. They last 4-5 seconds, but happen every 5-10 mins or so. Video pixilation happens as well, but not as much. Do you think a amp would help?
post #459 of 11909 Old 01-31-2005, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

I am no expert, I can tell you. Like I say, I do experience audio drop outs both with DirecTV and off antenna. Usually the duration of the drops are about 1 second. Can't say there is any regular interval to them. Hopefully some one wiser than I can give you good advice.
post #460 of 11909 Old 01-31-2005, 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ken H
For those in the Detroit area receiving WJBK-DT over-the-air, here is an update, 1/28/05.

Around 8pm, WJBK-DT re-mapped PIDs. Now the main HD channel is on UHF 58.3
Some receivers may need to re-scan, power cycle, etc.

So that's why it disappeared and then reappeared when I rescanned for channels. As a side benefit I'm now picking up 6 out of Lansing sometimes.
post #461 of 11909 Old 02-01-2005, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Originally posted by mkraftdet
Thanks for the quick follow up:

they are usually during prime time shows and commercials. They last 4-5 seconds, but happen every 5-10 mins or so. Video pixilation happens as well, but not as much. Do you think a amp would help?

I have Comcast Cablecard & Silver Sensor ext ant. There are burps in both systems. They are occasional and short. Nothing like you are describing. I watch OTA when possible but multipath and signal drops make Comcast a good backup. Let Comcast install amp. Should clear up 95% of problem.

Good Luck
Tee Jay
post #462 of 11909 Old 02-02-2005, 05:26 AM

Hi,

A lot of the Cleveland stations have done that as well over the past month or so. Some one on the Cleveland OTA thread reported that it was a "Mandate" by the FCC. Anyway 58.3 comes in pretty solid here about 45 right now.

Any of you guys try getting Cleveland?

Dan

Originally posted by Ken H
For those in the Detroit area receiving WJBK-DT over-the-air, here is an update, 1/28/05.

Around 8pm, WJBK-DT re-mapped PIDs. Now the main HD channel is on UHF 58.3
Some receivers may need to re-scan, power cycle, etc.

Intermod
post #463 of 11909 Old 02-02-2005, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I bought a 32 inch Panasonic HDTV two years ago.

When I watch shows that are in HD on Fox 2 (183 on Comcast). The bottom half of the Fox logo it chopped off. Additionally I believe that their is a 2 next to the X in Fox but I cant see that at all.

When I watch NBA TV on INHD (174 on Comcast) the bottom of the crawl is completely chopped off.

When I watch some shows on Discovery (172 on Comcast) HD the logo is cramped on the very right edge of the screen.

When I watch a CSTV or INHD TV produced sporting event the score box is crammed against the top of the screen.

I have the Circuit City advantage plan and the tech told me that it is a Comcast problem. I made him bring two more TV's to my house to test out his theory.

The first one was a new 27 in Panasonic. It had the same problems. But if I view the same program using the RCA inputs the problem is entirely eliminated (the test set and mine too).

The second was a new 27 in Sony. At first it had the same problems then the TV warmed up and it was virtually eliminated.

The tech now claims that there is nothing wrong with TV. His explanation is that this is the quality level you get with a Panasonic, or it is still the cable.

I don't at all believe it is the cable since if it was people would be screaming about all over the net.

I spoke with his boss in Pittsburgh and he says they will try to figure out a way to attempt a repair. Before they consider taking back the TV.

They also claim that Panasonic says it is the cable.

This has be going on since the middle of December. I feel like I'm getting the run around.

My question is do any of my observations with regards to the picture geometry seem wrong? Is this the way it is?

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to deal with CC in a more effective manner?
post #464 of 11909 Old 02-02-2005, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Dawgdaes
My question is do any of my observations with regards to the picture geometry seem wrong? Is this the way it is?

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to deal with CC in a more effective manner?

Your set has excessive overscan for HD inputs. This is common - and often treatable - but fixing it typically requires access to the service menu, which is intended only for "qualified" TV technicians.

There are "tweaking" guides all over the internet for most televisions, I believe. Hopefully, you can find your model's guide and do the adjustment yourself. I read somewhere that InHD occasionally broadcasts some test patterns that can be used to evaluate and set your overscan. I don't have cable, so I don't know what the schedule is.

If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, call a Panasonic service technician and leave the Circuit City clowns out of it. If they are that clueless, you don't want them messing around in your service codes, anyway.

Excessive overscan is often set at the factory to avoid edge distortion service calls. Many times, factory settings can be adjusted to show more picture without causing any ill effects.

However, you may find, as I did with my Mitsubishi, that you can't adjust all the overscan out without exposing some picture distortion near the edges. This is the main reason overscan exists (to hide the distortion), and it varies from set to set. I have to leave a little extra overscan (6-8%) on all edges because of this.

Good luck.
post #465 of 11909 Old 02-03-2005, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawgdaes
I bought a 32 inch Panasonic HDTV two years ago.

When I watch shows that are in HD on Fox 2 (183 on Comcast). The bottom half of the Fox logo it chopped off. Additionally I believe that their is a 2 next to the X in Fox but I cant see that at all.

(lot's of text deleted)

Whole books could probably be written on overscan. But for those who'd like some point of reference: When the "Fox 2" logo is inserted by the splicer during prime-time programming, the space between the right edge of the "2" and the right edge of the active video is approximately the width of the "F". Likewise, the space between the bottom of the logo and the bottom of the active video is approximately the height of the horizontal bars in the "F".
Please note that this only applies to the spliced-in logo, NOT the "Fox 2" logo that is inserted during non-network programming.

Views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer or its parent company.
post #466 of 11909 Old 02-04-2005, 07:02 AM

Dawgdaes,

If you wanted to checkout for yourself how to fix your set, you could go to Here . This is a good site with alot of brand specific information. Please note that some of the information at that site could permanantly damage your set, should you make a mistake. But, if your good at reading instructions, fairly brave, and do enough research, you should be fine.

Dave
post #467 of 11909 Old 02-04-2005, 08:08 AM

I have comcast coming out today to install HD and their DVR. What can i expect? Do they supply the DVI to HDMI cable? Will they have one? What questions should i ask of them? Any "gotcha's"

Gregg
post #468 of 11909 Old 02-04-2005, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GreggM
I have comcast coming out today to install HD and their DVR. What can i expect? Do they supply the DVI to HDMI cable? Will they have one? What questions should i ask of them? Any "gotcha's"

Gregg

No DVI cables from Comcast. They will give you Composite cables (RYG) for you connection and they are good but you will want to either get better ones or purchase a DVI cable. I would assume you are getting the Dual DVR Tuner 6412.

I had my installed in Late Nov and I am very happy with it. Here a couple of things to know:

1) If you are recording a show and then you turn on the TV to watch something the sound will be muted and and you may get message "that if you continue you will stop the recording". Highlight "continue recording" and make sure the mute button on the Remote is programmed to work with the cable box and not your TV. This will enable you to turn the mute off and watch TV (Has to due with the box and a warm up issue). The tech can set that up and if he can't go to the HD Recorder Form and look under Comcast 6412 and they have the instruction to change the remote.

2) Understand one thing about how Comcast has set-up there recording schedule. It is by the show not the time so if a show is set to record at 9pm and there is a game on before it and it runs over the 9pm time frame the box does not recognize that and will start to record at 9pm and you will miss the end of your recorded show. You can modify the show to tape 1,2,3 ,mins up to 3 hrs after the show is suppose to stop.

Go to the Comcast 6412 form and there is a ton of info there if you other questions.

Enjoy

Jeff
post #469 of 11909 Old 02-04-2005, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fezz15
No DVI cables from Comcast. They will give you Composite cables (RYG) for you connection and they are good but you will want to either get better ones or purchase a DVI cable.

I think you meant to say component cables. The red, blue and green ones (make sure they give you these since they tried to install mine originally with the regular cable line. Luckily I had my own component cables).
post #470 of 11909 Old 02-04-2005, 10:32 AM

I will be heading out to ABC warehouse to get the dvi to hdmi cable.
post #471 of 11909 Old 02-04-2005, 06:01 PM

Is anyone having trouble with CBS digital/HD? This has always been one of my better channels OTA but for the last week or so I'm not getting anything when I tune to that channel. I do get the analog signal. I'm also not getting UPN or WB but I don't watch those regularly. FOX, NBC, ABC and PBS are fine. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
post #472 of 11909 Old 02-04-2005, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by sheereluck
Is anyone having trouble with CBS digital/HD? This has always been one of my better channels OTA but for the last week or so I'm not getting anything when I tune to that channel. I do get the analog signal. I'm also not getting UPN or WB but I don't watch those regularly. FOX, NBC, ABC and PBS are fine. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Where in Canton are you? In Westland, near Warren and Newburgh, I'm receiving both CBS and UPN just fine.

Roger in DTW
post #473 of 11909 Old 02-04-2005, 06:36 PM

No problems with CBS, however UPN and WB are both out for me as well. UPN has been the most unreliable channel since it first came on. Works good for several months then power is decreased for several months.
post #474 of 11909 Old 02-04-2005, 08:10 PM

I'm at Ford and Lilley. I called my buddy in Westland (Newburgh and Cherry Hill) and he wasn't getting CBS either. Can't quite figure it out. I've never had a problem before and now I'm getting nothing.
post #475 of 11909 Old 02-05-2005, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm at Ford and Lilley. I called my buddy in Westland (Newburgh and Cherry Hill) and he wasn't getting CBS either. Can't quite figure it out. I've never had a problem before and now I'm getting nothing.

Your antenna height and/or may be a factor. My OTA setup is in a second-floor bedroom, and I rarely have problems there. Now when I had an OTA setup on the first floor of my condo, I would have difficulties, and UPN was one of them. They were at a different angle to the others, and one antenna position wouldn't work for all of the stations.

Now since you're farther west than I am, directionality may be less of an issue for you, yet height may be more important.

Roger in DTW
post #476 of 11909 Old 02-05-2005, 06:53 AM

Quote:

Your antenna height and/or may be a factor. My OTA setup is in a second-floor bedroom, and I rarely have problems there. Now when I had an OTA setup on the first floor of my condo, I would have difficulties, and UPN was one of them. They were at a different angle to the others, and one antenna position wouldn't work for all of the stations.

Thanks Roger. My antenna is on a second floor as well. It is a Winegard antenna that DirecTV installed back in July. I have never had any problems with CBS until now. As I said before, I'm still picking up most of the other digital channels OTA and I get CBS in analog. It seems strange that I am all of the sudden getting absolutely nothing. Usually if you have reception problems you at least start to pick up the signal and then it drops on you. That's why I was thinking/hoping that it was just a problem CBS was having.

If anyone can think of anything I could try, please let me know. I unplugged my receiver (Samsung TS-360) for about 20 minutes last night and that didn't change anything. Thanks again!
post #477 of 11909 Old 02-05-2005, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks Roger. My antenna is on a second floor as well. It is a Winegard antenna that DirecTV installed back in July. I have never had any problems with CBS until now. As I said before, I'm still picking up most of the other digital channels OTA and I get CBS in analog. It seems strange that I am all of the sudden getting absolutely nothing. Usually if you have reception problems you at least start to pick up the signal and then it drops on you. That's why I was thinking/hoping that it was just a problem CBS was having.

If anyone can think of anything I could try, please let me know. I unplugged my receiver (Samsung TS-360) for about 20 minutes last night and that didn't change anything. Thanks again!

Your receiver may be an issue, too. It's not uncommon for different receivers to have problems decoding some stations' signals. I'm using an old RCA DTC-100 for OTA reception. I'm not familiar with the quirks of the Samsung receivers, but I imagine some of the readers here are. Might WWJ have done something recently to their signals that affects reception on Samsung receivers?

Roger in DTW
post #478 of 11909 Old 02-05-2005, 12:28 PM

Hi, Newbie here. I have a very basic question:
I am using US Digital and an indoor antenna to get OTA signal. I also use Infocus X1 (flashed to 4800) as the HD display. I can only get a true 16:9 HD image on some programs on CBS during prime time. Most time I am getting a 4:3 image centered on my screen with gray pillar-boxes on left and right side - I set my x1 and digital receiver both in 16:9 mode. I also noticed the other stations like FOX, ABC, and NBC give same 4:3 image but without pillar-boxes. Is this normal or I am doing something wrong in my setup?
Thanks much!
post #479 of 11909 Old 02-05-2005, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by 3deal
Hi, Newbie here. I have a very basic question:
I am using US Digital and an indoor antenna to get OTA signal. I also use Infocus X1 (flashed to 4800) as the HD display. I can only get a true 16:9 HD image on some programs on CBS during prime time. Most time I am getting a 4:3 image centered on my screen with gray pillar-boxes on left and right side - I set my x1 and digital receiver both in 16:9 mode. I also noticed the other stations like FOX, ABC, and NBC give same 4:3 image but without pillar-boxes. Is this normal or I am doing something wrong in my setup?
Thanks much!

You're doing nothing wrong. All of the major stations in town fit their 4:3 programming inside a 16:9 window when they aren't transmitting 16:9 programming. It's just that WWJ (CBS) uses gray sidebars, while the other stations use black sidebars. WWJ used to use black sidebars, too, but they switched to gray ones sometime in the last year or so.

The only OTA channel that has 16:9 programming around the clock around here is PBS.

Roger in DTW
post #480 of 11909 Old 02-05-2005, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

When I tune to 56-1 or 56-2, I get a "searching for signal" message. It even locked up my receiver when I left it tuned to that channel waiting for it to find the signal. I had to power off and restart the receiver to regain control.

After the reboot, I cleared and re-scanned OTA channels, and it found 43-1 and 43-2, but no 56-1 and -2. This is problematic, since I have a few HD-TiVo scheduled recordings on 56-1, including Austin City Limits at midnight tonight.

Is this happening to anyone else out there? What would cause it?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page