2Likes

post #991 of 11909 Old 09-13-2005, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnputnamjr View Post

Has anyone had the issue with Channel 7.1 ABC Detroit switching from HD to SD? Last night that must have happened about 20 times during the football game. Is it the station or my reception? In the middle of plays the picture would change to 4:3 and go SD - then it would switch back and forth....

This was happening to me too last night. I wondered the same...station or my reception.

I'm not sure which it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 11909 Old 09-13-2005, 12:15 PM

The "national feed" for HD is always sketchy at best with ABC - have had similar issues with other ABC programming. Glad to hear it is their equipment and not mine. That is a nice change!

The moose out front should have told you...
post #993 of 11909 Old 09-13-2005, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The "national feed" for HD is always sketchy at best with ABC

I disagree. I've had very few issues with ABC via WXYZ-DT over the years. Last night's problems may be on them, but with the exception of a three-four week period last fall and the occasional "late flip of the switch" (both WXYZ problems, not ABC), I've experienced nearly 100% solid HDTV signal quality from ABC.

I'm watching via OTA in Royal Oak
post #994 of 11909 Old 09-14-2005, 01:38 PM

Got my CM 4228, stuck in the attic, results are pretty good so far. I'm in Howell, ~25-30 miles from the DET broadcasts. Every channel is within 118-122 degrees. But I get no signal on UPN. Does this pretty much mean multipath problems? I didn't even think about it at the time and bolted everything up permanent . I'll have to mess with it to see if I can pick up UPN.

ABC usually hangs around 70%, though it just went up to 85% and dropped to 67% in the past 2 minutes. NBC 60%, FOX 70%, PBS 70%, CBS 80%, and the oddball WB at 95-100% . All fluctuate within 5% of that often.

The antenna is within 1ft of the side wall of the roof pointing south, so its as close to being outside without being outside as it can be. I noticed towards the top of my 4228 the left panel is overlapping the right panel, would that affect anything or is it worth worrying about? And what signal % should I strive for?
post #995 of 11909 Old 09-14-2005, 02:26 PM

Dr. Don, someone asked you if you knew anthing about this a while ago, and you mentioned they were right downstairs from where you worked so you would ask them.

Any new news on it? Dang, I'd like to watch the Wings in HD.
post #996 of 11909 Old 09-14-2005, 02:28 PM

Also, one more thing:

Anyone know a good HD calibration expert in the Metro area? I live in Allen Park, and would love for an "expert" to come over to help me calibrate my HD set. I know the black levels are too high and everything, but can't find that "sweet spot" that looks the best and need some professional help.

Thanks!
post #997 of 11909 Old 09-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Gee, I didn't think anyone was paying attention. . Seems I remember it when I'm arriving at work at 4AM, but forget it when I leave. I'll see if I can remember before the week's out. I may have to go on their roof, tomorrow, anyway. Seems one of the workmen knocked one of our sat dishes out of alignment. I may have to go through their offices for roof access.

Doc

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #998 of 11909 Old 09-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkmj View Post

Also, one more thing:

Anyone know a good HD calibration expert in the Metro area? I live in Allen Park, and would love for an "expert" to come over to help me calibrate my HD set. I know the black levels are too high and everything, but can't find that "sweet spot" that looks the best and need some professional help.

Thanks!

http://www.summithdtv.com/
I was happy with price, quality and punctuality.
post #999 of 11909 Old 09-16-2005, 08:41 AM

TeeJay,
So, were his rates comparable to others in the area? I have a Samsung Plasma that I think needs to be calibrated, and I guess $250 isn't bad considering he spends 3-4 hours there.
Did you see a world of difference?
What's bugging me most is some pixelating/artifacts (not sure if I'm describing it right) when shows I watch in HD go to extremely dark shots. I think the brightness or contrast is turned up too high, but I'm not sure.

I guess I'm asking you (and everyone who's ever had their HD set calibrated) if it was well worth the money?

Thanks.
post #1000 of 11909 Old 09-16-2005, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Dr. Don, someone asked you if you knew anthing about this a while ago, and you mentioned they were right downstairs from where you worked so you would ask them.

Any new news on it? Dang, I'd like to watch the Wings in HD.

Here's the official response: "Not anytime soon, but we're working on it daily."

Here's something I didn't know: There are no facilities at FSD. The origination comes out of Houston. The only things in the building below us are offices and edit suites.

Doc

post #1001 of 11909 Old 09-16-2005, 12:13 PM

I called comcast about my problem and they said I have to pay the fee to recieve any HD. Of course I didn't mention I am recieving TNT in HD for fear of losing it, but what a bunch of crap. I talked to a couple different people and they all said the same thing. No HD without the fee. I didn't know how to get a different answer without mentioning TNT at all. One interesting thing is on comcast.com no HD is listed in my local channel lineup, but when I punch in a detroit zip, HD channels show up on the listing. Maybe I'm just not supposed to get any yet because they are still rolling it out in my area, I don't know. But that doesn't match with the fact that I can order the service and they tell me I can. I am tempted to just pay the fee to see if it does anything, but I don't want to waste money. And I don't have an actual HD set to test it against, just my computer, which doesn't recieve the locals now when it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKluck View Post

I'm a new to the HDTV game, but I just bought a HDTVfusion 5 gold card for my PC. I wanted to test my cable with it before I bought a 4228 and stuck it in the attic (Which I'm probably going to do regardless if I can fix this problem).

Anyway, I live in Hartland/Howell (~25-30 miles from all the major broadcasts) and have
comcast expanded basic, I don't pay for any digital or anything. For the life of me I cannot get ANY local channels in HD. In fact, the only HD I can get through comcast is TNT @ 68-6! I was under the impression you had to pay the $5 monthly fee to get that. My stations are 2-58 analog, and digital on 59-78. 79-125 is nothing.

I get the digital cable music channels, some random digital channels like espn news, toon disney, soapnet on 68 and a couple subchannels and 64 and a couple subchannels. I get a couple hbo/indemand or something or others too. Usually on 76-? and 78-?. I find it absolutely insane and infuriating I can get these channels and TNT in HD when ALL the locals are encrypted. Why would they encrypt the locals and not TNT? I've gone manually through all the channels in 256 and 64QAM and despite getting a signal on pretty much all the ones I know are digital, I get no picture/sound. The locals have to be around here somewhere right? I've reinstalled software, different versions, beta versions, everything I could possibly do and I always get the same ~24 channels.

I'm not really sure how anyone can help me actually, I just need to know if this is crazy. Would comcast encrypt the locals in my area? Would they encrypt the locals but NOT TNT? I've read this thread and I don't think anyone has had their locals encrypted. Especially in the Detroit area which is was one of the first markets with widespread HDTV broadcasts. Maybe someone in the Howell/Hartland area can give me their experiences?

post #1002 of 11909 Old 09-16-2005, 01:45 PM

Thanks DrDon. I appreciate it. Just wish it would be sooner rather than later. Any other hockey fans on here? The OLN recently signed the NHL to a 2 year deal to broadcast their games, and in the intial press release said they would offer HD games.
Anyone know of any plans to add a full time OLN HD dedicated station? Or do you think they'll just put the broadcasts on INHD (comcast owned) when a game is on?

Just wondering if there is anyone in the know on this board.

Thanks.
post #1003 of 11909 Old 09-16-2005, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

TeeJay,
So, were his rates comparable to others in the area? I have a Samsung Plasma that I think needs to be calibrated, and I guess $250 isn't bad considering he spends 3-4 hours there.

I guess I'm asking you (and everyone who's ever had their HD set calibrated) if it was well worth the money?

In a word, "hell yes!"

It may be different for plasma displays, but my RPCRT looked a LOT better after I had it ISF calibrated three years ago.

BTW, I'm guessing you'll be hard pressed to find "others in the area" to compare rates. Until very recently, and perhaps even still now, people in the area had to commission calibration "tours" by ISF techs from as far away as D.C. because there was no qualified local service.
post #1004 of 11909 Old 09-17-2005, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

TeeJay,
Did you see a world of difference?
What's bugging me most is some pixelating/artifacts (not sure if I'm describing it right) when shows I watch in HD go to extremely dark shots. I think the brightness or contrast is turned up too high, but I'm not sure.

Thanks.

It is all about the color. I found that ISF calibration turned what I consider "electric orange" into various shades of pink and white and red for caucasions. You can see the difference twixt Mexican, East Indian and Mid Eastern nationalities. Everything is more natural. You should see V.J. Singh (the golfer) as the brownest man I have ever seen. (not black).
I think the SD looks better after turning down the "edge enhancements."
It took 4 or 5 hours. Blackened windows and used computer equipment to find the right white scale.
I did not get another quote for price. Seemed to be in the price range that was bandied about the net.
post #1005 of 11909 Old 09-18-2005, 02:24 PM

anybody having trouble with wwj hdtv on the green bay game? not getting hd? 4:3 ratio instead of 16:9?

post #1006 of 11909 Old 09-18-2005, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

anybody having trouble with wwj hdtv on the green bay game? not getting hd? 4:3 ratio instead of 16:9?

I wasn't receiving it either (OTA), but it's now in HD. I think there were HD problems before the game started, as well -- it was a studio update, and CBS's are in HD, correct?

There weren't any problems with the HD on the Lions game -- the Lions were having the problems

Roger in DTW
post #1007 of 11909 Old 09-18-2005, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Green Bay game is fine here. Did notice that none of this year's CBS HD games are using the flush-left or flush-right score bug like last year. They're in the 4:3 area on all of their games (unless I'm missing something)

post #1008 of 11909 Old 09-19-2005, 06:52 AM

Thanks - The game finally changed over to HD and wide. Then - the Emmy awards were back to 4:3 last night. Wonder why WWJ is having such trouble?

post #1009 of 11909 Old 09-19-2005, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Thanks DrDon. I appreciate it. Just wish it would be sooner rather than later. Any other hockey fans on here? The OLN recently signed the NHL to a 2 year deal to broadcast their games, and in the intial press release said they would offer HD games.
Anyone know of any plans to add a full time OLN HD dedicated station? Or do you think they'll just put the broadcasts on INHD (comcast owned) when a game is on?

Just wondering if there is anyone in the know on this board.

Thanks.

OLN HD will be launched in October. As for who will carry it, who knows...I am sure Comcast will have it but WOW and D* and E*...who knows.
post #1010 of 11909 Old 09-19-2005, 08:31 AM

I have finally got my OTA anteanna (Winegard SS-1000) working with my D* HD-10. KenH suggested getting a 4-bay bow tie, which I think I just may end up doing.

Question though...does anybody have OTA reception issues with certain channels here in Detroit? The only one I have a problem locking into is Channel 62. The rest I am getting in the upper 70s to up near 100% percent quality.
post #1011 of 11909 Old 09-19-2005, 07:08 PM

I live downriver, in Allen Park, so I was thinking I might be able to pull in some HD programming from Toledo. So, I pointed my big aerial antenna (on my house when I bought it) toward Toledo and got Channel 11 (WTOL I believe), the SD version in excellent quality. I looked online and saw they have a digital channel also, but for the life of my my automatic tuner couldn't pull it in. I then tried it manually and no luck.

Has anyone here who lives in the lower part of the state been able to pull any HD in from Toledo?

Thanks.
post #1012 of 11909 Old 09-20-2005, 12:31 PM

Quote:

I live downriver, in Allen Park, so I was thinking I might be able to pull in some HD programming from Toledo. So, I pointed my big aerial antenna (on my house when I bought it) toward Toledo and got Channel 11 (WTOL I believe), the SD version in excellent quality. I looked online and saw they have a digital channel also, but for the life of my my automatic tuner couldn't pull it in. I then tried it manually and no luck.

Has anyone here who lives in the lower part of the state been able to pull any HD in from Toledo?

Thanks.

I am in Dearborn...I can get the Toledo stations if I completely turn my roof-mounted Winegard Sensar II antenna the other way around.
post #1013 of 11909 Old 09-20-2005, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone watch Smart Travels w/ Rudy Maxa on PBS 56.1 lately? The picture quality has looked like crap for months now. It's almost as if I'm watching HD lite. Are these shows really in HD??
post #1014 of 11909 Old 09-20-2005, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
1. How does Comcast get an HD signal from a local affiliate?

Do they get it over the air? Or off a sat? Is there an actual wire from station to Comcast? I know that sounds dumb but I'm curious.

2. Is Comcast supposed to add ESPN2HD this fall. I keep reading posts on other sites that is going to happen. Has anyone heard any other rumors or fact about this?
post #1015 of 11909 Old 09-20-2005, 11:51 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

From Ann Arbor, I receive all of the Toledo HD stations just fine. I have two antennas mounted in the attic, with one pointed towards Toledo. Hey, I'm a fan of the Cleveland Pro Sports teams and a Buckeyes fan , thus the requirement for the Toledo feed.

If you require a permanent installation, I would suggest pointing an antenna towards Toledo. Antennaweb.org would be a good place start when attempting to determine exactly which way to point your antenna. Be sure to click the link for the street level map and look for the station(s) you are trying to pull in.
post #1016 of 11909 Old 09-21-2005, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator

Dolby Digitla 5.1 on WDIV-DT is "coming soon."

post #1017 of 11909 Old 09-21-2005, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post

It is all about the color. I found that ISF calibration turned what I consider "electric orange" into various shades of pink and white and red for caucasions. You can see the difference twixt Mexican, East Indian and Mid Eastern nationalities. Everything is more natural. You should see V.J. Singh (the golfer) as the brownest man I have ever seen. (not black).
I think the SD looks better after turning down the "edge enhancements."
It took 4 or 5 hours. Blackened windows and used computer equipment to find the right white scale.
I did not get another quote for price. Seemed to be in the price range that was bandied about the net.

Have you (or anybody else here on the forum) ever tried the Avia Essentials "Do it yourself" DVD? Supposedly the DVD can help you calibrate it yourself.
post #1018 of 11909 Old 09-21-2005, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Dolby Digitla 5.1 on WDIV-DT is "coming soon."

Good news DrDon! I always wondered what happened with them because they did have it initially but were having a lot of problems with it.
post #1019 of 11909 Old 09-21-2005, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJburt View Post

Good news DrDon! I always wondered what happened with them because they did have it initially but were having a lot of problems with it.

As I understand it, this is all new stuff. They also may - and I stress "MAY" - work on strangling Weather Plus a little more during live HD programming. 16Mbs just isn't enough.

post #1020 of 11909 Old 09-21-2005, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proc View Post

I have finally got my OTA anteanna (Winegard SS-1000) working with my D* HD-10. KenH suggested getting a 4-bay bow tie, which I think I just may end up doing.

Question though...does anybody have OTA reception issues with certain channels here in Detroit? The only one I have a problem locking into is Channel 62. The rest I am getting in the upper 70s to up near 100% percent quality.

Got the same antenna, and same problem. No CBS with the SS-1000, unless I turn it far enough west that I lose 2 other stations...
I'm going to try the 4 bay next.....
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page