1Likes

post #11131 of 11837 Old 04-20-2012, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsscpu View Post

OTA in S.E. Michigan/S.W. Ontario is actually really interesting right now. All of the following are on the go and when it happens, no one knows:

WUDT moving from RF 8 to RF 23;
W38DH from Toledo going live digital on RF 23 and if that will cause problems with WUDT;

Not likely to cause problems to each other 90+% of the time (though they may mess each other up in a good tropo opening, it would only likely affect viewers using very sensitive systems, anyway)

These will both be low-power stations, and W38DH is on a short tower to boot. It's nothing like what would happen if, say, someone were to light up a full power channel 11 from Southfield. W38DH used to take a hit at the slightest sign of tropo back when WADL, analog 38, full-power (in fact, maximum power 5MW) was still on the air. A ValueVision LPTV in the Detroit area on channel 36 got clobbered by WUPW and did not last long (this was about 1990 or so).

At any rate, how many people are going to complain about interference between an HSN and a Daystar? :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11132 of 11837 Old 04-21-2012, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

No, but it drives me nuts that I have to switch back and forth between audio inputs for those two channels.....

FWIW, the 5.1 audio on last night's game rendered properly on FSD via DirecTV while FSD via Brighthouse was as messed up as stated via Comcast.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #11133 of 11837 Old 04-26-2012, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got one for you. I currently live in Holly, MI which is on the outskirts, so an outdoor antenna is a must. My current setup does pretty well for me.

In the next few months, I plan on buying a house in the Berkley, MI area. I know that area is pretty much within walking distance of many of the local signals. TV Fool for the zip code is attached. What is the likelihood of getting a solid signal of the major networks in the area with an indoor antenna. Is multipath a major issue (beyond what is encountered inside a house)?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...40339f5039dd9a
post #11134 of 11837 Old 04-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

You're just going to have to try and see. I honestly think you'll do fine. The only bugaboo I can think of is bounce from Towne Center (and that's just because they're close to WJBK and WXYZ and ghost rather bad close-in). Certainly, you'll get reflections from other structures, but - as I said - try it and see. Start cheap and keep receipts. Look around at other houses where you plan to buy. If you don't see ANY outdoor aluminum, it's a good sign. The neighborhoods in Ferndale aren't terribly far, but neighborhoods around the station where I work are full of rooftop antennas.

Then again, they might have to do that to reject WOMC. 200kw of FM fun could bother the front end of just about any tuner, I'd think.

post #11135 of 11837 Old 04-26-2012, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the input. I've been cruisin' the neighborhoods while 'window shopping' as it were, and I see hardly any antennas whatsoever. Figured many of them had cable. I saw one house in the area with a smallish CM Crossfire antenna and rotor, but it looked like a legacy installation.

Long term plan is to put up a modest size full band outdoor antenna with rotor. Full band? Yep, in case somebody in their infinite wisdom (read FCC) decides to push one of the local signals to VHF-lo. No preamp as that would likely overload with the local strong signals. Figured I'd possibly have to install an FM trap or two with all that FM RF goodness in the area!
post #11136 of 11837 Old 04-27-2012, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozzmonster View Post

I've got one for you. I currently live in Holly, MI which is on the outskirts, so an outdoor antenna is a must. My current setup does pretty well for me.

In the next few months, I plan on buying a house in the Berkley, MI area. I know that area is pretty much within walking distance of many of the local signals. TV Fool for the zip code is attached. What is the likelihood of getting a solid signal of the major networks in the area with an indoor antenna. Is multipath a major issue (beyond what is encountered inside a house)?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...40339f5039dd9a

As you may have guessed, you won't have a problem with weak signals for any of the local stations on the Detroit side of the border. However, whenever the subject of using an indoor antenna for DTV comes up, you have to worry about the multipath.

If you have your indoor antenna near the southwest corner of your house, and your new house has wood or vinyl siding, you should do just fine with any indoor antenna. If you have aluminum, brick or concrete, you might do OK with an indoor antenna in a large southwest-facing window, but that may even fail - try an attic antenna if your roof is not metal, or a small outdoor antenna, especially if you are planning on seeing CBC, TVO or CMU.

DrDon's concern about overload from WOMC (and other FM stations transmitting in SE Oakland Co,) is a valid one. Resist the temptation to extend the rabbit ear poles all the way out, keep them short to reduce the strength of FM stations at the TV input, and forget about using an amplified antenna, which is unnecessary and could only cause frustration in a place like Berkley.

Good luck and feel free to PM me with any questions.
post #11137 of 11837 Old 04-29-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Well, my winegard ss3000 is an amazing indoor antenna-- for every room BUT the living room! The living room has major issues despite the huge door wall facing east.

I'm not sure what else to try. The winegard is considered the best available by many. It seems like an outdoor antenna may be my only solution but I just can't figure out a way to get a line onto my balcony! I mean, my TV sits right in front of the glass so you'd think signal wouldn't be an issue... An out door would be ideal and then I could tap into the existing rg6 distribution in the apartment so I wouldn't need a separate antenna for each room. (We have a 1000 sq ft two bedroom apartment with FOUR TVs! Lol!)

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #11138 of 11837 Old 04-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

If it works from another room, then just snake a cable from there. Or if you have attic access, that's an option. Heck, I've LEFT antennas rigged up in attics of apartments I've lived in. Snaked the cable into an existing cable tv outlet so that when I moved, a simple change of the faceplate removed all the evidence anyone was ever going to see.

Of course, I'm assuming apartment since you're trying to get to the balcony (they do make a flat coax you can put under the door tracks or behind the jamb).

If it's a house, then you can run line wherever you need to. And mounting the kind of small combo you need for this town isn't tough at all. Ladder. Lag bolts. Drill. Caulk. Paint (maybe).

post #11139 of 11837 Old 05-01-2012, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any word on WPXD? Have they abandoned RF 50 in Southfield?
post #11140 of 11837 Old 05-01-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Any word on WPXD? Have they abandoned RF 50 in Southfield?

It takes money to move. Bankruptcy is hard.

They have until this October to accomplish the move per their CP.
post #11141 of 11837 Old 05-01-2012, 03:57 PM

Well we know they moved and it was live for a bit... what happened then who knows...
post #11142 of 11837 Old 05-01-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Any word on WPXD?

Nope.

Quote:

Have they abandoned RF 50 in Southfield?

I'm pretty sure it's not that simple.

I'll call again.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #11143 of 11837 Old 05-03-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:

I'll call again.

Good luck. Let us know!
post #11144 of 11837 Old 05-04-2012, 07:10 AM

WUDT is now live on RF23.

Quote:

WHATS LEFT
WHNE moving from Flint on RF 26 to Oak Park on RF 20;
W38DH from Toledo going live digital on RF 23 (and if that will cause problems with WUDT);
WPXD moving from Chelsea on RF 31 to Southfield on RF 50 (and seriously, what is taking this so long from happening, they were testing it months ago and supposed to be live before the end of 2011, sigh);
W48AV is to be sold once WPXD's new signal goes live;
W33BY will need to make a transition to digital or be forced off air;
CBEFT on RF 35 will be going off-air at the end of July, unless it somehow gets saved again by the CBC (and considering the strong signal this station has, I am slightly surprised that it will actually go dark). CBLFT-10 on RF 48 and CBLN-3 on RF 55 in Chatham and CBLN-2 on RF 34 and CBLFT-17 on RF 17 in Sarnia face the same fate, potentially freeing up some frequency room;
CKCO-3 on RF 42 in Sarnia is rumored to transition at some point this summer to digital; and
CFTV will be going on-air digital in Leamington on RF 34 (with RF 34 in Sarnia gone and no co-channel issue on RF 35, I wonder if they see a chance to boost power to serve more of the region).

post #11145 of 11837 Old 05-04-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Good luck. Let us know!

Got VM, left a message.

post #11146 of 11837 Old 05-05-2012, 04:47 AM

Any updates on Comcast SEMI getting rid of all the analogs so that they can add more HD?. Would love to see Fox soccer and Gol TV in HD (then I can get rid of Direct). Also when are they going to reorganize their channel numbers so that programming is grouped logically.

Pete
post #11147 of 11837 Old 05-05-2012, 08:16 AM

Anyone else notice that 38-1 upgraded to 1080i HD, but none of the programming or commercials are being broadcast in HD???
post #11148 of 11837 Old 05-05-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otafreak View Post

Anyone else notice that 38-1 upgraded to 1080i HD, but none of the programming or commercials are being broadcast in HD???

Yea, all they have done is stretch the picture to fit. I don't like the flat head look and don't watch 38-1 anymore.
post #11149 of 11837 Old 05-07-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otafreak View Post

Ya I see it as well. They also have 38-4 as a SD repeat of 38-1.

On a different topic, can anyone confirm if WLPC on RF 40 is having problems? I can't seem to get a lock.

Ken H, any luck with WPXD getting back to you?
post #11150 of 11837 Old 05-09-2012, 06:57 AM

With the recent announcement of the new MundoFox affiliates coming online this Sept./Oct. just was wondering what the likelihood of Fox 2 using their secondary channel to broadcast the affiliate feed of MundoFox? Or would the upcoming sale of the low powered channel 48 make a better fit? Or would Univision make a better suitor? Both companies seem to have deep pockets and has a small latin population to support OTA spanish programming. Just curious if anyone believes that spanish programming could be making a return to the Detroit airwaves.
post #11151 of 11837 Old 05-09-2012, 07:28 AM

It is worth nothing that there is already Spanish programming in Detroit from W47DL-D (47.5 Enlace). Now, if it is good Spanish programming or not isn't for me to say.

As for speculation as to where the station possibly lands in this market, if anywhere, so far one would have to say baesd on the small list of affiliates (KWHY-TV/L.A.,WJAN-CD/Miami, and KGMC/Fresno) that are confirmed that it appears they are ideally trying to be on main stations and not subs, likely so they can secure BDU carriage. We know W48AV is planned to go for sale if WPXD ever moved to RF 50 from Southfield, so they obviously could be a prime candidate and the signal covers the downtown core. I would also argue W33BY is prime for sale but they need lots of station upgrades. Keep an eye on WHNE, which is moving its transmitter to the market from Flint. They could work since they likely don't have to be purchased and could just be an affiliate. But I bet you we will know more once the upfront's happen this month, since potential advertisers will want to know how many markets will have eyes.

I would also argue that we aren't likely going to have any affiliate swaps. WJBK, WKBD, WWJ, WADL, WDWO, WUDT, WPXD, WLPC, W47DL are all O&O. That leaves WDIV, WXYZ, WMYD and WTVS. WDIV and WXYZ aren't going to lose one of the big 4 for a Spanish startup. WTVS is PBS and does well, and I can't see WMYD giving up what it has now for something that is unproven.

In regards to WJBK possibly adding it as a sub. Like I said, based on my gut, I don't foresee it but since it is an O&O and Fox owns 50% of the new network, I guess it is possible but so far there has been no indication of it happening in any other O&O. Plus, with all the sports WJBK airs, I would rather not see a degradation of the PQ.

Finally, would it work in Detroit? Not sure. Univsion as a local station in the maarket instead of a national didn't pan out and there is a reason for that. If it had worked, it would never have gone to Daystar.
post #11152 of 11837 Old 05-09-2012, 08:27 AM

Dsccpu, thanks for the insightful analysis. I have heard Fox is bent on 75% US coverage by their start date...and since Detroit is still a Top 20 market and currently without a Univision affiliate, I figure it would make sense to set up shop here. And if MundoFox makes in-roads here, could that be the start of a territorial battle? Anyways, the next couple of months should be interesting regarding OTA in the D. Just curious on the old WUDT...wasn't it just a part of bundled package that Daystar bought in an auction? I hadn't heard that Univision had difficulty making inroads here.
post #11153 of 11837 Old 05-09-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

In regards to WJBK possibly adding it as a sub. Like I said, based on my gut, I don't foresee it but since it is an O&O and Fox owns 50% of the new network, I guess it is possible but so far there has been no indication of it happening in any other O&O. Plus, with all the sports WJBK airs, I would rather not see a degradation of the PQ.

The FOX HD distribution system (aka Splicer) is unique compared to other broadcast networks, and was designed to accommodate the addition of an SD subchannel without affecting HD image quality.

Because of this, it's been speculated for years that FOX would add a network subchannel at some point in time. The only info I've ever heard about FOX and a subchannel was regarding a possible news channel, but that was quite some time ago.

post #11154 of 11837 Old 05-09-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

The FOX HD distribution system (aka Splicer) is unique compared to other broadcast networks, and was designed to accommodate the addition of an SD subchannel without affecting HD image quality.

Technically yes, but it's because the bits for the SD subchannel are taken out whether there is one or not. I know you knew that, just wanted to make it crystal clear.
post #11155 of 11837 Old 05-09-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post

Technically yes, but it's because the bits for the SD subchannel are taken out whether there is one or not. I know you knew that, just wanted to make it crystal clear.

Correct.

post #11156 of 11837 Old 05-14-2012, 07:13 PM

In June the following channels will go live on Charter throughout the state, finally bringing them to 100 HD channels here. Expect more to come by the end of summer as well as moving to the new categorized channel lineup Charter has.

QVC-HD
HSN-HD
G4 HD
GSN HD
MTV2 HD
TV LAND HD
Hallmark Movie Channel HD
HBO 2 HD
HBO Signature HD
HBO Family HD
More Max HD
Action Max HD
Showtime Too HD
SHO Showcase HD
Showtime Extreme HD
Movie Channel Xtra HD
TMC HD
Starz in Black HD
Starz Kids & Family HD
Encore HD
post #11157 of 11837 Old 05-19-2012, 08:00 AM

Ok, I was thinking about WPXD's situation. We know that back in January they filed a displacement application to move W48AV from RF48 to RF25 and to change both the contour and transmitter location. Is it possible that it has been decided they want to use RF25 to broadcast in the Detroit DMA compared to RF50 and they are just waiting on the status of this application?
post #11158 of 11837 Old 05-19-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ken H, any luck with WPXD getting back to you?

No reply as yet.

post #11159 of 11837 Old 05-21-2012, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Really annoyed at WDIV for bailing on the post-race Preakness coverage. I had to run the antenna around to Toledo to find out how the rest of the field finished, watch replays and what-have-you. They didn't even wait for a break. Soon as the track reporter said, "Back to you, Tom," they were in to local news.

post #11160 of 11837 Old 05-23-2012, 04:53 PM

Looks as if W47DL-D is being sold

see: https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_...um=1&exhcnum=1
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page