2Likes

post #11821 of 11863 Old 06-22-2014, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsthemultipath! View Post
They share the same tower. Wonder if they suffered a power outage because of the thunderstorms?

It is not unusual to see stations in other markets on humid summer nights. It's a phenomenon called "tropospheric refraction".
Good point. I think it was probably some sort of maintenance - they were back up later in the morning. No storms to think of - I live an easy bicycle ride away from the tower. I love the humid summer nights for the DXing opportunities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11822 of 11863 Old 06-25-2014, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This may be a bit off topic but I hope someone can help. I've dropped Comcast TV for the summer and am using a media center pc connected to my Vizio 42" HDTV. Most of the time everything works great be every so often I get some really strange stuff.

(I usually run WMC on the PC for my recording and viewing needs but the strange stuff occurs with HDHomeRun Quick TV and MediaPortal as well.

I have an OTA antenna feeding a one to four powered amp with three of the outputs feeding ATSC tuners and the fourth properly terminated.

The strange stuff occurs most often when I have two of the tuners set to the same fairly weak channel, TVO 32 for example. I get a noise free picture on both the PC and the TV until I select the HDMI input the PC is connected to and the picture sync's.

Once this occurs the pic gets very noisy, even sometimes freezes on both the PC and the Vizio on even when using the "TV" input! Strange enough by itself, but the really strange part is that often the pic will return to noise free if I change my PC's desktop background to a less "busy" image or make the TV window on the PC full screen.

If I'm recording while this is going on the recording will be noisy also.

Will having two tuners tuned to the same channel diminish that channel's signal?

Anyone have any ideas what's going on here?

Dave
on Comcast Cable of Canton, MI
post #11823 of 11863 Old 06-26-2014, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Got any clips of the noise? What's your graphics card and how much memory does it have? It SOUNDS like what happens when you overtax "integrated graphics." But I'd have to see it. However, if you're only experiencing that on weak stations, it kind of rules that out.

Try the same question over in HTPC. If you have a clip, include that.

Or blame it on the Canadians.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #11824 of 11863 Old 06-26-2014, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by :
Will having two tuners tuned to the same channel diminish that channel's signal?
The short answer is "no, but".

I'd be suspicious of some weird combination that is causing RFI back to the antenna, or ingress into the cabling or amp. The elevated ingress noise is masking the desired, weak signal.
post #11825 of 11863 Old 06-26-2014, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozzmonster View Post
Good point. I think it was probably some sort of maintenance - they were back up later in the morning. No storms to think of - I live an easy bicycle ride away from the tower. I love the humid summer nights for the DXing opportunities.
They are down again this morning. They all have individual generators, so I don't think that they all would be affected by a power outage. I suspect maintenance at the top of the tower having people up there mandating shutting the transmitters off. Or are they adding another station to the area- that low power one that people have been mentioning?
post #11826 of 11863 Old 06-26-2014, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Got any clips of the noise? What's your graphics card and how much memory does it have?......

Probably I shouldn't have called it "noise", it's typical of dropouts and block errors associated with weak signals.

I'll try to post a clip tonight - both here and on HTPC.

I've ruled out the graphics card as the source since the noise also appears on the Vizio TV input which doesn't come from the graphics card and it also corrupts the recorded file of the program.

I'd love to blame it on the Canadians but it seems to occur on other channels at times, eh? (A few months ago you may recall I questioned the signal strength on 9 and 32, now I think the real problem seen then is what we're talking about here.)

Thanks for any and all replies.

Late breaking news! Seems I'll be so busy for the next two weeks I won't have time pursue this issue until the middle of July.

Dave
on Comcast Cable of Canton, MI

Last edited by Northville Dave; 06-26-2014 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Putting issue on hold.
post #11827 of 11863 Old 06-26-2014, 07:58 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
They are down again this morning. They all have individual generators, so I don't think that they all would be affected by a power outage. I suspect maintenance at the top of the tower having people up there mandating shutting the transmitters off. Or are they adding another station to the area- that low power one that people have been mentioning?
DPTV/WTVS has a note up on their web page: "SERVICE ALERT: Due to scheduled maintenance DPTV is off the air for part of our service area until approximately 11:00am." So I suspect you are right.
post #11828 of 11863 Old 06-26-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yimitz View Post
DPTV/WTVS has a note up on their web page: "SERVICE ALERT: Due to scheduled maintenance DPTV is off the air for part of our service area until approximately 11:00am." So I suspect you are right.
I'm just wondering why they are doing this work at 8 in the morning instead of overnight. Yes, I know it is lighter during the day, but that is a higher viewing time. I know they can and have done work during the night before.
post #11829 of 11863 Old 06-26-2014, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Forgot to ask while I was chatting with TV, today.

But if it's tower work, then everyone's going to backup antennas (if they have them) or greatly reduced power while the crew's on the stick. Can't do that at night. Again, don't know for sure.

post #11830 of 11863 Old 06-26-2014, 01:04 PM

Hi Doc, as I remember (and things could have changed), 20 and 56 don't have backup antennas. Don't remember about 62, but they probably do. Anyway, back in the day when 56's analog transmission line died, they were only allowed by the tower owner to work at the top at night to not take the other stations down during peak hours. I am not sure what is different now, except maybe that many of the channels have a fiber line to some cable companies and they view that as enough coverage. But as you know, not everyone gets their channels that way.
post #11831 of 11863 Old 06-26-2014, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Right you are. Pretty sure 62 has a backup. We all do. I'd ask, tomorrow, but I'm going to the wrong station for that (subtle plug for my "Live in the D" regular Friday appearance).

post #11832 of 11863 Old 06-26-2014, 01:58 PM

Smile

Quote:
Right you are. Pretty sure 62 has a backup. We all do. I'd ask, tomorrow, but I'm going to the wrong station for that (subtle plug for my "Live in the D" regular Friday appearance).
I guess inquiring minds just want to know why the stations have been shut down at least twice now.
post #11833 of 11863 Old 07-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

C'MON BRIGHTHOUSE

Came home from vacation to find my CableCARD devices de-authorized for MLB-EI. Happens first of every month. I always have to call twice, then someone finally fixes it. First of May, First of June, Middle of June and now. BUT... Today, I'm told that it's "company policy" not to support sports packages on CableCARD devices. Which, IIRC, is against FCC rules. But they "disagree."

This on a baseball season I've paid twice for. Last year's "Half-year-plus-next-year" price wasn't supported by Brighthouse, so I threw away $150. Paid again, this year and haven't been able to watch squat.

Sorry. Had to rant.

post #11834 of 11863 Old 07-07-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
C'MON BRIGHTHOUSE

Came home from vacation to find my CableCARD devices de-authorized for MLB-EI. Happens first of every month. I always have to call twice, then someone finally fixes it. First of May, First of June, Middle of June and now. BUT... Today, I'm told that it's "company policy" not to support sports packages on CableCARD devices. Which, IIRC, is against FCC rules. But they "disagree."

This on a baseball season I've paid twice for. Last year's "Half-year-plus-next-year" price wasn't supported by Brighthouse, so I threw away $150. Paid again, this year and haven't been able to watch squat.

Sorry. Had to rant.
file a complaint with FCC

Sue for monetary damages...definitely "pain and suffering". Or threaten to and see if you can get a few months of Cable for free. I am sure you are a well connected guy
post #11835 of 11863 Old 07-07-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
C'MON BRIGHTHOUSE

Sorry. Had to rant.
I suggest letting the BHN tech support person check this out. He's pretty good at getting odd stuff like this fixed.

https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/bhousedirect
post #11836 of 11863 Old 07-07-2014, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

I'm ahead of you both. Complaint filed, BHNTechXpert contacted.
BHN left a voicemail late last night saying I'd be contacted today. But they always say that and it never happens.

FIVE techs and a week later and it's all back on with a bill credit. We'll see what happens first of August.
billmich likes this.

Last edited by DrDon; 07-09-2014 at 05:12 PM.
post #11837 of 11863 Old 07-22-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Such a quiet thread...so sad now.

Comcast will be adding a NEW HD channel. The SEC network when it launches in August

http://corporate.comcast.com/news-in...omcast-xfinity

They added a bunch of regional sports networks a couple of years ago, but not any recently. I am curious why they don't put ALL their Comcast sportsnets on the sports tier.
post #11838 of 11863 Old 08-03-2014, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Getting tired of Uverse with their picture quality. Does anyone have info for the Comcast direct sales reps that give you that awesome 2 year deal
post #11839 of 11863 Old 08-04-2014, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samk1 View Post
Getting tired of Uverse with their picture quality. Does anyone have info for the Comcast direct sales reps that give you that awesome 2 year deal
If you have WOW in the area, check them out as well. I switched from Comcast over a year ago. Very happy with their whole home DVR (6 HD channels). Their Internet has been less reliable, but not by much. 3 interruptions in service in the 16 months. The longest was a day. Even knowing that. I'd still switch.
I also love the way their digital boxes are DLNA compliant which lets me stream seamlessly from my main PC to any TV in the house.
I've been very satisfied with them.
post #11840 of 11863 Old 08-04-2014, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samk1 View Post
What are you getting tired with regarding U-Verse PQ? Curious because I've had them for a little over a year and haven't noticed any degradation.

Xbox Live:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Origin ID: oktoberrust11

post #11841 of 11863 Old 08-12-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

anyone know what channel numbers the SEC network will be on Comcast....or Brighthouse?

I know the network launches on Thursday 8/14/14
post #11842 of 11863 Old 08-14-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
anyone know what channel numbers the SEC network will be on Comcast....or Brighthouse?

Not sure about Comcast, but the Bright House channel numbers are 166 and 366 (SD and HD). Right now they're just showing a title card; I think the actual programming doesn't start until 6:00pm today.

Edit: The overflow channel is up too, channels 865/866 SD/HD.

Last edited by yimitz; 08-14-2014 at 12:36 PM.
post #11843 of 11863 Old 08-14-2014, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post

Comcast it looks like 700/1738 HD and 742 SD.
rreini likes this.
post #11844 of 11863 Old 08-16-2014, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Can anyone tell me if BHN carried/is carrying the NFL RedZone preseason preview?

post #11845 of 11863 Old 08-28-2014, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Comcast outage - scope?

Comcast service of all types has been out in my part of Westland since Tuesday evening (26th). I'm trying to determine how widespread it is, so who else is having problems?

Roger in DTW
post #11846 of 11863 Old 08-28-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreini View Post
Comcast service of all types has been out in my part of Westland since Tuesday evening (26th). I'm trying to determine how widespread it is, so who else is having problems?
I know Brighthouse had Internet, VOD and phone issues starting overnight Tuesday night also. I don't know if it is fully resolved yet either.
post #11847 of 11863 Old 08-28-2014, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
I know Brighthouse had Internet, VOD and phone issues starting overnight Tuesday night also. I don't know if it is fully resolved yet either.
Calling Comcast, I was told that a facility had flooded, don't know where. Estimated that service should be back by 6:30. We'll see...

Roger in DTW
post #11848 of 11863 Old 08-28-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Calling Comcast, I was told that a facility had flooded, don't know where. Estimated that service should be back by 6:30. We'll see...
I think Brighthouse's issue was related to a nationwide Time-Warner Internet problem. Most of the people were back within a few hours, but some people still had issues last evening. I don't know if they still have problems today.

Last edited by Gary S; 08-28-2014 at 12:07 PM.
post #11849 of 11863 Old 08-28-2014, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Everything was back as of 4 PM.

Roger in DTW
post #11850 of 11863 Old 08-30-2014, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Just noticed Brighthouse is carrying Time Warner Sportsnet LA. I'm thrilled to know my cable dollar is going to help Time Warner defray the costs of an incredibly expensive regional sports deal I care nothing about.

Of course, TW negotiates for BHN, so the carriage isn't a surprise, though I'd have to think it's a bit of a waste in Detroit. Still, I'm sure they're happily counting Detroit subscribers when they're selling it to advertisers.

I do need to surf into the 600s more often. Finding all kinds of things I had no idea BHN was carrying. Serves me right for using paperless billing. I miss ALL the memos.

Last edited by DrDon; 08-30-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page