2Likes
post #11911 of 11925 Old 01-06-2015, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I have a true HD OTA question/plead for help to the group

I have a Panasonic plasma (TC-P65VT50) and A while back I hooked up a small powered indoor antenna and was able to watch all the Detroit area OTA HD channels and sub-channels. A couple of weeks ago I decided to scan around again and I could not get anything for WJBK (FOX) . The signal strength was only like 30% and pixellation. So I decided to get my antenna out on the 'preferred location' and do a scan. Everything has scanned in well EXCEPT WJBK.(Which failed to register AT ALL)

The 'issue' that I am having is that even when I am trying to manually add the station, I run into a conundrum.
If I wish to add WKBD , I can manually add channel 14 and viola, i have it added...BUT

With WJBK's actual channel number being channel 7. When I try to punch anything in to channel 7, I get WXYZ (PSIP their actual channel of 45 to virtual channel 7)

1) Is WJBK running OTA a lower power than a few months ago? ( I am by Joy and Newburgh, certainly close enough by their tower I would surmise)
2) Any idea of how to get around this "channel 7" issue that I am having?
3) I may actually have to get a LONG RG-6 cable and do a new scan with the antenna right by a window in my place (apartment) that faces north (and a little east).

Any assistance and information is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11912 of 11925 Old 01-06-2015, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post

I have a Panasonic plasma (TC-P65VT50) and A while back I hooked up a small powered indoor antenna and was able to watch all the Detroit area OTA HD channels and sub-channels. A couple of weeks ago I decided to scan around again and I could not get anything for WJBK (FOX) . The signal strength was only like 30% and pixellation. So I decided to get my antenna out on the 'preferred location' and do a scan. Everything has scanned in well EXCEPT WJBK.(Which failed to register AT ALL)

The 'issue' that I am having is that even when I am trying to manually add the station, I run into a conundrum.
If I wish to add WKBD , I can manually add channel 14 and viola, i have it added...BUT

With WJBK's actual channel number being channel 7. When I try to punch anything in to channel 7, I get WXYZ (PSIP their actual channel of 45 to virtual channel 7)

1) Is WJBK running OTA a lower power than a few months ago? ( I am by Joy and Newburgh, certainly close enough by their tower I would surmise)
3) I may actually have to get a LONG RG-6 cable and do a new scan with the antenna right by a window in my place (apartment) that faces north (and a little east).

The indoor antenna is VHF/UHF, correct? If it is UHF only, then that can explain difficulties in receiving WJBK. I haven't noticed any major issues receiving 'JBK with my setup in recent months.

I have a feeling that your Panasonic tuner can't disable PSIP, so there may be no way to tell it to use actual channel numbers (my old DTC-100 could do that, but I'm sure I don't have it anymore).

Roger in DTW
post #11913 of 11925 Old 01-06-2015, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 317
I don't recall the model of the television, but the last time I saw this come up, I believe the suggestion was to delete WXYZ, then the TV will "find" WJBK when you manually tune 7, then you go back and re-add WXYZ using the actual channel.

If you can't individually delete, then do a rescan with no antenna attached (which will erase everything) and start manually adding stuff. I'd start with WJBK only until you get the antenna positioned right for it, THEN see about adding all the others.

Though, in all honesty, you need to make sure you have a combo antenna before you do anything.

How long ago was "a while back?" Before analog cutoff?

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #11914 of 11925 Old 01-06-2015, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
I don't recall the model of the television, but the last time I saw this come up, I believe the suggestion was to delete WXYZ, then the TV will "find" WJBK when you manually tune 7, then you go back and re-add WXYZ using the actual channel.

If you can't individually delete, then do a rescan with no antenna attached (which will erase everything) and start manually adding stuff. I'd start with WJBK only until you get the antenna positioned right for it, THEN see about adding all the others.

Though, in all honesty, you need to make sure you have a combo antenna before you do anything.

How long ago was "a while back?" Before analog cutoff?
LMAO...a while back was in August; thanks for the heads up about a blank scan.
My antenna is a UHF/VHF combo antenna, amplified and all
post #11915 of 11925 Old 01-06-2015, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post

Not sure how much this helps with your #1 . I live near you (just north of Joy, about half-way between Newburgh and Wayne Roads). On the small TV here in my office (connected to rabbit ears sitting on top of my computer desk), I haven't seen any difference in WJBK's signal strength lately. The TV has only a 4-bar signal strength indicator, and it's normally in the 4 position, every now and then dropping to 3. No pixellation at all. So I don't think they've done anything to their signal.
post #11916 of 11925 Old 01-06-2015, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

August? You had leaves to attenuate reflected signals (Multipath). My advice is to toss that antenna and put something in the attic or the roof. But that's me.

post #11917 of 11925 Old 01-07-2015, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
August? You had leaves to attenuate reflected signals (Multipath). My advice is to toss that antenna and put something in the attic or the roof. But that's me.
I am in an apartment, no attic or roof access for me; but last night I did a re-scan and everything is working great now
post #11918 of 11925 Old Yesterday, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Antenna and Tuner for Brownstown in Attic

Hello, I live in Brownstown between West Rd and Vanhorn Rd, and between Arsenal Rd and Inkster Rd. It's the DelWebb community named Bridgewater.
Is this location ok for Detroit area HD with attic antenna?
I have a single story home wood construction with vinyl siding, asphalt shingles, and no foil backed insulation, it's blown in.
I would like to install an antenna in the attic, recommendations please!
Also, stand alone Tuner recommendations, don't need to record, just looking for high quality.
Thanks,

-Tom
post #11919 of 11925 Old Yesterday, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom899 View Post
Hello, I live in Brownstown between West Rd and Vanhorn Rd, and between Arsenal Rd and Inkster Rd. It's the DelWebb community named Bridgewater.
Is this location ok for Detroit area HD with attic antenna?
I have a single story home wood construction with vinyl siding, asphalt shingles, and no foil backed insulation, it's blown in.
I would like to install an antenna in the attic, recommendations please!
Also, stand alone Tuner recommendations, don't need to record, just looking for high quality.
Thanks,
I live in Clarkston so we may be about the same distance from the sources.
I dont have an attic antenna but I put this on my Pool house and it is small and works very well.You may be able to use it in your attic.Read the reviews on Amazon,
Winegard FL6550A FlatWave Air Outdoor HDTV Antenna
post #11920 of 11925 Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Here's your TVFool plot. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c15cdfdb6ee2b

Got a lot of big planes coming and going not too far from you. Could be an issue for an omni-directional antenna. So could Toledo's signals.

I'd start with a small combo such as the RCA ANT751 pointed due north and see how that works for you.

Last edited by DrDon; Today at 08:39 AM. Reason: Embarrassing spelling error
post #11921 of 11925 Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Here's your TVFool plot. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c15cdfdb6ee2b

Got a lot of big planes coming and going not to far from you. Could be an issue for an omni-directional antenna. So could Toledo's signals.

I'd start with a small combo such as the RCA ANT751 pointed due north and see how that works for you.
Thanks, I ordered one of these today. The planes are actually a good 5-10 miles west of me. I rarely see any above.
Looking forward to hooking it up. I have a projector and large screen. The Comcast compressed signal is not too bad but looking for better and hope this is it.

-Tom
post #11922 of 11925 Old Yesterday, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpopcorn View Post
I live in Clarkston so we may be about the same distance from the sources.
I dont have an attic antenna but I put this on my Pool house and it is small and works very well.You may be able to use it in your attic.Read the reviews on Amazon,
Winegard FL6550A FlatWave Air Outdoor HDTV Antenna
Thanks!

-Tom
post #11923 of 11925 Old Today, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Comcast compressed signal is not too bad but looking for better and hope this is it.
Unless something has changed recently, Comcast does not add any compression to the local channels. What you get from them is the same as OTA.
post #11924 of 11925 Unread Today, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post
Unless something has changed recently, Comcast does not add any compression to the local channels. What you get from them is the same as OTA.
I read an article by a Comcast representative that they try not to compress more than 2 to 1 where as some other company's do 3 to 1. They run on a 875mhz system and there is only so much bandwidth for all the channels. It's not bad but he says it is there. If they did not compress they would have to drop channels. Again, I'm only quoting and reading. Try a Google search for Comcast and compression. I would actually like to be proven wrong. Also, I suppose different parts of the country do different things.

-Tom
post #11925 of 11925 Unread Today, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I read an article by a Comcast representative that they try not to compress more than 2 to 1 where as some other company's do 3 to 1.
2:1 isn't adding additional compression, because a QAM channel can fit exactly two 19Mbps ATSC channels. Which was my point, and what they do for local channels. For national channels, most of them are 3:1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page