post #1171 of 11836 Old 10-19-2005, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgdaes View Post

Fox imo has to be the most HD committed network. Im suprised that does not trickle down to the FSN's in larger media markets.

Actually, it does - just not in Detroit. FSN regional networks in NY, LA, MN, WI, FL, TX, AZ, and WA have all been doing HD for quite a while now. For some reason, even though we were early adopters of OTA DTV and HD around here, we're not getting the attention of the "home office" at FSN, and the local responsibles at FSND don't seem to place any urgency on getting up to speed. A pity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 11836 Old 10-19-2005, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMDMatt View Post

The Pistons will be covered in HD by WB 20 in 16 of the 28 games that they'll be carrying this season.

You know I wouldn't mind this if WDWB was able to time shift their programing in HD but from my point of view as a non-Pistons fan this stinks! When they did this last year I called them and asked if they couldn't give us the West Coast feed in HD at 11 PM but it fell on deaf ears. Perhaps we should take up a collection and buy them an HD TiVo so they could time shift the shows in HD.
post #1173 of 11836 Old 10-19-2005, 09:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMDMatt View Post

The Pistons will be covered in HD by WB 20 in 16 of the 28 games that they'll be carrying this season. WDIV will also be carrying 4 of their 7 games in HD. Add that to 6 TNT games, multiple ESPN games, that'll be about half of their regular season games in HD.

http://www.nba.com/pistons/news/tvschedule_050922.html

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but I about flipped out of my chair when I read it.

Is this HD Programming forum material?

News to me.
Great catch, and great news for local Pistons fans.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #1174 of 11836 Old 10-20-2005, 05:58 AM

I caught the Pistons preseason game last night-- for the first time on WB this year. Blaha mentioned the HD broadcasts quite a few times, apparently all home games on WB or WDIV will HD in a partnership with Sharp. Saturday's preseason game against the Heat will be the first.

Here's more:
http://www.nba.com/pistons/news/hidef_051019.html

Guess my antenna will finally be getting some use again!
post #1175 of 11836 Old 10-20-2005, 06:10 AM

I have a season pass for My Name is Earl and the Office set up for my DVR and for some reason neither of them recorded this week. Did WDIV pre empt these shows? Did anyone else have a problem with it?
post #1176 of 11836 Old 10-20-2005, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Good news to Pistons fans in the Detroit area:

source

Partnership with SHARP Provides Select Games in HDTV on WB20-TV and WDIV-TV4
It's a Hi-Def World and The Pistons Play a Part

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. --- In a partnership with SHARP, the Detroit Pistons will broadcast select games during the 2005-06 season in High-Definition television (HDTV), the technology that provides the sharpest, most life-like picture currently available in the industry.
Every home game broadcast on WB20-TV and WDIV-TV4, as well as the final home pre-season game, will be available in HDTV. The Pistons are the first team in the Detroit area to make a season-long commitment to televise locally produced games in HDTV.

We are thrilled to be able to offer selected games on free, over-the-air television in High-Definition, said Senior Vice President of Broadcasting Pete Skorich. The Hi-Def experience will allow Pistons fans, who have the technology, the absolute best viewing experience available.

The Pistons will broadcast 18 games in HDTV. The first game scheduled for HDTV broadcast will be Saturday, October 22 on WB20 at 7:30 p.m., a pre-season re-match of the 2005 Eastern Conference Finals between the Pistons and the Miami Heat.

Per the partnership agreement, SHARP will be designated as the Official High Definition Television of the Detroit Pistons and will receive television, radio and print spots promoting the HDTV broadcasts. SHARP will also provide the 42-inch AQUOS® Liquid Crystal Televisions in the new Sterling Bank & Trust Club and the newly constructed Vito Anthony Suites. SHARP will also have promotional space on the concourse during Pistons home games featuring the live feed of the Pistons game in HDTV.

Through our partnership with the Pistons, we are able to provide Detroit fans with a one of a kind viewing experience that is almost as good as being there, said Associate Vice President Andrew Kritzer of SHARP Electronics Corporation. HDTV is the highest quality technology on the market, and with SHARP's AQUOS® Liquid Crystal Televisions in The Palace, fans will be able to enjoy an ultimate level of participation in sports and technology.

High-definition television (HDTV) is a class of high-resolution digital television and provides 1080 lines of resolution. This resolution is compared to the 525 lines of resolution provided by a usual National Television Standards Committee (NTSC) analog television screen. The highest resolution HDTV format provides approximately 2.0 million pixels, compared to approximately 210,000 pixels provided by a standard analog television. HDTV requires new production and transmission equipment at the stations as well as new equipment for reception by the consumer. The first HDTV station was WRAL-TV in Raleigh, NC. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has mandated that all stations be capable of broadcasting digital television by 2007.

This relationship has been a win/win situation for the station, the team and most importantly, the fans, said Sarah Norat-Phillips, president and general manager of WB20-TV. This season's foray into High Definition broadcasting of Pistons games, using our Digital Channel 21, ushers in a whole new era for Detroit sports on television, one that we are proud to deliver and one that we already know the fans will really love.

Rock Financial, Michigan's largest mortgage company, is the presenting sponsor for the Detroit Pistons. For more information about Rock Financial, please visit www.rockfinancial.com. For information regarding Sharp's line of AQUOS® Liquid Crystal Televisions, please visit www.sharpusa.com. For more information regarding Detroit Pistons HDTV broadcasts or to purchase tickets to any upcoming Pistons game, please contact The Palace at (248) 377-0100 or log on to www.pistons.com.

Walter
post #1177 of 11836 Old 10-20-2005, 02:39 PM

The Office recorded fine for me (on the HD Tivo).
post #1178 of 11836 Old 10-21-2005, 08:08 AM

I heard this announcement too and it is great news....HOWEVER Brighthouse and Comcast cable don't offer WB's HD channel....and my TV can't do OTA without the additional hardware.
post #1179 of 11836 Old 10-21-2005, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Topics merged.

post #1180 of 11836 Old 10-21-2005, 10:28 AM

Hello,

I have a question for all of you using Brighthouse. I live in Novi and currently have D*. I am picking up a new plasma this weekend and want to get the most HD possible. Has Brighthouse improved any over the last 5 years? I could put up with the lousy customer service, but the pic was so bad I gave up on them years ago. As I understand it, they now carry the locals in HD. What do you think of them now?

Dave
post #1181 of 11836 Old 10-21-2005, 10:34 AM

WB will be on Comcast HD, Channel 235 Look for it today.
post #1182 of 11836 Old 10-21-2005, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 218
NoviDave

I've been out of town for five years, so I can't compare it, but they seem to be doing an admirable job. They don't carry WB-20 nor UPN-50 in HD, yet. But, for the others, there's very little difference (but there is some) between their picture and OTA. Tiny amount. Not enough for me to bother with firing up the OTA box, even on live sports. And I'm pretty finicky.

ESPN-HD looks about the same from both providers, but Discovery HD, HDNet and HBO are all better on Brighthouse. I don't watch enough Showtime to form an opinion.

If you need something else to lean you toward Brighthouse, the dual-tuner HD DVR should do it. It's still a little buggy, but mostly just slow remote response and sometimes the menus will hang. I recommend sticking a UPS on it. A reboot sometimes causes it to lose its mind and your programmed recordings. Doesn't always happen, but happens. And it's forever and a day to rebuild its guide after losing power.

I'm keeping both because of Sunday Ticket and Gameplan (I have two D* receivers, but only one cable box). And Brighthouse doesn't have Universal HD. DirecTV doesn't have TNT nor InHD.

My customer service experience has been stellar with both, except for the ridiculous exercise of having to send an installer out to disconnect the cable when the previous homeowner moved out, only to send him back out to hook me up the next day when I moved in. There was no way to convince BH to just leave it be. The weird part was that they were offering "free installation." So, they wasted money on an unnecessary trip.

Pick your poison.

Doc

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #1183 of 11836 Old 10-21-2005, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. 20 View Post

WB will be on Comcast HD, Channel 235 Look for it today.

It hasn't arrived in Northville (Comcast - Canton) as of 3:25 this afternoon, but I'll keep looking!

Dave
on Comcast Cable of Canton, MI
post #1184 of 11836 Old 10-21-2005, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

As noted, Comcast has added WDWB-DT, WB20, to their line up on channel 235. Just in time for tomorrow's Pistons game in HD.

post #1185 of 11836 Old 10-21-2005, 01:19 PM

Hmm, you hear that Brighthouse? It's not enough that I can watch my beloved Pistons in HD OTA, I want to be able to DVR the games darn it!
post #1186 of 11836 Old 10-21-2005, 04:24 PM

Yeah, great news about the Pistons and Comcast's coverage of WB20 in HD. Now if FSD would JUST CARRY WINGS GAMES IN HD!!!!
Drives me nuts. All year, I'll see maybe 3-5 Wings game in HD on OLN HD. That's it. Can't believe with as huge as the Wings are in this town, that we don't get FSN in HD. I mean, several other markets have their FSN's in HD.
Maybe next year. At least I'm hoping for some 1st round coverage in HD on OLN or something. We'll see.
post #1187 of 11836 Old 10-22-2005, 06:45 AM

I'm seeing ads in ABC Warehouse and elsewhere for "HD Local channels on DirectTV". Is this actually via sat or just OTA for the locals?
post #1188 of 11836 Old 10-22-2005, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post

I'm seeing ads in ABC Warehouse and elsewhere for "HD Local channels on DirectTV". Is this actually via sat or just OTA for the locals?

Via sat. We're the test market:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=592525

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #1189 of 11836 Old 10-22-2005, 03:04 PM

well...

I added another 5 foot mast to my 10 foot mast to get my antenna up in the air some more.. seems to have done the trick.

new question... now my mast is about 10 1/2 feet above my chimney... pretty lightweight antenna, but I'm curious what kind of stress this will put on my chimney now?

question for directv users too... is DTV offering any freebies to current subscribers to get an HD box? love my DTV.. but don't want to throw down for a new dish and box now that i have all my locals going with an OTA box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbb1226 View Post

I'm sure you meant to say "multipath," and not "multicasting."

No antenna expert am I, but I had to do two things to finally solve my multipath problem in Royal Oak: Switching the antenna helped somewhat (switched from a yagi-style to a 4-bay bowtie), and raising it up above the house next door did the rest.

post #1190 of 11836 Old 10-22-2005, 03:36 PM
boo
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

As noted, Comcast has added WDWB-DT, WB20, to their line up on channel 235. Just in time for tomorrow's Pistons game in HD.

WooHoo, now I can record Smallville and Alias in HD ( on at the same time and I have to work til 8pm on Thursdays ) and put my Samsung 165 away for now( nothing on UPN-50 for me since Enterprise got canned ) , ever since I have left E* for Comcast ( back in Feb. ) I have been happy with my decision every day and this makes it a little better, now we just need ESPN2, UniversalHD on Comcast and Fox Sports Detroit to start doing HD here.
post #1191 of 11836 Old 10-22-2005, 04:33 PM

The pistons game is on right now, and it is NOT in HD. They must be waiting for the season to start. Kind of a shame, even though it is the preseason this is probably WB's only airing of a Heat/Piston game.

Edit: Huh... they even say "This game is in High Def!" and flashed the Sharp image on the screen.... but its not in HD. Weird... I'm getting the OTA feed, not through comcast so it definitely isn't being broadcast in HD.
post #1192 of 11836 Old 10-22-2005, 04:54 PM
boo
AVS Special Member

Not on Comcast either, George Blaha just said, " Automotion in High Definition" when they were showing the cheerleaders...someone forget to turn the switch?
post #1193 of 11836 Old 10-22-2005, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo View Post

Not on Comcast either, George Blaha just said, " Automotion in High Definition" when they were showing the cheerleaders...someone forget to turn the switch?

Can't imagine why they'd be saying it on air when their engineers have to know it's not. Kind of weird.
post #1194 of 11836 Old 10-22-2005, 06:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Called, couldn't get a human, sent e-mail.

post #1195 of 11836 Old 10-23-2005, 05:04 AM
boo
AVS Special Member

Well the Pistons were a bust last nite, but all of us 'Comcast folks' get to see the Red Wings tomorrow ( 10-24 ) on InHD 2, I still have never seen a Red Wings game in 1080i and can't wait to watch.
post #1196 of 11836 Old 10-23-2005, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo View Post

Well the Pistons were a bust last nite, but all of us 'Comcast folks' get to see the Red Wings tomorrow ( 10-24 ) on InHD 2, I still have never seen a Red Wings game in 1080i and can't wait to watch.

You're sure it won't be blacked out on InHD because Fox has the local rights? I can't recall the specifics now but I know there have been at least 2 or 3 times that a RedWings and/or Pistons game was scheduled on HDNet or InHD, but not actually shown here, at least not on Bright House.

It would be great if I am wrong though. Maybe it is different now that OLN has the NHL contract.
post #1197 of 11836 Old 10-23-2005, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post

You're sure it won't be blacked out on InHD because Fox has the local rights? I can't recall the specifics now but I know there have been at least 2 or 3 times that a RedWings and/or Pistons game was scheduled on HDNet or InHD, but not actually shown here, at least not on Bright House.

It would be great if I am wrong though. Maybe it is different now that OLN has the NHL contract.

No, no local blackout. It is an OLN game and FSD is not covering it. FINALLY some Red Wings in HD. Wish there was a lot more! C'mon FSD, let's do some HD!!!
post #1198 of 11836 Old 10-23-2005, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post

Maybe it is different now that OLN has the NHL contract.

The OLN games are national, with no blackouts.

post #1199 of 11836 Old 10-23-2005, 04:30 PM

This may have been reported earlier, but Comsast dual tuner DVRs are now available in more areas. I just called and reserved two. Just have to pick them up in Pontiac. I live in Rochester Hills, so I assume this whole northern Oakland area can now get them.
post #1200 of 11836 Old 10-24-2005, 04:55 AM

Anybody get any reason why Channel 20 said the game was in HD on Saturday, yet no one was able to receive it? I tried OTA and on my Comcast box.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page