Detroit, MI - HDTV - Page 402 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #12031 of 12048 Old 08-25-2015, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
TV 20 kept dropping out again today, but by moving my flat antenna to a certain spot away from the window I can get a perfect signal (actually, I didn't see any picture on 20.2 at all until I moved that antenna around and a promo for 7 First Alert suddenly appeared).

Currently watching Joe Friday and Bill Gannon hard at work on 20.2. XD

There must've been something strong between Southfield, Wyandotte and Columbus that kept breaking the signal apart...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12032 of 12048 Old 08-27-2015, 11:04 AM

For our cable and IPTV users-what out-of-market stations do you get in the Detroit market?

Our Uverse system has WCMZ (Flint PBS) and the provider I previously had, Wyandotte Cable, had WGTE (Toledo PBS) as of 2011. Back many years ago, I believe one of our first providers had a few other Toledo stations as well.

I believe the reason why they have these out-of-market PBS stations is to allow us with another alternative when WTVS preempts programs that interest us.
post #12033 of 12048 Old 08-27-2015, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Burb View Post
For our cable and IPTV users-what out-of-market stations do you get in the Detroit market?

Our Uverse system has WCMZ (Flint PBS) and the provider I previously had, Wyandotte Cable, had WGTE (Toledo PBS) as of 2011. Back many years ago, I believe one of our first providers had a few other Toledo stations as well.

I believe the reason why they have these out-of-market PBS stations is to allow us with another alternative when WTVS preempts programs that interest us.
Bright House Networks carries WCMZ as well, but only in SD for reasons unknown.

They also carry CBET from Windsor, which some people would probably call out of market.

In their original incarnation as Metrovision, they carried TVOntario and WGTE but that's going back 20 years or more.
post #12034 of 12048 Old 08-27-2015, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by yimitz View Post
Bright House Networks carries WCMZ as well, but only in SD for reasons unknown.

They also carry CBET from Windsor, which some people would probably call out of market.

In their original incarnation as Metrovision, they carried TVOntario and WGTE but that's going back 20 years or more.
Anyone over about 35 would never call Channel 9 from Windsor "out of Market" and many are upset when they find out the Satellite companies cannot carry that station.
post #12035 of 12048 Old 08-27-2015, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

When Comcast used to carry some channels in the clear on QAM (cable-ready tuners), they carried WGTE for a short time. It was never in the regular channel lineup.

Roger in DTW
post #12036 of 12048 Old 08-28-2015, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreini View Post
When Comcast used to carry some channels in the clear on QAM (cable-ready tuners), they carried WGTE for a short time. It was never in the regular channel lineup.
That was certainly unusual...
post #12037 of 12048 Old 08-28-2015, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Ann Arbor cable (now comcast)in the Early 90's carried 4 PBS stations (Detroit, Toledo, Lansing, Flint)
post #12038 of 12048 Old 08-28-2015, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 1259
Which station is on RF channel 2?

AFAIK, they're all on 7 or higher around here. Antennacraft makes high band VHF/UHF boom antennas for RF channels 7-69 that are more reasonably sized since the really long elements were only needed for 2-6. link

Of course they make UHF (14-69) and full VHF/UHF (2-69) antennas too.
post #12039 of 12048 Old 08-28-2015, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
Anyone over about 35 would never call Channel 9 from Windsor "out of Market" and many are upset when they find out the Satellite companies cannot carry that station.
...and we probably won't care in a couple years once Rogers finally pulls HNIC off of CBC completely.
post #12040 of 12048 Old 08-28-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Which station is on RF channel 2?
There are no stations on real channel 2 in either Michigan nor any of it's neighboring states. The closest low-VHF station to Detroit is a low-powered station on real channel 5 based in Lenawee County, but that station serves the Toledo market.
post #12041 of 12048 Old 08-28-2015, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFiero View Post
...and we probably won't care in a couple years once Rogers finally pulls HNIC off of CBC completely.
It may be next year for me as the entire hockey coverage took 2 steps back this season
I still enjoyed their Olympic coverage last year, and there are occasionally a few scripted shows or specials on there that I watch as well
post #12042 of 12048 Old 08-29-2015, 01:26 PM

This site is predicting that strong tropo conditions will make their way over southeastern Michigan Monday at 18:00 UTC. Do you think you'll be getting any new stations if you rescan then?

Last edited by Matt Burb; 08-29-2015 at 02:36 PM.
post #12043 of 12048 Old 08-30-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFiero View Post
Either that or when Uverse shuts down and all of it's customers are migrated over to Direct TV, whatever comes first.
post #12044 of 12048 Old 08-30-2015, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Either that or when Uverse shuts down and all of it's customers are migrated over to Direct TV, whatever comes first.
I expect the opposite. Makes more sense to expand the customer base by keeping UVerse.. especially for customers who can't access the satellites. Or won't. I think it's more likely you'll see UVerse become an offshoot of DirecTV, not shut down. Imagine how many customers they could attract by offering NFLST on the UVerse platform.

And, as I mentioned in the DirecTV thread, AT&T is in a unique position when it comes to carriage disputes. They're a major advertiser with most of the media companies. M.A.J.O.R. That's some serious leverage when it comes to negotiations. I can't see a company such as Time Warner risking the loss of that income just to get a few more pennies per sub out of DirecTV. Count the AT&T commercials and sponsorships on just TNT and you'll see what I mean.
Dawgdaes likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #12045 of 12048 Old 08-31-2015, 08:40 AM

TV 20 is now breaking up again here in Wyandotte. I suspect it may be due to the approaching strong tropo...

UPDATE: WDIV just did the same thing. Must be that tropo...

Last edited by Matt Burb; 08-31-2015 at 11:58 AM.
post #12046 of 12048 Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM

Okay...now today, TV 20 is still dropping in and out in Wyandotte, but something else happened. The PSIP mechanism doesn't even trigger, even when the signal makes it.

What's been causing TV 20 to virtually almost be unwatchable Downriver within these past few days?
post #12047 of 12048 Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
What's been causing TV 20 to virtually almost be unwatchable Downriver within these past few days?
By that I assume you've checked with others? Virtually unwatchable for you or everyone? Usually, we get posts if it's widespread.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #12048 of 12048 Old Today, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
By that I assume you've checked with others? Virtually unwatchable for you or everyone? Usually, we get posts if it's widespread.
There is another person over at another forum who says that the same thing had been happening to him. He's on the southern end of Downriver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception