Detroit, MI - HDTV - Page 413 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 62Likes
post #12361 of 12374 Old 08-05-2016, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rreini View Post
This thread has really dried up -- the last post was over 2 months ago.
I was thinking the same thing. I was thinking that either signals around here are easy to catch (re. no issues to report), we get the channels we want (no concerns with omissions) or everyone's gravitated to other pursuits.

I live so close to the towers here in Royal Oak, I could use a paperclip and get everything somewhat reliably.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12362 of 12374 Old 08-17-2016, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozzmonster View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I was thinking that either signals around here are easy to catch (re. no issues to report), we get the channels we want (no concerns with omissions) or everyone's gravitated to other pursuits.

I live so close to the towers here in Royal Oak, I could use a paperclip and get everything somewhat reliably.
I live in Southfield but I think that I have multipath issues at times. My signal will occasionally go from 100% down to 60-70% (Panasonic TV scale) and the picture will glitch for a second and go right back to normal. I don't see this issue on channels like CBC 9 that are farther away.

I've watched CBS Sunday Morning a few times over the past few months and the audio is always out of sync on this program. The WTOL Toledo CBS does not seem to have this problem, has anyone else noticed?

Career - Grad Student - Powerlifter
post #12363 of 12374 Old 08-17-2016, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I am in Farmington Hills and have seen the problems with signal strength you describe.

Particularly in the summer, but at any time, I may have bad reception of 4.x If windy it is for sure.

7.x is always unwatchable on my TiVo Premier XL. But no problem if I use my decade old semi-retired Sony DHG-HDD500.

My TiVo can get Toledo ABC without any problem unless storms to the South. 9.1 is always good.
skatingrocker17 likes this.
post #12364 of 12374 Old 08-17-2016, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Multipath is definitely an issue here in Royal Oak due to trees. During the winter I can point my antenna any direction and get the locals no problem. Once the leaves come in, I have to point directly at the transmitter sites to get 100% breakup free reception. Luckily most of my locals are in the same direction.
post #12365 of 12374 Old 08-18-2016, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 1136
Don't forget that Royal Oak is directly on the approach path for both DTW and City Airport. I'm in Novi, and I can see them turn for final over F Hills and Southfield all day when it's warm and the wind's out of the south.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #12366 of 12374 Old 08-18-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug2 View Post
I am in Farmington Hills and have seen the problems with signal strength you describe.

Particularly in the summer, but at any time, I may have bad reception of 4.x If windy it is for sure.

7.x is always unwatchable on my TiVo Premier XL. But no problem if I use my decade old semi-retired Sony DHG-HDD500.

My TiVo can get Toledo ABC without any problem unless storms to the South. 9.1 is always good.
I live in Southfield near the border of Farmington Hills so looks like we've got the same problem. I have a TV in our kitchen that just has an Amazon Basics flat antenna propped up behind it. It doesn't seem to have these issues but I also get less channels than I do with my DB4e with VHF reflector kit, obviously. I have not seen signal inconsistencies on the kitchen TV. But, I usually only watch FOX 2 on that TV and I don't think I have issues with that channel on any TV. I think for the most part the multipath issues are only on UHF channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Don't forget that Royal Oak is directly on the approach path for both DTW and City Airport. I'm in Novi, and I can see them turn for final over F Hills and Southfield all day when it's warm and the wind's out of the south.
You're right I see the planes those planes all the time. I had a similar problem living in Canton and being close to metro airport.

post #12367 of 12374 Old 08-21-2016, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I noticed today that 56.2 and 56.3 are both out. I went to their web site and it said that due to power outages the channels were out and maintenance is working on it. Aren't they all on the same transmitter, antenna etc? This seems a little strange.
post #12368 of 12374 Old 08-22-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
I noticed today that 56.2 and 56.3 are both out. I went to their web site and it said that due to power outages the channels were out and maintenance is working on it. Aren't they all on the same transmitter, antenna etc? This seems a little strange.
I noticed that too. They must have had some issues getting the sub channels back up for some reason. I'm not really sure how that all works but they are all broadcast from the same tower.

post #12369 of 12374 Old 08-22-2016, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatingrocker17 View Post
I noticed that too. They must have had some issues getting the sub channels back up for some reason. I'm not really sure how that all works but they are all broadcast from the same tower.
They are off totally right now, so there must be some major issue.
post #12370 of 12374 Unread 09-17-2016, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Well, after a hiatus of several months due to other interests getting in the way, I'm finally back with a couple things to say.

First, as this thread has been so neglected that no one posted last week's NFL games, I'll start the 2016 season off with tomorrow's Week 2 games viewable in Detroit tomorrow. Just like last year, courtesy of 506.com. An interesting case here is that even though as the Lions are playing an AFC team at Ford Field, it's being carried on all of the easily-receivable CBS stations except for WTOL, which is instead carrying the Cleveland Browns as they're in that team's secondary market even though Ford Field is closer.

1:00
Tennessee at Lions: WWJ, WLNS
Baltimore at Cleveland: WTOL

4:25
Indianapolis at Denver: CBS
Seattle at Los Angeles: Fox*
*If you happen to live all the way up in the northern Oakland County or Lapeer County foothills the early Fox game, Dallas at Washington, will be carried by WSMH.

Speaking of WTOL...I haven't been able to receive it by placing it in my second-floor closet (no, I haven't moved!) for several months now. This may be due to my coax cables gaining so many bends. Is this the case and if so how do I solve it?
post #12371 of 12374 Unread 09-19-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Burb View Post
Speaking of WTOL...I haven't been able to receive it by placing it in my second-floor closet (no, I haven't moved!) for several months now. This may be due to my coax cables gaining so many bends. Is this the case and if so how do I solve it?
That could be. I try to not force my cables to make sharp turns. Doing so too many times could probably break the copper on the inside of the cable.

Are you usually able to receive it this time of year? I know that leaves being on the trees and other foliage could cause an issue.

post #12372 of 12374 Unread 09-19-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatingrocker17 View Post
Are you usually able to receive it this time of year? I know that leaves being on the trees and other foliage could cause an issue.
I haven't been able to check recently as I was too busy, but yesterday I was at least able to receive the signal but no pictures or audio at all. As the season is now here I am trying to get WTOL for the Cleveland Browns games that don't air here so at least I can check on them as I wait for the Lions.
post #12373 of 12374 Unread 09-19-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Burb View Post
I haven't been able to check recently as I was too busy, but yesterday I was at least able to receive the signal but no pictures or audio at all. As the season is now here I am trying to get WTOL for the Cleveland Browns games that don't air here so at least I can check on them as I wait for the Lions.
That sounds promising. It could just need an adjustment.

post #12374 of 12374 Unread Today, 10:30 AM

506.com maps for Week 3's Sunday games posted, this week, CBS is the doubleheader network and we will get both games of the doubleheader, but one of them will be competing with the Lions as they try to achieve their second straight victory in Wisconsin so we'll all be watching that anyway unless you are loyal to one of the Ohio teams. Here's what's receivable in Detroit.

1:00
Denver at Cincinnati: WWJ, WLNS
Cleveland at Miami: WTOL
Lions
at Green Bay: Fox

4:25
Pittsburgh at Philadelphia: CBS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception