Detroit, MI - HDTV - Page 413 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 61Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12361 of 12369 Old 08-05-2016, 11:52 AM
Member
 
Bozzmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Royal Oak, MI
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rreini View Post
This thread has really dried up -- the last post was over 2 months ago.
I was thinking the same thing. I was thinking that either signals around here are easy to catch (re. no issues to report), we get the channels we want (no concerns with omissions) or everyone's gravitated to other pursuits.

I live so close to the towers here in Royal Oak, I could use a paperclip and get everything somewhat reliably.
Bozzmonster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12362 of 12369 Old 08-17-2016, 07:05 AM
Senior Member
 
skatingrocker17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozzmonster View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I was thinking that either signals around here are easy to catch (re. no issues to report), we get the channels we want (no concerns with omissions) or everyone's gravitated to other pursuits.

I live so close to the towers here in Royal Oak, I could use a paperclip and get everything somewhat reliably.
I live in Southfield but I think that I have multipath issues at times. My signal will occasionally go from 100% down to 60-70% (Panasonic TV scale) and the picture will glitch for a second and go right back to normal. I don't see this issue on channels like CBC 9 that are farther away.

I've watched CBS Sunday Morning a few times over the past few months and the audio is always out of sync on this program. The WTOL Toledo CBS does not seem to have this problem, has anyone else noticed?

Career - Grad Student - Powerlifter
skatingrocker17 is offline  
post #12363 of 12369 Old 08-17-2016, 10:01 AM
Senior Member
 
humbug2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Farmington Hills MI
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I am in Farmington Hills and have seen the problems with signal strength you describe.

Particularly in the summer, but at any time, I may have bad reception of 4.x If windy it is for sure.

7.x is always unwatchable on my TiVo Premier XL. But no problem if I use my decade old semi-retired Sony DHG-HDD500.

My TiVo can get Toledo ABC without any problem unless storms to the South. 9.1 is always good.
skatingrocker17 likes this.
humbug2 is offline  
post #12364 of 12369 Old 08-17-2016, 12:07 PM
Member
 
Bozzmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Royal Oak, MI
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Multipath is definitely an issue here in Royal Oak due to trees. During the winter I can point my antenna any direction and get the locals no problem. Once the leaves come in, I have to point directly at the transmitter sites to get 100% breakup free reception. Luckily most of my locals are in the same direction.
Bozzmonster is offline  
post #12365 of 12369 Old 08-18-2016, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 14,363
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 1082
Don't forget that Royal Oak is directly on the approach path for both DTW and City Airport. I'm in Novi, and I can see them turn for final over F Hills and Southfield all day when it's warm and the wind's out of the south.
skatingrocker17 likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
DrDon is offline  
post #12366 of 12369 Old 08-18-2016, 09:36 AM
Senior Member
 
skatingrocker17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug2 View Post
I am in Farmington Hills and have seen the problems with signal strength you describe.

Particularly in the summer, but at any time, I may have bad reception of 4.x If windy it is for sure.

7.x is always unwatchable on my TiVo Premier XL. But no problem if I use my decade old semi-retired Sony DHG-HDD500.

My TiVo can get Toledo ABC without any problem unless storms to the South. 9.1 is always good.
I live in Southfield near the border of Farmington Hills so looks like we've got the same problem. I have a TV in our kitchen that just has an Amazon Basics flat antenna propped up behind it. It doesn't seem to have these issues but I also get less channels than I do with my DB4e with VHF reflector kit, obviously. I have not seen signal inconsistencies on the kitchen TV. But, I usually only watch FOX 2 on that TV and I don't think I have issues with that channel on any TV. I think for the most part the multipath issues are only on UHF channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Don't forget that Royal Oak is directly on the approach path for both DTW and City Airport. I'm in Novi, and I can see them turn for final over F Hills and Southfield all day when it's warm and the wind's out of the south.
You're right I see the planes those planes all the time. I had a similar problem living in Canton and being close to metro airport.

Career - Grad Student - Powerlifter
skatingrocker17 is offline  
post #12367 of 12369 Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Gary S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I noticed today that 56.2 and 56.3 are both out. I went to their web site and it said that due to power outages the channels were out and maintenance is working on it. Aren't they all on the same transmitter, antenna etc? This seems a little strange.
skatingrocker17 likes this.
Gary S is online now  
post #12368 of 12369 Old Today, 08:26 AM
Senior Member
 
skatingrocker17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
I noticed today that 56.2 and 56.3 are both out. I went to their web site and it said that due to power outages the channels were out and maintenance is working on it. Aren't they all on the same transmitter, antenna etc? This seems a little strange.
I noticed that too. They must have had some issues getting the sub channels back up for some reason. I'm not really sure how that all works but they are all broadcast from the same tower.

Career - Grad Student - Powerlifter
skatingrocker17 is offline  
post #12369 of 12369 Old Today, 11:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Gary S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatingrocker17 View Post
I noticed that too. They must have had some issues getting the sub channels back up for some reason. I'm not really sure how that all works but they are all broadcast from the same tower.
They are off totally right now, so there must be some major issue.
Gary S is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off