Detroit, MI - HDTV - Page 417 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81Likes

post #12481 of 12489 Old 05-07-2017, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
Isn't The Word Network co-owned with WADL? Why wasn't it on 38.x before now?
It is. And for several years, it was on 38.x, but then it left the channel; I don't know why.

Roger in DTW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12482 of 12489 Old 05-07-2017, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by rreini View Post
It is. And for several years, it was on 38.x, but then it left the channel; I don't know why.
You would think that Mr. Adell would have kept it on.

Then again, there could have been other (financial?) considerations.

In the Cleveland market, the CW affiliate (WBNX) is owned by famous televangelist Ernest Angley. 55 is run as a secular station full-time...except for Angley's own shows.

They used to run his "90 and 9 Club" twice a day, at 9 AM and 9 PM.

The evening showing was bumped to 10 PM by the WB/CW, then bumped off the air entirely when WBNX picked up "Friends" re-runs.
post #12483 of 12489 Old 06-17-2017, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

14.2 RetroTV off the air

WHNE 14.2 RetroTV is currently off the air, with no ETA for its return. This is a national problem (a satellite problem). Quoting from WHNE's Facebook page:

"Attention Viewers,Retro TV and Rev'n will be off the air because the satellite (AMC-9) is down, engineers are trying to find out what going on. Stay tuned, but we guess they will be gone for a long time. Tune it Cornerstore and enjoy the infomiercils Or Diya TV Try something different."

Roger in DTW

post #12484 of 12489 Old 06-18-2017, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1209 Post(s)
Liked: 2367
Humorous update from Retro TV late last night:
Quote:
Good evening, would-be Retro viewers! It appears the satellite we used suffered a Dalek attack that has put it permanently out of commission. But not to fear! We've already moved to a better, more Dalek-proof satellite, and our local affiliates are making the changes right now, so your favorite Retro shows should be making their way back to your airwaves soon! We appreciate your continued patience.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.

Last edited by DrDon; 06-18-2017 at 07:56 AM.
post #12485 of 12489 Old 06-19-2017, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

RetroTV is back

RetroTV is back on WHNE 14.2 after the weekend outage caused by satellite failure.

Roger in DTW
post #12486 of 12489 Old 06-19-2017, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Satellite Failure
SES’s AMC-9 satellite drifting after anomaly
By Caleb Henry, Space News - Jun. 19, 2017

WASHINGTON — SES is moving customers off a 14-year-old geostationary communications satellite that’s drifting in orbit following a “significant anomaly” discovered over the weekend.

“SES has taken immediate action in contacting all customers and is working to transfer services to alternative satellite capacity in order to minimize disruption,” the company said in a June 19 statement.

Most of that traffic is being switched to other SES satellites, according to SES spokesperson Markus Payer, but might involve teaming up with other satellite operators where an SES substitute won’t fit. He declined to say how much of AMC-9’s capacity was in use at the time of the anomaly.

Payer described AMC-9’s drift from its 83 degrees west orbit as “slow.”

“I can’t say where it is now, but it is moving, yes,” Payer told SpaceNews June 19 by telephone. “It is a slow process [and] therefore can be fully under control, but of course we need to be in touch with the other operators.”

Payer said SES is sharing location information with other satellite operators and government agencies involved in tracking the satellite.

The Luxembourg-based global fleet operator first became aware of a problem with AMC-9 the morning of June 17 — a Saturday – and was still assessing the situation two days later. The Thales Alenia Space-built satellite was launched in 2003 on a Russian Proton rocket.

Payer said SES does not know whether the satellite, which provides data and broadcast services over the U.S. and Mexico using C- and Ku-band, can be returned to service. Losing the satellite would cost SES up to 20 million euros ($22.3 million) in revenue this year, SES said. The company would also take a one-off impairment charge of 38 million euros for the lost asset.

Payer said SES does not intend to make an insurance claim for any loss of AMC-9. He said all of SES’s satellites are insured, but declined to say how much coverage it still has for AMC-9.

AMC-9 was designed to last 15 years, but it is not uncommon for geostationary satellites to surpass that age and continue to generate revenue. Last month, SES relocated AMC-4, an 18-year old satellite, to cover flight routes for inflight connectivity provider Gogo, and sold all the capacity on AMC-3, a 20-year-old satellite, to Global Eagle Entertainment in January.

http://spacenews.com/sess-amc-9-sate....6MhRhUwX.dpuf
lionsnob and skatingrocker17 like this.

post #12487 of 12489 Old 08-14-2017, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3334 Post(s)
Liked: 2434
If any of you are Spectrum customer like me, hold onto your wallet. When you see their new Spectrum plans and pricing you'll likely lose your mind. So far they're not forcing people off the legacy Bright House plans they have now to the new plans, but they will eventually.

They now will have multiple tiers of channels. The bottom line for me is that with their new plan to keep the channels I already have which is no premium channels just the standard HDTV package I need their new base + tier 1 + tier 2 lineup (which includes no "premium" channels). For 60Mbit internet + TV (no phone) with 1 DVR my bill would go up from ~$142 before tax & fees (already way too much for what it is IMHO) to about $170 before tax & fees. Even just their base package without the Tier 1 or Tier 2 channels which would be a very significant loss of channels is still a few dollars more than I'm paying now. Pay more and get less.

When Spectrum pushes us to new plans I will be going Internet only. 60Mbit Internet is $54.99 a month and 300Mbit Internet is $94.99 a month (with or without TV). I can buy seasons on Blu-ray of the few shows on cable I really want to watch with the money saved each month and still come out ahead over the course of a year.

$170 a month before taxes and fees for 60Mbit Internet + TV & 1 DVR (no other equipment) with no premium channels like HBO, Showtime, etc. is just beyond outrageous.

Last edited by Stereodude; 08-14-2017 at 05:10 PM.
post #12488 of 12489 Old 08-14-2017, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

FWIW, I had a one-year plan with Bright House for 100 Lightning Internet for $40 a month. The DAY Spectrum took over - six months into my one-year deal - they canceled that and started charging me $90/mo.

post #12489 of 12489 Old 08-15-2017, 03:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3334 Post(s)
Liked: 2434
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
FWIW, I had a one-year plan with Bright House for 100 Lightning Internet for $40 a month. The DAY Spectrum took over - six months into my one-year deal - they canceled that and started charging me $90/mo.
Well that was very nice of them. I'm pretty sure I can get 1gig internet from AT&T for $80 a month. Unfortunately the lower bandwidth tier from AT&T isn't that much cheaper with 100mbit for $60.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page