Detroit, MI - HDTV - Page 418 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 90Likes

post #12511 of 12524 Old 09-26-2017, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Can you tell I'm just a TINY bit proud of the thing?
And rightly so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12512 of 12524 Old 09-27-2017, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Here's what we in Detroit can get for Week 4. CBS again has the doubleheader rights and the Lions are on the road, so we get the full slate.

1:00
Pittsburgh @ Baltimore: Michigan CBS affiliates
Cincinnati @ Cleveland: WTOL
Detroit Lions
@ Minnesota: Fox

Once again, only one late game available.
4:20
Oakland @ Denver: CBS

Those who can get Cleveland stations can get the Philadelphia Eagles-LA Chargers game at 4:05 on the Fox affiliate there.

<--111th post-->
post #12513 of 12524 Old 09-29-2017, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Burb View Post
Here's what we in Detroit can get for Week 4. CBS again has the doubleheader rights and the Lions are on the road, so we get the full slate.

Pittsburgh @ Baltimore: Michigan CBS affiliates
Cincinnati @ Cleveland: WTOL
Detroit Lions
@ Minnesota: Fox

Once again, only one late game available.
4:20
Oakland @ Denver: CBS

Those who can get Cleveland stations can get the Philadelphia Eagles-LA Chargers game at 4:05 on the Fox affiliate there.

<--111th post-->
Seriously, out of a 5 million metro population area, How many can get a solid, reliable Cleveland Digital TV signal that wont break up over the course of a 3+ hour game?
Toledo, sure; Cleveland, NO

Last edited by billmich; 09-29-2017 at 10:11 AM.

post #12514 of 12524 Old 09-30-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
Seriously, out of a 5 million metro population area, How many can get a solid, reliable Cleveland Digital TV signal that wont break up over the course of a 3+ hour game?
Toledo, sure; Cleveland, NO
If you had a big, towering outdoor antenna and were within a mile or two of the Detroit River or Lake Erie, Cleveland signals could be a little bit more stable, but if you wanted an even stabler signal, you'd probably have to go into rural Essex County, Ontario (Amherstburg, Leamington and surrounding areas).

Same situation with Flint digital TV signals if you were in the hills of the northern thirds of Oakland and Livingston Counties or further northeast of those places (and yes, I've seen WJRT weather reports and their maps include Oakland and Livingston in their viewing area).
post #12515 of 12524 Old 10-02-2017, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Burb View Post
If you had a big, towering outdoor antenna and were within a mile or two of the Detroit River or Lake Erie, Cleveland signals could be a little bit more stable, but if you wanted an even stabler signal, you'd probably have to go into rural Essex County, Ontario (Amherstburg, Leamington and surrounding areas).

Same situation with Flint digital TV signals if you were in the hills of the northern thirds of Oakland and Livingston Counties or further northeast of those places (and yes, I've seen WJRT weather reports and their maps include Oakland and Livingston in their viewing area).
You didn't answer the question.

You may have an antenna monstrosity and live right on the edge of the metro Detroit area, but it's a fools folly to list Cleveland games for the entire Detroit area

Last edited by billmich; 10-02-2017 at 09:17 AM.
post #12516 of 12524 Old 10-04-2017, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1322 Post(s)
Liked: 2566
Yeah, I've only met one guy who could get Cleveland occasionally in the morning or if the weather was hinky. He had a roof antenna and lived by the water in Luna Pier. He might hold a lock for 10 minutes, but that's it. I don't think anyone in Detroit can get Cleveland reliably enough to watch a game.

This Sunday, antenna users in Detroit who can pick up Toledo will get one extra game as WTOL airs Buffalo @ Cincinnati in the 1pm window. That's really it. Detroit's hosting Carolina for the early game on Fox. Fox's lone late game is Packers at Cowboys. The CBS late game showing on this half of the state is Baltimore at Oakland.
billmich likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.

Last edited by DrDon; 10-04-2017 at 10:47 AM.
post #12517 of 12524 Old 10-04-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Detroit's hosting Carolina for the early game on Fox
Corrected, the Lions don't face the Jaguars this year.
post #12518 of 12524 Old 10-04-2017, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Fixed
billmich likes this.

post #12519 of 12524 Old 10-07-2017, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In Ann Arbor, anyone else having issues with Xfinity sports channels having what I call digital interference? Where the picture stutters with pixelation? Getting it consistently on HD ESPNs, FS, BTN, NBCSN. Not happening on other non sport channels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
post #12520 of 12524 Old 10-07-2017, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 136
When did Comcast SEMI Sterling Heights (48317) start flagging EVER channel as copy once/copy never?
My situation is everything used to be copy freely except the HBO/Skinemax premium channels.
I just added a HDHomeRun Prime last night, did a channel scan and found everything listed as DRM (copy 1/never) and since Windows Media Center will not recognize my HDCP compliant GPU and HDCP compliant 40 inch 4K monitor over DP1.2 as acceptable WMC gives me video driver unable to display protected content error message. HDMI on this monitor will not run 4k @ 60 422 color so I am hesitant to switch over to HDMI.

Maybe I can add a 2nd monitor over HDMI and drag WMC to that screen? Maybe windows is smart enough to deem the path compliant?

I did notice the channel lineup is missing AMC/TNT/Discovery/SciFi/FX and a bunch of others and I only get 89 channels.

Is Comcast really restricting every channel these days =and nothing is copy freely?

Thanks for your help in advance.
post #12521 of 12524 Old 10-07-2017, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle_AA2 View Post
In Ann Arbor, anyone else having issues with Xfinity sports channels having what I call digital interference? Where the picture stutters with pixelation? Getting it consistently on HD ESPNs, FS, BTN, NBCSN. Not happening on other non sport channels.
I don't know the real channel layout for Comcast Ann Arbor, but if they're all on the same or adjacent real channels (not channel numbers, but actual frequencies) then you could have an ingress problem or just a connection issue. Disconnect and reconnect everything from the STB to the street you can get to. Make sure any cable outlet without a device connected to it is terminated. Finally, check to see if anyone's transmitting anything. With Spectrum Livonia, I lost the Big Ten Network and a few other channels anytime I had my FM transmitter on (for whole-house music distribution). The frequency I had that thing on was a harmonic of the channel B10 was on. It apparently was close enough to a cable box that it got into the whole system.

If none of those work, it's time to call Comcast.
Gargoyle_AA2 likes this.

post #12522 of 12524 Old 10-09-2017, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here is another weird thing that the good doctor might know

As you can tell from my AV, I have a massive TV set up for college football with many splits

When I try and access my DVR from some of there boxes, "some " (not all) of the recordings are missing

If I take a box downstairs, and connect directly to the wall, EVERYTHING is there.
If I bypass the massive split, and go directly to that box, everything is there

obviously my powered 8 way splitter has something to do with it, by why are SOME recording there, and some missing?
post #12523 of 12524 Old 10-10-2017, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
Here is another weird thing that the good doctor might know...
You're Comcast, right? Not exactly sure how their boxes communicate with the DVR.. without Googling it, I'd assume they use a low frequency for software data communications much like the bidirectional way boxes talk to the headend. I don't know the specs of your amp, but if it doesn't amplify the frequencies the boxes use to talk to each other, or there's other garbage at those frequencies, there's your problem. Again, this is a WAG, but I'd say data is being lost when your boxes try to fetch the list from the DVR. They don't get all of the list. Bet if you rebooted the box and tried, again, the list of recordings would change. The recordings are all still there. But any listing that arrived at the client box garbled got thrown out. I'd make Comcast come out and fix it unless you did all the cabling, yourself. Cablecos tend to charge by the hour if they have to fix customer wiring.

While I'm at it, not trying to beat Matt to the punch, but I had to look it up for my own reasons, so I figured I'd post what's currently scheduled:

October 15th OTA NFL afternoon games (subject to change)
CBS is the double-header network and the Lions are away on Fox, so none of the area Fox affiliates will be carrying either of the 4:05 games.

1:00 window
FOX: Detroit Lions at New Orleans Saints
WWJ: New England Patriots at New York Jets
WTOL: Cleveland Browns at Houston Texans

4:20 window
WWJ/WTOL: Pittsburgh Steelers at Kansas City Chiefs
billmich likes this.

post #12524 of 12524 Old 10-18-2017, 01:23 PM

Here's the October 22nd games. This is the Lions' bye week, so they won't be in action, but at least you can still watch to see if the Packers can try to make it potentially without Rodgers due to his injury last Sunday (this is the injury with the potential to shake up not just the entire NFC North but the entire NFC itself) or if you can get Toledo stations turn on the atrocious Browns. CBS gets the day's doubleheader.

Baltimore Ravens at Minnesota Vikings: WWJ, WLNS
Tennessee Titans at Cleveland Browns: WTOL
New Orleans Saints at Green Bay Packers: Fox

The sole late game on stations receivable from Detroit involves the Cincinnati Bengals at the Pittsburgh Steelers on 4:25 on all the CBS affiliates receivable from Detroit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page