Detroit, MI - HDTV - Page 54 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1591 of 11844 Old 01-09-2006, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WJBK is still a black screen on my cheapo HDTV. Last time channel 2 went blank for me, it was only out a few days, and came back for a month or so. This time it's been gone for a few weeks.

I finally wrote my aunt at WJBK, and I know she will forward the note, so hopefully we'll get some action soon!

It appears that WJBKs formatting issue is only a problem for certain decoders. Does that make sense, DrDon? I have a 26" CRT HDTV, Insignia brand with built-in tuner. I know, I know, why did I buy this set, well, that's another story, but so far it has performed flawlessly. Seems like some tuners have no problem with channel 2 (58) at all, while at least a couple of us do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 11844 Old 01-09-2006, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyke View Post

I've tried 2 different antennas. Both are from Radio Shack. ... But your problem is not going to be your antenna it's that TV that has problems. How long have you had it?

Try this Tzee, any morning turn your TV to Good Morning America. Watch it and see if you get loud crack noise and sometimes shuts itself off then back on during that broadcast..

Good luck to you. And one closing note, Circuit City was totally devoted to helping me and no problems whatsoever with exchanging or trading up to a different TV. They were excellent!

Lastly, I just seen the zenith silver streak you mentioned. It looks to be a HDTV only antenna. I don't think it has a preamp either. If you want to watch VHF you might get very poor reception with it.

Thank you very much for your reply Tyke.

I did try the Radio Shack antenna, indoor amplified model, and it didn't work well for me. Some channels came in great, while others had allot of noise.
So I went to Walmart (ya, the only place other than RS with antennas in stock). I got 6 different antennas ($60 ~ $20). All of them performed well, and I ended up with a Phillips Amplified ($20), with very little need to make any adjustments for any channels. I use analog basic cable for all non-HDTV stations and use the antenna switch on the remote to go to the OTA HDTV broadcasting. That is working well for me. I had heard the Zenith antenna was suppose to be the best for indoor UHF band, but I am happy with what I got now.

Now, as for the TV set performance, well here is what I have experienced so far:

Purchased at Westland Circuit City mid November.
Has worked very well for me so far, except I had a couple of problems:

1) Analog cable WGN (only one that does it) sound occasionally goes out for 2 seconds every now and then.

2) In HDTV, had lower volume than analog cable. But I switched the auto volume to off and that improved it.

As for WXYZ issue, I have not experienced that yet, but I rarely have watched that channel. I usual watch PBS. I will try and watch it more, now that you have clued me in on it.
You are correct about the channel pausing thing in HDTV mode, but it improved allot when I changed antennas and got a better signal. So I think that had allot to do with it.

But here is something I noticed over the weekend when trying each of those antennas:

Radio Shack used a mesh screen and I really didn't have to move it much to adjust the reception, except in a vertical position, that had a huge impact. But it's not practical for me.

Jensen had a fancy horizontal cone rod shape, very good reception on every channel except WXYZ, there was nothing. I mean no HDTV at all.

Philips flat panel type, terrible, just nothing at all.

Phillips ring shape, actually looks like an eye (large eye shape). It worked the best, but it took me a good 30 minutes to position it in a place and adjust the "eye" ring to position that gets every channel.

So I believe due to where I live and the fact that my TV and antenna are at the end of my house that is up against my neighbor's, the ring shape size and position is enough to pick up all the signals. I live in arms length to my neighbor and my backyard and surrounding area is thick with 40 foot maple trees, with towers 17 miles away. So I am lucky, I guess, to get what I got with the little indoor TV top antenna.

I will watch WXYZ tonight and tomorrow morning and let you know what happens. But if I had to exchange TV sets, I would be in trouble, because the slimfit was the only thing that would work for me, due to size limitations. And knowing what I do about Plasmas and LCDs, I couldn't justify the price at this time.

PS:
The one annoying thing about the Samsung that I wish I could change is that beeping when you turn the set on and off. My wife and I have different wake up and sleep times due to our work schedule, and that beeping annoys you no matter what REM state you're in ...

Tom Z.
post #1593 of 11844 Old 01-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabin View Post

It appears that WJBKs formatting issue is only a problem for certain decoders. Does that make sense, DrDon? I have a 26" CRT HDTV, Insignia brand with built-in tuner. I know, I know, why did I buy this set, well, that's another story, but so far it has performed flawlessly. Seems like some tuners have no problem with channel 2 (58) at all, while at least a couple of us do.

Some tuners handle the PSIP tables differently than others. Yours (and mine) are locking up because certain values in those PSIP tables do not match. Other tuners have the ability to ignore the bad data and tune the channel, anyway. It's the broadcaster's responsibility to make sure those PSIP tables are in compliance. But they're used to looking at the TV in the lobby. If it looks ok, then it must be ok. Some cannot fathom that it's their fault that some viewers can't get the signal. They assume if they're getting it, then the problem lies with the consumer's receiver.

Doc

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #1594 of 11844 Old 01-09-2006, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZee View Post

The one annoying thing about the Samsung that I wish I could change is that beeping when you turn the set on and off. My wife and I have different wake up and sleep times due to our work schedule, and that beeping annoys you no matter what REM state you're in ...

Search your menus, TZ, there should be an option for turning off the beeping. On my Samsung LCD, it's called "Melody", and I think it's in the "Setup" menu (right above or below the "Blue Screen" on/off setting).
post #1595 of 11844 Old 01-09-2006, 07:43 PM

I got WOW(Wide Open West) for my HD coverage. All of my HD channels look great but HDNET and HDmovies isnt working at the moment. WOW said that my call was the first to report a problem. Anyone else with WOW in the detroit area and they are not getting HDNET or HDmovies at the moment?
post #1596 of 11844 Old 01-10-2006, 09:18 AM

tbb1226
I searched my Menu screen on my Samsung and there was nothing that would allow me to change that beeping sound. Even the manual didn't mention it. Any other ideas?

tyke
I watched WXYZ last night for awhile and nothing happened. But this morning I watched GMA and it wasn't until just before 8AM that the TV turned it self off and made a continuous clicking sound until I unplug the cord and plug it back in (I waited about 2 minutes before I took that course of action).

I will ask Samsung about it via the web, maybe they are working on a fix (hopefully), I did notice there was a jack for upgrading the TV on the side, so maybe this can be fixed via a software change.

Tom Z.
post #1597 of 11844 Old 01-13-2006, 07:23 PM

anyone in the detroit area (im in lake orion) having problems with their comcast hd? just recently after the digital simulcast conversion, i noticed the hd channels started to look bad. i tried to watch the UFC on INHD tonight and it was very pixalated and blocky. it looked horrible. i wouldnt even consider this high def. what is going on with the quality of comcast hdtv, i never had a problem with it. i had comcast out about a week ago to check everything and my signal was great. it has to do with low bandwith or something. anyone having issues with hd quality in the detroit area?
post #1598 of 11844 Old 01-14-2006, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
ESPNHD looks fine today...I have not looked at INHD in awhile.

-- Jim

-- Jim
post #1599 of 11844 Old 01-15-2006, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZee View Post

tbb1226
I searched my Menu screen on my Samsung and there was nothing that would allow me to change that beeping sound. Even the manual didn't mention it. Any other ideas?

tyke
I watched WXYZ last night for awhile and nothing happened. But this morning I watched GMA and it wasn't until just before 8AM that the TV turned it self off and made a continuous clicking sound until I unplug the cord and plug it back in (I waited about 2 minutes before I took that course of action).

I will ask Samsung about it via the web, maybe they are working on a fix (hopefully), I did notice there was a jack for upgrading the TV on the side, so maybe this can be fixed via a software change.

Tom Z.

Thanks for your long informative replies TZEE. Yes that annoying melody tune when the TV turns on and off is a nusiance. I wonder if maybe in the Service Mode Menu there is an option to toggle it on/off. As for WXYZ, it only happens with HDTV broadcasts. Everyone I've watched this problem happened. Mine never made the continuous clicking sound, it just turned off and back on. I spoke to Samsung Support 3 times on the phone. All they said was they'd schedule a sevice call. I told them I think something is wrong with all models of this tv. I had a service tech come out too, from Samsung. He seen the problem and said he never seen or heard of it before. At first I thought it might have just been my tv UNTIL I exchanged it for another one. I think the problem might be two fold in the way WXYZ broadcasts its hdtv and something with the HDTV tuner of the Samsung. Its too bad because we really liked the TV. We, like you, needed something smaller and the SlimFit was just perfect for us. So, this is why we returned the TV to CC and traded up(for an additional expense) to a LCD HDTV.

Good luck to you TZEE!

......Tyke
post #1600 of 11844 Old 01-15-2006, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one028 View Post

anyone in the detroit area (im in lake orion) having problems with their comcast hd? just recently after the digital simulcast conversion, i noticed the hd channels started to look bad. i tried to watch the UFC on INHD tonight and it was very pixalated and blocky. it looked horrible. i wouldnt even consider this high def. what is going on with the quality of comcast hdtv, i never had a problem with it. i had comcast out about a week ago to check everything and my signal was great. it has to do with low bandwith or something. anyone having issues with hd quality in the detroit area?

I also have noticed a decrease in PQ from comcast HD lately. The rolling lines appear now from time to time and network HD seems more pixelated than usual...
post #1601 of 11844 Old 01-15-2006, 09:15 AM

[quote=TZee]tbb1226

Tom,

Check out the "Sound" menu, and the "Melody" option.

-Chris
post #1602 of 11844 Old 01-17-2006, 08:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
NBA HDTV on INHD, via Comcast, looked bad tonight. Let me see what I can do.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #1603 of 11844 Old 01-18-2006, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Let me see what I can do.

Tell us that ESPN2HD and UHD are being added our Comcast line-ups.
post #1604 of 11844 Old 01-19-2006, 05:33 PM

After the discussion here regarding audio dropout on Direct TV's broadcast of WJBK, I wrote Direct TV as suggested. They replied that I should phone when the problem was evident. However, by that evening the situation was apparently resolved. The broadcast is now fine. Thanks to all here who helped correct this.
post #1605 of 11844 Old 01-20-2006, 09:09 AM

Well, I haven't checked in the past couple of days, but I've pretty much given up on WJBK. My wife said it was coming in for awhile the other day, then the screen went blank again. Maybe someone was actually trying to fix the PSIP table????

I've re-aimed my UHF set-top antenna towards the southeast and now I pick up channel 36, Fox-Toledo. Screw WJBK!
post #1606 of 11844 Old 01-20-2006, 09:51 AM

How about WXYZ Channel 7-1 OTA? I have had nothing all day.
post #1607 of 11844 Old 01-20-2006, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcawad View Post

How about WXYZ Channel 7-1 OTA? I have had nothing all day.

Yup, they are off the air.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #1608 of 11844 Old 01-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Yup, they are off the air.

Back up as of 4:20p

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabin View Post

Maybe someone was actually trying to fix the PSIP table????

I tried to fill them in on the missing data in their PSIP tables and got sort of a form-letter response telling me it's my problem for owning an older STB. I'll have to work on another route or more of you will have to start contacting them with the no-picture reports.

Sorry

Doc

post #1609 of 11844 Old 01-21-2006, 04:13 AM

I live in Rochester with antenna pointed toward Southfield - pick up all HDTV Stations with good signals....except WDWB. I get the signal but it continues to pixelate at times. Any ideas?

The moose out front should have told you...
post #1610 of 11844 Old 01-21-2006, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnputnamjr View Post

I live in Rochester with antenna pointed toward Southfield - pick up all HDTV Stations with good signals....except WDWB. I get the signal but it continues to pixelate at times. Any ideas?

Maybe bump the antenna a little more due south? IIRC, WDWB-DT is on the same stick with WWJ and WTVS-DT. Depending on your antenna and your tuner the ACI from 20 could be causing you fits with 21.

post #1611 of 11844 Old 01-21-2006, 09:58 AM

I'm having a problem with my new, D* H20 receiver.

Actually, I'm on my second D* H20 receiver in the past two weeks and have had the problem with both receivers.

The problem I am having is when I switch to Fox 2 HD (Ch. 2-1), the H20 will reset/reboot itself and continually loop unless I quickly change the channel in the 3 second window before it reboots again. This only happens when changing the channel to Fox 2 HD (Ch. 2-1) whether manually, with the remote or through the program guide and generally after the receiver has warmed up.

I've heard from others from the Detroit area on other forums that they are having similar rebooting issues.

I contacted D* and have heard:

--"We are aware of the issue."
--"There is a problem with your Fox affiliate."
--"Its a voltage issue, but we don't know anymore than that."

Does any of this sound plausible?

I had a houseful over to watch football last week and it was a bummer that we couldn't watch the game in HD. Plus, if its happened to 2 receivers and others, it can't be isolated to me.

Anybody else in Detroit in this forum experiencing this with the D* H20 receiver and have any idea as to why?
post #1612 of 11844 Old 01-21-2006, 11:45 AM

It's bad enough that NBC isn't giving us HD coverage, but what's up with very poor SD picture quality today over the HD channel? I am watching via Bright House, and it is probably the worst video I have seen over a digital channel. Ghosting, flickering, and flareing. Is somebody sleeping on the job down at WDIV?
post #1613 of 11844 Old 01-21-2006, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proc View Post

I contacted D* and have heard:

--"We are aware of the issue."
--"There is a problem with your Fox affiliate."
--"Its a voltage issue, but we don't know anymore than that."

Does any of this sound plausible?

I had a houseful over to watch football last week and it was a bummer that we couldn't watch the game in HD. Plus, if its happened to 2 receivers and others, it can't be isolated to me.

Anybody else in Detroit in this forum experiencing this with the D* H20 receiver and have any idea as to why?

I just returned my H20 because my new dish can't get a clear view of the Spaceway satellites, but I had this problem occur only once, just the day before I returned it (last Tuesday).

Given the other complaints here about the WJBK-DT data stream, I would not rule out the "problem with your FOX affiliate" excuse.

I'm curious, though, why you could not watch the DirecTV WJBK HD channel instead? Did you buy the H20 and not the 5-LNB dish? If so, why?
post #1614 of 11844 Old 01-21-2006, 12:17 PM

Pennhaven, glad you're seeing the same thing. I came to this board to see if anyone else is grumbling.

I was looking forward to kicking back this afternoon and watching the Wings / Avalanche in HD. Last Saturday, the game with the Rangers was also on NBC HD, and was PHENOMENAL. Today, pure _ _ _ _.

What's going on? My only theory is that the Wings game is the "# 2" game today, and thus, is getting 2nd tier treatment. I'm glad my brother couldn't make it over today. I called and asked if he wanted to come over to see my new HD plasma and watch the Wings game......glad he couldn't. lol

anyway, I'm very disappointed in this.

DB
post #1615 of 11844 Old 01-21-2006, 12:20 PM

What's wrong with NBC? Redwings are SD but they keep switching to the Phili game and that's HD. I'm really bummed

I get 10 from Lansing, 25 from Flint and it's the same.

I'd rather watch the other game, they better shape up.
post #1616 of 11844 Old 01-21-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpute View Post

What's wrong with NBC? Redwings are SD but they keep switching to the Phili game and that's HD. I'm really bummed

I get 10 from Lansing, 25 from Flint and it's the same.

I'd rather watch the other game, they better shape up.

Unfortunately NBC is only carrying the primary game each week in HD. Chances are that the switching between games is going on at the local affiliates. Probably getting calls about the Redwings game not being in HD, then switching feeds to the HD game, which of course is not the Redwings.

You would think NBC could do a better job with coverage if they want their NHL investment to pay off.

First, hockey benefits from HD more than any other sport, but does NBC take advantage of the technology potential?

Second, the principal competition is NCAA hoops on CBS, which is on in HD. So what are HDTV owners more likely to watch?

NBC is losing out on market share by not covering both NHL games in HD. Reminds me of Dave Letterman's "those pin-heads at GE" line after NBC became part of GE.
post #1617 of 11844 Old 01-21-2006, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post

Unfortunately NBC is only carrying the primary game each week in HD.

This should not be news to anyone who has been paying attention.

Quote:

You would think NBC could do a better job with coverage if they want their NHL investment to pay off.

I think the coverage has been quite good so far - better than I expected from NBC Sports. The Wings are a popular NHL team, but they can't make the Wings the primary game every week. Philly vs. Pittsburge is a good matchup, too.

Quote:

First, hockey benefits from HD more than any other sport, but does NBC take advantage of the technology potential?

Second, the principal competition is NCAA hoops on CBS, which is on in HD. So what are HDTV owners more likely to watch?

I am probably in the minority, but I will watch any NHL game in SD rather than any college or NBA basketball game in HD. Basketball is just a complete bore, IMHO.

Quote:

NBC is losing out on market share by not covering both NHL games in HD.

You're probably being serious when you say this, but it's f-ing hilarious to me. NHL and NBC are not "market share" conscious - especially this season. People who want to see the game will watch it, regardless if it's HD or not. Most people will not watch it - without consideration of HD.
post #1618 of 11844 Old 01-21-2006, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post

Unfortunately NBC is only carrying the primary

What did NBC invest? I think they got the broadcast rights for complete collection of "Friends" on DVD.

Shame on the NHL it is absurd to me that they did not get NBC to broadcast every game they air in HD.

If there is a enough EQ out there so Disney can program ESPNHD + ESPN2HD there is no reason why NBC cant air two HD games a week.
post #1619 of 11844 Old 01-21-2006, 06:52 PM

tbb, why are you coming to the defense of NBC here? How hard would it be to broadcast BOTH games they cover in HD? Am I missing something here? I must say that if NBC is "taking a flyer" on airing NHL games, they have nothing to lose and everything to gain if they present the product in the sensational light that is NHL in HD.
post #1620 of 11844 Old 01-21-2006, 07:03 PM

I just got a Samsung 42 DLP Widescreen and Comcast HD, for some reason all the HD channels have black bars running on the tops and the sides. It makes my TV look like it is a 32 in instead. Is there something that I need to do in order to make the picture take up the whole screen? Thanks in advance!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page