Bakersfield, CA - HDTV - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 770 Old 08-02-2009, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
noticed yesterday that KERO 23 had animation in the side bars of their news telecast like the big networks do when a shot isnt in HD. sry I get excited by little things like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 770 Old 08-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Bright House has changed the virtual channel mapping of clear QAM channels. No more virtual channels in the 40s. Now they are the same as the analog channel only with a .1 added to the end. The clear QAM lineup is now as follows:

3.1 KGET NBC HD RF 79
4.1 KUVI MYTV SD RF 76
6.1 KBFX FOX HD RF 76
7.1 KBAK CBS HD RF 85
8.1 KERO ABC HD RF 79
12.1 KGETDT2 CW24 SD RF 76
18.1 KVPT PBS HD RF 85
18.3 V-ME SD RF 79
38.1 KNXT Catholic SD RF 79
Your neighbor's on demand and pay per view are still randomly on RF 105, 106, 107, 108, and 115. All other digital channels are scrambled.

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
post #543 of 770 Old 08-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

KKEY-LP Telemundo analog channel 11 is now off the air. The FCC's website shows that the license is still valid. I wonder if it is off the air permanently. The owner no longer promotes it as KKEY 11, but as Telemundo 17.3 . So for now it only exists as a subchannel of KGET. There is an application for a digital signal of it's own on RF channel 20. I wonder if that will ever be built, or is it's future only as a subchannel. I don't speak Spanish and therefore don't watch telemundo, but I am curious about what is happening with the local airwaves.

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
post #544 of 770 Old 09-07-2009, 12:59 PM

Liked: 11
This is interesting... I've noticed that pretty much on all the AVS OTA boards, that some destinations are reaching days or even weeks before anything new is posted. Only a year ago, posts, topics and replies were being added within minutes or hours of each other.

Could this mean that the DTV transition has gone better than expected and the majority of folks are basking in the quality of digital TV entertainment? Or have more become frustrated and just gone to ADS? (cable or satellite).

32 Year Broadcast Technical Veteran with over ten years in DTV transmission and reception experience.
post #545 of 770 Old 09-07-2009, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly From KOMO View Post

Could this mean that the DTV transition has gone better than expected and the majority of folks are basking in the quality of digital TV entertainment? Or have more become frustrated and just gone to ADS? (cable or satellite).

I can't speak for other metropolitan area's threads, but I doubt the lack of posts in the Bakersfield thread is due to our basking in the gloriousness of digital. Bakersfield continues to lack a Fox HD affiliate or a CWHD affiliate, Brighthouse Networks continues to offer a poor selection of HD channels, and Satellite is nationwide so that's not specific to our area. Also, its summertime so not much new on OTA.

It is interesting to me why there appear to be so few AVSers from Bakersfield, though. Some of these other cities seem to be getting multiple posts per day.

EDIT: Our little slice of AVS also only has around 500 posts since created, while the other cities have thousands or tens of thousands of posts. I guess we're just not that popular with audio/videophiles here in the CV.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #546 of 770 Old 09-17-2009, 10:45 AM

Hey, all. I have been reading your messages for awhile now. I have been at KBAK for 25 years. I started as a part-time studio camera operator to now running the engineering department since 2004. I appreciate all of your candor. Believe it or not, it does help.
I joined specifically so I could update you on some very exciting news.
KBFX-CA has been granted a construction permit (CP) to build out digital facilities to become a DC (Digital Class A).
We have been waiting for this for a long time. We could not go OTA HD until we had a digital license granted. Fittingly enough it was granted on 09-09-09. Great for numerologists
What this means for you is, now that we have the FCC blessings, we can budget all the necessary equipment. The hope is for install in the first half of next year. (Which is not that far off.)
You will notice that the frequency for KBFX-Digital is 29. This was done for several reasons that I won't bore you with. (The 22 displacement application was abandoned.)The re-mapped channel will be 58-1. The FCC wants all digital channels to still brand and "map" to the original analog channel for easier viewer recall.
post #547 of 770 Old 09-17-2009, 10:48 AM

Also, I e-mailed DirecTV on any plans for local HD transmission. This has been a sore spot for many years. You won't like the response...

Wed 9/16/2009 3:00 PM

Dear Mr. Capra,

Thank you for your inquiry. At this time DIRECTV does not have Bakersfield on our list of markets to launch in HD in 2009. But we are always reevaluating our available satellite capacity and additional markets to launch in HD. Please feel free to check back with us in 6 months as we continually update our HD launch plans.

Sincerely,

DIRECTV Locals-Business
Locals-business@directv.com
post #548 of 770 Old 09-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Tvfool shows that I will have a weak signal from RF29, probably not receivable with a set top antenna. 15K watts from Mt. Breckenridge won't provide a good signal to much of Bakersfield, according to the FCC's coverage maps. 15K from Mt. Adelaide does seem to. KBFX-DC needs to find a better transmitter arrangement. I watch primarily OTA signals outdoors and have cable in the house, so if I want to watch KBFX outdoors I will have to run cable to the backyard. That will work for me, but many people who don;t have cable and don't have rooftop antennas will lose KBFX when this signal replaces the subchannel of KBAK.

post #549 of 770 Old 09-17-2009, 04:16 PM

15 kw is the maximum power permitted by the FCC for Class A and low power stations. This is an overall significant improvement in KBFX’s coverage from analog.
post #550 of 770 Old 09-17-2009, 04:17 PM

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs/...401&q_num=5090
The FCC map shows what the estimated 51 dbu service contour for KBFX should be. The FCC uses a 41 dbu service contour for full power station’s coverage. So, in actuality, KBFX will have an additional 10 dbu of coverage margin than that shown in the FCC map.
post #551 of 770 Old 09-17-2009, 06:02 PM

Thanks Pete for the news on KBFX, I can't wait. Any plans on use of the sub channel after moving KBFX off of KBAK's bandwidth?

Now if only KERO would only fix their signal. The bump to 10kw didn't help me much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Capra View Post

Thank you for your inquiry. At this time DIRECTV does not have Bakersfield on our list of markets to launch in HD in 2009. But we are always reevaluating our available satellite capacity and additional markets to launch in HD. Please feel free to check back with us in 6 months as we continually update our HD launch plans.

Sincerely,

DIRECTV Locals-Business
Locals-business@directv.com

They don't have the capacity they thought they would wth the last satellite launch as it had to fix the spot beam issues they had with the previous satellite. The next satellite is scheduled to launch around November, so hopefully they will start filling the void with HD locals sometime in 2010.

Steve
post #552 of 770 Old 09-17-2009, 08:17 PM

Currently there are no plans for the .2, (first things first!)
The two "networks" that are .2 on other Fisher stations are "THIStv" and "RTV" (Retro TV). Similar programming to TVLand. I believe CBS is formulating something for their affiliates to use as a .2 but I don't know the details.
Of course with two transmitters we will be able to have two .2s, one of which will possibly/probably be the Kern Weather Network
post #553 of 770 Old 09-17-2009, 08:56 PM

Thanks to Pete for the good news regarding FOX in HD from KBFX. I subscribe to DirecTV mostly because of their superior offerings of sports, i.e., Sunday Ticket, Regional Fox Sports, MLB Extra Innings, etc. Now with an OTA antenna I'll be able to also watch the World Series in HD, hopefully after this year. Does Fisher plan to swap HD with KBAK and KBFX for this years Series? I seem to remember they swapped for the Super Bowl last year.
post #554 of 770 Old 09-18-2009, 10:47 AM

It is a big undertaking to swap the streams around. Not to mention the users have to re-scan the channels. This can get very confusing to the novice viewer. The stream swap is better suited for a one time event. (You lose all CBS HD in this process)
I know the current downconverted 16x9 is not optimum but compared to 4x3 SD, it is a huge improvement.
post #555 of 770 Old 09-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

I would like to have ThisTV and RetroTV. Whatever ends up on the subchannels, will Bright House carry it? And if so will they leave it unencrypted? Fisher should demand this whenever retransmission consent comes up for renewal.

post #556 of 770 Old 09-20-2009, 05:31 PM

Pete - With all the new equipment you will have to bring in, is there a chance to go full DD 5.1?
post #557 of 770 Old 09-21-2009, 05:58 AM
mgh

Hi all,

My box was recently "upgraded". What was the benefit to me?

1. Slower remote response with consequent erratic changes

2. Clumsy interface

3. What was a simple way to select favorites now becomes a major chore.

4. So far haven't discovered a way to determine how much space is used on the hard drive. It may be there, but can't just push the B button to find it.

Everything about it is less user friendly.

Other options are starting to look more appealing Bright House.

mgh
post #558 of 770 Old 09-21-2009, 08:24 AM

On the transition am usually on the Los Angeles post.

At this point most people seem to have gotten the bugs worked out for DTV. They may make improvements, but more on an annual basis. Not in crisis mode for the most part.

Got a question for you all. Wondering towards the Barstow area if you know of areas that are receiving signals from the Bakersfield transmitters, and if so, what is capable of being picked up.
post #559 of 770 Old 09-21-2009, 10:39 AM

Steve, one thing at a time. All these things cost mucho dinero. The first is getting FOX OTA HD, then our focus will be on HD News. A lot of cool things on the horizon in the next 1-2 years.
post #560 of 770 Old 09-21-2009, 10:40 AM

On a different note...
Anybody on this forum have AT&T U-Verse? I know they have limited exposure in Bakersfield but I wouldn't mind finding an alternative to the other systems. I was curious about their cost and quality.
post #561 of 770 Old 09-21-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On a different note...
Anybody on this forum have AT&T U-Verse? I know they have limited exposure in Bakersfield but I wouldn't mind finding an alternative to the other systems. I was curious about their cost and quality.

I recently purchased a house, and am considering signing up for U-Verse when I move in next week. I will have to check to see if its available in my neighborhood. My parents recently canceled their cable and went to U-Verse (in Oklahoma, though, so here may be different?), and seem to like it. I know that I'd be paying less $$$ for more HD than BHN is currently providing.

post #562 of 770 Old 09-21-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:

Steve, one thing at a time. All these things cost mucho dinero. The first is getting FOX OTA HD, then our focus will be on HD News. A lot of cool things on the horizon in the next 1-2 years.

Local HD News would be sweet.
post #563 of 770 Old 09-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

1. I thought with the FOX splicer system that the audio was automatically 5.1 surround. The HD signal on Bright House is 5.1, but I don't have a surround sound system.

2. Accordign to a coverage map I saw somewhere I don't remember, a purple grade signal from KBAK and KERO reach a few points in and around Barstow. An extremely dedicated DXer who lives in the right spot might be able to receive them. In theory the right antenna in the right spot in Barstow could pull in some stations from 3 markets: Los Angeles (which DMA Barstow is technically in), Bakersfield, and Las Vegas. If I owned the cable system in Barstow, I would do exactly that, although I assume I would have to enforce network and syndex blackouts on the Bakersfield and Las Vegas stations.

post #564 of 770 Old 09-23-2009, 07:56 AM

-The Splicer is 5.1 audio. So, yes, you should be hearing FOX HD in surround sound.

-As far as reach of signal to Bartsow, during the digital transition I had viewers call in from Victorville wanting to know if they would still get us. (I know Victorville is not Barstow but it does give a point of reference in distance) Previously they were able to get KBAK no problem, KERO occassionally and KGET never due to their position on Mt. Adelaide.
This is the main reason we are on Mt. Breckenridge, our location affords us the opportunity to reach more potential viewers than any other station.
post #565 of 770 Old 09-23-2009, 03:10 PM

Indeed! And it's snowy and cold up there. My backside hasn't been the same since that trip up in the snow cat!

32 Year Broadcast Technical Veteran with over ten years in DTV transmission and reception experience.
post #566 of 770 Old 09-23-2009, 04:20 PM

It is the only place in Kern County you can get fresh air as well. You get right above the brown haze.
post #567 of 770 Old 09-23-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:

It is the only place in Kern County you can get fresh air as well. You get right above the brown haze.

Yes but I have a soft spot for Bakersfield after spending a lot of time there over the years. Now Fresno... There's a toilet!

post #568 of 770 Old 09-27-2009, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the information on Barstow. Maybe some very high hills would have a shot. . Probably not worth the effort. Thank you very much!
post #569 of 770 Old 09-30-2009, 01:24 AM

Hey Bakersfield. I noticed that KBFX isn't getting stuck with the Rams/49ers game this Sunday unlike KMPH up here. Luckily for me, I can receive KBFX up here in Visalia.

KMPH and KGPE in Fresno broadcast every game that either involves the Raiders or the 49ers if it's on their networks. It sometimes stinks if a better game is on at the same time. It looks like KBAK and KBFX are good alternatives to those games.

Are there any NFL games with certain teams that KBAK and KBFX broadcast no matter what?
post #570 of 770 Old 09-30-2009, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie826 View Post

Hey Bakersfield. I noticed that KBFX isn't getting stuck with the Rams/49ers game this Sunday unlike KMPH up here. Luckily for me, I can receive KBFX up here in Visalia.

I'm not exactly thrilled about DAL@DEN either, but its definitely a better matchup than STL@SF!! Those are the only two games on this weekend in the afternoon slot.

http://the506.com/nflmaps/

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie826 View Post

Are there any NFL games with certain teams that KBAK and KBFX broadcast no matter what?

I don't think there are any that KBAK and KBFX most definitely show no matter what, but we usually end up getting a San Diego, San Francisco, Oakland, or Seattle game each week. I've also seen the Phoenix games, and then if one of those teams isn't playing we'll get whatever compelling matchup is out there.

I remember a time last two years ago during the Patriots run, where they met Indianapolis (my team) in week 9 when both teams were undefeated. The whole country wanted to watch that game. The only two games on in the 4:15pm slot were IND/NE and OAK/HOU, and the only two channels in the entire country showing that game were the one in Houston (required by law) and the one in Oakland. Everyone else voluntarily switched.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page