Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 774 Old 03-08-2006, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakoBull View Post

Do you guys know which software those SA boxes are using?

I've read that there are 2 software packages - SARA and Passport - with most people prefering the SARA software.

Just found this thread looking for the same info. I will check my box tonight to see if it's sara or passport.

Any other Bakersfield threads on here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 774 Old 03-27-2006, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Off subject for one sec. ....So Sorry for the loss of Buck Owens. I am in Radio & know he has 2-3 Radio stations in Bakersfield. Did he own a Television Station to in HD ?
post #153 of 774 Old 03-27-2006, 05:35 PM

He sold the TV station a few years ago. It is now a UPN station that broadcasts in digital but not HD.
post #154 of 774 Old 03-28-2006, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwls13 View Post

Just found this thread looking for the same info. I will check my box tonight to see if it's sara or passport.

I answered my own question, my box uses SARA.
post #155 of 774 Old 03-31-2006, 11:56 AM

Was just looking at antennaweb/org and next to KBFX it says "live date 05-06". Anyone have a guess as to what that means? Is it going to be sending out HD singnal in May?
post #156 of 774 Old 04-30-2006, 11:22 AM

Looking for a list of current OTA channels for the Bakersfield area, specifically the HD/Digital channels.
Thanks John
post #157 of 774 Old 05-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Looking for a list of current OTA channels for the Bakersfield area, specifically the HD/Digital channels.
Thanks John

17.1 NBC
23.1 ABC
26.1 Fox (Fresno)
29.1 CBS

58.1 is Fox in Bakersfield. It is digital, but does NOT broadcast in HD. I have an outdoor OTA antenna pointed directly at 26.1 in Fresno, and the Bakersfield stations still come in just fine (all stations are locked in at over 90%). Being in Porterville, it may be more difficult for you to pick up 26.1 and the Bakersfield stations with a single antenna (since they are probably in opposite directions).

Check out antennaweb.org to see what direction these stations are from you.
post #158 of 774 Old 05-01-2006, 04:22 PM

I can also occasionally pick up KVPT (PBS HD in Fresno at 18.2).
post #159 of 774 Old 05-02-2006, 01:40 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, for ABC i can't pickup 23.1 but i do get it on 10.3, also nothing on17.1, i'm currently running an antennasdirect.com DB8 OTA antenna with a Channel Master rotator on the roof. All the Fresno channels come in good except for ABC 30 HD, can't pick it up unless the weather is overcast and rainy also my HDTV is a 57" SONY with built in tuner.
John
post #160 of 774 Old 06-09-2006, 01:23 PM

HELLO BAKERSFIELD!!! anybody out there???
post #161 of 774 Old 06-16-2006, 12:46 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone having any problems with NBC 17.1? It is coming in fine when I plug my antenna directly into my tv (it has a built in tuner) However, I am not getting any picture on my Dish 942 DVR. The receiver says I am at "100%" but no picture or sound. After a few seconds, I get an error message that says I have lost the station. All the other locals (23.1, 29.1, 26.1) are coming just fine.

Any of you dish or direct customers having any problems?
post #162 of 774 Old 06-16-2006, 08:21 AM

No problems here with 17 lately either directly to TV or via my HR10-250.
post #163 of 774 Old 07-07-2006, 02:20 PM

no problems with 17 here either.
post #164 of 774 Old 07-13-2006, 02:34 PM
mgh

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I noticed today that the Bright House guide has put the premium hd channels in a new location. Does anyone know if it signifies any new hd? Actually it appears that they are duplicated in the 70's.

edited
post #165 of 774 Old 07-26-2006, 09:01 AM

What's up guys, I'm in the process of moving to bakersfield from Wasco and wanted some opinions on what is the best cable provider. Right now I have directv, its a long story but basiclly I'm putting my account in suspention while we get our house build. In the mean time we are renting a house off of snow and Jewtta in the NW, our new landlord will not allow us to put a dish on the house so we are down to the two cable companies. I do have hd and was wondering which one gives the best overall services. Any help would be greatlly appreciated thanks guys.

Sony KDF-E42A10
Sony NS70H
HDDirectv H20 Receiver
Yamaha YHT-160 Surround sound
post #166 of 774 Old 07-26-2006, 09:19 AM

I have Brighthouse/Roadrunner. I have been with them for over 6 years and I'm still happy with them. The HD service is good. Wish we had FOX HD, but I heard it is coming. Not sure what COX has for HD, you should go to www.mybrighthouse.com to get the channel lineup then compare it to COX. They both have high speed internet (if you are looking for that). Once you have the lineup, call them both and check prices and be sure to ask about specials. Once you have talked to both of them, decide which one is best for you and try to get the one you are going with to beat the other guys price.

I have been threatening to leave brighthouse for years, and each time I call them up (about twice a year) they lower my bill somehow, either to match a promotion that COX has or just to keep me.

Last I looked, I think COX had the best prices, but brighthouse service center is all local.

Also, I would definately recommend getting the DVR for like $8 a month. They have a HD/DVR box as well that doesn't cost anymore than the regular DVR.

One last thing to look out for with Brighthouse (not sure about COX) is that their internet is now multi-leveled. If you get their cheapest Broadband, it is quite a bit slower than their regular broadband. They also have a faster broadband, but I think it is overpriced.
post #167 of 774 Old 08-24-2006, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I've been getting only 4 channels OTA in Bakersfield, and one of them isn't ABC.

17-1 KGET-DT
29-1 KBAK-DT
45-1 KUVI-DT
58-2 KBFX-DT

Antennaweb says that KBAK-DT should be 33.1, and KBFX-DT 58-1. And I can't get ABC at all. I know its a VHF, but is it doesn't seem to want to come in at all. I get high signal strength on the other 4, though.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #168 of 774 Old 08-24-2006, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

ABC is 23.1. I could not get it with an indoor antenna. Since I went outdoors (and use an amplifier) I get all of Bakersfield digital chanells as well as Fox-Fresno (26.1), which is in glorious HD.

What kind of antenna are you using?
post #169 of 774 Old 08-26-2006, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I've got an indoor antenna, so I'm not too worried that I'm not getting ABC. You're saying I could possibly get ABC and Fox-Fresno with an outdoor? I'm in an apartment right now on the second floor, but I could possibly get into the attic (shh...) and put something up there. What do you reccommend as far as that?

post #170 of 774 Old 08-26-2006, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Higher and bigger is a good rule of thumb for antennas. And, outdoor is ALWAYS better than indoor. That being said, my antenna is a fairly small UHF directional antenna combined with a signal amplifier. I have it aimed directly at the Fox station in Fresno and the signal strength is 100%. The Bakersfield stations all come in at over 85%.

I bet you could get ABC from in the attic, but I doubt you could get Fox Fresno unless you went outdoors.

This seems to a be a highly regarded antenna (which would fit in the attic):

http://antennasdirect.com/DB4_HDTV_antenna.html
post #171 of 774 Old 09-05-2006, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Is BHN supporting all three major networks? I just got a mailer saying that they have 14 channels in HD on digital cable, CBS being one of them. Can anyone confirm? And does anyone know which HD channels BHN has on unencrypted QAM? I might have to pick up a digital tuner for my computer if I don't end up getting digital cable.

post #172 of 774 Old 09-05-2006, 07:07 PM
mgh

BHN does have CBS, NBC, and ABC in high definition. It doesn't have Fox yet.
post #173 of 774 Old 09-13-2006, 10:57 PM

I'm sitting back watching the local fox 58-2 when I see on my directv guide that at game time the seahawks and lions go HD. I freaked out. I was like yeah that's right it's about damn time. And then reality. SD damn that sucks. Thank goodness for sunday ticket superfan. I watched all the games and lost in my fantasy league by one stinking point. Thanks moss, thanks dunn for no td, thanks dallas d. Anyways any idea if 58-2 will ever decide to put out there own HD signal or just rely on sending over the sd from fresno.

late
post #174 of 774 Old 09-21-2006, 09:46 PM
mgh

Jollybear,
There may be technical and legal issues regarding Fox 58 and an HD signal. A previous poster said that FoxHD was coming, but who knows?

I noticed that TitanTv's website still lists KUVI 45 as having HD programming. They list it as 720p. Can anyone verify this? Has anyone successfully seen HD programming on this station?

In a perfect world, cable companies would be required to carry all local hd programming and local stations would have to provide it free of charge. IMHO

2 cents
post #175 of 774 Old 09-26-2006, 05:18 PM

Does KBAK cbs show alot of Raider games? Or are they in black out area?
post #176 of 774 Old 09-26-2006, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDdude24 View Post

Does KBAK cbs show alot of Raider games? Or are they in black out area?

The Raiders can be seen on the local high school football station . Sorry, could not resist...I am a die hard Charger fan.

In all seriousness, KBAK airs Charger games.
post #177 of 774 Old 10-03-2006, 07:00 PM

I noticed the other day that on bhn 12 the new CW info bar had an HD on the channel, but the show was not in HD. I knew it wouldnt be since bhn has all the HD programing together. I also noticed that NBC is the "parent of the CW" and that the screen showed CW 17.2 for over the air. Can anyone confirm the CW in HD on 17.2. the show I was watching was smallville witch is always in HD but not here. thanks
post #178 of 774 Old 10-10-2006, 10:07 AM

Hello. Like a lot of you I have been hating no local Fox HD programming here in Bakersfield. I read through the 6 pages of the various blogs on the subject. I decided to sign-up on this site just to post my letter and a reply I received from fancy Nancy at Brighthouse.

Hello,
I'm a loyal Brighthouse customer, and have been for many years. My monthly cable bill is roughly $150.00 a month (that's with no pay channels). I subscribe to the HD channels. I have 3 HD DVR's in my household. The new T.V. season, as well as football season is in full swing. It is inexcusable that there is still no HD FOX network available. Every time I call for some kind of update on when, and if this might occur, I'm given the same old, lame old excuse. We are currently in negotiations with those networks. Please fire your negotiator.

With very few exceptions, I watch strictly HD programming. The analog broadcasts look like crap on HDTV. You can keep about 69% of the channels you offer through your digital cable package. Does anyone really need 19 shopping channels? I don't speak spanish, so there goes another 27 you can keep. Add in the 33 News networks and, well you get the idea.

Add HD channels for, the CW, FOX, ESPN2, VRS., any sports in HD, and keep all the above mentioned lame ones. Add 5 and you take back 79. That sounds fair to me.
I will end this as I began. I'm a loyal Brighthouse customer. With all the HD choices these days, you make it tough to remain that way.

Please do not respond unless you're giving me a real update on when to expect more HD. Did I mention I pay $150.00 a month.

Thanks for your time, C.Minor

We are not in negotiations with Fox to bring an HD feed to town. We were in negotiations for some time with the local CBS affiliate but added that station to our lineup some time ago.
The reason there is no FOX HD Channel is because our local Fox affiliate does not have a feed to offer us at this time. Once the feed becomes available we will work to get it on the air. We are required by the FCC to carry the local stations only and cannot import the feed
of HD Fox from somewhere else. We look forward to being able to carry this station.

We have added HD programming and will continue to do so. I understand that once you have the HD TV it is superior to the analog set up but unfortunately there is not as much programming out there in HD as some would hope. We want to be sure as we add product that we add what we can for free (so as not to further increase your bills) and make sure what we add is quality programming that you will find useful. We have a very diverse group of customers from all walks of life and it is certainly hard to find a balance as to what one
person wants versus another.

We truly appreciate you business and look forward to continuing to be your entertainment provider. We will keep our customers posted as we add new products to our lineup.

Nancy
Bright House Networks
Customer Services
post #179 of 774 Old 10-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

GL17,

The lack of Fox HD in Bakersfield is the main reason why I decided to go with Dish Network and an OTA antenna for my HD programing. I have a relatively small UHF antenna on my roof (with an amplifier) aimed directly at 26.1 Fox in Fresno. It comes in at 96-100%. The remaining OTA HD stations (Bakersfield) come in at 85-90% (because the antenna is not aimed exactly at them). The bottom line is that I get perfect OTA HD for CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox. My dish HD-DVR works fine with these stations.

If you really want Fox in HD and you want DVR capabilties, the satellite/OTA combo is the only option right now. If you want to get Fox HD, without being able to DVR it, I would recomend using on OTA antenna and getting a realtively inexpensive OTA tuner for one of your televisions (unless you have a television with a built in OTA digital tuner).

FWIW, If I were you I would got with Dish Network. I would rent one HD-DVR from them and I would buy one or two HD-DVRS. I get their HD package (HDnet, HDnet movies, Discovery HD, ESPN HD, TNT HD, 10 "Voom" HD channels), HBO and Showtime HD, and a basic regular package (I watch almost exlusively HD as well ) I also rent an HD-DVR (which I feed two different monitors with) a standard HD box and a standard box from them. My monthly bill is $87.

Perhaps the best advatage of going OTA for my local HD channels is knowing (AND SEEING) that I am getting a COMPLETELY uncompressed digital signal.

In summary:

EASY SOLUTION: Install an OTA antenna for Fox HD in Fresno only and live without being able to record it.

BEST SOLUTION (IMHO): Go with Dish Network and an OTA antenna and dump Bright House.
post #180 of 774 Old 10-13-2006, 06:03 PM

I wonder why Bright House does not carry PBS in HD? They already carry KVPT so they should be able to add the HD feed. PBS has some great programing in HD.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page