Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 774 Old 10-17-2006, 06:14 PM
mgh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Article in the paper tuday says that Bright House will soon be the only cable provider in Bakersfield. Buying out the competition. Somehow don't think this will be a good thing. Hope I'm wrong. May try the Dish solution suggested by another poster if things don't improve in the next year.
post #183 of 774 Old 10-18-2006, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the advice Jefe. Do you have a suggestion where to buy and what brand of OTA antenna works best. Thanks again.
post #184 of 774 Old 10-18-2006, 02:13 PM

GL17 I would recommend www.antennasdirect.com, i'm using their DB8 antenna with excellent results, the DB4 is also a good one, I have my antenna mounted on the roof with an ChannelMaster rotator, living between Fresno and Bakersfield I get great OTA HD
post #185 of 774 Old 10-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL17 View Post

Thanks for the advice Jefe. Do you have a suggestion where to buy and what brand of OTA antenna works best. Thanks again.

That antenna that Malo83 mentioned is a very popular one. I use a Radio Shack UFH only, directional antenna (forget the model number) that is simular to the SR15 model at www.antennasdirect.com. I also use a signal amp. I would suggest looking for something simular at Radio Shack and giving it a try because they have a no questions asked 30 day return policy.

FWIW, I live in NW Bakersfild (close to Rosedale).

I just finished watching Game 6 of the NLCS in glorious HD .
post #186 of 774 Old 10-19-2006, 12:57 PM

Sorry jefe ,didn't mean to steal your post,scrolled back and saw your prior post
post #187 of 774 Old 10-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malo83 View Post

Sorry jefe ,didn't mean to steal your post,scrolled back and saw your prior post

LOL...no problema Malo

I'm sure GL17 is happy to get as much input as he can, and if you did not post, I probably would have failed to mention the antenna that you use (which is one of the most highly regarded ones out there).
post #188 of 774 Old 10-21-2006, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Jefe, what is the model of the amplifier that you are pairing your antenna with? How much did you pay for it? I've seen some amps, but they were either too much money or didn't look reliable.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #189 of 774 Old 10-21-2006, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Jefe, what is the model of the amplifier that you are pairing your antenna with? How much did you pay for it? I've seen some amps, but they were either too much money or didn't look reliable.

Sorry, I have no idea what the model # is. I got it at Radio Shack the same time I got the antenna. I know this much: I did not cost very much and it is very simple. It is two pieces. One piece connects inbetween the coax output of the antenna and your coax cable. The other piece connects at the end of the coax run and the words "power injector" are on it. One side of the "power injector" is labled "to antenna" and the other "to T.V. (in my case a DVR). In the middle of the "power injector" is where you plug in the AC adaptor to supply the "power". The entire "power injector" is only about 3" long, and it is gold (like alot of splitters you see).

I was very skeptical about it when I bought it, but it works like a charm. Without it 26.1 Fresno comes in around 70% with some drop outs . With it, the station come in at 95-100%.

I hope this helps
post #190 of 774 Old 11-10-2006, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Well I ended up biting the bullet and upgraded to the BHN digital cable package. OTA has been good to me, but I was missing out on the other choices in HD. I guess my only outage now is Fox, which I hope to fix by getting around to getting an amplifier. I can pick it up but its never strong enough to come in.

Now that I've got BHN, maybe they'll add some more channels?

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #191 of 774 Old 11-23-2006, 02:25 AM

I just moved to Bakersfield this past week. I decided that I'd get rid of satellite and get cable (several reasons. . . cable just seemed to offer more of what I wanted). When I called Brighthouse to order services, they said 'Oh yes, we have all the major networks in HD'. Of course, they don't. Now I'm faced with watching the football games broadcast on Fox in standard definition, something I'm not terribly happy about.

I'd like to receive Fox and PBS broadcasts in HD. The trouble is, I can't really put up a huge mast outside my apartment to grab the OTA signals from Fresno. Has anyone found luck with an indoor antenna in the Bakersfield area? I'm off California about 1/4 mile West of the freeway.

I also have a window in a second floor room with nothing of importance in it (read: an ugly antenna could be put there) with a direct view of the North. Looking out the window, the view to the North is more or less unobstructed.

I'm guessing the only way to get Fox is going to be with an antenna. It seems the same hold true for PBS. Any suggestions?
post #192 of 774 Old 11-23-2006, 07:54 AM
mgh

I've had some luck with the Silver Sensor antenna (Zenith, I think). I mount it on an old tripod and play with it until I find the "sweet" spot. I run it through an amplifier. It's been awhile since I've used it. (Bugs my wife when it drops the signal every once in awhile). BHN/TWC need to add ESPN2HD and NFL Network.
Don't hold your breath. I guess there are issues regarding FOX since 58 is a low-power repeater station. Write a letter to your legislator? Some people like the Dish/OTA fix. I do enjoy the BH HDDVR. Ramble ends.......
post #193 of 774 Old 12-08-2006, 10:43 AM
mgh

ZZZZZZZZZ

stretched reruns and CSI Miami HD marathon.

Some movies in hd and some not.

Anything to look forward to with this channel?
post #194 of 774 Old 12-11-2006, 02:14 PM

One of the worst HD channels that I have ever seen. A waste of bandwidth.
post #195 of 774 Old 12-23-2006, 11:40 AM

I am getting Dishnetwork DVR HD in 2 weeks, They said I will not receive local channels in HD, I am in the 93312 area. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good antenna, Indoor or out, Thanks
post #196 of 774 Old 12-23-2006, 11:49 AM
mgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBEN99 View Post

I am getting Dishnetwork DVR HD in 2 weeks, They said I will not receive local channels in HD, I am in the 93312 area. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good antenna, Indoor or out, Thanks

Hi,
Check the previous posts. You can also check at antennaweb.org (I think) for directions of signals. Also check the Fresno thread for more info.

Good luck!

mgh
post #197 of 774 Old 12-26-2006, 05:40 PM

I've got this antenna and added a pre-amp. http://www.antennasdirect.com/SR15_hdtv_antenna.html
Picks up all the local channels along with FOX HD in Fresno.
post #198 of 774 Old 01-09-2007, 09:52 PM

Just got my nice shiny new Sony SXRD HDTV. Very nice picture. However, after watching football games in High Def I can't stand watching them in SD.
I've had no luck in pulling in KERO-DT off the air using indoor antennas. Tried both a cheapo rabbit ears one and a silver-sensor. I live in SW Bako. I'm not clear on where it comes in... is it 10.1 over the air or is it 23.1? Are others having difficulty receiving KERO-DT?
I also contacted the general manager for KBAK/KBFX asking about FOX HD and he replied that they hope to get it on before the end of the year (2007). Yikes! Maybe more people need to complain directly to them.
post #199 of 774 Old 01-10-2007, 06:40 PM

I also cannot get Kero-DT off the air, I am using a lacrosse amplified outdoor antenna. I live in the Rosedale area. Panasonic plasma looks great in HD. I am also getting spoiled watching HD, does anybody know what is going on with Kero- HD.
post #200 of 774 Old 01-12-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeadams View Post

I've got this antenna and added a pre-amp.
Picks up all the local channels along with FOX HD in Fresno.

Are you pointing the SR15 at Fresno/Visalia and getting all Bakersfield local HD, including ABC-HD from KERO-DT's signal?
post #201 of 774 Old 01-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by de_runner View Post

Are you pointing the SR15 at Fresno/Visalia and getting all Bakersfield local HD, including ABC-HD from KERO-DT's signal?

I do with a very simular Radio Shack antenna .
post #202 of 774 Old 01-14-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe noche View Post

ABC is 23.1. I could not get it with an indoor antenna. Since I went outdoors (and use an amplifier) I get all of Bakersfield digital chanells as well as Fox-Fresno (26.1), which is in glorious HD.

What kind of antenna are you using?

Jefe Noche - I get 29.1, 17.1 in HD and had 23.1 locked in but it went away and I can't seem to get it back despite adding another 10 feet to the mast, turning antenna, etc. Please advise what type of amplifier you are using and what part of Bakersfield do you live in? Are you using a rotator to get 26.1 Fresno? The 58.2 is pretty poor compared to CBS, etc.

Thanks.

Hal Stewart
post #203 of 774 Old 01-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbsiii View Post

Jefe Noche - I get 29.1, 17.1 in HD and had 23.1 locked in but it went away and I can't seem to get it back despite adding another 10 feet to the mast, turning antenna, etc. Please advise what type of amplifier you are using and what part of Bakersfield do you live in? Are you using a rotator to get 26.1 Fresno? The 58.2 is pretty poor compared to CBS, etc.

Thanks.

Hal Stewart

I live in NW Bakersfield (behind Best Buy). I do not use a rotator. I have my directional antenna pointed directly at 26.1 in Fresno. The amplifier I am using is two piece. One piece connects to the antenna. The second piece is a "power injector". It is worth noting that my signal strenth of 23.1 is the lowest (high 70s). All other stations are 85+.
post #204 of 774 Old 01-15-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbsiii View Post

Thanks.

Hal Stewart

If I move my indoor antenna close to a window I am able to receive KERO-DT at 10.3. If you are not getting the signal at 23.1 try 10.3. I;ve got no clue why it comes in at that frequency/channel.

58.2 does not broadcast anything in high def although there's plenty of HD programming from FOX, like NFC football, 24, to name just a couple. KBFX is owned by Westwind Communications (also owns KBAK) who has chosen to NOT to provide FOX-HD programming to Bakersfield.
post #205 of 774 Old 01-15-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:

58.2 does not broadcast anything in high def although there's plenty of HD programming from FOX, like NFC football, 24, to name just a couple. KBFX is owned by Westwind Communications (also owns KBAK) who has chosen to NOT to provide FOX-HD programming to Bakersfield.

That is actually an incorrect statement. KBFX was a low power rebroadcast of KMPH in Visalia. Westwind bought the rights and have taken over broadcasting the signal. When the frequencies were assigned for digital stations the government did not assign any to the LP stations. Currently Westwind is piggybacking the digital signal for KBFX on KBAK-2. They do not have enough bandwidth to send two HD signals. Once the government assigns them a frequency for KBFX they will have enough bandwidth.

Most of this discussion is on this thread if you look back through it.
post #206 of 774 Old 01-18-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbelmont View Post

That is actually an incorrect statement. KBFX was a low power rebroadcast of KMPH in Visalia. Westwind bought the rights and have taken over broadcasting the signal. When the frequencies were assigned for digital stations the government did not assign any to the LP stations. Currently Westwind is piggybacking the digital signal for KBFX on KBAK-2. They do not have enough bandwidth to send two HD signals. Once the government assigns them a frequency for KBFX they will have enough bandwidth.

I'm not sure this makes sense to me. If Westwind piggybacks onto KBAK to provide the signal for KBFX and the feds havn't provided a frequency HOW do they broadcast at 58.2 instead of 29.2?

Whatever the issue is I know that FOX-HD programming is not available OTA in Bakersfield unless you have a large outdoor antenna and pull it in from Visalia. It seems reasonable to me that KBFX (Westwind) should provide waivers to Bakersfield residents to allow them to have an alternate available. With a waiver I could get the west coast FOX-HD feed through DirecTV.
post #207 of 774 Old 01-18-2007, 02:19 PM

Is anyone currently receiving KERO DTV OTA at 23.1 or 10.3? I have lost their signal over the past several days Thanks.
post #208 of 774 Old 01-18-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeadams View Post

Is anyone currently receiving KERO DTV OTA at 23.1 or 10.3? I have lost their signal over the past several days Thanks.

I was able to receive KERO-DT last night (Wednesday Jan 17) on 10.3.
post #209 of 774 Old 01-18-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure this makes sense to me. If Westwind piggybacks onto KBAK to provide the signal for KBFX and the feds havn't provided a frequency HOW do they broadcast at 58.2 instead of 29.2?

It actually is 29.2 but they trick the system into thinking it is 58.2 for display purposes. They tried making it 58.1 but the systems would confuse the sub-channels and show the same signal on both.

Believe me, they want to get the HD signal out there for FOX but are waiting on the government. There engineer has also asked for the equipment to send out the DD5.1 signal is waiting to see if it gets budgeted this year.
post #210 of 774 Old 01-18-2007, 08:02 PM
mgh

Thanks for the info regarding FoxHD. Is there any government official or entity that the consumer can contact to expedite the process?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page