Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 770 Old 01-19-2007, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe noche View Post

I live in NW Bakersfield (behind Best Buy). I do not use a rotator. I have my directional antenna pointed directly at 26.1 in Fresno. The amplifier I am using is two piece. One piece connects to the antenna. The second piece is a "power injector". It is worth noting that my signal strenth of 23.1 is the lowest (high 70s). All other stations are 85+.

Jefe & Other Commenters - Thanks for the info. I ordered a Terrestrial brand pre-amp booster and it is supposed to be here Monday. I noted when 23.1 won't work and I could do diagnostics on the channel it was 87%. Let's hope this works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 770 Old 01-19-2007, 11:13 AM

Re Directv Receivers - Has anyone seen an improvement in standard tv on directv by changing to the HD receiver or HD DVR Plus and using a HDMI cable from the receiver to the HDTV? Also, how is Directv's HD compared to OTA in Bakersfield?

Thanks.
post #213 of 770 Old 01-19-2007, 07:17 PM

I sent the chief engineer of KERO an e-mail asking why their signal went from 23.1 to 10.3. My Sony set would not find 10.3 while auto searching. Hopefully they will change it back next week.
post #214 of 770 Old 01-20-2007, 02:57 PM

Hey guys, I'm using a Clear-QAM tuner to receive HD programming over my standard cable system suddenlink (cox) but I can only receive 3 networks.

17.1 - NBC
29.1 - CBS
108.1 - ABC

I know that most of you are using external antennas but do you know if any other channels are being broadcasted on unusual call numbers (like ABC)?
Antenna web told me that ABC should be on 10.1 but its not via sudden link.

Thanks much
post #215 of 770 Old 01-22-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeadams View Post

I sent the chief engineer of KERO an e-mail asking why their signal went from 23.1 to 10.3. My Sony set would not find 10.3 while auto searching. Hopefully they will change it back next week.

I installed the Terrestrial Digital PA 18 preamp booster on a DB4 antenna about 18' off of the ground. Now we are getting 25.3 as well as 17.1 for local NBC, 29.1 for CBS, 58.2 for Fox (480i only). I left a voice mail with KERO to get back to me regarding the lack of 23.1 for HDTV.

KCET looks a little better and there are some other analog channels I picked that are very poor.

Prior to adding the preamp booster I put the antenna up close to 30' in the air as a test with no change in 23.1.

Anyone having any luck with KERO HDTV?

Thanks in advance.
post #216 of 770 Old 01-22-2007, 03:45 PM

deadtoaster 2 - cable companies can broadcast channels on whatever frequencies they want. No correlation with OTA signals. IF you want more HD channels then you have to pay.
hbsiii - My Sony TV also would not pick up 10.3 when trying to auto search. It was their however when I directly imputed the channel on the remote.

This is probably old news; according to BHN INHD is only broadcasting on one channel (60)
post #217 of 770 Old 01-22-2007, 04:41 PM
mgh

This is probably old news; according to BHN INHD is only broadcasting on one channel (60) [/quote]

But now you've got A&E HD woo-hoo! not! LOL

I put up a new antenna yesterday and was able to watch the Bears-Saints in glorious HD. However no other channels came in very well. But when I was testing it, I did get KERO very well at one position. I use BHN for local HD besides Fox. The HDDVR is a killer app. The antenna was about 15' off the ground and reversed pointed north to get FoxHD. Bought it for $40+ on ebay shipped. Seems to have its own amplifier, but the instructions were in Spanish. However it does have a remote to rotate the antenna.
post #218 of 770 Old 01-23-2007, 09:23 AM

Re - Channels 23.1 and 26.1. I tried turning the antenna to the north to see if I could get 26.1 and that was a no-go. In my attempt to get 26.1 I picked up 23.1. Kero staff had suggested to turning the antenna to the north or south may pick up 23.1. As I turned the antenna back toward correct gps for their transmitter we lost picture. We do have a two story house next door about 100 feet from the antenna and about the same height. The KERO staff suggested the house may be causing some reflection of the signal. It seems with the pre-amp and turning the antenna more towards the north we now have all the local HDTV channels. (17.1, 23.1, 29.1) For some reason we also 25.3 which is a duplicate of 17.1).
post #219 of 770 Old 01-23-2007, 10:51 AM

hbsiii - KERO has also returned for me at 23.1 I made no adjustments to my antenna. I think that they probably had a problem and just did not want to admit it. Off all the local stations KERO has the worst digital service. Over the past 2 years I've had to call them on the phone at least 6 times and get them to switch the HD signal on for Desperate Housewives.
post #220 of 770 Old 01-23-2007, 11:41 AM

hey guys,
got all ota channels except kget 17.1 as of yesterday. Anyone else experiencing the same things?
post #221 of 770 Old 01-23-2007, 11:48 AM

here's more info on my problem: can't get CW 17.2 either even though the signal meter showed 98%. Can it be multipath issue? Thanks ahead for any suggestions.
post #222 of 770 Old 01-24-2007, 06:18 PM

Here is the response from TV 23: We reset our PSIP last Friday morning and have checked it again this week and all appears OK. I have scanned two HDTV sets here at the studio and both call up our DTV channel as 23.1. As to why your getting it on 10.3 I have no ideal. DTV channel numbers are mapped in the DTV encoder as primay (23) and minor (1). 23 is required by the FCC so the DTV channel is branded to the analog channel. When we first went on the air with our DTV channel in 2002 it was branded as 10.1 and we will probably go back to it after Feb. 2009 when full power analog is shut down. If I can be of any further help let me know.

Tom Wimberly
Chief Engineer
KERO-TV
post #223 of 770 Old 01-25-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeadams View Post

Here is the response from TV 23: We reset our PSIP last Friday morning and have checked it again this week and all appears OK. I have scanned two HDTV sets here at the studio and both call up our DTV channel as 23.1. As to why your getting it on 10.3 I have no ideal. DTV channel numbers are mapped in the DTV encoder as primay (23) and minor (1). 23 is required by the FCC so the DTV channel is branded to the analog channel. When we first went on the air with our DTV channel in 2002 it was branded as 10.1 and we will probably go back to it after Feb. 2009 when full power analog is shut down. If I can be of any further help let me know.

Tom Wimberly
Chief Engineer
KERO-TV

I just checked reception on my Sony KDS-R60XBR2 set with OTA antenna direct into the set. Using the Sony built-in tuner I receive KERO-DT at 10.3
However, when I feed the OTA antenna input directly into the HR20 DirecTV receiver the signal shows up at 23-1. Obviously there are differences depending on which tuner is used. Don't know why but there it is.
post #224 of 770 Old 01-25-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbsiii View Post

Re Directv Receivers - Has anyone seen an improvement in standard tv on directv by changing to the HD receiver or HD DVR Plus and using a HDMI cable from the receiver to the HDTV? Also, how is Directv's HD compared to OTA in Bakersfield?

Thanks.

I have an OTA antenna feed into my DirecTV HR20 (HD-DVR) receiver. The image quality is the same as when I use a direct OTA antenna feed into the Sony HDTV set. I'm using a HDMI cable to connect from the receiver to the set. I may be splitting hairs here but it appears the OTA signal gives a very slightly better image than from HD through the satellite feed. This is a little bit apples and oranges because I can't get any local HD over the satellite so I can't directly compare say, for example, NBC in HD from OTA versus satellite. It just seems the OTA digital signal in HD gives a little sharper image.

Of course any HD (OTA or satellite) is a huge improvement over SD. I don't see much improvement in the SD display from OTA versus from SD from satellite. They are pretty much the same.

Hope this helps
post #225 of 770 Old 02-05-2007, 04:11 PM
mgh

BHN recently added the public station out of Fresno to its HDTV package. I had a cordial reply from Nancy at BHN about my request to add ESPNHD2. However nothing was promised other than to "save our customers money" (paraphrase).
post #226 of 770 Old 02-19-2007, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
They can add PBS to the BHN lineup, but not FOX KMPH?

I may be a little behind in my info, but is the local Fox 58 still shooting for HD by the end of the year? Fox has Super Bowl XLII ;-)

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #227 of 770 Old 02-20-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

They can add PBS to the BHN lineup, but not FOX KMPH?

I may be a little behind in my info, but is the local Fox 58 still shooting for HD by the end of the year? Fox has Super Bowl XLII ;-)

I received an email from the general manager of KBFX saying they "hope to be broadcasting in HD by the end of the year".
post #228 of 770 Old 03-21-2007, 03:31 PM

I just had brighthouse install my hd cable box. I had HBO, SHOW etc so I believe I am supposed to be getting the HD HBO and SHOW channels as well. I get the SHOW channels, but the HBO channels have nothing on, it is just a blank channel. Does anyone know if this is the cabel box, or is it something with the service? Thank you for any information.
post #229 of 770 Old 03-21-2007, 03:42 PM
mgh

Call customer service or reboot. (shut the power off for a few minutes)

good luck
post #230 of 770 Old 03-22-2007, 12:47 PM

I called customer service and they rebooted my cable box. Nothing happened, they are sending a cable guy out tomorrow, hopefully he will be able to find out what is going on. Will post results incase anyone else has a similar problem.
post #231 of 770 Old 04-03-2007, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Check out channel 65 on BHN. ESPN2HD!!
Now if we can get Fox HD the lineup will be just about complete.
post #232 of 770 Old 04-04-2007, 09:23 AM
mgh

ESPNHD2 is a great addition to the BHN line-up. That should keep me with them for awhile especially if FoxHD comes on board any time remotely soon. I was reading in another forum that the deal may include Disney HD in 2008 and ESPNU as well as Disney on demand. Considering all the "HDLite" complaints from the satellite subscribers, I'm happy to be receiving high quality signals from BHN.
post #233 of 770 Old 04-14-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh View Post

ESPNHD2 is a great addition to the BHN line-up. That should keep me with them for awhile especially if FoxHD comes on board any time remotely soon. I was reading in another forum that the deal may include Disney HD in 2008 and ESPNU as well as Disney on demand. Considering all the "HDLite" complaints from the satellite subscribers, I'm happy to be receiving high quality signals from BHN.

Not sure what you mean by HDLite. I've been getting ESPN2 in HD for quite a while. What does BHN offer that DirecTV doesn't have? I get all the locals over the air.

You're right about FOXHD. Not sure why FOX has allowed the local owner to drag their feet especially since they have been broadcasting CBSHD for quite a while. I encourage everyone to contact KBFX and complain. The Angels and Red sox were on this afternoon but not in HD in Bako, thanks a lot KBFX!
post #234 of 770 Old 04-14-2007, 06:21 PM
mgh

de
I don't mean to criticize D as I've thought of subscribing myself at times. If you peruse the HDTV Programming Forum, you'll find many posts regarding "hdlite" on D. Apparently the bandwidth is typically cut way back. It seems like all of the Bright House hd signals are nice and strong. No offense intended. Hopefully when they get all of their satellites up and adjusted, those problems will disappear. I'm glad that you're not having any problems.

have a good one!

mh
post #235 of 770 Old 04-15-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh View Post

de
No offense intended. Hopefully when they get all of their satellites up and adjusted, those problems will disappear. I'm glad that you're not having any problems.

have a good one!

mh

Thanks mh,

My experience with DTV has been good. Their current available bandwidth, as I understand it, is maxed out but there are no weak signals. According to information I have seen they are planning on putting up two new satellites this year, and will be expanding their HD lineup to around 100 channels.

The only advantage, as I see it, to having BHN is that they offer the local channels with an HD feed and a couple of LA stations with SD feed. I currently continue to have "lifeline" service from BHN so I can pick the occasional Dodger or Angel game from LA when it is not available on FSN or ESPN. They charge me $12 a month to provide channels 1 -25 on their analog service, which includes LA channels on 5, 9, 11, and 13. I've debated with myself over dropping this lifeline service and save the money but I like having it available.

Hope this info helps.
post #236 of 770 Old 04-21-2007, 11:06 AM

what's up guys, had a couple of questions what is the best way to get Local hd chan. with DTV.

Sony KDF-E42A10
Sony NS70H
HDDirectv H20 Receiver
Yamaha YHT-160 Surround sound
post #237 of 770 Old 04-21-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakyblack View Post

what's up guys, had a couple of questions what is the best way to get Local hd chan. with DTV.

You should be able to get local HD signals by using an OTA "rabbit ears" type of indoor antenna and feed into either the DTV HD receiver input for external antenna or directly into your TV which should have an input for an external antenna also.

I have one plugged into my set and I can pick up the local digital HD signal for KGET and KBAK with no problem. The signal for KERO is a little more difficult for me but I can get it if I put the indoor antenna near a window facing out to the east- northeast. There is NO HD signal for FOX from KBFX although they have a digital signal.

If you find that an indoor antenna doesn't work you may need to go to an outdoor antenna for the feed.

try www.antennaweb.org which has good info including a calculator that shows available signals and direction for OTA antennas.
post #238 of 770 Old 05-22-2007, 05:14 PM

Hey guys,

Just a couple of questions:

1. Are you guys on a Moto or SA headend?

2. Are you guys satisfied with BHN?

I use to live in Delano, BHN was not their at the time. Now I live in SoCal and I'm with BHN's parent company TWC(as a byproduct of Adelphia) and they SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #239 of 770 Old 05-27-2007, 10:08 AM

Starting Friday night we quick getting channel 23 on the DirecTV Tivo. When I check the channel signal it is fine, but being reported as 10-3 instead of 10-1 and there is no name assigned. The TV's OTA tuner is picking it up fine. Seems to me they started broadcasting a snother sub-channel and the information is being embedded incorrectly confusing the Tivo as to what is the main channel.

Any one else having this issue?
post #240 of 770 Old 05-28-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbelmont View Post

Starting Friday night we quick getting channel 23 on the DirecTV Tivo. When I check the channel signal it is fine, but being reported as 10-3 instead of 10-1 and there is no name assigned. The TV's OTA tuner is picking it up fine. Seems to me they started broadcasting a snother sub-channel and the information is being embedded incorrectly confusing the Tivo as to what is the main channel.

Any one else having this issue?

I was unable to receive KERO's digital signal over the weekend. This included 23-1 on the DTV receiver and 10.3 from the OTA input on the sets tuner. Today (Monday) everything seems to be back to "normal". Too bad we couldn't watch the Indy 500 in HD but we're at the convenience of the local broadcasters.

I sent an email to KERO asking them if they were having a problem but got NO response as of yet (Monday night).
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page