Bakersfield, CA - HDTV - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 774 Old 05-29-2007, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As of last night it looks like they have the issue fixed. One thing that always seems to interest me on the local stations is how during their prime viewing hours, at night during the week and on the weekend, you can not get in touch with anyone if they are having an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 774 Old 05-29-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by de_runner View Post

I sent an email to KERO asking them if they were having a problem but got NO response as of yet (Monday night).

Here is the reply I received today:

Yes, we had an error. We believe it is traceable to a power outage we
suffered here at the station last Friday. We thought everything was
fine, but have discovered a problem with one of our HD encoders and
associated equipment. We have fixed this equipment, and things should
be back to normal.

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. Craig Jahelka
post #243 of 774 Old 05-31-2007, 04:15 PM

In today's Bakersfield Californian BrightHouse cable has announced that they will no longer carry KVPT in HD (ch49) as of June 30th. I think that PBS in HD is one of the best channels that BrightHouse offers. If your want to keep PBS in HD please fire off an e-mail and voice your support. Thanks.
bakersfield.customercare@mybrighthouse.com
and http://www.kvpt.org/contact/index.php
post #244 of 774 Old 07-08-2007, 03:23 PM

Has anyone received any up-to-date info as to when KBFX will broadcast HD?

There's an awful lot of FOXHD programming, especially sports programming, that is unavailable to anyone in the Bakersfield area. This includes ALL cable and satellite subscribers. Westwind Communications LLC does NOT grant waivers as far as I know. I tried and they said NO.

No MLB All-Star game in HD. NO World Series in HD. NO Super Bowl in HD. If you live in Fresno you get it but not in Bakersfield. What's holding Westwind up?
post #245 of 774 Old 07-08-2007, 04:54 PM
mgh

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey de,

If you go back through the previous pages you'll find related comments to FoxHD.
My TV life would be semi-complete with FoxHd on Bright House.

I do occasionally use on OTA antenna to pull in some shows. That doesn't work for everyone. And no DVR that way for me.

I'm with you in wanting it though.

mgh
post #246 of 774 Old 07-08-2007, 04:58 PM
mgh

Oops de!
Your post on page 8 was the most encouraging one that I've seen.
End of the year is better than never.
post #247 of 774 Old 07-08-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh View Post

Hey de,

If you go back through the previous pages you'll find related comments to FoxHD.
My TV life would be semi-complete with FoxHd on Bright House.

I do occasionally use on OTA antenna to pull in some shows. That doesn't work for everyone. And no DVR that way for me.

I'm with you in wanting it though.

mgh

mgh,

KBFX has a broadcast signal so anyone should be able to pick that up with an antenna. Of course, their feed is also available through BHN, DirecTV, and DISH. The problem is they don't have a HD broadcast, and, due to FCC rules, no one is allowed to receive an alternate FOXHD feed without their permission. For example, DirecTV carries a feed from the LA FOX network station. All DirecTV needs is a waiver from the local FOX affliate to turn it on for any subscriber.

It's pretty frustrating that an a major network broadcast in HD is NOT available only because the local station can't or won't provide it, and WILL NOT grant waivers so that the local viewer can receive from an alternate source. I believe the FCC rules protecting the local broadcasters were not put in place with this situation in mind, i.e., denying the consumer a service NOT available from the local broadcaster.
post #248 of 774 Old 07-08-2007, 10:44 PM
mgh

de,
I'm sorry that I wasn't more specific. When I do the OTA thing it's to get the Fresno/Visalia
Fox HD station, KMPH.
The rules you mention should work both ways. HD should be mandatory for networks that carry HD with no extra cost to the cable company or extra charges to the customer. Must carry rules should be fair to all concerned. Local broadcasters who don't want to get with the program shouldn't have a choice about allowing alternatives. You know that if alternatives were allowed, they (the locals) would be hd in weeks. IMHO
post #249 of 774 Old 07-17-2007, 11:37 AM

Anybody hear anything new on what's going on with Fox? It sure would be nice for them to be in HD by the World Series? - it sucked missing out on the All-Star game!
post #250 of 774 Old 07-20-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgreek View Post

Anybody hear anything new on what's going on with Fox? It sure would be nice for them to be in HD by the World Series? - it sucked missing out on the All-Star game!

Westwind Communications LLC owns the local FOX station (KBFX). You might try contacting them and see what they say. I'm pretty sure there is no hope of having FOXHD broadcast in the Bakersfield market of the World Series or Super Bowl.
post #251 of 774 Old 07-28-2007, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Send an email to the GM at Westwind and let him know that we want Fox HD in our area.
wwl@westwindtv.com
post #252 of 774 Old 07-29-2007, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshowers View Post

Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Send an email to the GM at Westwind and let him know that we want Fox HD in our area.
wwl@westwindtv.com

I emailed the GM at KBFX (Westwind) a while back and got a response that they "hope to be broadcasting in HD by year's end". It won't hurt for as many people as possible to contact him and ask, but I'm guessing there are technical and financial hurdles that Westwind cannot quickly overcome.

According to some info I've seen in this forum part of the problem is KBFX has not been assigned it's own frequency by the FCC. They broadcast by "piggybacking" (whatever or however that's done) onto the KBAK frequency, the CBS station that they also own. KBFX has only been granted a "LP" transmitter license by the FCC and presumably Westwind is waiting to be granted another frequency which will allow them to broadcast KBFX in HD. Broadcasting in HD also requires an investment in new equipment, something that Westwind may not be able to afford.

Thinking that government is part of what's holding this up I've even sent an email to our local congressman Kevin McCarthy six weeks ago asking him if there is anything he can do. I've yet to get a response from him. I guess he's focused on other more important constituents.

I requested a waiver from Westwind which would allow me to get the west coast feed for FoxHD through DirecTV. Predictably, they denied the request. I believe I have no other options unless I can put up a large outdoor antenna and pull in FoxHD on KMPH in Fresno. It would seem that Westwind would be motivated to get KBFX broadcasting in HD to preserve their customer base to prevent this from happening.

Sorry for the long rant here but the gist of all this is.... World Series in HD?...not likely.....Super Bowl in HD?....not likely... unless you live just about anywhere but Bako. I believe I saw a statistic that 87% of the total market has FOXHD available to them. I guess Bako is in the 13% left out.
post #253 of 774 Old 08-07-2007, 12:07 PM

Here was the headlines on the news last night. I am guessing that this means that NOTHING will be done to move FOX along to HD any time this year. I would assume that they are in a "lame duck" period now and we wont be able to expect any progress until the new owners take over early next year.

Just made a bad situation even worse for the short term - but hopefully this is a good thing in the long run.
post #254 of 774 Old 08-31-2007, 10:20 PM
mgh

I just noticed this addition today. I'm not sure that there is much that "demands" my attention in its offerings.

Also, it looks like they added ESPNU which could greatly increase the college sports offerings.
post #255 of 774 Old 09-09-2007, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Well, its opening day of the NFL and we still don't have Fox HD. I tried busting out the antenna, but still no luck picking up the signal from Fresno.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #256 of 774 Old 09-09-2007, 09:41 PM

dont worry about not being able to get the fresno signal today. they were not broadcasting in HD for what ever reason. but it was cool to have 2 different games to watch at the same time. Ok vs DET and SD vs CHi
post #257 of 774 Old 09-18-2007, 08:26 PM
mgh

I haven't been getting as good a signal as last year with FoxHD out of the north. My wife can't take the sputters and artifacts when the signal is in and out. It is very unfair that stations without an HD signal even have the right to deny waivers. It's really not the same experience. I don't have D but will be watching with interest as they add new HD channels.
post #258 of 774 Old 09-20-2007, 07:08 PM
mgh

TBS HD on Bright House today 9/20/07
Showing old Friends episode when I tuned in; didn't look too sharp (probably SD wide). I'm not sure where to locate a schedule. Right now BHN doesn't have program info for the channel in their guide.
post #259 of 774 Old 09-24-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:

I haven't been getting as good a signal as last year with FoxHD out of the north. My wife can't take the sputters and artifacts when the signal is in and out. It is very unfair that stations without an HD signal even have the right to deny waivers. It's really not the same experience. I don't have D but will be watching with interest as they add new HD channels.

DirecTV will not be able to offer FoxHD until the local station (KBFX) upgrades and starts broadcasting in HD. Unfortunately everyone who lives in Bakersfield will NOT be receiving FoxHD until that happens, or the local station grants waivers. Westwind Communications LLC currently owns KBFX and they have denied my request for a waiver twice. Westwind has sold KBFX to another company which will take over in January. It's almost 100 percent certain that the new owners will NOT have HD in time for the Super Bowl.

Of course this is bad news but that is the reality. All we can do is write to our local congressional representatives to change the FCC rules which grants exclusive domain of a local station even though they do NOT offer the HD product.
post #260 of 774 Old 09-24-2007, 03:00 PM

What are the channels for KBAK, KGET and KERO through Brighthouse Networks cable?

I currently have three HDTV's in my house and two of them have the HD-DVR which has the above HD channels at 43, 47 and 48.

My new bedroom HDTV (with tuner built in) is all setup, but I'm not sure if I am getting the HD versions of the above networks through my cable hookup. I called Brighthouse, they confirmed the above networks but she didn't know the channels they were on.

I did notice some .1 channels when setting up the TV this weekend, but I haven't had a chance to really mess with it.

Please help....SD Tv looks like crap!
post #261 of 774 Old 09-24-2007, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwls13 View Post

What are the channels for KBAK, KGET and KERO through Brighthouse Networks cable?

I don't have a QAM tuner on my TV, but I believe my HDTV tuner card in my computer was pulling CBS and NBC in on 1.1 and 1.2. ABC, I can't recall off the top of my head. But you are correct, the HD versions will be on the digital subchannels.

post #262 of 774 Old 09-24-2007, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

TBS HD on Bright House today 9/20/07
Showing old Friends episode when I tuned in; didn't look too sharp (probably SD wide). I'm not sure where to locate a schedule. Right now BHN doesn't have program info for the channel in their guide.

What channel number was this on? I didn't notice TBS HD this weekend being in the lineup, at least not in the 43-68 range.

post #263 of 774 Old 10-07-2007, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

What channel number was this on? I didn't notice TBS HD this weekend being in the lineup, at least not in the 43-68 range.

Added earlier this week as far as I can tell, TBS HD on channel 53.

post #264 of 774 Old 10-08-2007, 04:42 PM

I've finished installing an OTA antenna and can now receive all the locals PLUS KMGH (Fresno/Visalia). This is good news (at least for me) because I'll be watching the World Series in HD.

The antenna is an CM4228 and I have a Spartan 3 amplifier on the mast. Works pretty well except it does not pull in local KERO-DT. They broadcast their DT signal over 10.3 which means VHF. I added an simple pair of rabbit ears to the mast and ran the lead into the Spartan 3 which has a connector for VHF. Bingo! That works great.

Not sure I'll ever tune into KBFX again.
post #265 of 774 Old 10-08-2007, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

List of clear QAM channels on Bright House:

High Definition:
43.1 virtual, RF 79.1 KGET NBC 17
46.1 virtual, RF 76.1 KBFX Fox 58
47.1 virtual, RF 85.1 KBAK CBS 29
48.2 virtual, RF 79.2 KERO ABC 23
49.2 virtual, RF 85.2 PBS HD channel via KVPT 18 Fresno

Standard Definition formerly available but scrambled as of 10-29-07
92.1 KERO ABC 23
92.2 a preview channel (endless loop)
100.1 KUVI My 45
100.2 KTLA 5 LA/KNBC 4 LA
111.1 KBAK CBS 29
113.1 KGET NBC 17
113.2 KCAL 9 LA
116.1 KBFX Fox 58
116.2 KABC 7 LA

I talked to one of their employees at their booth at the Kern County Fair. He said that analog cable service will be around for a while after 2-18-09, but eventually the system will go digital only, and at that time all channels above the limited basic tier will be scrambled. I got into an argument about this. As I told him, I have a prejudice against converter boxes and have a huge preference to use cable ready tvs to tune all channels. Lots of tvs are being sold now that have clear QAM tuners, but only a few monster bigscreens have cableCARD slots. He said that when the system goes digital only, I will have to either get a converter box or downgrade to limited basic. From everything I have read on the internet, this seems to be the plans of every cable system in America.

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
post #266 of 774 Old 10-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

As for over the air digital reception, I bought a cheap 13 inch Durabrand standard definition monaural tube tv with ATSC/QAM tuner at Walmart. I bought this tv to use outdoors a few hours per week at most, therefore I looked for the cheapest tv I could find that has a digital tuner. If everything I am going to watch is on local stations, I just use a pair of rabbit ears for OTA reception. If I want to watch something on cable, I connect an extention cable to the tv. (I obviously bring the tv inside when not using it). When watching OTA, I always tune to the digital signals. With a simple pair of rabbit ears, I get excellent reception of all local digital channels (yes, rabbit ears work better for me for UHF channels than those stupid loop antennas). I live in Oildale, and have other houses and trees blocking a direct line of sight to Mt. Breckenridge and Mt. Adelaide. Even in standard definition on a tube tv, digital signals give a better picture and sound than analog signals.

In the house I always use cable. I have a 20 inch Vizio HDTV and several analog tvs. I might replace the analog tvs when Bright House drops analog service, but from what I was told I will need a box anyway to get channels on expanded basic at that time. Then again, I might drop expanded basic at that time and just get limited basic.

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
post #267 of 774 Old 10-09-2007, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

In addition to TBS HD on 53, I noticed this evening that History Channel HD has been added on channel 52.

BHN Digital Cable HD lineup:

43 KGET (NBC)
47 KBAK (CBS)
48 KERO (ABC)
49 KVPT (PBS)
52 History Channel HD
53 TBS HD
54 A&E HD
55 TNT HD
56 Discovery HD
59 HD Special Events
60 Mojo
62 HDNet
63 HDNet 2
65 ESPN HD
65 ESPN2 HD
66 Universal HD

70 HBO HD West
71 HBO HD East
72 Showtime HD West
73 Showtime HD East
78 HD Video On Demand
79 HD Movies On Demand

post #268 of 774 Old 10-11-2007, 04:57 PM

I've been bounced around between Cox -> Suddenlink -> BHN the past few months, using limited basic but still picking up the HD locals stuff with the QAM.
It is about time for me to pony up and pick some quality package to utilize my system. What is everyone's thoughts on BHN/Dish/DirectTV? I have internet through BHN/Roadrunner (from Cox-Suddenlink to Roadrunner) so there is some incentive to go BHN due to the package deals. Does anyone with BHN have digital phone through them? I have heard service is intermittent and choppy. I've been leaning towards Dish or DirectTv for the increased HD channels.
Any input would be quite helpful.

Thanks
post #269 of 774 Old 10-14-2007, 04:48 PM

I've been using DirecTV for the last 5 years. I originally chose it because of Sunday Ticket, a package which NO other service offers. DirecTV is, in general, the best if you want sports offerings. They are currently expanding their HD lineup and I believe it offers more in that arena also.

In the time I have had DirecTV I've had service interruptions only two or three times. The interruptions lasted only a minute or so. I have not seen any interruptions due to weather to speak of. The tech service used to be better but is still okay. I've had to research a couple of my own problems, the most recent to try and understand what was needed to receive HD on the Fox network. I finally settled on an OTA antenna which receives the signal from Fresno/Visalia (KMPH). No cable or satellite provider in Bakersfield can offer Fox HD because they are required to offer the local station (KBFX) which does NOT have HD. I have twice requested a waiver from KBFX to allow DirecTV to provide with the west coast feed for Fox HD but the requests were denied.

Hope this info helps.
post #270 of 774 Old 10-15-2007, 05:35 PM

I have been a Directv customer since 2003 and waiting for HD locals the entire time. My patience is about to wear thin. I have spoken with engineers at all our local affiliates and they have all told me they get hundreds of calls from Directv customers who are mad because they deny the waivers. I have requested waivers at least ten times and been denied every time. None of the local stations want to give up business that they can never get back once they sign off on a waiver.

KGET actually houses equipment for Directv that is necessary for our locals to go live. The engineer I spoke with said it has been sitting in their building for around two years and no one has ever come to set it up. When I call Directv and manage to wade through two or three reps in India and finally get to someone who knows a little bit more than I do, they never know when HD locals will be launched in any given market.

I ended up emailing CEO Chase Carey at chase.carey@directv.com and telling him that I would switch to Brighthouse at the end of December if we don't get HD locals. I got a call from corporate headquarters within a couple hours. Unfortunately, the person who called also had no idea when HD locals would be provided in Bakersfield. She did say, that if more people complain that it might get things moving along at a quicker pace. Our market is a very low on their list of priorities and it is frustrating. I could care less about 90% of the HD channels they are rolling out. I would love to get NBC, CBS, ABC, and Fox. If the office of the CEO has no idea when they will launch, I have a feeling we have a long wait. Not one I am willing to make.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page